• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dragon Quest VI Import Thread of DQIX Hasn't Even Been Translated Yet

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Why'd it take 10-15 mins? That seems extraordinarily long for the guy to walk through the cave.

He walks VERY SLOW and the cave is pretty big! Takes 2-3 mins to get him back into the cave and then 2-3 mins for each section of the cave. Takes 10-15 mins total.

hinode

Spirit Punch/Seikentsuki does 2x the damage of a regular physical, but carries an element (let's call it Grapple for the sake of this post). Unlike most spells and skills, Seikentsuki's *accuracy* is impacted by enemy resistance instead of damage. That's why you see it missing sometimes, it has nothing to do with your speed stat. Jigospark is the other move I can remember off the top of my head that has its accuracy impacted by resists instead of damage, but there might be a couple more.

Other abilities that share this element include the Battlemaster's Spinning Sword/Samidareken and Rock Slide/Kansekiotoshi. A lot of enemies resist "Grapple" element especially later on, mainly because you would have no reason to use anything besides Seikentsuki or Samidareken otherwise.

My personal recommendations for attack skills are the Fighter's Spin Kick/Mawashigeri, which hits a group, and Swordline/Bakuretsuken, which hits 4 times at 0.5x power (so basically identical to Rapid Fire from FF5). These are non-elemental moves, so they will never be resisted, and they have no drawbacks (well, aside from ignoring most/all weapon side effects). It's hard to outdamage them without either getting relying on elemental moves/weapons that will be resisted pretty frequently by enemies, or incurring the damage penalty from Berserk/Sutemi.

Kishgal

Banned
hinode said:
My personal recommendations for attack skills are the Fighter's Spin Kick/Mawashigeri, which hits a group, and Swordline/Bakuretsuken, which hits 4 times at 0.5x power (so basically identical to Rapid Fire from FF5). These are non-elemental moves, so they will never be resisted, and they have no drawbacks (well, aside from ignoring most/all weapon side effects). It's hard to outdamage them without either getting relying on elemental moves/weapons that will be resisted pretty frequently by enemies, or incurring the damage penalty from Berserk/Sutemi.
The drawback to ばくれつけん besides the one you mentioned is that only the first hit is modified by きあいため. せいけんづき is, without a doubt, the best move to use on enemies it hits. The bosses I know it works on are:
Mudo's first form, Garcia, trial boss #2, Miralgo, Glacos, the guards at the prison place, Akbar, Deathtamoor's third form, and Dahm Dream
I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I specifically remember using it on successfully.

Otherwise, I do use すてみ or ばくれつけん the most, or falcon slash in some cases. Later in the game, I just equip the demon hammer on Hassan and use きあいため to get automatic critical hits with regular attacks.

hinode

My personal opinion is that Bikilt is really only useful when using Seikentsuki or Sutemi in DQ6, and I'm personally not fond of Sutemi against bosses - the increased damage intake can easily get you killed against any dangerous boss. That really leaves just the list of bosses that don't resist Grapple that you gave. Well, you can try using it with one of the elemental slashes for 2.5x overall damage, but those are all elements and thus pretty frequently resisted. Bikilt's damage boost to Falcon Slash is comparatively minor since it only increases the first hit, so it's not really not worth the bother IMO, especially against bosses who can dispel.

Also... are you sure that they didn't fix that bug with the demon hammer in this version? Man.

Kishgal

Banned
hinode said:
My personal opinion is that Bikilt is really only useful when using Seikentsuki or Sutemi in DQ6, and I'm personally not fond of Sutemi against bosses - the increased damage intake can easily get you killed against any dangerous boss. That really leaves just the list of bosses that don't resist Grapple that you gave. Well, you can try using it with one of the elemental slashes for 2.5x overall damage, but those are all elements and thus pretty frequently resisted. Bikilt's damage boost to Falcon Slash is comparatively minor since it only increases the first hit, so it's not really not worth the bother IMO, especially against bosses who can dispel.

Also... are you sure that they didn't fix that bug with the demon hammer in this version? Man.
Yes, I'm sure. I used it.

As for すてみ, I actually disagree. The increased damage taken after using it has never really been unmanageable for me. Hassan has a lot of HP, and you should be buffing defense in most fights as it is, anyway.

