• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: CCP Announces Dust 514 Console MMO At GDC Europe

h0l211

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24886

In a surprise GDC Europe announcement, CCP CEO Hilmar Petursson has debuted Dust 514, a strategic first-person console MMO that connects in to the existing EVE Online universe, allowing ground battles for planets to be fought by console teams.

The announcement, with the trailer tagline of "one universe, one war", came at the end of a talk about the history of CCP. It left many GDC Europe keynote attendees -- perhaps expecting an announcement for World Of Darkness, CCP's other rumored project -- significantly surprised.

The trailer, with slick in-game graphics, showcased a space station and then slick, impressive first-person shooter gameplay. Petursson said that Dust 5145 is "our take on a console MMO", and was made after the company "looked hard at what people wanted to do on consoles".

It'll join space-based PC MMO EVE Online, which currently has more than 300,000 monthly subscribers, in the Icelandic-headquartered company's portfolio.

The project has been in development at CCP Shanghai for almost three years, and a release date and target consoles were not announced. The team-based game has the player "fighting in a massive war" on existing planets in the EVE Online universe, and is a standalone MMO title, "but is also connected to EVE", according to the CCP boss.

In fact, when Dust 514 launches, the map of EVE, currently divined only by player structures owned in the PC game, will also take into account infantry successes and failures within the console game. Players in the PC MMO can "fund mercenaries and give them goals" in the console title.

CCP's Petursson hope that "these communities will meld over time", expecting specific Dust 514 corporations to start with, but eventually social structures that bridge across the two. He quipped of the new game and the relationship between the two titles: "While the fleet does the flying, the industry does the dying."

As for the title of the game, Petursson said that he wouldn't give away why the title was called Dust 514, but that very clever devotees of the existing EVE Online universe might be able to work things out.

Zhuk

Banned
It's a great idea, and the best thing about CCP's server/subscription model with EVE is that it allows for moderately successful MMO's to be very profitable which is what others can learn from. I can't really think of anyone else I would like to see try the console MMO space.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ooooooh. This could be really great. An easier, more casual 'in' to the EvE universe perhaps. If they tie it closely to the PC game it would be great...like events in each affecting the other, back and forth, in a fairly realtime way.

I think lots of people admire the EvE universe and all the stuff that goes on there, from the sidelines...this could be an easier way to get involved themselves and experience it firsthand in a different way.

Hark

This definitely has the potential to go either way but god damn it sounds cool. I'm sure this would be a great way too get some new players into the PC game too.

Buggy Loop

Awesome, so we can already assume there will be 4 races all with different weaponry/armors? Would be cool if you could mod your guns like eve's ships :eek:

Raide

Sounds awesome but I really don't like...

Petursson said that Dust 5145 is "our take on a console MMO", and was made after the company "looked hard at what people wanted to do on consoles".

So they looked at the Console space and MMO's and thought that all Console gamers wanted was to shoot things? :lol Console gamers can do more than just shoot things in the face, don't water down the MMO experience just because you think Console gamers cannot handle it.

Ahh well, need to see some gameplay footage before I choose but if its just an MMO FPS with "Eve" stuck on as a cosmetic afterthought, then I might skip it. Just my personal opinion mind.

Sounds great, dont think it will be as great in practice..

Is this going to be on the Xbox, if so are microsoft back on the MMO ball (Final fantasy 14 xbox?..)

Hark

Raide said:
So they looked at the Console space and MMO's and thought that all Console gamers wanted was to shoot things? :lol Console gamers can do more than just shoot things in the face, don't water down the MMO experience just because you think Console gamers cannot handle it.

I imagine that what they looked was the constant leveling aspect of COD4/W@W along with the community aspects of Halo 3. It's entirely possible that they could mold that around a Mass Effect-esque experience.

Raide said:

Ahh well, need to see some gameplay footage before I choose but if its just an MMO FPS with "Eve" stuck on as a cosmetic afterthought, then I might skip it. Just my personal opinion mind.

People on GAF need to stop going out of their way to try to find a way to be offended.

itxaka

Defeatist
pretty cool.

I guess you would be able to join clans arleady established on eve online? or you act just as a mercenary for them?

mavs

Raide said:

CCP doesn't have a reputation for dumbing down. You won't need to worry about the scale of this game.

