• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Tales of Monkey Island Thread of three-headed monkeys

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jefklak said:
I can't unmute my laptop at work, can anybody confirm Guybrush's voice is still the same as MI3/the MI1 remake?
I'd love to buy this, but I'm not sure yet whether it'll be PC or Wii on disc when all episodes are released.

Yeah it's him.

Xater

Jefklak said:
I can't unmute my laptop at work, can anybody confirm Guybrush's voice is still the same as MI3/the MI1 remake?
I'd love to buy this, but I'm not sure yet whether it'll be PC or Wii on disc when all episodes are released.

Yes it's Dominic Armato doing the voice.

Jefklak

Completely awesome! :D
Oh shiz, I just saw the preorder bonus. I clicked buy, feeling a little bit guilty now...
I'm coming Elaine!

CoolS

I want to preorder, but I also want to play this on my Wii. If only I knew it would release this week on European WiiWare :/

Xater

CoolS said:
I want to preorder, but I also want to play this on my Wii. If only I knew it would release this week on European WiiWare :/

Wiiware will be later on. If you want to play it now get the PC version.

Damodar

Had it pre-ordered for about a month. Can't wait >.<

New Monkey Island!

EDIT: So do we have any word on what time this should be available. I bet telltale have their own 3 headed version of the PSN monkey.

VOOK

Zzoram said:
No reviews? I think it goes without saying that reviews should be spoiler free for a game like this.

12:01pm Pacific time on the 7th ;)

My review is spoiler free, only has information about characters that have been shown in artwork already. It's hard to do an adventure game review because the story is such an integral part.

VOOK said:
12:01pm Pacific time on the 7th ;)

My review is spoiler free, only has information about characters that have been shown in artwork already. It's hard to do an adventure game review because the story is such an integral part.
Yeah, this is true. Mine will be spoiler free as well. I think I'll have it up right when the embargo ends as well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I probably should get started writing my review, but I'm not done with the game. You know life sucks when you don't get much gaming time for the 4th of July weekend.

Zzoram

Will the reviews mention game length? I know it will depend a lot on our puzzle solving ability, as did the original games, but I'm curious.

I think The Secret of Monkey Island can be speed run in 40 minutes.

VOOK

VanMardigan said:
Yeah, I probably should get started writing my review, but I'm not done with the game. You know life sucks when you don't get much gaming time for the 4th of July weekend.

I sat down and finished it on Sunday because I know once the week starts I'm rooted for game time.

Zzoram said:
Will the reviews mention game length? I know it will depend a lot on our puzzle solving ability, as did the original games, but I'm curious.

I think The Secret of Monkey Island can be speed run in 40 minutes.

That's madness man - I'm mentioning the time, but I got stuck a couple times :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I got stuck for a solid half hour in one segment, but I can see how someone who already knows what to do can really blow through this game. But all games in this genre are like this.

Xater

Kinda sucks that the embargo is this late. I guess we may already play the game by then.

But I doubt that Telltale fucks up this game. Their previous games have been of qualitiy and I am sure they know the fanbase. ;)

Xater said:
Kinda sucks that the embargo is this late. I guess we may already play the game by then.
Telltale embargos are always this time on day of release. I suppose it makes sense as we're playing slightly unfinished versions, they want the reviewers to be able to double-check any bugs that will be fixed in the 1 week before release - and TT are very good at squashing those last minute ones, and still giving the press an early copy to review it for launch.

I'm not sure I'll mention time, it depends on your skill: I've had periods of being stuck, but I've figured out the puzzle soon after, without using McBacon as a Telltale hints line.

Oh, another reason why the embargo is late, I just thought - to stop a race for spoilers. It's the sort of game you experience best with not knowing exactly what to expect.

See, I said sort of, not actually implying this game, cause that may be impression of the game, and against an embargo.

Coop

civilstrife said:
Does it feature in-game hints like Sam and Max season 2?

Yep, not sure how it will work but I read an interview with David Grossman and he confirmed it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
how many hours away is the game from launch? it's hard to keep track of these things as an Aussie. :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Haunted said:
We have an official Monkey Island thread again? Warms the heart.

Indeed, though not for long, as soon we'll have two official Monkey Island threads, with the release of the remake next week. :)

VOOK

Bah I wish I knew when the WiiWare version was out, I mean I could put review up today but it still might not be out on WiiWare for a month or something - guess the PC guys want opinions too though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Pre-ordered! I've been hella cheap recently.. It takes a lot to get me to plunk down any more than 10 bucks for a game these days.. But this deal is too sweet!

