• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dragon Quest VI Import Thread of DQIX Hasn't Even Been Translated Yet

Kishgal said:
Yeah, I definitely don't disagree that 6 and 7 put way more emphasis on the little stories. I said that myself earlier in the thread. It's what I love about them.
Agreed. I love how towns aren't just passage ways to your goal. It makes visiting one so exciting because you're likely to find very captivating scenarios. It's just a treat :)

Red Scarlet

Well, my Saturn battery died, so I had someone call out between two games on a coin, so I'm gonna play the SFC one again, hopefully the battery won't crap out again at the end of the game like during my marathon.

Link1110

Man God said:
As do I, II, III.

Save a princess stop the bad guy.

Stop the bad guy.

Stop the bad guy.
Well, DQ3 has you fighting a bad guy who's only really a bad guy by hearsay (in the game itself, anyway.) I'll repost here what I posted on Woodus last summer about it. Contains huge DQ3 spoilers.

Dragon Warrior III is one of the best RPGs of the NES era. The gameplay was simple, yet unrivaled in its enjoyment factor, it was a long and epic quest, and the story was great, Great, except for one huge hole so big you could fall into Alefgard through it. Why exactly was Baramos evil?
The player is never given any concrete information on what makes Baramos evil. The King of Aliahan says that if left unchecked, Baramos will destroy the world. Do we get to hear about his evil plans? No. As far as we know, the king bought into some crazy rumor and is trying to have Baramos assassinated.
When DWIII opens, Erdrick turns 16 years old. His father, Ortega left on his journey to kill Baramos when Erdrick was just a baby. So, Baramos is given at least 16 years to launch some sort of evil plan, ANY evil plan at all, and he just does nothing.
When Erdrick finally defeats Baramos, does it solve the world's problems? No. Turns out that Zoma is the real bad guy, and defeating Baramos accomplished absolutely nothing. Sure, when confronted, Baramos promises to feast on the hero's innards. Sure he did, Erdrick broke into his house (purposely cut off from the world between huge impassable mountains) and tried to kill him. If someone breaks into my house and tries to kill me, sure I'm going to fight back. As for feasting on their innards, I say why not? It's a free dinner after all.
So what WAS the deal with Baramos? My theory is this. Zoma conquered Alefgard, but needed time to open a bigger gate to the overworld or something, and wanted to stay unknown, so he decided that he needed a patsy. He found this recluse of a monster who just wanted to be left alone and had one of his minions start a rumor that Baramos was the one trying to destroy the world.
But wait. Baramos had his minion make Ortega fall into that volcano? That's evil, right. Wrong. Baramos knew who the real bad guy was. He had Ortega sent to Alefgard, where he could discover and expose Zoma's evil plot. And let's not forget about how Ortega was trying to kill Baramos. Everything Baramos does in this game that could be considered evil involves attacking an assassin sent to kill him.
And now for an aside. Ortega had a 16 year head start on his son, and his son STILL met him in Zoma's castle? Erdrick completed this quest a whole SIXTEEN YEARS faster than his father. I didn't realize that soloing this game takes a full sixteen years of level grinding (more, actually. Remember that Ortega didn't exactly win that fight.)
I firmly believe that Baramos is a tragic enemy who is the victim of propaganda. Not only did Zoma claim the life of Ortega, but the reputation of Baramos, and that makes him even more evil than anyone originally thought.

Red Scarlet

Link1110 said:
Well, DQ3 has you fighting a bad guy who's only really a bad guy by hearsay (in the game itself, anyway.) I'll repost here what I posted on Woodus last summer about it. Contains huge DQ3 spoilers.

Don't the people in Tedon/Tedanki claim that Baramos killed them?

john tv said:
I am! Glory of Heracles and White Knight Chronicles are our latest. I think Nier and Monster Hunter Tri are out next. And we've got some rad other stuff in the works for later this year and next. :)

Sweet. I've been friends with one of the guys who used to work at Atlus and now works at Konami. Glad to see you've gotten into this side of the biz. Have you worked on any of the voiceover recordings? I will say that that's been one of my big interests.

Back on the main topic here, I just read that DQ6 is just 1 Gb, which isn't as much as they could have used. But then I guess they weren't interested in significantly upping the cart size from the 4 and 5 remakes.

Kishgal

Banned
Yeah, John's group 8-4 has been responsible for some really great work. Especially Baten Kaitos Origins, which I'm enjoying right now. It's such a high quality job all around. Tales of Vesperia really was, too.

john tv

Thanks, Kish!

cart -- yeah, we do voices on occasion. The last one we did was Nier (very NSFW sample: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/60143.html). We did BKO, too!

Getting back on topic, I had my first three surechigai exchanges tonight! Seven more and I can unlock the basement! The dreams were as follows:

- One person wants to open their own shop to sell their treasured shochu
- One person wants to "get rich quick" (lol)
- One person wants to go to the premier tour, whatever that means (he loves soccer, so maybe it's soccer-related)

So silly but so addictive. Haha.

