• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Tales of Monkey Island Thread of three-headed monkeys

Xater

sx16rr.png

It looks like nobone felt compelled to do a thread for this game, so here is my quick official thread for this game we all have been waiting for!

2yv1hls.gif

Developer:Telltale Games

Publisher: Lucasarts

System: PC and Wiiware

Release Dates for Episode 3:

Download from Telltale: September 29th Pacific Time

Price:

All 5 Episodes: $34.95

2heapsi.gif

While explosively stripping the evil pirate LeChuck of his demonic mojo, Guybrush Threepwood inadvertently infects the entire Caribbean with the arch-fiend's expelled voodoo, which threatens to transform buccaneers into unruly pirate monsters. Pursued by a notorious cut-throat Pirate Hunter and a creepy French Physician who believes that Guybrush's eerily-infected hand holds the secret of eternal life, Threepwood sails the seven seas in search of La Esponja Grande, a legendary sea sponge with unparalleled voodoo exfoliating abilities. But little does Guybrush know, his quest is part of a larger, more sinister plot, and good and evil are not always as they seem…

Who can Guybrush trust? Where can he turn? Everything you think you know will be challenged as Tales of Monkey Island builds to its unexpected finale!

2eeviiu.gif

zklfk8.png
Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

2nhdggj.png
Chapter 2: The Siege of Spinner Cay

wcizih.png
Chapter 3: Lair of the Leviathan

2h6atz6.png
Chapter 4: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood

4pwdwp.png
Chapter 5: Rise of the Pirate God

905yrq.gif

Chapter 1:
ipsgo0.jpg

mrxx5y.jpg

20suixe.jpg

2zsyzk0.jpg

2chkat.jpg

2mfx8r4.jpg

Chapter 2:
taleschap2.jpg

Chapter 3:
xlgl15.jpg

11j6bdg.jpg

2mpk5fa.jpg

34ry3r7.gif

Trailer
Gameplay

awz0pe.gif

Chapter 1:
Giant Bomb: 4/5
1 Up: A
BritishGaming: Must Buy
EndSights: 9/10
Buttonbasher
Vooks: 9.0
The Next Level: 4.5/5
Adventure Gamers: 3.5/5
Total Gaming Network: 8.5/10
Destructoid: 9
4 Color Rebellion: 8/10

Chapter 2:
Eurogamer: 8/10
IGN: 7.9/10

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Excellent thread! We needed one :D
I've already preordered the whole season, can't wait to play the first episode.

Xater

Jocchan said:
Excellent thread! We needed one :D
I've already preordered the whole season, can't wait to play the first episode.

Yep I was suprised there wasn't a thread for this game. I also just pre-ordered it. tuesday will be glorious. :D

Enk

makes good threads.
Purchasing the PC version day one. Hopefully my computer can run it decently.

epmode

I don't think you can buy the episodes individually. ..unless that functionality will only appear on Telltale's site after the episode is released.

Xater

epmode said:
I don't think you can buy the episodes individually. ..unless that functionality will only appear Telltale's site after the episode is released.

That's a guess by me. They usually offer them individually.

Kyosuke

I still can't believe there's a new Monkey Island game coming out in two days.

(Already preordered it, of course)

CiSTM

Banned
I pre-ordered it first day :) And only two more days to go and I can finally play it. BTW I have a question about the Wii version. My friend doesn't have a pc and he really wants to play these games. So will the Wii Ware version be drastically different when compared to PC version due the size limitation ?

epmode said:
I don't think you can buy the episodes individually. ..unless that functionality will only appear on Telltale's site after the episode is released.

From an email from Telltale:

Purchase info:

On PC, the five-episode Tales of Monkey Island series sells for $34.95, from www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland. After the monthly releases are complete, season customers will have the opportunity to get a Collector's DVD containing all five games and bonus content, for just the cost of shipping.

The Tales of Monkey Island episodes will also be released on WiiWare, with a schedule and pricing to be announced soon. There are no major differences between the PC and Wii versions of the game.

faceless007 said:
Anyone know if this game will expect knowledge of Escape from Monkey Island? I never bothered finishing that one.
I know of Monkey Island, but have not played it - Launch of the Screaming Narwhal has been my first one, and I'll put it like this: I currently am very interested in SoMI special edition.

nny

Pre-ordered a few days ago, counting the days now (in the meanwhile I've been playing the episode they offered with the pre-order, so it's all good).

