• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dragon Quest VI Import Thread of DQIX Hasn't Even Been Translated Yet

Kishgal

Banned
I like how they added an NPC at the Dharma shrine whose only purpose is to tell you that you can't recruit monsters with the beastmaster anymore, but that you can recruit slimes around the world.

There's also an NPC which gives you a description of the classes like in DQ9. That wasn't in the original... was it? I don't remember it at all. They aren't all that useful, but nice anyway. One thing I do like about it is that it shows you every ability the class gets on the top screen. (Photo)

Example:

Warrior
Traits: Good at fighting with weapons. Learns powerful sword skills.
Class change requirements: none.
Learning speed: quick.

For class change requirements, it just tells you which classes you need to level to unlock it. Nice enough. It doesn't give specifics for the hero class, though.

Now to decide who wants to be what. Definitely need someone to aim for superstar, though, as usual!

I went with a boring choice of classes. Fighter for the hero, Soldier for Hassan, Priest for Mireyu, Mage for Chamoro, and Thief for Barbara. Lots of overlap there with pre-existing abilities, but I want them to master the jobs for advanced job purposes.

I can't believe I got sassed by grass. :/

john tv

I started with monster master (me), martial artist (hassan), priest (chamoro), mage (barbara), warrior (amos), goof-off (milayou).

Trying to clear out as many torches in Dharma early on as I can so I don't spend hours grinding near the end of the game to open up the bonus dungeon like I did in the SFC version.

Kishgal

Banned
john tv said:
I started with monster master (me), martial artist (hassan), priest (chamoro), mage (barbara), warrior (amos), goof-off (milayou).

Trying to clear out as many torches in Dharma early on as I can so I don't spend hours grinding near the end of the game to open up the bonus dungeon like I did in the SFC version.
I don't know if you consider this a spoiler, but, regarding the bonus dungeon in the DS version:
you unlock it just by beating the game now. Mastering all of the classes has a different reward now: a gospel ring.

Kishgal

Banned
I change everyone to magician first thing and fight one battle so they learn merami/frizzle. It's a great advantage early on. I tend to make Mireyu my superstar, so she's a dancer now. Confusion dance is great to have. Beyond that, I tend to mix things up. I haven't made a decision yet, so I'm playing it safe with the hero as a soldier, Hassan as a martial artist, Chamoro as magician and Barbara as priest. I need to make up my mind soon.

Barbara, I anticipate will be a problem, what with her terrible HP. Everyone else I will experiment wildly with on this version. Especially as it's easier...
Kishgal said:
I don't know if you consider this a spoiler, but, regarding the bonus dungeon in the DS version:
you unlock it just by beating the game now. Mastering all of the classes has a different reward now: a gospel ring.
So with the
goaspel ring
...no random battles?

Kishgal

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Barbara, I anticipate will be a problem, what with her terrible HP. Everyone else I will experiment wildly with on this version. Especially as it's easier...

So with the
goaspel ring
...no random battles?
I assume so, yeah. That's what it's done in the other games.

Yaweee

Kishgal said:

Praise Jesus! That is the one change that absolutely had to be made to the game. Nice work, S-E. You done good.

ElFly

Kishgal said:
I like how they added an NPC at the Dharma shrine whose only purpose is to tell you that you can't recruit monsters with the beastmaster anymore, but that you can recruit slimes around the world.
hahahha

Kishgal said:
There's also an NPC which gives you a description of the classes like in DQ9. That wasn't in the original... was it? I don't remember it at all. They aren't all that useful, but nice anyway. One thing I do like about it is that it shows you every ability the class gets on the top screen. (Photo)

Example:

Warrior
Traits: Good at fighting with weapons. Learns powerful sword skills.
Class change requirements: none.
Learning speed: quick.

For class change requirements, it just tells you which classes you need to level to unlock it. Nice enough. It doesn't give specifics for the hero class, though.

Now to decide who wants to be what. Definitely need someone to aim for superstar, though, as usual!

That NPC definitely was in the original game.

edit: maybe not in that place. IIRC he was on the left wing. mmm, don't know if I like how dharma looks

Kishgal

Banned
ElFly said:
hahahha

That NPC definitely was in the original game.

edit: maybe not in that place. IIRC he was on the left wing. mmm, don't know if I like how dharma looks
I booted up the SFC game to see. There's an NPC there that tells you about each job, one at a time, but without telling you anything about the skills they learn. So that's a nice addition.

john tv

Kishgal said:
I heard that too but I'm not convinced it's true. Will believe it when I see it (or one of you does). :)

john tv

I dunno if I'm just over-leveled or what but I feel like I'm having the problem of not being able to increase my job levels a lot more often than I did in the SFC game. It's almost as if they made the game slightly easier but didn't adjust the job level criteria to match.