Bebpo

Banned
Kishgal said:
As for すてみ, I actually disagree. The increased damage taken after using it has never really been unmanageable for me. Hassan has a lot of HP, and you should be buffing defense in most fights as it is, anyway.

Yeah, I've had hassan use sutemi for every turn in all the boss fights through now. Great damage to finish the bosses off quickly. He has enough HP that he won't get 1hit KO'd. Just gotta heal him quick when he does take a big hit.

Red Scarlet said:
That's a lot more '!' things. Are you trying to get down to the southern little room for the one that he catches you?

You're trying to get to the northwest room.

Red Scarlet

Yeah, I'm going by the first '!' shown in the picture in the 3rd 'area' from the picture. Looks like there's a little cul-de-sac you sneak into for that '!'. ?

Bebpo

Banned
After 2 hours and about 8 tries I finally got past that part. But now
how do you get back ABOVE the water after using the mermaid harp in the ocean? I was exploring underwater and ran out of MP for my healer, so I tried using the harp again while underwater and it said it couldn't reach the mermaids ears. And my warp spell doesn't work underwater so I couldn't do anything other than just die in a battle and lose 3k gold and end up above surface at the church.

Do you have to go all the way over to where the mermaids were everytime you want to go back above the water?

Bebpo said:
After 2 hours and about 8 tries I finally got past that part. But now
how do you get back ABOVE the water after using the mermaid harp in the ocean? I was exploring underwater and ran out of MP for my healer, so I tried using the harp again while underwater and it said it couldn't reach the mermaids ears. And my warp spell doesn't work underwater so I couldn't do anything other than just die in a battle and lose 3k gold and end up above surface at the church.

Do you have to go all the way over to where the mermaids were everytime you want to go back above the water?
Press A.

Bebpo

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

Damnit. :( I thought I'd tried hitting all the buttons, but I guess I didn't hit A. Either that or when I did hit A there was something above me that prevented it :X

Red Scarlet said:
You said you were done for the day and couldn't shoot zombies with me because you were going to hang out with Jackfrost. :(

I gave it another shot while waiting to leeeeave. Heading out in 20 mins!

Link1110

I'm in that cave where Terry went into. That fight on the way in was a pain until I found the trick with Mireyu and Chamoro healing themselves on the first turn and take out the tiger guy FAST. Pretty good puzzle boss there. :)

Bebpo

Banned
Does anyone have a link to a world map of the
underwater
. I love how much there is to explore, but you move kind of slow and the encounter rate is very high. I haven't really made any progress lately because I've just been
slowly sailing around underwater looking for things
. Gamefaqs doesn't have one :|

john tv

Bebpo said:
Does anyone have a link to a world map of the
underwater
. I love how much there is to explore, but you move kind of slow and the encounter rate is very high. I haven't really made any progress lately because I've just been
slowly sailing around underwater looking for things
. Gamefaqs doesn't have one :|
http://lod.zero-yen.com/dq6/map/dq6_map_3.html

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks both of you :) Going to hit the spots down there I haven't been to before returning above and getting back to story questing.

Red Scarlet

thunder stealin'.

I thought I'd be awesome and try for those Killer Machine things guarding those chests. I failed pretty horribly at doing anything. I don't think skult helps against their Metal Slash and other attacks?

I know I'm supposed to go later but I want to try nowwwwwwwww.

Kishgal

Banned
Those are pretty tough. I didn't even end up bothering with them this last time, since by the time I remembered to go back and kill them, the stuff they're guarding wasn't very useful to me anymore.
Gringham whip kind of stinks in DQ6 for me, considering who can equip it and what abilities I have them learn.

john tv

Red Scarlet said:
thunder stealin'.

I thought I'd be awesome and try for those Killer Machine things guarding those chests. I failed pretty horribly at doing anything. I don't think skult helps against their Metal Slash and other attacks?

I know I'm supposed to go later but I want to try nowwwwwwwww.
Haha, I never even saw your previous messages until just now. Sorry about that! Must've not reloaded the page before posting.

ElFly

I remember in my last playthrough that one of the treasures was less guarded than the other. (Meaning that it had less powerful robots in front of it). Mostly cause I got one of the chests, and only way later came back for the other.

