• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dragon Quest VI Import Thread of DQIX Hasn't Even Been Translated Yet

Quick question:

Is Nintendo and/or SQUEEX going to release this alongside DQIX?

wib0z.jpg

It would be smart. I could have sworn Satoru Iwata said something about trying to make the DQ franchise successful in the west. Wouldn't releasing this Trojan Horse help do the job?

Kishgal

Banned
I think Itadaki Street DS was being considered for release in the west as Party Castle or something, but nothing ever became of it. I don't know how well it'd do, either... it's my favorite Itadaki game, though, because of the WFC capabilities. Love playing it with friends online.

john tv

Kishgal said:
I think Itadaki Street DS was being considered for release in the west as Party Castle or something, but nothing ever became of it. I don't know how well it'd do, either... it's my favorite Itadaki game, though, because of the WFC capabilities. Love playing it with friends online.
Not to derail this thread too much, but just curious -- is it any fun to play that 1P? I've never tried IS, but I was always curious about this particular version.

Kishgal

Banned
john tv said:
Not to derail this thread too much, but just curious -- is it any fun to play that 1P? I've never tried IS, but I was always curious about this particular version.
I think it's enjoyable for a time in single player, but not for very long. It's basically sugoroku from Dragon Quest crossed with Monopoly, with a few extra minigames and side things to do. I haven't played it alone in a really long time, personally, but I do have a friend who plays it all the time by herself.

mutsu

Went out to look for the game yesterday but the price is ridiculously inflated... so I will have to wait a little longer before I get my hands on this baby.

The box sure looks shiny. Very attractive.

Bebpo

Banned
Is there no day/night cycle in this game? I'm only about 4 hours in but I haven't seen anything at night so far. I might be remembering wrong but I thought some of earlier ones had day/night?

Kishgal

Banned
Bebpo said:
Is there no day/night cycle in this game? I'm only about 4 hours in but I haven't seen anything at night so far. I might be remembering wrong but I thought some of earlier ones had day/night?
Nope. 3, 4, 5, 8, 9 only. In 6 and 7, time only changes for plot reasons.

Kishgal

Banned
Interesting change of dialog during the
spirit procession

In DQ6 SFC, the spirit just says that the world will soon fall into darkness, and that the hero needs to prepare before that time comes. In this one, the spirit also mentions specifically about fighting the evil lord with a group of allies (the dream at the beginning). And then when you speak with the priest, he mentions that what you saw must have been a dream, because the world is at peace.

It's a tiny change, and yet I think it makes a great impact on the player's understanding of the events and the world early on.

EDIT: Edited some because I had a total brain fart regarding who said what in the SFC version.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
NinMicroSega said:
Quick question:

Is Nintendo and/or SQUEEX going to release this alongside DQIX?

wib0z.jpg

It would be smart. I could have sworn Satoru Iwata said something about trying to make the DQ franchise successful in the west. Wouldn't releasing this Trojan Horse help do the job?

Maybe if they renamed it Mario Party X Dragon Quest.

john tv

Kishgal said:
Yah, if I recall back in the day, they were trying to go back to basics a bit with DQ6. Another really nice thing (IMO) is people in the wagon gain experience too. So even if you're in a dungeon and can't change party members, they're still gaining EXP along with you.

Bebpo

Banned
Kishgal said:

Ah, I've only played 4,5,8,9 so I thought it was a regular part of the series ^^;

On one hand I kind of am glad there's no cycle because it means I don't have to talk to every npc in the town, then sleep until night and then talk to every npc in the town again!
OTOH sometimes it's neat seeing how different places can be at night. Oh well, not going to lose any sleep over it either way.

john tv said:
Yah, if I recall back in the day, they were trying to go back to basics a bit with DQ6. Another really nice thing (IMO) is people in the wagon gain experience too. So even if you're in a dungeon and can't change party members, they're still gaining EXP along with you.

Cool!

Kishgal

Banned
Just got to San Marino, and done for tonight probably.
I must say that I'm really enjoying all of the new party chat stuff. That's a definite plus. A DQ7 remake would be greatly improved by having tons more party chatter, too. People say "..." way too much in that game.

I wonder if you get anything cool for completing the monster book in this game.

