• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dragon Quest VI Import Thread of DQIX Hasn't Even Been Translated Yet

246p3rb.png

Hello everyone and welcome to the official import thread of Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie. We've got a really great show for you tonight, with a variety of guests including Bebpo, duckroll, Aeana, musical guest Bon Jovi, and of course G.E. Smith and the NeoGAF Band. I am tonight's host, Segata (the last name comes first) Sanshiro. First off, for all of the ladies and gentlemen out there who just want the bare facts without the shitty comedy, here's a proper OP from the Count of Spectacular, aka Kishgal. Kishgal will make a really fine non-junior someday if he can avoid our attempts to bait him into a ban. Ha ha, just kidding, Kishgal. Or am I? Well, I'll let you figure that out. Anyway, thank you Kishgal!

FACT FILE:
Title: Dragon Quest 6: Realms of Reverie
Developer: Arte Piazza
System: Nintendo DS
Genre: RPG
Release: January 28, 2010
Trailer: click here!

Information

Dragon Quest 6 was originally released for the Super Famicom in 1995, and is the third and final game in the Zenithia trilogy. It's the first game in the series not developed by Chun Soft, and represents a new direction for the Dragon Quest series as a whole. It features a unique dual world scenario, but instead of light and dark worlds, there's the "real" and "dream" worlds. It also focuses much more on the little vignettes than any of the previous games, and was only really surpassed in that respect by DQ7.

It also brings back the class system from DQ3, but changes it a little bit. Character levels and class ranks are separated, and there are now 16 different classes to choose from. It's the precursor to the class system in 7.

There isn't much known about what's new or changed in the remake right now, except:

- Beastmaster can no longer recruit monsters. Instead, they have a new monster-oriented skillset and you can recruit various slime enemies through events now.
- They added a new touchscreen minigame, Slime Curling (HOOOOOOOLLLLYYYY SHIIIIIIIT!! - Smilin' Segs).
- It has the "chance encounter" system that's been in all of the other DS DQ games, which allows you to share your dreams with other players.

Screenshots

2iu9u84.jpg
ht7huh.jpg
161g1w.jpg

1zwomci.jpg
30ikkfr.jpg
nq2ycx.jpg

END USEFUL PART OF OP

Thanks again, Kishgal! You're a frood who really knows where his towel is!

Who this thread is good for:

- Super Awesome people who are importing the game and want to share their impressions and experiences!
- Awesome people who plan to buy this when it comes out in English and want to get some early impressions!
- Cool people who want to ask some questions about this or Dragon Quest in general in order to decide if they want to buy it!
- Attractive people who frankly brighten up any location!

Who this thread is not-so-good for:

- FF dorks who want to be startin' shit.
- wRPG dorks who want to be startin' shit.
- Handheld haters who want to be startin' shit.
- People who use the words 'archaic' or 'slow' to describe DQ.
- Himuro.

So, what to say about Dragon Quest VI? I don't know much, as this is the only DQ game I have not played. As ever, I think we can expect one hell of a great adventure with interesting characters, wonderful music, and some nifty strategic combat. If any of you remember the first Dragon Warrior Monsters game on the Game Boy, that dude Terry is from this game. Um, that's all I've got for now, but hey, impressions in a couple days, yes?

Q&A

Q: Do I need to have played Dragon Quest IV or V to enjoy this one?

A: No! IV, V, and VI are described as a trilogy, but it's a loose one. You can jump in on any installment.

Q: When is this coming in English?

A: Man, I don't have a hot clue. Scuttlebutt is that this is coming before DQIX, but that's about all I can say.

Q: If I liked *insert DQ mainline title here*, will I like this one?

A: Very likely, though not all DQVIII fans have been able to appreciate the joys of the better entries in the series.

Q: GRRR! I HATE TURN BASED GAMES! IS THIS TURN BASED?

A: Yes.

Q: Why is this on Nintendo DS and not an HD system?

A: Some questions have difficult answers. Like, why were you not born in the vacuum of space so that I would be spared this question?

Q: Why do all of these man-guys look like Goku?

A: Same artist.

Q: Bawwww-beee! They re-used the same sprites from DQVII *again*?

A: This is a common misconception, but actually these are re-occurring cameos! How could we have a DQ game without Oscar the Green-Suit Merchant Guy, Hadley the Old Man With Cane, and best of all, Chutney the Guy That Wears That Horn Hat Mask Thing? Delightful! They are like DQ's answer to Moogles, Chocobos, and zippers!