Could be wrong.

john tv

Kishgal said:
Those are pretty tough. I didn't even end up bothering with them this last time, since by the time I remembered to go back and kill them, the stuff they're guarding wasn't very useful to me anymore.
Gringham whip kind of stinks in DQ6 for me, considering who can equip it and what abilities I have them learn.
Yeah, they're the only thing I have left underwater to go back to. Otherwise, I still need to win the last two ranks of the slime arena and the final level of the style contest. I'm glad I bothered with the style contest this time. I have to say, having a sage's stone on one character and hustle dance on another makes you pretty damn tough!

I'm going around looking for slimes to recruit now while I beef up a bit to take on Dhuran. I found three so far -- the slime knight, the marine slime, and the...whatever it's called, the red version of the heal slime.

Red Scarlet

The left one had a Killer Machine and a Guardian, the right one had 2 Killer Machines. At least when I tried them both just now. I have 2 Superstars and 2 casters of Skult, but my plan of guard/skult/skult/hustle dance then guard/skult/hustle dance/hustle dance wouldn't quite work out (the middle 2 chars would die on round 2). Then again my current jobs don't give a lot of HP for the last 3 chars (lv5? Sage, two lv7 Superstars).

Moneywise I can buy some of the stuff NE of Grandma's, but not real sure what I should grab. I can purchase two Water Cloth things for Mireyu and Barbara, then give that Lifecod 7000 gold armor to the hero, or since the Water Cloth is only +10 defense over whatever Mireyu has (not counting the magic/breath def) I could get a Flame Boomer (going with the Blade Boomer still) but I'm not sure going from 80 to 120 attack is all the worth it at this point. But the main guy doesn't really have any good consistent abilities (Tsunami doesn't work that often, then he just has spells). So I dunno. I am 1 medal off from the Miracle Sword (I have 40 listed, but I missed an earlier missable one I guess, so I need to find #41).

Not much of my equipment can get more stylish, maybe I need better stuff..so far all I've had that can upgrade is the Magic Shield Barbara has. I think I had Mireyu do the style crap last time instead of Barbara though. I do have all the style herb things or whatever still in inventory. I don't even remember what any of the prizes are for that.

john tv

Red Scarlet said:
The left one had a Killer Machine and a Guardian, the right one had 2 Killer Machines. At least when I tried them both just now. I have 2 Superstars and 2 casters of Skult, but my plan of guard/skult/skult/hustle dance then guard/skult/hustle dance/hustle dance wouldn't quite work out (the middle 2 chars would die on round 2). Then again my current jobs don't give a lot of HP for the last 3 chars (lv5? Sage, two lv7 Superstars).

Moneywise I can buy some of the stuff NE of Grandma's, but not real sure what I should grab. I can purchase two Water Cloth things for Mireyu and Barbara, then give that Lifecod 7000 gold armor to the hero, or since the Water Cloth is only +10 defense over whatever Mireyu has (not counting the magic/breath def) I could get a Flame Boomer (going with the Blade Boomer still) but I'm not sure going from 80 to 120 attack is all the worth it at this point. But the main guy doesn't really have any good consistent abilities (Tsunami doesn't work that often, then he just has spells). So I dunno. I am 1 medal off from the Miracle Sword (I have 40 listed, but I missed an earlier missable one I guess, so I need to find #41).

Not much of my equipment can get more stylish, maybe I need better stuff..so far all I've had that can upgrade is the Magic Shield Barbara has. I think I had Mireyu do the style crap last time instead of Barbara though. I do have all the style herb things or whatever still in inventory. I don't even remember what any of the prizes are for that.
It's mostly more style-related stuff, but the sage's stone you get for winning the monsters-only contest is definitely worth it (round 7, I think).

Flame boomerangs from that shop did me well for a while. Style-wise you get a 50 point bonus if you have a full set of platinum gear, but the downside is one of the platinum items can only be found IN the contest (sigh). When you get all of the legendary items, those are definitely good -- especially if you upgrade them at the fashion blacksmith dude's place. I had a bunch of money leftover so I upgraded everything and I had my guy up to 325 style (!), which sadly still wasn't enough to win the last round (sigh again). But it got me everything but. EDIT: Oh, I also had the Longadeseo pendant equipped -- that's got a lot of style points.

Did you get the meteorite armband? Definitely good to have that or at least the agility ring on your healer so you can always get a spot of healing in at the start of every fight.

