• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Winter 2009 Backlog-a-thon

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Taking cues from Randam_Hajile's quite successful backlog-a-thon from Summer 2008, I figured we could use another one. Why now? The late fall gaming frenzy is over, and as GAF is no doubt aware, early 2010 (from late January to around April) is jam-frigging-packed with releases. The official 2010 gaming thread starts listing releases (sans Bayonetta) on January 26, giving me just a little leg room to make this work. Might as well jump into a bunch of new games guilt-free, eh?

I know this isn't ideal with Christmas in two days, but it is what it is. It's literally now or never, once Mass Effect 2 hits on January 26 there is not period of time where I could fit in a backlog-a-thon month without overlapping on releases. I'm thinking about pushing back the end day by a day or two if Christmas/Bayonetta prove too troublesome. I feel I should mention that this will hopefully immediately clear out Christmas games you get, preventing them from hitting your "real" backlog altogether. Hopefully.

Objective:
To see how many of your backlogged games you can complete in one month.​

Duration:
Start: Wednesday, 23 December 2009
End: Saturday, 23 January 2010 (or thereabouts)​

Rules:
  1. A backlogged game counts as any game you haven't played or finished ("beaten").
  2. Every game you finish counts as one point. You can tally your points regularly and at the end of the month in your thread posts.
  3. You cannot count games that don't truly end. (The Sims 3, etc.)
  4. The length of the games you play is up to you. Obviously, playing shorter games will result in more points. Spend your free time as you wish.
  5. All games played may be discussed in this thread and absolutely must be spoiler tagged, regardless of when the game was released. Example: [spoiler]This is a spoiler.[/spoiler]
  6. Backloggery.com is encouraged for in-depth tracking. My backloggery is here.
  7. Have fun!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just wanted to say that these are great ideas. :D

I can't participate though. =( Why? I don't have a backlog! :D

Unless this Steam sale tempts me of course.

HUELEN10

I AM FUCKING IN.

This time, for REALS. I'm Jewish (aka xmas is a non-issue), I have a game room now, some diet dew, and 2 weeks of free time...

LET'S DO IT TO IT!

First thing I am gonna do is finally update my backloggery.com account. Be back soon to post what I am hoping to accomplish!

Firestorm

Sure. My aim is to finish:
- Killzone 2
- Darksiders
- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
- Shadow Complex
- Super Smash Bros.
- LOST: Via Domus

That's more games than I finished in the last 3 months combined I think.

Edit: Changed my games a bit

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My Goals:

- Finish Suikoden (Playing now, good distance in. About to fight the vampire guy)
- Play Strikers 1945 for the PS1 when it gets here (Should be able to do a single play though in less then an hour, so that should be fast)
- Finish FFIV for the DS (Just got it and started, about an hour in)
- Beat Ace Combat 3 NA version
- Play though my Time Crisis Collection. I have only beaten 3, but have gotten every one, and a Guncon 1, 2 Guncon 2s, and a Guncon 3.
- Finish up Valkyria Chronicles
- Beat Mega Man 8 (Gotten to the second set of robot masters, but gave up during both attempts to beat it)
- Beat Mega Man X. Only ever finished X7, but I own the whole series. Really need to crack down. Did sell my copies of X2 and X3 for the SNES, but I have the X Collection, so its all good.
- Beat Punch out for the NES. Got a cart a few months back at Good Will, didn't get much farther then beating King Hippo.
- Beat Wind Waker.

There is 10 decent goals, lets see if I can get any of them done, and what happens in the end. And I am not spoiler tagging the non story driven games. If you didn't know Wild Dog didn't die at the end of Time Crisis 1, TOO FUCKING BAD D:

andymcc

Banned
Drkirby said:
My Goals:

- Play Strikers 1945 for the PS1 when it gets here (Should be able to do a single play though in less then an hour, so that should be fast)

you're calling a credit feed an actual finish?!?

hermit7

Ill jump in. Currently the backlog is pretty short but anyway.

