• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine (PC/PSN) |OT|

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
site_header.png

About This Game
http://store.steampowered.com/app/35700/

Winner, Best Downloadable Game by GameSpot's E3 Editors' Choice Awards
“Apart from the beautiful graphics, what made the game stand out was just how spot-on everything was--whether it was the controls, the interactions between the three characters, or the puzzle-solving mechanics, it's clear the developers spent a lot of time refining the gameplay.” full review
About the Game

Trine is a fantasy action game where the player can create and use physics-based objects to beat hazardous puzzles and threatening enemies. Set in a world of great castles and strange machinery, three heroes are bound to a mysterious device called the Trine in a quest to save the kingdom from evil…

The gameplay is based on fully interactive physics - each character's different abilities help the player battle an army of undead and defeat hazardous contraptions. The player can at any time freely choose whoever is best suited for the upcoming challenge or puzzle: The Wizard is able to summon objects to help solve puzzles and create new ways to overcome obstacles, the Thief uses her agility and dead-on accuracy to swiftly surprise the monsters, and the Knight unleashes mayhem and physical destruction wherever he goes.

* Mix Prince of Persia with Flashback, add true innovation and a great graphics engine… a new legend is born!
* 3 completely different characters to control at any given time:
o Wizard is able to cast physically simulated objects and levitate them in the totally interactive game world
o Knight is a mayhem-bringer like no other, able to destroy objects and smash skeletons to pieces with his weapons, including the mighty Storm Hammer!
o Thief can hit enemies from a distance with her accurate arrows but she also has a grappling hook to easily swing from one platform to another
* Solve challenges and puzzles in many different ways – combine the characters' abilities and let your mind come up with creative solutions never seen before
* Characters gain experience points that can be used to upgrade their abilities
* Fully interactive game world with life-like physics, including "ragdoll" enemies and more physics objects than you can count!
* Co-op mode for up to 3 players on the same system
* Based on the proprietary "Frozenbyte GDE" game engine
* Superb graphics with next-gen visuals using impressive technical effects such as bloom, reflections and realistic shadows, achieved by using state-of-the-art vertex and pixel shaders
* 15 carefully designed and challenging levels with a distinctly unique atmosphere and graphics, including the Astral Academy, Crystal Caverns, Dragon Graveyard, Forsaken Dungeons, Fangle Forest and the Ruins of the Perished.
* Many different items to collect - each affecting the characters' abilities
* Well-hidden secret chests in every level
* 3 difficulty levels to choose from
* Amazing 19-track soundtrack composed by acclaimed Ari Pulkkinen
* Unlock all the Steam Achievements

System Requirements

o OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
o Processor: 2.0 GHz CPU (Dual-core recommended)
o Memory: 512 MB (XP), 1 GB (Vista)
o Graphics: Radeon X800 or GeForce 6800 or better
o DirectX®: 9.0c
o Hard Drive: 600 MB
o Sound: DirectX compatible soundcard (not required)
o Multiplayer: Gamepads required for co-op play

Screenshots:

trine-20090625011947064.jpg

trine-20090625011954611.jpg

trine-20090625011956814.jpg

trine-20090625011959845.jpg

trine-20090601103434698.jpg

trine-20090601103438823.jpg

Gametap Special Edition

http://gametapblog.com/

GameTap Shop New Release: Trine

Trine

Frozenbyte’s latest release, Trine, is available now at the GameTap shop for $29.95. In Trine you’ll guide the three heroes (the thief, the wizard, and the knight) through a lush 2.5D fantasy world on a quest to save the kingdom. Rich graphics, solid gameplay and clever puzzles come together in what I believe may be a modern platforming classic. You can check out the demo right here.

I’m told the GameTap version includes some exclusive content, 4 wallpapers, and 3 songs from the soundtrack.

Buy Trine from Gametap

XBLA Version Confusion (Credit: BuddyC)

Sounds like all this "online co-op for Xbox Live Arcade" talk is a bit hasty.