Red Scarlet

I *just* got the Mermaid Harp, so I don't have any of that stuff mentioned. I do have two Hustle Dancers though, so I don't even know if I need a Sage Stone.

ElFly

Oh yeah.

Killer Machine and Guard is much more doable than 2xKM.

The beauty contest is easy to win; the slime arena I never beat until the post game.

Bebpo

Banned
Can I still win the beauty contest stuff? I forgot about it and have been selling all my equipment the entire game to get $$$. I only have what I have on my characters at this point (gathering the legendary equipment).

ElFly

For the last one you definitely need a set of armor on Superstar Mireyu. I don't think you can do it with the hero + legendary armor.

I think there's a set that can be bought.

From the FAQ

Silver Tiera + Dress of Radiance + Glass Shoes..........................+40
Sun Folding Fan + Dancers Clothes.......................................+40
Sword of Miracles + Mystical Armor......................................+40
Bunny Suit + Usamini Band + Silver Tray + Fishnet Stockings.............+50
Princess Robe + Golden Tiera............................................+50
Platinum Sword + Platinum Shield + Platinum Armor + Platinum Mask.......+50

john tv

Anyone still playing? I'm at the final dungeon now, just doing some grinding to get everyone into the proper jobs before I take on the last boss. Wanna be well-prepared for the bonus dungeon too. :) Also wanting to get the gospel ring (just to say I did it ;p) and win the final level of the slime arena and the style contest.

Bebpo

Banned
john tv said:
Anyone still playing? I'm at the final dungeon now, just doing some grinding to get everyone into the proper jobs before I take on the last boss. Wanna be well-prepared for the bonus dungeon too. :) Also wanting to get the gospel ring (just to say I did it ;p) and win the final level of the slime arena and the style contest.

I was taking a few days break as I had some irl stuff to take care of, but I should get back to this over the weekend. Going to try to win a few rounds of beauty contest for some nice goods and then finishing gathering the legendary equipment.

What jobs did you end up using in the end as your mains?

john tv

Bebpo said:
I was taking a few days break as I had some irl stuff to take care of, but I should get back to this over the weekend. Going to try to win a few rounds of beauty contest for some nice goods and then finishing gathering the legendary equipment.

What jobs did you end up using in the end as your mains?
Well, I never stop switching jobs, since it seems like a waste not to be building something at all times, so it's hard to say. I usually stick with the same four people through most of the game, just cause it's easier to make use of the best equipment that way (FYI, I tend to go with Hero, Hassan, Amos, Milayou). I at least make sure Hero's mastered Hero, Hassan's mastered Battlemaster, Amos's mastered Magic Warrior, and Milayou's mastered Superstar. From there, I just go crazy. (I also make sure I have a couple of sages in the wagon for when I need to heal.)

I've mastered every job so far except for Ranger, Paladin, Hero, Dragon, Hagure Metal. Working on all of them at the moment except for the last, which you usually can't work on until you've beaten the game once.

Red Scarlet

Where's the Bunny Suit at? I'm on rank C at the style contest, which I'm pretty sure I can get with my equipment anyway, but I have the other 3 ingredients for that set except the Bunny Suit.

Bebpo

Banned
lol, I just tried the style contest and I couldn't win rank 2 with my current equipment >_< Only have 187 style. Best (guy) items I have right now for style purposes are Platinum Sword, Silver Mail, Power Shield, Steel Helmet, and Deseo Pass. For female it's Platinum Sword, Silver Tray, Bunny ears, Glass shoes, and Dancing Clothes which gets me to 207.

Need to play further in the game and get better equip!

Red Scarlet

Bebpo said:
lol, I just tried the style contest and I couldn't win rank 2 with my current equipment >_< Only have 187 style. Best (guy) items I have right now for style purposes are Platinum Sword, Silver Mail, Power Shield, Steel Helmet, and Deseo Pass. For female it's Platinum Sword, Silver Tray, Bunny ears, Glass shoes, and Dancing Clothes which gets me to 207.

Need to play further in the game and get better equip!

I wrote down what I had, remember that different jobs have different base style.

210 Style Hero: Lv29, Dancer, Platinum Sword+Mail+Shield + Wind Hat + Slime Pierce

You can get all those items for free IIRC, some are just in Final Key locked doors.

