• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tumbledrop iPhone out Friday

dock

tumbledrop-screenshot1.jpg
tumbledrop-screenshot2.jpg

tumbledrop-screenshot3.jpg
tumbledrop-screenshot4.jpg

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHuGAZudQ3E

This is Tumbledrop, a game I made. http://tumbledrop.com

You can also play the original PC version of the game here (browser based, but uses the Unity3D Plugin).

Just a little history, I used to work doing artwork for games like LostWinds and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2+3, but I went indie in 2009 and this is my first iPhone release.

I posted Tumbledrop on Neogaf a while ago, and some Neogaffers helped me out a lot with the testing. I had to put this on hold during part of last year, but it's finally finished and comes out on the App Store tomorrow.

Love the style, looks like it plays a bit like one of the modes in Finger Physics, just waaaay cuter!

May as well get it out of the way: how much is it?

Eccocid

oh sold! looks cute loved the art style!
I should also check GAF ıPhone Dev thread, i have so much free time lately i would like to help developers in art department if anyone looking!

Vinci

Danish
This looks awesome, man. I finally get my iPod Touch, I'm grabbing it for the wife. Looks like her kind of game.

Littleberu said:
Holy crap YOU did Tumbledrop?

Came here to post this. I gave this game a go some time back (like over a year) when it was JiGged. Fun little diversion.

I don't own an iPhone, but best of luck to you.

dock

BitchTits, I'm in the UK :)

I can confirm this is now available in the UK store! Yay!
Is it available in USA yet?

tmaynard

Great work! I wish I had an iPhone so I could support you!

It seems like you're going to get plenty of GAF backing though. I'll definitely remember this if I ever pick up a iPod Touch or iPhone.

Also, as a big fan of both RCT2&3, could you go into some more detail about the artwork you did?

Best of luck on your release tomorrow!

ShinNL

If I had an iPhone I would sooo buy that. Totally my style. If I had a game company I would try to hire you xD

Recoil

This looks absurdly like another game I've played recently. A flash game on the internet where you have to save the happy blocks, and get rid of the grumpy ones, very similar graphical style and gameplay aims? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Lemme go see if I can find it...

dock

Recoil, Tumbledrop first came out in October 2008, and there have been a few similar games released since then. I've added a lot to the new iPhone game though.

I hope it shows up in USA and Canada soon!

Recoil said:
. I have to say though, I actually like Red Remover's graphical style better.
wow. really?

I mean... really?

edit: ok this redremover game is pretty dang similar to Tumbledrop, only way less good (and a year later). I too am all for respecting that people can have similar ideas simultaneously, but theres a lot of "very iffy similarities" in this case. Thankfully it's simply not comparable in quality to Tumbledrop...

Recoil

Oh, I don't know -- or even care really, which came first. I'm all for respecting that different people can have the similar ideas, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm fairly sure both games were developed and conceptualized independently. Just pointing out the similarities, I thought it was curious.

edit: Also note that the aims of both games are different. Red Remover wants you to get rid of the unhappy blocks, Tumbledrop just wants you to save the star. It's just the game mechanics and style that are similar.

Recoil

Cromulent_Word said:
wow. really?

I mean... really?

Yep. It lacks refinement, and certainly Tumbledrop has a huge edge there. I love the faces in Red Remover though, I think they're damn cute -- cuter than the ones in Tumbledrop -- and I like how they stay upright, even as the pieces themselves tumble around.

I'm also a big fan of the cheer at the end of the level with big smiling faces across all the blocks. Red Remover makes you feel GOOD about finishing a level. Those two details really help with the personification of the pieces in the game, and make you care for them.

I also think, as polished as Tumbledrop's art style is, it's a little too sugary sweet. I feel like I'm getting cavities just looking at the screenshots.

But hey, as they say, opinions are like assholes.

grumble

This looks like a great game, made even better because it's made by a gaffer. I don't have an iPhone or else I'd pick it up, but I'm sure that lots of gaffers will pick up the game since it's apparently really good and it's pretty cheap.

dock

Oh, cool, it's out in the US store now too!
Thank you for purchasing it! Please give it a review if you like it. :)

dock

sprsk said:
If you haven't already, you should release this on the JP store.
It's available in Japan, but it doesn't have a Japanese localisation. Hopefully it's straight forward enough for non-english players!

red shoe paul said:
Just got to level 21 and when I lost, it locked up on me. Tried it again and it froze up. :<
Same here. Happens if you fall into the water or if you float into the air.

Ok, beat 21, but then when I failed 22, same thing happened. :(

dock

red shoe paul said:
Just got to level 21 and when I lost, it locked up on me. Tried it again and it froze up. :<
Oh no!!! D: Thank-you for reporting this!
It does seem there is a bug in level 21 where the game freezes if you fail or reset. If you beat the level it can 'get past it', and you don't lose any progress, but it's still a bad bug! I'll make a fix and resubmit!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Ahhh, was wondering when Dock's super mysterious game would come out. :D

Just downloaded it now.

I hope the unwashed App Store masses look past the >59p price point. :lol It's a great game!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'll be honest, I'm not super interested in the game based on the screenshots.

But this is GAF, dammit, and if someone here made it, then I'll buy it.

Top Bottom