For what its worth I think it sounds like a neat idea although it has a big uphill climb to be anything other than a noble failure.

That franchise has no mindshare on consoles and it's competing with shooter games that while not mmo's are free to play. Then there is the question of even how good an actual game it will be which we won't know until it ships. Halo or Call of Duty or some other big time promoted new franchise might be able to get away with this but I doubt this will be the game to do it. But I wish them luck.

Raide

UltimaPooh said:
Sounds awesome as hell. I hope they pull it off.

Also come to the 360 if you want my moniez.

They should do it Cross Platform on PS3 and 360. Linking all 3 together will be really interesting to see it done. I wonder if they will go after MAG and have 512 players online! :lol

I wonder if people playing Eve have the ability to change what the Console gamers do? Maybe in the way of Upgrades etc.

Raide said:

I unno, I kinda just want to shoot things.

Raide

Son of Godzilla said:
I unno, I kinda just want to shoot things.

So do I, I just hope CCP are adding a vast amount of depth and Eve integration into it, else it may have a problem in standing out against CoD, Halo, Gears etc in the FPS space.

KHarvey16

Stoney Mason said:
People on GAF need to stop going out of their way to try to find a way to be offended.

If I tried to stretch as much as that poster I would tear a groin muscle. I will now wait for his interpretation of my post and what it says about my opinion of asians and vanilla ice cream.

JoeMartin

If this replaces Ambulation, I'll be mad.

If 13 year old raging halo xbox live kids have any significant play in determining sov, I'll be mad.

As a matter of fact, if it at all has any sincere tangible effects on EVE past superficial interaction, it'll probably be horrible for EVE, and I'll be mad.

Raide

KHarvey16 said:
If I tried to stretch as much as that poster I would tear a groin muscle. I will now wait for his interpretation of my post and what it says about my opinion of asians and vanilla ice cream.

Is that both at the same time or two separate things? :lol

Its only my personal opinion, I just feel that many Developers who are looking at making a Console MMO just focus too much on shooting stuff , Huxley, APB,etc it almost seems like Developers are avoiding making a classic MMO style game on consoles. :lol

Could they not just make Eve for the consoles? Have it DD and off we go! :D

KHarvey16

Raide said:
Is that both at the same time or two separate things? :lol

Its only my personal opinion, I just feel that many Developers who are looking at making a Console MMO just focus too much on shooting stuff , Huxley, APB,etc it almost seems like Developers are avoiding making a classic MMO style game on consoles. :lol

NEVER mix asians and vanilla ice cream!

I wouldn't judge their efforts too quickly. An MMO on consoles is gonna be tough to work out and really lends itself to some creativity. Let's wait and see what they come up with.

Raide said:

If they made regular EVE for consoles they would sell 15 copies and then go out of business after funding the failure. (Not that this shooter game is any more likely to be a success although that is for different reasons).

There are differences between what the console market and the PC market are looking to play. Being realistic about that is a virtue.

Raide

KHarvey16 said:
NEVER mix asians and vanilla ice cream!

I wouldn't judge their efforts too quickly. An MMO on consoles is gonna be tough to work out and really lends itself to some creativity. Let's wait and see what they come up with.

Maybe its down to not really enjoying Eve all that much but it will be interesting to see this game once they talk about it a bit more. I wonder if they are showing any footage off at GamesCon?

JoeMartin

Raide said:

It would literally be impossible to play EVE without a mouse. That, or the controls to navigate the UI through buttons and analog sticks would be irreconcilably complex and impractical.

Not to mention EVE's demographic is a tiny percentage of console owners.

KHarvey16

Raide said:
Maybe its down to not really enjoying Eve all that much but it will be interesting to see this game once they talk about it a bit more. I wonder if they are showing any footage off at GamesCon?

Sounds like they had a little gameplay shown. Says they've been working on it for almost three years.

Reading more and thinking about it, I really think it has some great potential. The ability for corporations controlled by players on the PC side of things to direct the objectives for the console players, and those console players ability to affect gameplay aspects for everyone is really interesting. Like everyone is saying though it all comes down to execution. If it's just a bad shooter no one will care.

KHarvey16 said:
Sounds like they had a little gameplay shown. Says they've been working on it for almost three years.