According to developer fb_joel:

Quote:
The XBLA version and its features is just speculation at this point.

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopi...5&t=1708#p7451

Fellow developer FB_Lauri added:

Quote:
Here's a short course to "how the news change":

First, a relatively unknown site posts some news they have made up (I've asked about this from Atlus and they confirmed it's the site's own story):
http://www.primotechnology.com/2009/...perative-play/

Then, a bigger site only suggests that some other site is saying something, but does not actually say that this will happen:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59321

Last, another bigger site maybe reads the first bigger site a bit incorrectly, and now the news have again altered a bit (This is my guess, I don't know the source of the story):
http://www.*******.com/2009/06/29/tr...-july-release/

On the actual topic I will not comment as no-one knows anything about XBLA at this point, and I really hope when some people do know, I would be one of them.

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopi...5&t=1708#p7481

As for a possible patch that'll bring online co-op to PC and PS3:

Originally Posted by FB Lauri:
At launch, the co-op will be first on same system, but we will evaluate the possibility to release the network multiplayer later.

Originally Posted by fb_joel:
it's not really something you should count on - you should buy (or not) the game based on the current features and not on any future "possible" plans that we have. Sorry but I just wanted to be very clear on this.

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1629

Steam Achievements:

Astral Introduction
Complete Astral Academy

Academy Master
Collect all experience in Astral Academy

Hallways Master
Collect all experience in Academy Hallways

Wolvercote Master
Collect all experience in Wolvercote Catacombs

Graveyard Master
Collect all experience in Dragon Graveyard

Caverns Master
Collect all experience in Crystal Caverns

Crypt Master
Collect all experience in Crypt of the Damned

Dungeon Master
Collect all experience in Forsaken Dungeons

Castle Master
Collect all experience in Throne of the Lost

Forest Master
Collect all experience in Fangle Forest

Thicket Master
Collect all experience in Shadowthorn Thicket

Ruins Master
Collect all experience in Ruins of the Perished

Mines Master
Collect all experience in Heartland Mines

Village Master
Collect all experience in Bramblestoke Village

Forge Master
Collect all experience in Iron Forge

Tower Master
Collect all experience in Tower of Sarek

Master Collector
Collect all experience in the game

Completed!
Complete the entire game

What's Next?
Complete the entire game on Very Hard difficulty

Treasure Hunter
Find all secret items in every level

What A View!
Build a tower with at least 12 Wizard-created objects and stand on top of the tower without collapsing it

Whoops!
Kill 5 monsters with a single physical object drop or throw

Better Than Developers!
Complete Tower of Sarek without any deaths on Very Hard difficulty

The Cool Way
In a single level, kill one monster by jumping on it with the Knight, one with the Wizard's abilities and one with the Thief's grappling hook kick

Survivalist
Survive a level other than Astral Academy without any damage

Dead On Arrival
Complete a level with 25 or more character deaths

Still No Fireball
Conjure 500 objects in a single level

Undead Have Rights, Too!
Complete a level other than Astral Academy without any monster getting killed

Spring Master
Complete at least 5 jumps in a row on different skeletons without touching the ground

Way Out Of The Trine
Earn all Achievements in Trine

Trophies: Pending

BeeDog

The demo was great, so looking forward to the PSN version. With that Steam achievement lineup, can we expect a platinum trophy for it?

Ridley327

BeeDog said:
The demo was great, so looking forward to the PSN version. With that Steam achievement lineup, can we expect a platinum trophy for it?

The devs mentioned that it had trophies on par with a retail release, and since Wipeout HD is the same price and also has a platinum trophy to earn, I'd say it's a lock.

I'm up to the Crystal Caverns thus far and I am in love with this game. I'll be damned if I can find the last experience point in the Academy Hallways, though -_-

EDIT: Ooooh, tricky; it's hidden out of sight, so to speak; make sure to check that upper corner by the giant plank that's guarded by the patch of black crystals.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
BeeDog said:

No idea, all that has been said is there is going to be lot of Trophies.