Enk

makes good threads.
faceless007 said:
Anyone know if this game will expect knowledge of Escape from Monkey Island? I never bothered finishing that one.

That depends if they will keep the awful twist involving Herman Toothrot and the bastardization of Mêlée Island™ .

iammeiam

All I remember about EfMI is writing out, like, a page of notes on Monkey Kombat. So as long as ToMI doesn't make me feel like I'm doing homework, it'll be a huge step up.

Xater

faceless007 said:

Doubt it. It's not exactly a fan favorite. Even I played it just once.

@ JonathanEx: You never played a MI before? *gasp* Well at least it seems like you enjoyed it. You should totally check out the old games. Well maybe skip Escape.

Dougald

Already pre-ordered... it's gonna be fantastic!

Unless Telltale have become far less competent than I believe them to be

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
didn't even realise this thread existed.

I have my copy pre-ordered from TelltaleGames.com.

can't wait

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BorkBork said:
How much space does each episode take on Wiiware?
I'm not sure much it is in blocks, but I believe it will be the max MB available for a WiiWare game, meaning 40.

That's what Jake said in the other thread, anyway.

Whoa, it comes out in two days?

I never imagined they'd release it so soon after the announcement at E3!

With this and trine, big props to small PC developers breaking the summer slump somewhat :D

Sciz

Preordered day 1. Telltale doing Monkey Island was something I've wanted for years now but considered too good to exist. My jaw still drops slightly just thinking about it.

You might want to put up the recent screenshots by the way, as they're somewhat more attractive.

webrunner

You know, I kind of always figured (read: assumed) there was bad blood between Telltale and Lucasarts, Telltale was kind of a "well screw you we'll make our own company" to begin with, and then when they could they immediately snapped up the license they were let go while making.. it's interesting to see they're working together.

FoneBone

FoxHimself said:
From an email from Telltale:
All of Telltale's games have had their episodes available individually. The chances of this being an exception are nonexistent. (For those who are wary, you can buy any one episode separately, and then buy the whole season with the cost of that episode deducted.)

CiSTM said:
So will the Wii Ware version be drastically different when compared to PC version due the size limitation ?
It's being developed (albeit not released) simultaneously for both platforms. The WiiWare version shouldn't be any different in terms of game content.

Darklord

Banned
I'm near my download cap and can't this until the 11th. Noooo!

Edit: Actually how big is it? Might be able to just get it.

Darklord said:
I'm near my download cap and can't this until the 11th. Noooo!

Edit: Actually how big is it? Might be able to just get it.
287 MB on PC. Not sure if the review copy is the same size as the final one or not, but probably around there.

Darklord

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
287 MB on PC. Not sure if the review copy is the same size as the final one or not, but probably around there.

Oh, really? I thought it was bigger. I can get that.:D

Waiting for the Steam version, but will definitely buy immediately when available. Hopefully the some kind of "get the physical dvd's" deal can be worked out there, as well.

Zzoram

I'm waiting for the whole run to finish before I pick it up on Steam. I hate gettting just a taste of a good story then having to wait a long time for more on TV, and I will hate waiting just as much with episodic games.

commissar

I was going to wait on the steam release, but then I realised the bonus DVD is the actually the whole series, and not just some behind the scenes stuff I wouldn't care about.

This will sit nicely next to the rest of my Monkey Island boxes :3

Darklord

Banned
Zzoram said:
I'm waiting for the whole run to finish before I pick it up on Steam. I hate gettting just a taste of a good story then having to wait a long time for more on TV, and I will hate waiting just as much with episodic games.

Telltale are pretty fast with their episodic content.

Xater

Darklord said:
Telltale are pretty fast with their episodic content.

Usually they should be releaed on a monthly basis. They plan this stuff out ahead.

Also added the new screenshots.

BTW Pre-Order bonus time ends today on the 6th so be quick if you still want to get in on the deal.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sloane said:
That big? Wow. Wasn't an episode of Sam & Max around 80 MB?
The Wallace and Gromit episodes are around 500MB each, so it doesn't surprise me.

Jefklak

I can't unmute my laptop at work, can anybody confirm Guybrush's voice is still the same as MI3/the MI1 remake?
I'd love to buy this, but I'm not sure yet whether it'll be PC or Wii on disc when all episodes are released.

Top Bottom