Q: OMG I CAN'T STOP TOUCHING MYSELF

A: (sigh). Put your damn pants back on, Thunder Monkey. This is a family restaurant.

Okay so! I'll update this OP with impressions from all three people that buy the Japanese version and the several others who pretend they imported it but actually just pirated it, but for now... I bid you good day and happy hunting!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DQ VI. Oh man. The memories.

I both love and hate this game. Most of that hate will be fixed by finally playing the game in English sometime this year, I imagine. I also was not a big fan of job class games way back in the late 90's when I first played this one fateful summer vacation.

watkinzez

I am one of the ten DQ fans, but seeing as my purchase of the English version is guaranteed this thread does little more than provide the tinge of jealousy.

Oxx

I'm in the 'Waiting for English Version' camp.

I was a little late on DQIV and ended-up finishing it at the same time DQV came out. As a result I put V away for a while so I didn't overdose on Dragon Quest.

But after DQV became one of my favourite games of all time there is no way I'm waiting any longer than necessary to play DQVI.

And I'd be delighted if it comes out before DQIX.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I played the Super Famicom version of this in Japanese and didn't understand anything, so I decided that the main character's name was Joey and he was dying his hair blue because he was going through a rebellious phase while searching for his estranged father and then all of Joey's friends left him because he was a bit of a dick but it was okay because he started making new friends and also some old friends who decided that he maybe wasn't as big a dick as they thought because you know he was going through some hard times and was just lashing out but he was really a good kid at heart. And then Joey found his father but his father wasn't happy to see him and was actually a monster and also his uncle simultaneously because hey it was a small town and that sort of thing happens and damn what society says about it and so Joey beat him up but that left him feeling empty and still angry at the world because he didn't really get any closure but then he found a job system and that's about when it got too confusing for me to keep on going.

I don't think that that's actually the plot of Dragon Quest 6, and that's just a shame.

ixix said:
I played the Super Famicom version of this in Japanese and didn't understand anything, so I decided that the main character's name was Joey and he was dying his hair blue because he was going through a rebellious phase while searching for his estranged father and then all of Joey's friends left him because he was a bit of a dick but it was okay because he started making new friends and also some old friends who decided that he maybe wasn't as big a dick as they thought because you know he was going through some hard times and was just lashing out but he was really a good kid at heart. And then Joey found his father but his father wasn't happy to see him and was actually a monster and also his uncle simultaneously because hey it was a small town and that sort of thing happens and damn what society says about it and so Joey beat him up but that left him feeling empty and still angry at the world because he didn't really get any closure but then he found a job system and that's about when it got too confusing for me to keep on going.

I don't think that that's actually the plot of Dragon Quest 6, and that's just a shame.
You should work for Square.

neo2046 said:
Jesus and Buddha, my friends. Jesus *and* Buddha.

ixix

Segata Sanshiro said:
You should work for Square.

I know! But the last time I sent them a resume it came back wrapped in a restraining order.

ixix

Ourobolus said:
What about Bartz and his band? DID YOU FORGET ABOUT THEM?

Bartz and I had certain creative differences. I thought changing my avatar would make me fly under the radar and nobody would remember that I just sort of up and didn't finish that.

I screenshotted the rest of the game and even wrote another update and a half that I didn't end up posting because by the time I finished them everyone else had already finished the game including me and bumping a thread repeatedly with what amounted to GG Allin/Final Fantasy V crossover fanfiction started feeling like a step down a dark path from which there is no escape.

Ourobolus

Banned
ixix said:
Bartz and I had certain creative differences. I thought changing my avatar would make me fly under the radar and nobody would remember that I just sort of up and didn't finish that.
I've been awake 24 hours a day since your last post, waiting (nay, yearning) for the next installment in the saga. I ended up creating my own ending, but after the booze-ridden sex-filled climax I couldn't make it to the denouement. Alas.

On-topic: Can't wait for DQ6. It, 3, and 7 are the only ones I have left to finish.

Pyrokai

When you say translation in your FAQ, OP, you don't mean a fan transaltion, do you? Like, this is coming out in the US at some point, right? :p

Pyrokai said:
When you say translation in your FAQ, OP, you don't mean a fan transaltion, do you? Like, this is coming out in the US at some point, right? :p
The English version was announced at the same time as DQIV and DQV DS, right down to the logo and name registration for "Realms of the Reverie". So yes, in spite of DQV's embarrassingly low sales, this should still come in English.