BeeDog

Good to hear, hopefully it will be released next week then (with a price that's at most similar to WHD's). Good stuff.

Haeleos

Waiting for the gf to get home... going to co-op all the way through. The demo was a blast like everyone has mentioned a billion times.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
PSN when?
edit: apparently sent to Sony, no release date. demo after game is released.

What are the default button mappings for gamepad controls?

FrankT

Shard said:
The developer disagrees.

More like playing coy. That is pretty much how that statement came off yesterday anyways. More like we're focusing on this right now and this might happen later. You don't announce it at E3 to say silly things such as this, but it was merely to rebut speculation around co-op for the XBLA version. See right through that actually.

I can't complain though I got the PC version for $20 today and I'll buy the XBLA version as well.

Great fun playing this tonight, though I had to do a level over when I BSOD'ed right before the end of one (stupid currently unstable pc). I got to the Dragon Graveyard tonight, I can see a lot of replay value with this, I know I'm going to get every damn secret and experience as the level select tells me how many I'm missing.

bengraven

I like hearing the word "Flashback" being used when describing a videogame and it NOT be a storytelling device, but a reference to the actual game "Flashback".

I'm loving this game so far. The only thing that bothers me is that the narration during the load screens sometimes takes long pauses and I think he's finished and almost skip it; everything else is incredible. The music is especially great and it kinda reminds me of Morrowind.

Zeliard

Linkzg said:
I'm loving this game so far. The only thing that bothers me is that the narration during the load screens sometimes takes long pauses and I think he's finished and almost skip it; everything else is incredible. The music is especially great and it kinda reminds me of Morrowind.

Much like Rez and Braid, Trine has the perfect synergy of music and visuals. They compliment each other amazingly.

Zeliard said:
Much like Rez and Braid, Trine has the perfect synergy of music and visuals. They compliment each other amazingly.

But unlike those games, it has funny dialogue between the three characters as you play.

mujun

Unlike MS points I have no means to get PSN points from countries outside of Japan... I hope this is getting a simultaneous release on the Japanese store as well...

Crosses fingers.

Zeliard

Linkzg said:
But unlike those games, it has funny dialogue between the three characters as you play.

Haha, yeah. I like the voice acting a lot, too. It's charming and light-hearted. Reminds me a lot of Fable and LittleBigPlanet.

Rlan

Harri said:
It's been announced for XBLA by a publisher. You can remove the questionmark.

But there are a few hudles in the way of getting this game out on the platform - the game hasn't been given the official nod from Microsoft for concept approval, and therefore Atlus are unable to send out press releases or other information about the game.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Didn't know anything about this game earlier today. Saw an ad on Steam tonight, downloaded the demo, played for 3 minutes, deleted the demo, and then bought the game. :lol Awesome so far. Stuff like this (and Zeno Clash which I bought last week) really are making me fall in love with gaming all over again.

The last level is really hard compared to the rest of the game. Other than that, which isn't a bad thing, the game was really great. Steam says 7 hours, but I left the game on for good while and went off to do other things, so it's 7 hours maximum. I'll probably replay it because the levels seem build to allow a lot of solutions. I used the thief most of the way through and I might try again mostly relying on the wizard. There is even have new game+ and let you keep all your upgrades when you revisit all the old levels. I really liked the game.

bengraven said:
Humor?

Reeeeally? I was worried story would be bland.

Well, it sort of is. There are some light jokes here and there that are funny. Like,
the Wizard keeps trying to learn the fireball spell, and throughout the game, both the other two characters, the narrator and info text make fun of him for not being able to.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I guess I'll give a little impression.

First off I think it's a $20 game. I paid $20.

The characters are nice, voices are great, story is generic, gameplay is very good.

When I did puzzles and was running through levels everything just felt right.
Thief and grapple was my favorite because of range and swinging everywhere.
Almost every puzzle can be solved using which ever character you want.