I might be stuck. I won the Magic Carpet, but when I talk to the person I think I'm supposed to (karube), she just mentions that Bubo person and does not recharge the Magic Carpet's energy. I've tried with the carpet in my leader's inventory, in the bag, in Barbara's inventory, and tried using the carpet outside/in front of her. It won't recharge.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm, yeah I should go find those locked doors and get their treasures. I don't have any platinum equipment besides the plat sword.

Is the platinum set better than the hero w/legendary equipment? Because I don't mind gathering the rest of the equipment up first and then doing the contest. Just want to get to rank 7 before the final boss.

Red Scarlet said:
I wrote down what I had, remember that different jobs have different base style.

210 Style Hero: Lv29, Dancer, Platinum Sword+Mail+Shield + Wind Hat + Slime Pierce

You can get all those items for free IIRC, some are just in Final Key locked doors.

I might be stuck. I won the Magic Carpet, but when I talk to the person I think I'm supposed to (karube), she just mentions that Bubo person and does not recharge the Magic Carpet's energy. I've tried with the carpet in my leader's inventory, in the bag, in Barbara's inventory, and tried using the carpet outside/in front of her. It won't recharge.
The woman doesn't recharge the carpet, the old guy in the bed does.

Bebpo: the Platinum set outweighs the Legendary set unless you style upgrade the legendary set.

I'm at the last castle now too, doing what john's doing and just finishing up some jobs and leveling up a little bit. I have everything mastered except Hero (level 5), Dragon (level 5), Paladin (level 5), Mage Knight (Level 7), and Hagure Metal. Working on those others atm.

Red Scarlet

I don't have any of the hero stuff so I don't know. I kept track of the locked doors I came across. I'm still stuck at the carpet though.

Ah-ha! I didn't even see him. He and the old lady have the same name, so that threw me. Thanks.

john tv

A full platinum set (including the helmet) gets you a +50 bonus from the judges. A full set of legendary stuff (the hero's equipment) only gets you +15. The Deseo pendant is one of the best accessories in the game for style -- highly recommended you equip that too once you have it.

Scarlet -- you can get the Bunny Suit in Longadeseo. It's 3300G at one of the shops.

BTW, Superstar job is the best job to have for that contest -- it ups your style by 15%.

Bebpo

Banned
Isn't one of the platinum pieces a prize from the style contest though? I wonder what I should equip to get that far and obtain it.

When I put the deseo pendant on mirelu it doesn't up her style at all. what givesssss

If I can get a set of equip that gets me to rank 5 or 6 to get that last platinum piece, can mirelu in superstar with full plat set be enough to beat rank 7? I don't care about winning rank 8, but would be nice to have that stone for the final boss.

Red Scarlet

I think it's a middle rank for the Platinum Helmet or whatever it is. I think I need 270 for Rank 4, and the prize is just Glass Shoes, which I already have. Do you have any of those 'beauty plant' things? I still have all the ones I found, not sure how many points they give.

I imagine one of those 'crystal DQ' sites or whatever know exactly what stuff you should equip to beat the various ranks as early as possible.

Bebpo said:
Isn't one of the platinum pieces a prize from the style contest though? I wonder what I should equip to get that far and obtain it.

When I put the deseo pendant on mirelu it doesn't up her style at all. what givesssss

If I can get a set of equip that gets me to rank 5 or 6 to get that last platinum piece, can mirelu in superstar with full plat set be enough to beat rank 7? I don't care about winning rank 8, but would be nice to have that stone for the final boss.
Mireyu can't wear the platinum set. To pass that I had the hero wearing the full platinum gear with a londezeo pass, dancer job (gives +10%), and i had him quaff every beauty plant I had.

Red Scarlet

I have two Hustle Dancers, I don't think I ever got a Sage Stone in 6.

When's a good time to do the monster arena? I somehow remembered where Slimes were, and recruited one. I beat rank 1 of that, but with the equipment it had (Calbero Whip and Slime Mail mainly), I don't really see the little guy getting past the 2nd or 3rd rank yet.

Kishgal

Banned
I used Pierre with soldier/martial artist/battlemaster to get through most of the monster fights pretty easily. I didn't go all the way through them though.

Top Bottom