Woo Dragon Quest VI! Comes out on my birthday, so I have to persuade my brother to buy it for me. Otherwise i'll be buying the English version.

Ledsen

I really, REALLY want to import this. The problem is that I'm also playing DQ5 and DQ9 :/ The fact that my japanese is not exactly amazing yet (I'm playing the japanese version of 5) makes it unlikely that I'll be importing this anytime soon :( But it looks so damn good...

Sinople

DQVI is my least favorite in the series but I'm willing to give it another chance with this remake.
(When I'm in the mood for some DQ though, so not yet...)

Celine

john tv said:
DQ releases are like holidays out here. So excited!

DQ6 is like three times as long as DQ5 was. Can't wait!
90 hours ? :-\
I played a few hours of the Super Famicom version and I really like it although the class system is to much time consuming.

Regardless day one when it'll arrive in Europe ( the same apply for DQIX ).

To be honest I'm not in a hurry to get those two simply because I've just started DQ VIII this past weekend for the first time :)

EDIT

Sinople said:
DQIV is my least favorite in the series but I'm willing to give it another chance with this remake.
(When I'm in the mood for some DQ though, so not yet...)
Could you explain why ?
I'm relatively new to the serie ...

duckroll

Cool thread. I'll provide moral support, but I won't be picking up the JP version. The US versions of DQ need more extra sales than the JP games do. :(

C-Jo

I'll be waiting for the English version as well. Hopefully they don't release it and DQIX too close together.

squall211

Where does this rank between IV, V, and VI? I have IV, and have been playing it a little bit here and there, but I haven't really found it to be anything special so far.

Sinople

Celine said:
Could you explain why ?
I'm relatively new to the serie ...

It's just that I found it too long, with a bad pacing, and hard for me when I played the SFC version. Plus, I didn't find the characters appealing compared to IV et V.
But I know it is the favorite of a lot of DQ fans.
And my opinion may (and certainly will) change now that I know what to expect. After all, DQVII was even more long with an arguably worse story and I really liked it.
Hopefully, there's less grinding involved for leveling jobs than the original.

Hobbun

I’m really looking forward to this game. Loved DQ IV and especially V. Hope we hear something about this at GDC.

geinou

Neo Member
I really loved DQ IV and V, but never got the chance to play Dragon Quest VI. But I'll wait for an english version. Yet, I beat Dragon Quest IX, but only understood like 30% of the game.

ElFly said:
So, why there are people who wear those horn hat mask thingies?
Well, it might surprise you to know that those are actually flu masks! As their job involves working with the public, they are at high risk of catching the Orc Flu. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

thefil

I wonder what the chances are of this one having a mostly-complete English translation (accessible via romhack) like IV and V did? If it does, I might import.

DQ VII, VIII, IV and V have made Dragon Quest one of my favourite series. I've started VII several times, but always get distracted by other things. Still, it's my favourite in the series just because of all the delightful little stories and the way time affects the world. I kind of doubt that the NES entries are worth playing, but if they are, I hope Square gives them the DS treatment as well.

The fact that VI is 3x as long as V scares me, given how I haven't been able to get through VII. Still, looking forward to this game more than most other things this year.

Owensboro

Pureauthor said:
All this thread is going to do is to make us english-speaking players jealous, you know that right.

I was jealous the instant I read the thread title. This is still the only DQ I haven't beaten yet (well, the ones in English) and I'm super pumped to try when it finally comes out in good ole USA. Curse all you people smart enough to speak two languages!

ElFly

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, it might surprise you to know that those are actually flu masks! As their job involves working with the public, they are at high risk of catching the Orc Flu. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

What purpose do the horns have, epidemiologically speaking?

Kishgal

Banned
Getting both the US and JP versions, as usual. I've been waiting for DQ6's remake for such a long time, as it might be my favorite game in the series.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So hyped for the english release of this, hopefully Europe gets it early again. Each game I play gets me more into the DQ world, my hype levels are quite monolithic for this baby!

hipgnosis

Pretty hyped for this game, waiting for the English version as well. Never played VI, but heard it was good.

So we are getting VI and IX this year? Or maybe 2011?

Oh and I need to finish V before this arrives.

Kishgal

Banned
hipgnosis said:
Pretty hyped for this game, waiting for the English version as well. Never played VI, but heard it was good.

So we are getting VI and IX this year? Or maybe 2011?

Oh and I need to finish V before this arrives.
Should get at least one of them this year.

Top Bottom