Hmm, well, I'm
gathering up legendary equipment, so I must be in the back end of the game.
As a first time player, I'm not exactly sure how I would rank this so far. Let you guys know when I finish in the next week or so.

I got my first Surechigai as well. Someone who wanted to be a dancer I guess? I think I'll go to Akiba this weekend and wrap this whole surechigai business up.

Ledsen

john tv said:
Thanks, Kish!

cart -- yeah, we do voices on occasion. The last one we did was Nier (very NSFW sample: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/60143.html). We did BKO, too!

Getting back on topic, I had my first three surechigai exchanges tonight! Seven more and I can unlock the basement! The dreams were as follows:

- One person wants to open their own shop to sell their treasured shochu
- One person wants to "get rich quick" (lol)
- One person wants to go to the premier tour, whatever that means (he loves soccer, so maybe it's soccer-related)

So silly but so addictive. Haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League

Red Scarlet

I can get jobs now, so I figured I'd bump with a question about something someone mentioned earlier, some critical hit trick? How's that done?

And on the DS version did they fix the 'equip defense' trick/bug from DQ6/3 on SFC? I discovered it on 3 (I doubt I was the first) and it looks like it works on 6, but I imagine they fixed that on the DS one. What that trick/bug is, whenever you equip something in a battle, your defense stat gets defaulted, so it can be handy on badguys that reduce your defense if you never upped yours, but annoying if you buffed someone up then change what they are attacking with in a battle.

In reference to the thread title what ever happened with Wada and his "simultaneous releases"? Does he just love to talk but has nothing to say?

Kishgal

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I can get jobs now, so I figured I'd bump with a question about something someone mentioned earlier, some critical hit trick? How's that done?

And on the DS version did they fix the 'equip defense' trick/bug from DQ6/3 on SFC? I discovered it on 3 (I doubt I was the first) and it looks like it works on 6, but I imagine they fixed that on the DS one. What that trick/bug is, whenever you equip something in a battle, your defense stat gets defaulted, so it can be handy on badguys that reduce your defense if you never upped yours, but annoying if you buffed someone up then change what they are attacking with in a battle.
The critical hit trick is when you equip the demon hammer and use kiaitame, you're guaranteed to crit.

As for that bug, yes, it was fixed.

Ledsen

john tv said:
Yah I've heard of the Premier League, but is Premier Tour related? Sounds like golf to me. Or a honeymoon package plan or something. :p

I just assumed he actually meant Premier League, since I'm actually not that into sports and don't know anything else called "Premier" something :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Climbing that mountain outside Clairbell was EPIC. Was tough! I actually had to spend all that money I'd been banking the whole game and get my team up to snuff with equipment. Really felt like climbing a mountain. So long and tough and fights every 3 seconds, but when you get to the top it's a great feeling.

beeddddddddddddd

I explored the whole dream world as much as I could. Seems like there was only 1 optional thing to do (well cave on the east side; enemies seemed a bit tough for my level so left to do it later in the game). If I go down the stairs on the east side of the world the town (gedeon or something?) doesn't let me in. Is this the part that depends on your kakkoyosa factor?

Ended up just going to Fon castle and gonna try the tower later tonight. Everyone is about halfway through their 2nd job except for the main who is getting close to finishing his 2nd job. I've been using Lead (almost up to Magic Warrior), Hassan (still a wayss to go for Battlemaster), Asmos (still a waays to go for Paladin), Chamoro (getting close to Kenja) exclusively since about when the game opened up and I got Asmos. Kind of a sexist party, but I'm having Mirelu learn superstar and she's kinda useless until then and barbara learn kenja and she's good but Chamoro has more HP and is better. Looking forward to getting mahou senshi soon for my lead because as a mahou tsukai right now his HP sucks and he can die real easy.

Why is the medal king still unknown to meeeeeee :( I have like 30 medals already wtf! I
freed his soul from the dream world back when at the floating island arc
but I haven't found him in the real world :(

I'm kind of hesitant to play this game quickly because I don't want it to end since it feels like it's the last time I will ever play a great DQ like this (IV/V/VI) again. Maybe VII is like those too? I'm thinking of playing it next on psp since I like playing DQ while relaxing on my bed and losing myself in exploring cool worlds. I don't really like Level 5 DQ, so I'm figuring after I play DQVII and maybe the classics I-III, I'll be all out of the DQ I like. Kinda sad ;_; Wish Level 5 DQs were more like DQIV-VI.