Praying the
beast tower still lets you raise job levels regardless of your regular experience levels
. If not, I'm in trouble, heh heh.

Kishgal

Banned
john tv said:
I heard that too but I'm not convinced it's true. Will believe it when I see it (or one of you does). :)
I've seen it from a bunch of different sources, so I'm inclined to believe it. We'll see, I guess!

As for class leveling, here is a site that lists the maximum levels for each area: http://www.kirafura.com/dq/6/6-jyukulv.htm. It's for the SFC version, but it's been accurate for me so far in the DS version as well. There are a lot of areas that work regardless of level.

john tv

Kishgal said:
I've seen it from a bunch of different sources, so I'm inclined to believe it. We'll see, I guess!

As for class leveling, here is a site that lists the maximum levels for each area: http://www.kirafura.com/dq/6/6-jyukulv.htm. It's for the SFC version, but it's been accurate for me so far in the DS version as well. There are a lot of areas that work regardless of level.
Wow nice! I thought it was just the 魔術師の塔. :) Rockin!

Kishgal

Banned
john tv said:
This is by far the best-looking of the three DS games; it doesn't really become apparent until you get into some of the dungeons. I've seen some really pretty stuff so far, 10 hours in (I just passed
Arcbolt and the scene where Terry fights the monster
). That scene looked crazy good, too.

Definitely easier and faster, yeah. Also (minor spoiler):
you can ルーラ between worlds now,
thank GOD.
I assume this is what you were talking about, but I didn't figure it out until just now. Returning to Gran Maz's after getting the
mirror of Ra
is what enables this. Wish I'd realized it sooner!

john tv

Kishgal said:
I assume this is what you were talking about, but I didn't figure it out until just now. Returning to Gran Maz's after getting the
mirror of Ra
Yep! Very handy. Also essentially a shortcut straight to
Dharma
from the
lower world
if you think about it, which is nice.

Kishgal

Banned
Just saw the
Drango vs. Terry fight.
That looked totally amazing. Arte Piazza does such great sprite work. Now I really want to see the
Ortega vs. King Hydra battle
from DQ3 rendered in the same way.

Kishgal said:
mirror of Ra
D'oh. Going to do this now.

Kishgal

Banned
Just finished the
land of happiness
scenario. That's the first part of the game that really grabs me every time I play it. It's stuff like that which makes this game so special.

But man,
Jamiras
is still just as tough for me as usual. I wish I could get some breath protection equipment for Mireyu.

I just got my copy of this last night. This is the first time I've played DQVI, and I'm loving it! What a fantastic game. Just like DQIV and V on the DS, it has that magical DQ feel that was so lacking from DQIX (which I completed, but didn't enjoy that much). It's amazing how much better IV>VI are compared to IX.

Red Scarlet

Kishgal said:
I booted up the SFC game to see. There's an NPC there that tells you about each job, one at a time, but without telling you anything about the skills they learn. So that's a nice addition.

The instruction manual told you what skills each job learned, maybe they took that out of the DS manual and put it in the game instead? Is that info in the DS manual?

Kishgal

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
The instruction manual told you what skills each job learned, maybe they took that out of the DS manual and put it in the game instead? Is that info in the DS manual?
Well, it's a portable game so it's understood that you'll be playing away from the manual often (as I am now). I'm thankful for it. To answer your question, though, I seem to recall the skill lists still being there when I flipped through it. I'll have to verify later.

Also, the AI in this game is so smart with using equipment as items that I've actually been using it quite a bit. I almost always use manual control in DQ games, but it's hard to resist for random battles, especially when it cheats (heals damage taken during the same turn, etc.)

Bebpo

Banned
I'm about 7 hours in now and about to take on
mudo for the first time
the walkthrough at gamefaqs says this is the end of the first 1/3rd of the game? (got stuck at the mirror; had to faq it) Seems off since everyone is saying 50 hours-ish. I'm guessing the other 66% is a lot longer.

I actually got there at about 6 hours but I've been grinding metal slimes because Barbara was soooo far behind everyone level-wise she was useless except for casting rukani. Right now I have 18/18/16/12 for levels. I kind of want to get Barbara to at least 14 before the fight.

Loving the story so far. Happily surprised that many enemy sprites are new :)

Red Scarlet

Bebpo said:
I'm about 7 hours in now and about to take on
mudo for the first time
the walkthrough at gamefaqs says this is the end of the first 1/3rd of the game? (got stuck at the mirror; had to faq it) Seems off since everyone is saying 50 hours-ish. I'm guessing the other 66% is a lot longer.

I actually got there at about 6 hours but I've been grinding metal slimes because Barbara was soooo far behind everyone level-wise she was useless except for casting rukani. Right now I have 18/18/16/12 for levels. I kind of want to get Barbara to at least 14 before the fight.