NSMB Wii
Resident Evil 5
Batman Arkham Asylum

May also get Resident Evil 2 on PSN and play through that as well, and finish my current playthrough of Mass Effect.

stonedwal

I'm in. My backlog is ridiculous (well into triple digits), but my free time from February onwards will be compromised by study, so I need to get as many games as I can finished.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
andymcc said:
you're calling a credit feed an actual finish?!?
Yes. Got a problem with my standards D:

Sorry, just not that great at shumps. You would think after the 200 times I beat Metal Slug X I would be able to do better then 20 continues, wouldn't you though? Oh well, I maybe with anther 200 play troughs I can, down from 40!

AniHawk

I have:

-LostWinds 2
-A Boy and his Blob
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
-LittleBigPlanet
-Trine

No sweat.

HUELEN10

AniHawk said:
I have:

-LostWinds 2
-A Boy and his Blob
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
-LittleBigPlanet
-Trine

No sweat.
You can beat LBP? :O

Serious question here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm hoping to finish:

- Donkey Kong Country (VC)
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (VC)
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (VC)
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
- Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
- The Conduit
- Megaman 9
- LostWinds
- BioShock

Some of the VC games I've beaten before, but not the VC versions. Since I paid money for the VC versions I feel I need to beat them at least once, so they're counted as part of my personal backlog.

I'm close to the finish in a lot of the games I listed, and it's been that way for a while. I just want to finally clear those out. Because of this, I think the main playtime drains will be LostWinds and BioShock, as I'm fairly close to the beginning in both.

This doesn't count NSMBWii and SH SM that I'm getting for Christmas, but I don't think those will have enough time to hit the backlog. Shattered Memories is purportedly short, and NSMB is, well, Mario. It'll be hard to set that one down until I've beaten it.

Edit- Striked out games have been beaten

entremet

My backlog doesn't bother me. I don't derive guilt for not finishing games. If I don't finish a game, I move on to another one. Good idea, though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Here is a visual reinterpretation of what I want to get out of the way. Added some other stuff, and some stuff isn't pictured, but it should get the idea across.

1p84s4.jpg

Bii

Chromax said:
I'm in! I really need to progress a little into my backlog. :lol

I'll at least try to finish ME before ME2...

http://backloggery.com/chromax

Hot damn! And I thought my backlog was bad (or better? depending on how you look at it). Granted, I need to update my Backloggery with my black Friday haul, Steam sales and the dozens of Wii games I never entered. -_-

I'll join in the fun. I'm actually playing a few games right now so I'll at least get a few tallies. I've already started Torchlight and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Maybe I'll finish both by the end of the year. I also started Pop'n Music on the Wii but I'm not enjoying it much; maybe I'll go through and unlock all the songs. Of course, the one game that is hogging most of my playtime is one that I don't care to "finish": Modern Warfare 2. I haven't even touched the single-player yet and I've had it since its release.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chromax said:
I'm in! I really need to progress a little into my backlog. :lol

I'll at least try to finish ME before ME2...

http://backloggery.com/chromax

The House of the Dead: Overkill is like the easiest game to beat. It's super short too.

...you never beat Super Mario Galaxy though?! Start with that! :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MikeE21286 said:
love it...

1. final fantasy XII

im setting myself up for failure starting with an rpg huh.....
This is why I am "starting" out with finishing an RPG I am nearly done with, followed by arcade games, to arcade like games, and spacing out every few games with an RPG.

Yeah, I have like 350 games in my backlog. Why couldn't this have started a few days ago? I finally finished Suikoden and Parasite Eve.
Any tips for the vampire guy? He kicked my ass when I got up to the top of his castle.

Well I would try to participate but I don't know. I like to take my time and enjoy the games. I have yet to finish any of my 8 PS3 games, and I'm getting 2 more for Christmas.

Here is my backlog: http://backloggery.com/midnightscott

I just got Fatal Frame 4: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse in the mail yesterday and I guess played through the first chapter/tutorial thing. I'm waiting on the translation patch however!

I buy so many games yet have no motivation to play them. Help me?

I'm gonna have Thursday, Friday, and Saturday off from work. So I guess I'll start later tonight. I started playing Phantom Hourglass recently, maybe I'll try and beat that ^.^

Sounds like a plan. Once I get back from Atlantic City after Christmas (also Jewish, but Christmas is a cultural holiday more than a religious one at this point) I'll be ready to knock out some games. My backlog is currently in the 50s, but I'll just work on the games from this year to decide which one's belong in my top 10.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My Xbox Live just went silver tonight unexpectedly so I'll have about a week or so to knock out...