Bebpo said:
Climbing that mountain outside Clairbell was EPIC. Was tough! I actually had to spend all that money I'd been banking the whole game and get my team up to snuff with equipment. Really felt like climbing a mountain. So long and tough and fights every 3 seconds, but when you get to the top it's a great feeling.

beeddddddddddddd

I explored the whole dream world as much as I could. Seems like there was only 1 optional thing to do (well cave on the east side; enemies seemed a bit tough for my level so left to do it later in the game). If I go down the stairs on the east side of the world the town (gedeon or something?) doesn't let me in. Is this the part that depends on your kakkoyosa factor?

Ended up just going to Fon castle and gonna try the tower later tonight. Everyone is about halfway through their 2nd job except for the main who is getting close to finishing his 2nd job. I've been using Lead (almost up to Magic Warrior), Hassan (still a wayss to go for Battlemaster), Asmos (still a waays to go for Paladin), Chamoro (getting close to Kenja) exclusively since about when the game opened up and I got Asmos. Kind of a sexist party, but I'm having Mirelu learn superstar and she's kinda useless until then and barbara learn kenja and she's good but Chamoro has more HP and is better. Looking forward to getting mahou senshi soon for my lead because as a mahou tsukai right now his HP sucks and he can die real easy.

Why is the medal king still unknown to meeeeeee :( I have like 30 medals already wtf! I
freed his soul from the dream world back when at the floating island arc
but I haven't found him in the real world :(

I'm kind of hesitant to play this game quickly because I don't want it to end since it feels like it's the last time I will ever play a great DQ like this (IV/V/VI) again. Maybe VII is like those too? I'm thinking of playing it next on psp since I like playing DQ while relaxing on my bed and losing myself in exploring cool worlds. I don't really like Level 5 DQ, so I'm figuring after I play DQVII and maybe the classics I-III, I'll be all out of the DQ I like. Kinda sad ;_; Wish Level 5 DQs were more like DQIV-VI.
DQVII is very much the evolution of DQVI, so if you're having a good time here, you should definitely dive into DQVII next.

As for the Medal King...
you're looking in the wrong world.

Bebpo

Banned
Is his castle supposed to be accessible to me at this point? There's still a bunch of areas I can't get to in the top world and the bottom world is only about 40% filled in.

Kishgal

Banned
Bebpo said:
Is his castle supposed to be accessible to me at this point? There's still a bunch of areas I can't get to in the top world and the bottom world is only about 40% filled in.
It's now at
the very first hole you fell down at the beginning of the game, where you fell down to Torukka after saving the guy from Marshe who was to make the crown for the festival

Red Scarlet

Bebpo said:
Kind of a sexist party

Yes.

Bebpo said:
but I'm having Mirelu learn superstar and she's kinda useless until then and barbara learn kenja and she's good but Chamoro has more HP and is better.

ppfft.

As for the Medal King's Castle, it was at the first hole you fell through in the game. Warp to シエーナ then go west/northwest.

Kishgal

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
As for the Medal King's Castle, it was at the first hole you fell through in the game. Warp to シエーナ then go west/northwest.
They actually changed the name of that village to マルシェ for some reason.

Bebpo

Banned
Any tips for this magic guy on top of the tower? I'm fine until he starts spamming Begiragon every turn midway through the fight. I can't heal fast enough and after a few rounds people are dead. I even tried turning all 4 chars into senshi so they'd have higher HP & higher DEF but begiragon still did 60-70 damage to all 4 characters every turn and I just can't heal that. I'm around lvl.24-28 party.

Red Scarlet

Well there's different armor that may help, like Magic Shields and stuff, maybe some armor. How far along is your Sage? They learn a "magic barrier" spell. Superstars get a similar ability too.

Kishgal

Banned
Bebpo said:
Any tips for this magic guy on top of the tower? I'm fine until he starts spamming Begiragon every turn midway through the fight. I can't heal fast enough and after a few rounds people are dead. I even tried turning all 4 chars into senshi so they'd have higher HP & higher DEF but begiragon still did 60-70 damage to all 4 characters every turn and I just can't heal that. I'm around lvl.24-28 party.
You can confuse his minions (メダパニ), which really helps. ニフラム also works on them sometimes.

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Well there's different armor that may help, like Magic Shields and stuff, maybe some armor. How far along is your Sage? They learn a "magic barrier" spell. Superstars get a similar ability too.

I don't have a sage yet.

I don't have ANY of the 2nd rank jobs yet :p Will be another 2-3 hours before I do probably. :p

Kishgal said:
You can confuse his minions (メダパニ), which really helps. ニフラム also works on them sometimes.

Thanks. That should help since I spend most of my turns healing and not attacking. Now they can attack for me!

Bebpo

Banned
confuse worked really well, thanks again. It seems like he wouldn't do begiragon unless there were two genies out and with the first one confused it kept killing itself before he'd summon another one. At worst he'd summon another one, cast begiragon the next round, but then one of the genies would die and he wouldn't cast it again for a bit.