First of all, it's Monkey Island. I've done too much bitching about the loss of this series (and adventure LucasArts in general) not to throw money at the people who finally bring it back. Second, it's $35.. That's actually very fair. Third, I like how Telltale handles the direct download/physical copy divide: you get both. The games downloadable now, and a shiny physical copy later. That pleases the collector in me, but also the impatient gamer in me who wants to play it NOW. I usually don't order games through the mail because I hate giving up money and waiting for something to arrive. I might pick up the two Sam n Max series DVDs too...

Can't wait to play part 1!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
VOOK said:
Bah I wish I knew when the WiiWare version was out, I mean I could put review up today but it still might not be out on WiiWare for a month or something - guess the PC guys want opinions too though.

I'm thinking that knowing the WiiWare pricing could affect my review. I just finished it, and I was debating whether pricing should factor into the review. I think it should, but I don't know how much the Wii version will cost.

Damodar

So if this hits at midnight, that's in... 2 hours?

It's been the 7th in Australia for about 15 hours. I want Monkey Island :mad:

JonathanEx said:
I'm not sure I'll mention time, it depends on your skill: I've had periods of being stuck, but I've figured out the puzzle soon after, without using McBacon as a Telltale hints line.
I was so tempted at times to PM one of you guys, but I was able to fight the urge. Although for future episodes...

Xater

Android18a said:
Yeah, Americans! Pah! I should have been playing this hours ago.

It sucks that we still have to wait but a ne fucking Monkey Island is only hours way! I still can't believe how excited I am just about the games existence. :lol

Jefklak

I bought Wallace & Grommit Epi1 as part of the pre-order bonus as my first Telltale game.

I must honestly say I'm a little bit disappointed.
Not because of the lack of "funny-ness" or story or so, but because of the extremely clumsy controls! Jeez I keep on bumping into invisible walls, turning wrong directions and accidently going to the wrong place. I've seen a couple of weird bugs so far (looking at jail, taking out the remote, the cut-scene with the police officer entering starts and whoop I can't see anything anymore except the remote.)

Most puzzles are way too easy (I hope this'll get better, I'm not so long in): Wallace basically just tells you what to do, and there are most of the times no special "things" required to execute. No multiple dialog lines to choose from, every conversation is just a cut-scene or am I wrong here? A lot of stuff on the screen isn't even examinable.

I hope Tales of Monkey Island will be a lot better!

Jefklak said:
I hope Tales of Monkey Island will be a lot better!
The controls in Tales are a mix of Wallace and Gromit and games like Strong Bad/Sam & Max. You can either use the WASD/Arrow keys (with a lot less awkward camera angles), or use your mouse as a virtual joystick (click and drag in the direction you want to move. It's the best of both worlds really.

Right, 8:01, here we go!

http://www.britishgaming.co.uk/2009/07/tales_of_monkey_island_1_screaming_narwhal/

For a franchise with such prestige, placing it in the hands of a different developer could be a risk – especially after it’s been resting for a few years. However, it’s turned out well, as Telltale has put out a worthy addition to the Monkey Island series. Launch of the Screaming Narwhal has a fun plot with some weird but fitting scenarios told through a funny dialogue and cast, with classic references sprinkled throughout the game without being too overbearing for those new to the series. The charm and unique logic of Monkey Island still survive through the puzzles and challenges, whilst still being really easy to get in to – and whether it’s your first adventure on the seven seas or you’re ready for more, this cannot be recommended enough.
The only major thing that has let me down after finishing Chapter 1… is that I’ll have to wait another one more month to see where Guybrush ends up in the next stage of his quest.
mustbuy.png

Enk

makes good threads.
It's a little disheartening that we don't have the might pirate poster himself here to take part in this occassion.

Splatt

Jefklak said:
Most puzzles are way too easy (I hope this'll get better, I'm not so long in): Wallace basically just tells you what to do, and there are most of the times no special "things" required to execute.

Turn off hint system and Wallace will stop telling you what to do.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
JonathanEx said:
thewesker said:
Buttonbasher said:
Here's my review too for what it's worth (stinkin video took longer than expected to encode):

http://buttonbasher.net/2009/07/07/...ch-of-the-screaming-narwhal-pcwiiware-review/
Thanks, guys. :)

nny

DevelopmentArrested said:
Kind of a weird question but can a share my telltale account with my other computer?

You can install your Telltale games on more than one computer, yes. You're not sharing an account per se, just the games...but that's what counts, right? ;P

Telltale FAQ said:
Is there a limit on how many times I can download or unlock a game I bought?

You can download the game as many times as you want. There is a limit on the number of times you can unlock, but the limit is so high you'll probably never encounter it. (The limit is simply there to prevent serial numbers from being posted to the web where hundreds or thousands of people can access it.) On the rare chance that you do use up your game activations, just email our friendly support staff and we'll be happy to increase it for you.

Telltale FAQ said:
Is it okay to install a game on more than one computer?

Yes, that's fine.

edit: it's the 7th already...give me my game. ><

Top Bottom