Fable 2
Dead Rising
Mirror's Edge
MW2's Campaign
Forza 3
Chrono Trigger DS
LocoRoco 2
Patapon
Megaman 9

On second thought, that'll take more than a week lol.

Certainly won't clear out my entire backlog in this time span, but I have a few goals.
  • The Void
  • Trine
  • Suikoden Teirkreis
  • Torchlight
  • Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Might toss a few more in there if these get polished up, though I do have a few more sandboxy games I've been meaning to put more time into (Galciv 2, AI War Fleet Command)

MidnightScott said:
I buy so many games yet have no motivation to play them. Help me?

Not to get into that argument, but buying games without intending to dig into them relatively soon after strikes me as a bit too impulsive. If something's on sale I can understand, but I see many people here buying things full price on release and then not playing them for months.

I should speak for myself though :lol I have tons of games I procured somewhere along the line that I haven't really gotten to yet, but I don't feel obligated to play through every single one of them. I'll probably end up getting rid of most of them somewhere along the line.

Becoming unemployed recently makes this timely, but unfortunately my x360 (where my backlog is by far the biggest) decided that it would RRoD a couple days into my self-imposed vacation time (boo!). So until I get it back from MS in a few weeks I'm focusing on PC and PS3

Here's what I'm focusing on:

- Dragon Age (PC)
- Secret of Monkey Island Special Ed (PC)
- Batman: AA (PS3)
- Dead Space (PS3)
- Mirror's Edge (PC)

Hellraizah

I always laughed at the idea of a "backlog".

To me, that sounds like playing these games are a chore and you need to put a deadline to "finish" them.

I used to buy to many games before and had no time to play them all. Now I only buy a game if I know I'm going to play it NOW.

I'm currently finishing the campaign in Gears Of War 2 and the only other game waiting for me after that is Shadow Complex.

SmZA

ShockingAlberto said:
Not counting Steam: backlog's not so bad

Counting Steam: oh god
If I participate in this thread my first task on my backlog will be to update my backloggery to include all the goddamn Steam games I've bought on special since the start of the year. This task alone will take hours.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Let's do this. I'M IN.

My backlog is impossibly large but I can at least put a dent into it. During my last big backlog-burning push this past spring, I was able to beat a game per week for 11 weeks. Let's see if I can do it again.

BTW, my Backloggery: http://www.backloggery.com/danthrax

Dascu

- Silent Hill 3 (just after the first boss)
- Zelda: Spirit Tracks (haven't started)
- Eternal Darkness (haven't started)
- Aquaria (an hour or two in)
- Shin Megami Tensei 3 (got raped by the Matador)

Ordered by priority. Still need to get these two games as well and I'd rather do so before the Q1/Q2 2010 onslaught: Muramasa The Demon Blade and Another Code R.

Note: I'm also having finals in January. Wish me luck guys!

Dynoro

This thread starting the same day as the Steam Christmas Sale is a scary prospect - I've barely cut into the backlog caused by the Thanksgiving Sale let alone anything else

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dynoro said:
This thread starting the same day as the Steam Christmas Sale is a scary prospect - I've barely cut into the backlog caused by the Thanksgiving Sale let alone anything else

Yeah I saw the two on the forum front page and I was like... well... if people buy a bunch of Steam games, maybe this thread will help them play 'em. :lol

Dreavus

The Last Remnant is probably going to eat most/all of my gaming time in between Christmas/holiday stuff and before I get back to school. Steam strikes again! :lol

On the last chapter of Super Paper Mario, little under halfway done Killzone 2, only in the second area of Deadspace, and I wanted to get around to playing MGS2 sometime this century. I am screwed.