One thing that's kind of wierd is buffing didn't seem to help against it. I was casting sukurto over and over and the genies were doing like no damage (5-10 damage per hit) but begiragon would still do about 60-70 damage and mirami about 50. Does DEF buffing only work against physical attacks?

Red Scarlet

sukuruto only helps against physical attacks, yes. You need fubaha/magic barrier to reduce breath/magic attacks or armor that reduces damage from them.

john tv

Bebpo said:
confuse worked really well, thanks again. It seems like he wouldn't do begiragon unless there were two genies out and with the first one confused it kept killing itself before he'd summon another one. At worst he'd summon another one, cast begiragon the next round, but then one of the genies would die and he wouldn't cast it again for a bit.

One thing that's kind of wierd is buffing didn't seem to help against it. I was casting sukurto over and over and the genies were doing like no damage (5-10 damage per hit) but begiragon would still do about 60-70 damage and mirami about 50. Does DEF buffing only work against physical attacks?
Is this the first DQ you've played? :)

Hassan's せいけんづき works well on him too. If you have anyone with バイキルト yet, use that + せいけんづき to whoop his ass.

Red Scarlet

What's the deal with that move? It misses a lot and sometimes does a ton more damage..is it supposed to be used on undead enemies mainly?

Kishgal

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
What's the deal with that move? It misses a lot and sometimes does a ton more damage..is it supposed to be used on undead enemies mainly?
It's kind of random who it works on. I guess it's just a really slow move, and only works on slower enemies. When you come across a boss that it works on, it's usually the best strategy (バイキルト+きあいため+せいけんづき omg), but there are several it just plain misses 100% of the time on.

Bebpo

Banned
john tv said:
Is this the first DQ you've played? :)

Hassan's せいけんづき works well on him too. If you have anyone with バイキルト yet, use that + せいけんづき to whoop his ass.

I play a lot of rpgs! I can't keep track of what each spell does in every game :p I'm pretty sure the description for that spell is just "DEF BUFF" or something.

Didn't have biokilt yet. Seikentsuki seems to be an awful move like scarlet is saying. It misses or does no damage about 3/4th the time. I basically just use sutemi for my main power attack.

john tv

せいけんづき is awesome when it hits. It works way more often than it doesn't, at least in my experience anyway.

Red Scarlet

That kind of info (what monsters it works on or what agility stat Hassan needs for it to hit enemy X or Y) should be in a faq, but the guides at gamefaqs are so barebones (at least Ian Kelley's is).

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
That kind of info (what monsters it works on or what agility stat Hassan needs for it to hit enemy X or Y) should be in a faq, but the guides at gamefaqs are so barebones (at least Ian Kelley's is).

The DQVI faq is by Ian Kelley of SMT3 faq fame?

mind blown

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

Dragon Quest VI superbly concludes the trilogy of remakes on the Nintendo DS, with an episode quite as captivating as the precedents. Built on the same framework as its predecessors, this episode is nevertheless characterized by its evanescent dream-like atmosphere, where illusion and reality merge. It can also count on an old but very polished school game system, the return of classes coming this time to reward the player to fight, more and always. Resolutely austere but always well maded (graphics, musics, balanced game system), Dragon Quest VI will proudly join your game shelf, even if the absence of true innovations and the incoherent rhythm of the story makes it a little less memorable than the Hand of the Heavenly Bride.

+ perfect realization
+ hypnotic combats
+ the class system
+ a good lifespan
+ musics which remain in memory

- austere
- level up or die
- some useless classes

8/10

Red Scarlet

Shawn6661 said:
more décousu of the intrigue undoubtedly makes it impossible to circumvent than the Been engaged celestial one.

I agree.

Anyone know where the medal is on the dumb wall place? I hate dungeons like that. I've already 'beaten' the dungeon but I'm just looking for the medal that's supposed to be there.

Bebpo

Banned
This stealth section with rob is terrible. The fact that everytime he sees you, you have to go all the way back and watch him walk incredibly slow all over again is almost game breakingly bad. First time I've ever been annoyed in a DQ game. Usually they only have good game design decisions! :(

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Metal Gear Bebpo.

In MGS when you get seen you don't have to go all the way back to the start again!
Plus you don't have to FOLLOW someone who goes sloooo-oh, yeah Act 3 :(

Bebpo

Banned
I give up. I'm never going to finish this game because of rob. I can get to the last screen of the cave, but he sees me everytime and then it's 10-15 mins of doing it all over again. worst part of any dq game ever.

Kishgal

Banned
I thought the way they handled the thing with Rob in the remake was pretty bad. It was much easier to do in the SFC version, because you could see him better.

Bebpo

Banned
yeah, it's really really hard to see him and you move forward a step to get him into frame to see him and he SEES YOU. If you could only rotate the screen it's be 10000x easier, but you can't and it's not.

Top Bottom