Main thing that disappointed me was that you can't float those platforms you make like the early video showed, instead you get a wobbly floating pyramid.

I thought the ending was terrible too.

Bottom line is that if you enjoyed the demo you'd probably feel like you got your monies worth if you bought the game at $20.

Last stage is frustrating, but I beat it on my 5th try I think.

xbhaskarx

the game hasn't been given the official nod from Microsoft for concept approval

What the hell Microsoft. Hopefully this is just a formality.
But wasn't there a shooter Microsoft didn't allow on XBLA? Meanwhile any match-three puzzle game will be immediately accepted...

Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but about how long is a run through of this game? Fuckin' Idle Thumbs made me want this so bad but I'm wary of putting down $30 on the PC version, so I'll probably just wait for a sale or the likely-cheaper XBLA version.

Ventrue

MaritalWheat said:
Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but about how long is a run through of this game? Fuckin' Idle Thumbs made me want this so bad but I'm wary of putting down $30 on the PC version, so I'll probably just wait for a sale or the likely-cheaper XBLA version.

It took me 5.5 hours.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's been a pretty fun game so far.

it would be infinitely more fun if I were playing it in co-op mode, though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
MaritalWheat said:
Took 7.7 hours on my first play through according to Steam. Going to go back to finish up the few remaining experience bottles I missed the first go around.

vesp

Wonder if the pricing is the issue for the microsoft approval.

30 dollars (PC version) is crazy high for XBLA, and 20 dollars (PSN) is pretty borderline as well.

I'm not saying the game isnt worth it, I'm planning on picking up the PS3 or theoretical XBLA version, but I can see it being a somewhat tough sell.

I hope they do announce the XBLA version and detail release date/any possible extras before the PSN release so I can make an informed purchasing decision; but I'll most likely impulse buy it day one anyway because I love me some local coop.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's a shame the game is so expensive. I want to recommend it to people, because it is absolutely worth playing, but I can't really justify the price

dejan

Rez said:
it's a shame the game is so expensive. I want to recommend it to people, because it is absolutely worth playing, but I can't really justify the price
I thought it's 30$ for Trine and Shadowgrounds? Or was that just a preorder deal?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dejan said:
I thought it's 30$ for Trine and Shadowgrounds? Or was that just a preorder deal?

Just the preorder deal. I wasn't interested in Shadowgrounds at all so that deal didn't do anything for me.

I can't wait for this to go on sale so I can get it for $20 or less. The demo was fantastic. If I didn't have so many other games that I still haven't finished I probably would have bought it at $30.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dejan said:
hmmm, not sure. I didn't even realise I had Shadowgrounds sitting in my uninstalled games list. :lol

I know calling $30 expensive seems a bit cheap, but I honestly think it's a bit of a stretch. I have no issue paying it, but I know people who will. It's all about perceived value, I guess.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh my god, there's no way that last "challenge" was actually play-tested. I wanted to kill someone. It's shame that that was how the game ended, I don't like shelving a game with a bad taste in my mouth. Pro-tip to anyone having trouble:
equip the thief with the resurrection item, as her fire arrows break through the boxes thrown at you in one go, or at least, they did at fire arrow level two.

I found that I ended up using the Knight the least out of all the characters. Once I upgraded the Thief's bow to shoot three arrows at once and charge up super fast, I found that I was using her for most combat situations. The Knight's second power was useless, I found, especially since The Wizard always has the levitate ability. The Wizard was awesome by the end of the game, being able to conjure huge amounts of planks and boxes, as well as a floating platform was great. Once I unlocked the plank ability, he also become competent mid to long range combat. It almost felt cheap killing what would have otherwise been an evilly placed enemy with a plank of wood in the later stages. :lol

I can't wait to try this in co-op mode tomorrow with a friend. Great game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
edit: the game took roughly six hours to beat. decent length, it didn't wear-out its welcome, but keep that in mind when you're deciding whether or not to drop the dollars. It seems reasonable to me.

vesp said:

30 dollars (PC version) is crazy high for XBLA, and 20 dollars (PSN) is pretty borderline as well.