SmZA

Preliminary candidates:

DS: GTA:Chinatown Wars, Advance Wars: DoR, Tetris DS Puzzles
PS2: Persona 3:FES (on Easy), Ico, Okami, We Love Katamari
Xbox 360: The Darkness, Saint's Row 2 (co-op), Viva Pinata:TiP, Op Flashpoint: DR (co-op), Beatles Rock Band (already completed story on Easy)
Steam (takes a big breath): Beyond Good & Evil, Borderlands (co-op), Call of Juarez:BiB, The Club, Dead Space, Defense Grid, Left 4 Dead 2 (co-op), Lucidity, Mass Effect (already completed on 360), Mirror's Edge, Mount & Blade, Overlord I & II, Peggle Deluxe, Plants vs. Zombies, Psychonauts, Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2, Secret of Monkey Island: SE, Strong Bad 2-5, Splinter Cell: CT (co-op), The Witcher, Zeno Clash
Impulse: Braid, And Yet It Moves
PC: Fallout 3

Most likely candidates out of above:

GTA:CW, Tetris, Ico, Katamari, Beatles, BG&E, Borderlands, Mirror's Edge, Peggle, PvZ, Psychonauts, Witcher, Zeno Clash

I'm not very far into The Witcher so I think that'll be the toughest to get done; the others I'm either close to finishing or they're known to be short. Borderlands and a few other co-op games will be dependent on availability of friends.

Nakazato

Dreavus said:
The Last Remnant is probably going to eat most/all of my gaming time in between Christmas/holiday stuff and before I get back to school. Steam strikes again! :lol

On the last chapter of Super Paper Mario, little under halfway done Killzone 2, only in the second area of Deadspace, and I wanted to get around to playing MGS2 sometime this century. I am screwed.
you can beat mgs 2 in a lil under 7 hours my record is 3 1/2 (skipping cut scenes)

my backlog is
FF7- still on 1st disc
Valkyria chronicles
yakuza 2
killzone 2
persona 3

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Why on the week of the "OMG Greatest Steam Sale Ever, Jizz Everywhere!". Not to mention, most of the games I'm getting aren't quite ones that I have a finish period with. Anyways, what I'll try to get through.

Conan(360)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance(360)
Mass Effect(360)
Bladestorm(360)
Last Remnant(PC)

Being Fair, Killing Floor, TF2, Torchlight and most like Europa III will be taking up my time. With some Mushihime on the Xbox thrown in.

squall211

I'm in!

My backlog is the only reason I have not caved in and imported Final Fantasy XIII.

Anyway, my goal is to finish:

Ratchet & Clank Future: ToD
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed 2
Killzone 2
SMT: Nocturne (I have a saved game that's roughly 70% of the way through).

If I can get through those by Jan. 26th that'll put a decent dent in my backlog. It'll still be huge, but a bit more manageable!

Dynoro

Andrex said:
Yeah I saw the two on the forum front page and I was like... well... if people buy a bunch of Steam games, maybe this thread will help them play 'em. :lol
:lol Very good point - now to clear the backlog of games to add to my backloggery :lol

Polk

Ok, I'm in.

My goals
- finish Hitman: Blood Money
- finish Sam & Max Season Two
- finish Final Fantasy 1
- finish Punisher (I can't find 1st CD required to play though)
- finish Bionic Commando: Rearmed

my backloggery

I left my next gen consoles at my home. Spending christmas with my parents, I will have time to work on my PS2/DC/Saturn backlog.

For now:

Yakuza 1/2
MGS 3

My goals:
*Finish the last part of Dragon Age.
*Play through Wallace & Gromit S1E02.
*Play trough Mass Effect PC enough so I get a clear picture of whether or not Mass Effect 2 is something to buy.
*Try to complete Gravity Crash, even though the structure of the campaign mode is quite stupid.
*See if I can get Empire: Total War running again, so I can beat the a small campaign mode at least.
*Play enough Populous DS to decide if I should keep it or not.
*Buy and complete Time Gentlemen, Please!.

But since I started with backloggery.com in March I have gone from over 20 unbeaten games to no more thant 9 at most, even though I purchased 25 games this year.

stupei

The current priorities:
- Mario & Luigi 3: Bowser's Inside Story
- NSMBW
- Uncharted
- Demon's Souls
- Little King's Story
- Uncharted 2

When vacation is over and I'm back with my 360:
- Dragon Age
- Assassin's Creed II
- Mass Effect [replay before ME2]