Kishgal said:
Here you go.
I also recorded my favorite song from the game, Inviting Village.

I hope it's okay to post these!
Unless my ears are deceiving me, Castle sounds extremely close to SFC version. Not bad.

All the changes sound cool. Faster and easier is to be expected, the beginning of VI SFC could be a nightmare with the spotted slime. Proper bag addition sounds cool. Apart from the visuals being similar to the other remakes on DS and reuse of assets like npc and battle backgrounds, I guess not much else I could expect to be better. There's certainly a lot less to improve here mechanic wise than the past games that were remade. In VI SFC you could move fast already, enter places easily without cumbersome button functions and the spritework was top quality. I can't wait to see how some enemies and bosses look and animate now, as there can be improvements there. :)

I do wonder if bonus dungeon requirements are the same. Or if the dungeon has been altered, even.

Kishgal

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Unless my ears are deceiving me, Castle sounds extremely close to SFC version. Not bad.

All the changes sound cool. Faster and easier is to be expected, the beginning of VI SFC could be a nightmare with the spotted slime. Proper bag addition sounds cool. Apart from the visuals being similar to the other remakes on DS and reuse of assets like npc and battle backgrounds, I guess not much else I could expect to be better. There's certainly a lot less to improve here mechanic wise than the past games that were remade. In VI SFC you could move fast already, enter places easily without cumbersome button functions and the spritework was top quality. I can't wait to see how some enemies and bosses look and animate now, as there can be improvements there. :)

I do wonder if bonus dungeon requirements are the same. Or if the dungeon has been altered, even.
Animations are nicer (and faster) all around. One of my complaints with the original was how slow the attack animations were. It was fixed in DQ3r, and it's nice to have a version of DQ6 that's even faster.

I went ahead and did the
cave of dream-seeing
and I was surprised that
Mireyu joins in battle, though AI controlled (like Bella in DQ5r). She just follows you in the original.
That was always one of the tougher parts of the game for me, and now it's a cakewalk.

Kishgal said:
Animations are nicer (and faster) all around. One of my complaints with the original was how slow the attack animations were. It was fixed in DQ3r, and it's nice to have a version of DQ6 that's even faster.

I went ahead and did the
cave of dream-seeing
and I was surprised that
Mireyu joins in battle, though AI controlled (like Bella in DQ5r). She just follows you in the original.
That was always one of the tougher parts of the game for me, and now it's a cakewalk.
Yeah enemies took ages before the animated attacks came through, that's one thing that HAD to improve.

That is an interesting change... though it makes me a little sad that it sucked away all the challenge :\ I certainly hope they didn't nerf
dark dream
too much that he becomes a joke.

Anyway, it's killing me that I can't play with you guys just yet!

Kishgal

Banned
Magicpaint said:
In regards to this, I heard that you only need to beat the game, and don't need to master all of the classes. Mastering all of the classes has a new reward (
gospel ring
) But I can't confirm that first-hand.

Red Scarlet

Magicpaint said:

It sounds close, but not as good, imo, and a bit faster tempo. Thank you for quelling my curiosity, Kish. :)

Kishgal, would you mind recording the normal town music for me? I'm curious as to how that sounds.
Kishgal said:
In regards to this, I heard that you only need to beat the game, and don't need to master all of the classes. Mastering all of the classes has a new reward (
gospel ring
) But I can't confirm that first-hand.
That would be amazing, if true. I probably wouldn't bother going into the bonus dungeon if the requirements remained the same :/
Red Scarlet said:
It sounds close, but not as good, imo, and a bit faster tempo. Thank you for quelling my curiosity, Kish. :)
Yeah, it's a bit faster in tempo, and it has that fuzzy sound that usually comes with DS games. Perhaps, I expected worse since the SNES soundchip is superior, imo.

Red Scarlet

If I recall, DQ6 on SFC came with some special sound chip or something.

I'd love to try the game out again, just using a GG code to have anything count as a battle, but I got impatient and ended up deleting my save at the end of the game during my marathon play. I should've just kept it at 'anything counts' and fought spotted slimes for a couple more hours to master each job.

How much faster are battles? Monsters animated rather slowly on the original (it took me aback after having played 3 first). Is the inventory system un-weird now?

