• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment 78: Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Theme: Water

Submissions are due by Sunday, November 29 at 11:59 PM PST.

Voting begins Monday, November 30 and ends on Tuesday, December 1 at 11:59 PM PST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads, then by whoever can hold their breath the longest.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Judging by the results of the last contest, everyone should shoot in b/w. ;)

aidan

mrkgoo said:
Great stuff.

A bit of a twist on a previous assignment. Should be something that everyone should be able to get involved in!

commish said:
Judging by the results of the last contest, everyone should shoot in b/w. ;)

:lol

Zyzyxxz

Wow great theme, I hope everybody can get a submission that reflects it!

Since I'm in Colorado right now weather can be very random but who knows what kind of inspiration I can draw if it rains.

*edit*

wait shouldn't this be number 79?

mrkgoo

Zyzyxxz said:

Since I'm in Colorado right now weather can be very random but who knows what kind of inspiration I can draw if it rains.

*edit*

:lol

yes, it should be.

aidan

Zyzyxxz said:

*edit*

Yep! It wouldn't be a Photo Assignement started by me if there wasn't at least one thing I forgot to change!

aidan

Tf53 said:
I know, I just snapped this perfect shot of a waiter... oh.

Don't even bother, my friend Walter has been modeling for years. I've got this one in the bag.

Tf53

aidan said:
Don't even bother, my friend Walter has been modeling for years. I've got this one in the bag.
Oh yeah, wait 'til you see the wafers I got cooking!

I'll get me coat

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
4118089999_d787b1f2b7_o.jpg

Code:
Camera:	        Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure:	0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture:	f/1.8
Focal Length:	50 mm
ISO Speed:	200
Processing:	Photoshop Black and White conversion, sharpening and resize

Zyzyxxz

and we're off to a great start!

Tomorrow's my day off from work and I've yet to had the chance to photograph the colorado wilderness since I moved out there.

Hopefully I will get a chance to shoot something relating to the theme.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Please go easy on me. I dont have an SLR and sorry, but I took it just a few weeks ago. I may need to resize it....... can I do it in Picasa?

P1000226.JPG

Zyzyxxz

Dizzan said:
Please go easy on me. I dont have an SLR and sorry, but I took it just a few weeks ago. I may need to resize it....... can I do it in Picasa?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_4AMCgEu-BWY/SvfL4DAFdkI/AAAAAAAABGw/BMlS0NqtaGg/s800/P1000226.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]

nice pic but pictures need to be taken during the assignment period.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Zyzyxxz said:
nice pic but pictures need to be taken during the assignment period.

Thanks and fair enough. I will try take another. I am loving photography and I'm hoping I can become half as good as some of the Gaf photographers.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

(click for bigger, more awesome size)

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 42 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: On, Fired

Jeff-DSA

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY

3266428505_26a074ae68.jpg

Just figured I'd share and old one I took and maybe drum up some ideas. I'll be working on something in the next couple of days, however.

Dkong

Hmm, shooting a theme is hard! Normally I just walk around and shoot nice stuff when I see it. Going out with a theme in your mind and finding a subject and nailing the composition and exposure is a different thing. I came up with this for now.

mrkgoo

Dkong said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkong/4131679046/

Hmm, shooting a theme is hard! Normally I just walk around and shoot nice stuff when I see it. Going out with a theme in your mind and finding a subject and nailing the composition and exposure is a different thing. I came up with this for now.

Great shot. Yes, that's the entire purpose of the assignment. A bit of focus can really mix things ups, and also help you learn more about your own abilities.

Question: Like you, I always provide a link to my flickr when I post my images (it's actually in the terms of agreements). Do you do it manually? I found the link it provides me is not parsed into GAF friendly html format. If not, where do you get the link automatically?

Dkong

I just made the tags manually. I figure that it's not too much work for those few images that I put on GAF.

mrkgoo

Dkong said:
I just made the tags manually. I figure that it's not too much work for those few images that I put on GAF.

Oh ok, thanks. I do too, but was just wondering if you had found some secret way of doing that I wasn't aware of. I should probably just make an applescript or something. Thanks.

Dkong

mrkgoo said:
Oh ok, thanks. I do too, but was just wondering if you had found some secret way of doing that I wasn't aware of. I should probably just make an applescript or something. Thanks.

I recently got a 13" Macbook Pro, when you succeed in doing that let me know how :D the whole thing is hocus pocus for me.

mrkgoo

Dkong said:
I recently got a 13" Macbook Pro, when you succeed in doing that let me know how :D the whole thing is hocus pocus for me.

I have no idea myself, but sounds like the kind of thing that can be done with Automator.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Dkong said:
[waves on posts]

Love it man. Love the contrast, especially how deep the contrast on the posts is. The fastish shutter speed to get the spray in frozen motion and the sailboat in the background. Awesome shot. Looks good at any size, too. Excellently done, sir.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
4 Days More for Submissions, guys!! Let's make this a good one, the theme is so accessible to everyone!!! We are literally all surrounded by water!! (we're all surrounded?!!?!)

Zyzyxxz

Ok finally got something.

My current living situation has all of us in the restaurant living in the same house. The older guys love to gamble and sometimes they pull all nighters and end up sleeping at 6AM only to wake up 2 hours later for work.

They've left this bowl of water for to put out their cigarettes and have let it built it for days.

This is the result. I've decided to capture the dirtiness of water rather than the power or cleanliness that others may choose.
4136858192_bb9f7866db_o.jpg

D40, Nikkor 35mm @ F2.2, ISO 200, 1/50 sec.

Noone here in the UK near the flooded areas? There's no flooding here where I am, but surely there's some real photo ops with it all going on.

-Rogue5-

Yeah, I know this is technically video, but it's actually kind of still, too (or at least that's what I was going for)... And it was shot with a HDSLR, so that counts for something... Or no?

Slow Wave.

If no, I'm just gonna take a screen grab of the same thing.

Canon 7D, Canon 18-55 @ ISO200/100, f11, 1/250.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
We had someone in food and time make a gif of cheese melting on toast. I don't think anyone voted for it...

Do what you will, but I would try to get the best still possible.

Here is my entry, I just got my camera yesterday!

I know it's not very original, but I hope it's something

Camera: PENTAX K-x
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/160 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Focal Length: 55mm
Flash Used: No
Post-Proc: Sharpen/Blue filter

aidan

2uyrn2u.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 1.3 seconds
Aperture: f/29.0
Focal Length: 25 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Solaros

-Rogue5- said:
Yeah, I know this is technically video, but it's actually kind of still, too (or at least that's what I was going for)... And it was shot with a HDSLR, so that counts for something... Or no?

Slow Wave.

If no, I'm just gonna take a screen grab of the same thing.

Canon 7D, Canon 18-55 @ ISO200/100, f11, 1/250.
How far down in quality of camera can you go to still get a slowed sequence with quality like this?

I've been wanting to do time lapse and slow motion scenes, but haven't found anything conclusive.

Was the post processing work you did labor intensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom