• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dragon Quest VI Import Thread of DQIX Hasn't Even Been Translated Yet

Kishgal

Banned
The hand reviving thing was a change they made in the remake, and I almost got killed because I wasn't expecting it.

Well ok, hope that prepares me beforehand for the final boss when I do play the game.

BTW Red Scarlet, you've got a lot of moe in your rotating avatar. I'm surprised I haven't yet spotted Kaleido Ruby in there.

Red Scarlet

Bebpo said:
Ok beat it. Ended up unlocking dragon class for the hero after I got seikenzuki so I used that since it upped his hp from 250 -> 450 going from mahou senhi to it. Party was up to lvl.40 by this point.

I went in and was very careful not to use any MP until the boss.

1st form:
Chamoro - fubaba to lower damage on magics
Amos - sage stone
Hero - bikilt on hassan
Hassan - bakuretsuken

fubaha only works on breath attacks; magic barrier is what lowers damage from spells. :(
Does bikilt+bakuretsuken do any more damage in this one? On the original I think it makes the first hit do more but that's it.

Bebpo said:
THE FAQ SAID ONLY HIS LEFT HAND COULD REVIVE. So I killed his left hand AND THEN HIS RIGHT HAND REVIVED IT and things went bad. I thought "damn, I must have read the wrong hand. Well there's 15 mins of battle down the drain, but I better use the sands of time" so I reset the battle.

No comment there, forgot any part revives at all.

Bebpo said:
I bring in Barbara and have her do her ultimate attack and it does...500 damage to each part? Weird, I heard it was supposed to be amazingly powerful on this fight.

That spell's damage is relative to her MP. It does more damage the more MP she has, and afaik you didn't use her all too much, so her MP was low?

Congrats on beating the game!

cartman414 said:
BTW Red Scarlet, you've got a lot of moe in your rotating avatar. I'm surprised I haven't yet spotted Kaleido Ruby in there.

I don't have any 3 Stooges avatars. Which ones are moe? All my avatars are of characters or parts of games I like, aside from the 5 anime ones which are characters/reactions of characters.

I don't know what Kaleido Ruby is.

Going by google, I guess this fits the bill:
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/avatars/rin19.png

Bebpo

Banned
So my overall thoughts on the game:

The first part of the game was fairly typical of a DQ, nice but familiar. The story premise is exciting as you come to understand how the world is setup.

The next part of the game when it opens up is fantastic. There is this great feeling of awe at the size of the undiscovered worlds. Going around bit by bit and exploring the towns, the gates, the dungeons is very fun. My only real gripe for this middle section of the game is that despite the huge non-linear world appearance, there are actually only a handful of places to go to and the game is very linear in that you will get a boat giving you access to half the world map, yet there's only like 1 or 2 places you can actually explore. I would have preferred if this section was more non-linear and you could do many of the short stories in any order.

The stories are mostly great. I loved the
flying bed, the princess in the mirror, the demon summoning castle ruins, and most of all the scene where the hero meets himself is incredibly sad and one of the most dramatic and emotional moments in any DQ
. So the short stories and excitement of a world to explore make the middle of the game a very enjoyable experience.

The last part of the game where you have almost all the modes of transport and your maps are filled out and you're just finishing up the non-accesible places and the final endgame stuff...was a bit weak. This is because even though the main story premise was full of potential, very little was done with it and the main tale that threads the whole thing together is the weakest of any of the DQs I've played. There's just not much there and when you finally reach the boss it's like "hi, I'm the boss, let's fight" and that's that. It also doesn't help that the cast is rather bland even with the party talk everywhere. They could have been random user-created characters like IX and it wouldn't have changed much.

The game in its attempts to be different than DQIV and DQV adds a lot of little quirky things like an entire stat for style for 1 forced mini-game, a weak stealth section, a job system, underwater exploring. But the majority of this stuff is just tedious and by adding things they bog down what really makes a DQ good: the simplicity of going on an adventure. These additions make it more like a "videogame" with gimmicks and it's ends up making DQVI the weakest of the 4-6 trilogy.

Gameplay-wise I think the game was weak. The dungeons were nice, but the job system was boring and you end up doing the same attacks for the majority of the game over and over. The normal enemies were always too easy, but the encounter rate was very high and they weren't low enough level to just use the item to get rid of easy encounters. So lots of padding battles where you might as well just use autobattle. The boss fights were good. Some were too easy, but a handful of them are intense, strategic fights that were really fun. The job system does not do a single thing to improve the DQ formula and only worsens it. In FF jobs are fun because you are constantly changing them and experimenting with them to build your team. Flexibility is what makes jobs fun. FFXIII almost takes that too far where all you need is a press of a button to change on an instant with no detriment. But the flexibility of FFV or FFX-2 are what make jobs fun and make the games they are in better. In DQVI because almost all the good skills/spells are in 2nd or 3rd generation jobs, you really have to commit the majority of the game to getting the skills you want and that doesn't leave much room for experimenting. When I read the faqs and everyone is simply using the exact same job setup it's boring. Why even have jobs if everyone will just use the "best" set. Having to deal with all the job stuff simply took away from the fun of being on a nice DQ adventure.

Overall while I really loved (and I do mean loved) the middle section of DQVI for its sense of exploration and adventure, everything else was a combination of forgettable story/characters & the weakest gameplay of any DQ I've played. It's a nice long adventure, with a good 15-20 hours of a greatness, but as it ends on a forgettable weaknote, it doesn't leave much of a lasting impression. In the years to come I'll remember DQIV fondly for that time I spent with Torneko or the dancers or the princess, DQV for the wonderful gameplay and journey to save a family, DQVIII for the incredible looking world I explored and DQIX for a job system that punished me for using it. DQVI otoh...I honestly don't think I will remember it much in the future. It's a very ephermal game; fun and enjoyable, but ultimately nothing stands out.

grade: B-

Red Scarlet said:
fubaha only works on breath attacks; magic barrier is what lowers damage from spells. :(

That's what I thought which is why I was doing magic barrier at first, but Ikelly's faq said fubaha is what you use against the first form's fire & ice attacks. It did seem to lower the damage taken or at least stop him from doing fire/ice attacks.

Does bikilt+bakuretsuken do any more damage in this one? On the original I think it makes the first hit do more but that's it.

Only the first hit is doubled. Still better than nothing.

That spell's damage is relative to her MP. It does more damage the more MP she has, and afaik you didn't use her all too much, so her MP was low?

Hmm, well I used her as much as everyone else in the game since she was in the carriage gaining the same xp. Her max MP as a mastered Kenja was 245MP at that point.

Congrats on beating the game!

Thanks! (^_^)

Well ok, hope that prepares me beforehand for the final boss when I do play the game.

The most important advice I'd give for the entire game, that should be in bold on the first post of the US official thread is do not make your hero a magic warrior or paladin since he will never get the hero class in that case, which is where all the best spells are.

ElFly

Segata Sanshiro said:
Madante got nerfed in the DS version. It does about half as much damage as it did in the SFC version.

That's a shame; I always bring barbara into the battle, cast madante, then push her back into the bench.

Maybe now she will be benched forever.

Red Scarlet

Well I've gotten up to rank 7 of the style contest, any suggestions on what I should use to get past it and rank 8? I completely upgraded the hero's stuff plus with the Longadeseo Pass he has 322 style. No one else comes close, but I need a monster (I have a slime) for rank 7, and supposedly 360 for rank 8. I haven't used any of those style herb things or whatever I've gotten so far, but I only have 13 of those.

john tv

Red Scarlet said:
Well I've gotten up to rank 7 of the style contest, any suggestions on what I should use to get past it and rank 8? I completely upgraded the hero's stuff plus with the Longadeseo Pass he has 322 style. No one else comes close, but I need a monster (I have a slime) for rank 7, and supposedly 360 for rank 8. I haven't used any of those style herb things or whatever I've gotten so far, but I only have 13 of those.
I couldn't get rank 8 until after I'd beaten the game, to be honest. I used Milayou (high base style stat) with superstar class and just a bunch of equipment that has really high style (no special sets or anything). Also used a few of those style herbs to push her over the top.

john tv

Red Scarlet said:
What'd she have equipped?
I can't say for 100% sure because I don't remember, but I just went back and equipped her with the best possible stuff I have (style-wise), and it was:

falcon sword
angel leotard
metal king shield
golden tiara
deseo pass

This plus the superstar class basically put her over the top.

john tv

So I got the gospel ring. Pretty much nothing left for me to do but to beat Dark Dream in less than however many turns it takes to get the special ending.

When you master the hagure metal class, you get a 100 HP boost... So now I have a hagure metal with 105 HP. That's practically invincible, lol.

Top Bottom