Kishgal

Banned
I think the main reason why DQ6 and DQ3r SFC sound so good is because the sound programming had extra care taken to it. Hitoshi Sakimoto did a great job with that; it has great instruments. The DS version's music sounds neutered in a lot of ways by comparison, especially the
flying bed
song and Mudo's castle music. And Inviting Village, as well. Whoever did the sound programming for this version didn't really cut it. :\

Magicpaint said:
Kishgal, would you mind recording the normal town music for me? I'm curious as to how that sounds.

Here you go.

Red Scarlet said:
How much faster are battles? Monsters animated rather slowly on the original (it took me aback after having played 3 first). Is the inventory system un-weird now?
Battles are identical to DQ4 and 5 DS. Very fast on the highest speed. Inventory and menus are exactly the same, as well, so yes, that means a proper bag.

Red Scarlet

Is it weird still though? The original was set up completely different, different buttons to open stuff and the bag had all weird options and stuff on default.

Kishgal

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Is it weird still though? The original was set up completely different, different buttons to open stuff and the bag had all weird options and stuff on default.
Nope. Buttons are the same as DQ4/5 DS, bag options are the same, and the 'remember' option for conversations is totally gone, too.

Kishgal

Banned
Looks like in the latest Famitsu, Horii says that the main reason why they removed recruitable monsters from DQ6 was for party chat's sake, as well as cartridge capacity issues.

Red Scarlet

You can't recruit monsters in the DS version? I never did that in the original though, aside from Dorango. Didn't bother to learn/figure it out (everyone always mentioned post-game monsters as being the only worthwhile ones).

Kishgal

Banned
Nope, they changed the beastmaster class and removed that. You can still recruit slime monsters for the slime battles, but by talking to them instead of through battle.

Red Scarlet

How'd they change beastmaster?
How'd you actually recruit in the original? IIRC you had to be? a beastmaster and sometimes a monster would join after a fight like in 5 but that never happened for me in 6.

Kishgal

Banned
I'm not sure how they changed it exactly... I'll let you know once I get access to it. What they said was that they made its skillset more monster-related, whatever that means.

As for recruiting, the rank of the beastmaster class determined which monsters you could recruit. It was just an extra requirement over what was there in 5. I never used it, either, except lamp demons from the final dungeon were pretty good, albeit rare.

Couldn't they have used a larger cart? This is DQ, it's going to sell. It's not a massive loss (beastmaster class was fairly useless imo), but I hate the idea of removing something in a remake.
Kishgal said:
Thanks. I actually really like the layers in this one.

Red Scarlet

Kishgal said:
I'm not sure how they changed it exactly... I'll let you know once I get access to it. What they said was that they made its skillset more monster-related, whatever that means.

As for recruiting, the rank of the beastmaster class determined which monsters you could recruit. It was just an extra requirement over what was there in 5. I never used it, either, except lamp demons from the final dungeon were pretty good, albeit rare.

Yeah, Lamp Demons and Killer Machines were the only worthwhile monsters to recruit or something like that.

Kishgal

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Couldn't they have used a larger cart? This is DQ, it's going to sell. It's not a massive loss (beastmaster class was fairly useless imo), but I hate the idea of removing something in a remake.

Thanks. I actually really like the layers in this one.
Well, the next largest size of cartridge is twice the size, which would probably be quite a waste of money if they just needed to fit a bit more data in. And I understand what he's saying, too. He wants people to enjoy talking with their companions. Lots of people complain about spending a lot of DQ5 with monster party members who don't even talk. But I agree that if possible, it shouldn't have been removed. Options are always good.

EDIT: Then again, if cartridge capacity issues are what caused the lack of new content, then they could have used all of that extra space for some cool new stuff. :eek:

john tv

Kishgal said:
Nope, they changed the beastmaster class and removed that. You can still recruit slime monsters for the slime battles, but by talking to them instead of through battle.
Actually I'm pretty sure the slimes join your party as regular members.

Kishgal

Banned
john tv said:
Actually I'm pretty sure the slimes join your party as regular members.
Oh, I know that. I just meant that they join through conversation in towns and stuff instead of at the end of battles like before. And that you can still get slimes to use in the slime battles, which would be a concern when one hears that normal recruitment is gone.