Loving the story so far. Happily surprised that many enemy sprites are new :)

It's longer when you get the jobs, and hopefully you didn't screw yourself a bit killing metal slimes..6 is like 7 where you DON'T want to kill metal monsters early on since regular badguys can stop 'counting' towards levelling up your jobs (unless they made anything count now).

Kishgal

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
It's longer when you get the jobs, and hopefully you didn't screw yourself a bit killing metal slimes..6 is like 7 where you DON'T want to kill metal monsters early on since regular badguys can stop 'counting' towards levelling up your jobs (unless they made anything count now).
It's not really a big deal. There are tons of places with enemies that count no matter what.

Bebpo

Banned
Are you saying enemies don't count if you are too high level? I'm going to be about 20/20/18/14 when I beat that boss.

Kishgal

Banned
Bebpo said:
Are you saying enemies don't count if you are too high level? I'm going to be about 20/20/18/14 when I beat that boss.
Many enemies in the game stop counting toward your class level when they're too low, yeah. You aren't significantly overleveled, though, and as I mentioned... from about the halfway point of the game, you come across lots of areas that have enemies that count regardless of your level.

There's an NPC who tells you how many battles you have to fight to raise your class level, so it isn't difficult to ensure you're making progress.

Bebpo

Banned
k, cool. Not planning on leveling any further. I just wanted to get Barbra up to speed because I had a lvl.14 party and she was like level...6 ;_;

I wish characters didn't start at such a low level when you get them.

john tv

Bebpo said:
k, cool. Not planning on leveling any further. I just wanted to get Barbra up to speed because I had a lvl.14 party and she was like level...6 ;_;

I wish characters didn't start at such a low level when you get them.
I dunno how to say this without spoiling so I guess I'll just use tags, but
you really don't need to worry about leveling up Barbara right now -- she stays behind for a major upcoming fight
. The characters who join later will balance out and catch up naturally anyway.

Oxx

The wait for this is going to kill me. I almost bought DQ Monsters yesterday (it's only £4.99!), but decided against it.

Maybe I'll give DQ Swords another go. It will probably have more of an impact now that I have played the DS remakes.

Oxx said:
The wait for this is going to kill me. I almost bought DQ Monsters yesterday (it's only £4.99!), but decided against it.

Maybe I'll give DQ Swords another go. It will probably have more of an impact now that I have played the DS remakes.

DQMJ is very good, douchey main character design aside.

Bebpo

Banned
wow, that was a lot less epic fight than I had expected!

Story is very interesting. It's far more complex than dqiv/v so far and feels closer to a ff-ish plotline. I dig it and I love all the little dq details in terms of how towns change as time progresses based on events. For example in San Marino
you see the story of the maid being framed and jailed as a ghost -> you interact with the npcs involved and find out she ran away and let her lover know the truth -> you revist the city anytime later and they're back together with the story of what happened
. There was a lot of that type of stuff in DQV and was why dqv's world was one of my rpg favorites. So I really enjoy it here too.

I'm at the shrine people town. Around 7:30 hours. Guessing jobs are coming up soon. I can't wait to get a job for my main character because he is kinda ho-hum average right now and Hassan is a million times better than him. Gotta make him strong!

Red Scarlet

Bebpo said:
you see the story of the maid being framed and jailed as a ghost -> you interact with the npcs involved and find out she ran away and let her lover know the truth -> you revist the city anytime later and they're back together with the story of what happened

Now you know why that one jerky guy in DQ8 had that other guy eat Leopold's food first
same thing happened in 7 too, someone poisoned the dog's food

Kishgal

Banned
Just finished the
Fon castle/mirror princess
scenario. It's another one that I really adore.
Miralgo
was easier than I remember, although
ニフラム never worked once on his minions, which is what I always use. メダパニ was reliable, though, as usual.

Mermaids
next, another of my favorites. :eek:

I also wanted to mention that I've noticed quite a number of new battle backgrounds lately, which I'm happy about. Something else to set DQ6 DS apart from the others.

Kishgal said:
Just finished the
Fon castle/mirror princess
scenario. It's another one that I really adore.
Miralgo
was easier than I remember, although
ニフラム never worked once on his minions, which is what I always use. メダパニ was reliable, though, as usual.

Mermaids
next, another of my favorites. :eek:

I also wanted to mention that I've noticed quite a number of new battle backgrounds lately, which I'm happy about. Something else to set DQ6 DS apart from the others.
Heh, you've already blown past me. I just finished the
Land of Happiness
bit.

Kishgal said:
How did you like that part? It's the first part of the game that I really love.
It was interesting but I definitely knew something was up. At first I was worried
about fighting that guy, cuz he looked tough and the crowd sort of intimidated me, but he went down without too much trouble.