Reading more and thinking about it, I really think it has some great potential. The ability for corporations controlled by players on the PC side of things to direct the objectives for the console players, and those console players ability to affect gameplay aspects for everyone is really interesting. Like everyone is saying though it all comes down to execution. If it's just a bad shooter no one will care.
Historically, CCP's been really big on integration of game data into the outside-the-game experience. It started out as just some data shown on the forums, and they've been externalizing bits and pieces for years through their API. When rumblings about DUST being a console shooter started hitting the webz, I figured they'd find a way to tie that experience directly into the game (and vice versa) somehow, looks like that was a correct assumption.

Being a console shooter I hope to christ they do their homework based on the successes and failures of other consoles. Make it painless on day 1 (get your fucking servers ready for the demand), make it seamless to jump into games (especially with your friends), and get your controls nailed down before launch. I'd be surprised if they didn't do some kind of COD-style reward system, but what would be awesome is if the availability of those rewards or other supplies is directly tied into game data as well.

Busty

Banned
I'm seriously impressed, not only by the concept but by the vision and scope of a potential FPS -MMO that isn't coming from one of the major publishers or first party studios.

Putting aside any debate about whether they can really pull it off on consoles let alone make it successful, you got to hand it to CCP regardless.

Impressive (and exciting) stuff. :D

KHarvey16 said:
The ability for corporations controlled by players on the PC side of things to direct the objectives for the console players, and those console players ability to affect gameplay aspects for everyone is really interesting.

I'm sort of skeptical this marriage will work. It sounds interesting but I could see it being a bit disconnected especially when the player bases don't overlap. But at this stage it's all speculation anyway.

Of course the player bases are going to overlap, and they'll make damn sure they do. What are you people even talking about? Mrhrhrmmrpmrhmhrp...

JoeMartin

KHarvey16 said:
Reading more and thinking about it, I really think it has some great potential. The ability for corporations controlled by players on the PC side of things to direct the objectives for the console players, and those console players ability to affect gameplay aspects for everyone is really interesting.

All of it sounds like it could be interesting but it all also sounds arbitrary at this point. Direct what kind of objectives, and to what end? And to what degree will the console players affect the gameplay of the PC players? Just how closely will the games really be connected? Will it be a superficial link wherein the games loosely translate non-essential influence to one another, or will it goes as far as having direct market and sovereignty interaction, possibly even avatar interaction via Ambulation?

JoeMartin

Video: http://video.golem.de/games/2283/dust-514-ego-shooter-im-universum-von-eve-online-gamescom-2009.html

The presentation; trailer + talk.

Visuals look p good, if a bit generic and derivative. No footage of the RTS component.

zix1lu.jpg

eggandI

Banned
They should have just added this FPS portion to EVE. Nobody's going to buy generic FPS shooter #43985 because it has some arbitrary tie ins with EVE. Shame, I would have given EVE another go if this had been integrated in it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
two "slicks" in one sentence, Gamasutra?

Really?

=p

Gowans

This could be really interesting, hope to hear more on how this is going to work in news from the conference.

JoeMartin said:
Video: http://video.golem.de/games/2283/dust-514-ego-shooter-im-universum-von-eve-online-gamescom-2009.html

The presentation; trailer + talk.

Visuals look p good, if a bit generic and derivative. No footage of the RTS component.
Thanks for that, incorporated it into my eve blog. :)

I'm not sure it's fair to call it generic and derivative, I mean how many first person shooters out there aren't? As a long time player of EVE I think the visuals fit in perfectly with the established style of EVE itself, which is what I was hoping for. Gameplay wise it's too early to tell based on a short trailer and a smattering of gameplay details.

eggandI said:
They should have just added this FPS portion to EVE. Nobody's going to buy generic FPS shooter #43985 because it has some arbitrary tie ins with EVE. Shame, I would have given EVE another go if this had been integrated in it.

What's generic about it? I see this term used alot for this genre compared to others. The game looks what I expected to look like for a FPS set in the EVE universe IMO. Anyway, I think the whole idea for 514 is really great, and hopefully is available for PC's as well. I wish this guys the best of luck on this project, it definitively caught my attention.

Zenith

Banned
Looks amazing. Imagine being airlifted out of one sector before being redeployed in a completely different warzone to aid your corp, all in one universe.

Hope they integrate EVE more, so losing control of 1 system in EVE means your supply lines are cut in Dust. Capturing a district in Dust boosts production stats in EVE.

Top Bottom