Hobbun

Looking forward to this game even more with all the impressions I am hearing. Like V, have not have played it until the DS version.

I wish SE would announce a NA release date already.

ElFly

Kishgal said:
Nope. Buttons are the same as DQ4/5 DS, bag options are the same, and the 'remember' option for conversations is totally gone, too.

Oh god, thank god. I hated pressing the wrong button and seeing the message about remembering conversations.

It was pretty useless.

Kishgal said:
Well, the next largest size of cartridge is twice the size, which would probably be quite a waste of money if they just needed to fit a bit more data in. And I understand what he's saying, too. He wants people to enjoy talking with their companions. Lots of people complain about spending a lot of DQ5 with monster party members who don't even talk. But I agree that if possible, it shouldn't have been removed. Options are always good.

EDIT: Then again, if cartridge capacity issues are what caused the lack of new content, then they could have used all of that extra space for some cool new stuff. :eek:

I hope they add a couple of extra party members in the eventual DQVII remake. A lot of that game was spent with only two or three party members, who most of the time would say "...".

e: the castle music is just a little faster than the old one. I have the old bgm on this pc too :D

Kishgal

Banned
I just noticed that slime knights have a new attack animation where they get off of their slime, pick it up by the top, and swing it at you.

I said, "what."

Kishgal said:
I just noticed that slime knights have a new attack animation where they get off of their slime, pick it up by the top, and swing it at you.

I said, "what."
Hahah, yeah, that's fucking hilarious. The animations in DQ games are so fun.

So yeah, I'm a bit further in (about 9 hours now) but I just got my arse kicked by
Mudo's second form
. Any advice from the DQ6 vets?

Kishgal

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

So yeah, I'm a bit further in (about 9 hours now) but I just got my arse kicked by
Mudo's second form
Make sure you're using the Gent staff as an item for healing. Mireyu casting スクルト is helpful, too, but not required. Beyond that, it's the usual spirit punch spam from Hassan and stuff. Also I think he's rather weak to fire, so flame claws and such are good. はじゃのつるぎ is also fire, I think.

Kishgal said:
Make sure you're using the Gent staff as an item for healing. Mireyu casting スクルト is helpful, too, but not required. Beyond that, it's the usual spirit punch spam from Hassan and stuff. Also I think he's rather weak to fire, so flame claws and such are good. はじゃのつるぎ is also fire, I think.
Okay. Mireyu doesn't have that spell yet, so I'll level up a level or two. I'm pretty much doing the other stuff, so we'll see if that extra level plus the extra spell can tip the scales.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Does the village theme sound identical to the SFC? Probably my favorite game town theme ever.

Kishgal, you're prob my favorite of the new crop of juniors - some very insightful and informative posts in this thread, thanks!

Funny, the second time I went to go fight
Mudo
, I decided I didn't feel like grinding and was going to give it a try at my current levels. Luck was on my side, because he went down like a sack of potatoes.

Now I can change my jobs! What to choose, what to choose.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Kishgal said:
Looks like in the latest Famitsu, Horii says that the main reason why they removed recruitable monsters from DQ6 was for party chat's sake, as well as cartridge capacity issues.
:rolleyes @ horii

Kishgal

Banned
Just finished Amoru and heading to
the mirror tower

Ever since I played DQ8 in English, I've wondered if Plus Alpha knew what they were doing when they
translated アモールの水 as amor-seco essence.
It'll be really interesting to see how they handle it in the DQ6 DS translation.

Error said:
:rolleyes @ horii
Well, I prefer lots of party chat, and never really recruited monsters in DQ6, so it's fine to me!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I've had this sit on my desk for quite a number of days. For some reason I cannot compel myself to play it :(

Kishgal

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

Mudo's second form
I just did this fight myself and realized my actual strategy is a bit different from what I said.
Spirit punch misses almost every time on him, so I have Hassan use the flame claws as an item to deal ~80 damage to him, and just have the hero attack... with Mireyu buffing and healing, and Chamoro healing the whole fight.

Won very easily on my first try with levels at
hero 18, Hassan 18, Mireyu 17, Chamoro 14
. I saw that you beat it, though, so it's cool I guess!

Top Bottom