Kishgal

Banned
Sigh. Looks like in order to recruit the
behoma slime, liquid metal slime and marine slime
without beating the game first, you have to pass certain numbers people with chance encounter/すれ違い. That's so dumb, and reminds me of the onion knight stuff in FF3 DS. It's also not even possible for me, since the likelihood of me finding that many people here is nil.

Beating the game seems to remove the requirement, so you can get them for the bonus dungeon without that, but that's not really acceptable. :\

john tv

Kishgal said:
Sigh. Looks like in order to recruit the
behoma slime, liquid metal slime and marine slime
without beating the game first, you have to pass certain numbers people with chance encounter/すれ違い. That's so dumb, and reminds me of the onion knight stuff in FF3 DS. It's also not even possible for me, since the likelihood of me finding that many people here is nil.

Beating the game seems to remove the requirement, so you can get them for the bonus dungeon without that, but that's not really acceptable. :\
Where is "here"? It's pretty ridiculously easy in Japan, but I guess that's kind of the point, huh. It's too bad you can't do this stuff over Wi-Fi. Maybe in DQ10?

Kishgal

Banned
john tv said:
Where is "here"? It's pretty ridiculously easy in Japan, but I guess that's kind of the point, huh. It's too bad you can't do this stuff over Wi-Fi. Maybe in DQ10?
I'm not in Japan, unfortunately. But even if I were, I'd still find it crappy since I love to replay games, and there's no guarantee it will be as easy in the future when people aren't playing it much anymore.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really wonder what they are going to do with all the meet up stuff in DQ IX with the NA and EU release. Something online to replace it?

Man God said:
I really wonder what they are going to do with all the meet up stuff in DQ IX with the NA and EU release. Something online to replace it?
What they should do is put all that content into the cartridge without all the online fuss.

The network stuff won't be as popular here.

Kishgal

Banned
Just finished ranks A-F of the slime fights with my trusty slime knight. Having some trouble with G, but I'll get it. It's too bad that the reward for F (
killer earrings
) isn't super great in this one compared to other games, because of who can/can't equip it and my usual class choices.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, this part was kinda bullshit.

I went to Mudo's real castle and then I CAN'T LEAVE IT. So I had like 14k gold from fighting all the enemies in the cave leading up to it and all the enemies in the castle and it wouldn't let me leave so I could drop it off at the bank.

So then I fight Mudo and his 2nd form and he destroys my team right now. Mainly because Chamoro is the only one with REVIVE yet he can be instantly KO'd on the 2nd form (he's only lv.14; I hate getting low level characters!) because the 2nd form loves to combo ice breath -> lightning which does about 120 damage across the board to all 4 members [Chamoro has max 105HP]. His sleep spell doesn't help either since if 2 or 3 healers are sleeping when he double magic combos for 120, I have no way of healing everyone before he does it again and kills a bunch of characters.

So yeah, back at the inn, 7k gold lost. fffffuuuuu

I hate losing money in DQ. I always drop my cash off at the bank before boss fights!

GUESS I'll GO GRIND METAL SLIMES UNTIL DUMB KID GETS HIS LEVELS UP A BIT

Kishgal

Banned
Bebpo said:
Ok, this part was kinda bullshit.

I went to Mudo's real castle and then I CAN'T LEAVE IT. So I had like 14k gold from fighting all the enemies in the cave leading up to it and all the enemies in the castle and it wouldn't let me leave so I could drop it off at the bank.

So then I fight Mudo and his 2nd form and he destroys my team right now. Mainly because Chamoro is the only one with REVIVE yet he can be instantly KO'd on the 2nd form (he's only lv.14; I hate getting low level characters!) because the 2nd form loves to combo ice breath -> lightning which does about 120 damage across the board to all 4 members [Chamoro has max 105HP]. His sleep spell doesn't help either since if 2 or 3 healers are sleeping when he double magic combos for 120, I have no way of healing everyone before he does it again and kills a bunch of characters.

So yeah, back at the inn, 7k gold lost. fffffuuuuu

I hate losing money in DQ. I always drop my cash off at the bank before boss fights!

GUESS I'll GO GRIND METAL SLIMES UNTIL DUMB KID GETS HIS LEVELS UP A BIT
You shouldn't be having that much trouble. I beat it with Chamoro at 14. Some tips, though you probably already know most of this:

use the Gent staff as an item for free heals. Avoid せいけんづき since it misses a lot in that fight, so try using the flame claws as an item instead. Having Mireyu buff everyone at least once with スカラ or スクルト if she has it. Also, be sure to put Chamoro in position 3 to help him avoid damage. And ignore the minions until the end.

Top Bottom