I'm not saying the game isnt worth it, I'm planning on picking up the PS3 or theoretical XBLA version, but I can see it being a somewhat tough sell.

I hope they do announce the XBLA version and detail release date/any possible extras before the PSN release so I can make an informed purchasing decision; but I'll most likely impulse buy it day one anyway because I love me some local coop.
The pricing has nothing to do with it. They're talking about Microsoft concept approval, not final software certification or anything like that.

Mrbob

Game is staying in the top 5 in steam sellers, which is awesome. Hope everyone picks this up.

I played the demo with the 360 controller and it worked great. The on screen tutorials even show the 360 controller when it is plugged in, so I have a feeling the game will eventually hit xbla.

Having said this, I'm not waiting that long for the game. It is painful enough I haven't bought it yet on steam, but I'm trying to hold out for the PSN release so I can play this game local co op. It is nice the game is $19.99 on PSN, but I would have paid $30 for this.

This game better hit the PSN store on thursday, or I think I'll break down and get the PC version.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Mrbob said:
Game is staying in the top 5 in steam sellers, which is awesome. Hope everyone picks this up.

I played the demo with the 360 controller and it worked great. The on screen tutorials even show the 360 controller when it is plugged in, so I have a feeling the game will eventually hit xbla.

Having said this, I'm not waiting that long for the game. It is painful enough I haven't bought it yet on steam, but I'm trying to hold out for the PSN release so I can play this game local co op. It is nice the game is $19.99 on PSN, but I would have paid $30 for this.

This game better hit the PSN store on thursday, or I think I'll break down and get the PC version.
I predict you won't make it through the weekend. :D

Azrael

vesp said:

I suspect it's just getting tougher for small developers to get self-published titles approved for XBLA. Microsoft doesn't want to flood XBLA with too many releases, and if it comes down to say approving a game published SEGA or a game published by Sidhe, the game from SEGA is going to get approved. There isn't as much support for PSN right now, and lots of bigger publishers like SEGA, Taito, SNK, and Square-Enix aren't putting all or most of their games on PSN, so there's more room still for a smaller publisher to self-publish a game there. Note that Trine is being self-published on other platforms but is going through Atlus on XBLA.

Jtrizzy

Azrael said:
I suspect it's just getting tougher for small developers to get self-published titles approved for XBLA. Microsoft doesn't want to flood XBLA with too many releases, and if it comes down to say approving a game published SEGA or a game published by Sidhe, the game from SEGA is going to get approved. There isn't as much support for PSN right now, and lots of bigger publishers like SEGA, Taito, SNK, and Square-Enix aren't putting all or most of their games on PSN, so there's more room still for a smaller publisher to self-publish a game there. Note that Trine is being self-published on other platforms but is going through Atlus on XBLA.

Trine is being published by Nobilis on PSN and PC. Also what games are you talking about that aren't coming to PSN? Other than Castle Crashers and Braid, I can't think of any games that I'd want if I didn't have a 360/PC.

Mrbob

DenogginizerOS said:
I predict you won't make it through the weekend. :D

I will hold out! Hopefully!

I believe the only version Frozenbyte is self publishing is the steam version (and upcoming impulse version). Frozenbyte devs mention if you want to purchase the most developer friendly version of trine on the pc, get the steam version. With no publisher to gobble up fees, they make the most money with the steam version. Even though it is 10 dollars less than the retail pc version!

I hope this game sells well. In between the huge blockbusters, digital download is where the mid size games need to go at mid range prices (half the price of a retail product). Games like Trine and Shadow Complex, we need more of these. Especially on 360 and PS3.

bathala

Banned
From the impressions 5-7 hrs. I'll wait for Steam sale, but I'm sold by the demo.

I hope this comes out on XBLA. the platforming screams for controller

Top Bottom