• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Dragon Quest VI Import Thread of DQIX Hasn't Even Been Translated Yet

john tv

Kishgal said:
I used Pierre with soldier/martial artist/battlemaster to get through most of the monster fights pretty easily. I didn't go all the way through them though.
Me too -- I just finished up today, actually. Gave him the Gent staff so he could heal if need be. I cleared out the entire ranks -- two metal king shields is no joke!

I felt kinda dirty tho -- as soon as I was done, I took off all his equipment, gave his items to other people, and threw him in Luida's bar. No hard feelings, Pierre...

Red Scarlet

Kishgal said:
I used Pierre with soldier/martial artist/battlemaster to get through most of the monster fights pretty easily. I didn't go all the way through them though.

That's the path I have planned for the Slime. Haven't run into a single Slime Knight afaik. Too bad Dorango probably can't compete.

You are a mean person, john.

Bebpo

Banned
I got to rank 5 in the style contest but I need a male with 296+ style and I haven't gotten anything new to take me beyond 210 where I was at when I beat rank 2 (used Mirelu in bunny set to beat rank 3/4). Do I need to jump back on the story at this point and get the legendary set? Or gain levels or something? I'm lvl.30 and a dancer with platinum set minus the helmet & deseo pass.

john tv

Bebpo said:
I got to rank 5 in the style contest but I need a male with 296+ style and I haven't gotten anything new to take me beyond 210 where I was at when I beat rank 2 (used Mirelu in bunny set to beat rank 3/4). Do I need to jump back on the story at this point and get the legendary set? Or gain levels or something? I'm lvl.30 and a dancer with platinum set minus the helmet & deseo pass.
I think I came back and did ranks 5 and 6 after I got all of the legendary equipment. 7 is easier -- just gave a full set of platinum gear plus an accessory to my slime knight. 8 I actually still haven't beaten and I'm in the last dungeon -- I figure I'll go back and get that one afterwards.

FYI, rank 5 is 280, rank 6 is 310, rank 7 is 260, rank 8 is 360.

Hokey dokey, just finished the main quest. I'm going to take a break before I tackle the bonus dungeon, so I figure I might as well post my thoughts on this now.

Having played every other DQ besides this one, I kind of came into this with a fair bit of expectations and at least a little bit of baggage. It seemed very strange and unconventional initially, but after the first third of the game, things got back into a fairly conventional DQ style.

Storywise, this one isn't as good as DQV, which felt like a very personal story. In spite of the twist the "Realms of Reverie" bring to the story, this game felt like it was painting by numbers for much of the narrative. The vignettes, however, are wonderful. A lot of happy stories and a few sad ones, too.

As for the characters, I can't say I like this bunch all that much. No one really jumps out the way Torneko, Yangus, or Sancho did in other games. By and large the playable characters' stories were the ones I cared the least about, which is as much a testament to the excellent vignettes as it is to any major failings on the part of the main characters.

I found the difficulty level to be pretty low overall throughout the game. I only ever lost to one boss, and I got him on the third try. The last boss is a bit of a tiger, though, and I was lucky to get by without wiping.

The job system is certainly interesting. You can learn so many skills, but it suffers (to a lesser extent) from a similar malady to its offspring, DQVII, which is that many of the skills are pretty worthless. Oh well!

Graphics are as expected, though they did impress in a couple of cutscenes. The music was wonderful, but I'd expect nothing less from DQ.

Overall, I'd put the game somewhere in the middle of my list for DQs. I don't think it's as good as 4 or 5, but it's better than 7 or 8, and of course leagues beyond 1 and 2. Even though it's pretty different from DQ9, I'd say I enjoyed these two games about the same, and both offered about the same length of quest (minus post-game content). I had a really great time with this and I will definitely buy it again when it comes out in English, if for no other reason than to have an excuse to replay it.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah I don't care for the job system at all in DQ games I guess. Didn't like IX's approach and don't enjoy VI's approach. They level too slowly, so if you aren't planning on grinding enemies at all in the game, by the end you'll maaaaaybe have 3 jobs finished. Which gives you about 30 skills, but then 26 of them will be useless. I mean on the other hand they couldn't let you level them quickly because of the way its setup or else every character would have every good skill by the end. I just think the system as a whole isn't very satisfying. I'm less enthusiastic to play DQVII now, knowing it's the same job system over a longer game length.

I kind of hope X doesn't have jobs.

Kishgal

Banned
I was really excited about 9's system before I actually played the game. Conceptually, integrating DQ8's skill point system made a whole lot of sense and was very exciting. But in execution, they made it so you don't hold on to the spells you learn and have them accessible in every job, which is what I'd wanted.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Seeing Segata's comment on the challenge level of the game... I played quite a bit of the SFC game a few years back, and remembered having a lot of trouble with some of the bosses. Especially the cave of trials with the 3 bosses or what have you. Keep in mind, I didn't really know much in the way of Japanese when I played, and was relying almost exclusively on Ian Kelley's FAQs to play...

so the question I ask, is the DS version the same difficulty-wise as the original, or was it made easier? I remember DQ4 and DQ5 DS being quite a bit easier then when I played them originally, or it could just be that I've gotten better at these games as I got older? :p

Bebpo

Banned
This sounds silly but I can't find Hawk in Londeseo after the "find me 3 times" mini-game. I found him on the 3rd time and he said come to my house and bring the money and I go to his house under the well and his wife says he hasn't returned. I've spent the last 20 mins checking every house again and talking with all the npcs and he is nowhere. I looked at the SFC faq and it just said "go back to his house under the well".

Glitch or did I miss something?

john tv

Bebpo said:
This sounds silly but I can't find Hawk in Londeseo after the "find me 3 times" mini-game. I found him on the 3rd time and he said come to my house and bring the money and I go to his house under the well and his wife says he hasn't returned. I've spent the last 20 mins checking every house again and talking with all the npcs and he is nowhere. I looked at the SFC faq and it just said "go back to his house under the well".

Glitch or did I miss something?
He said to talk to the two dudes standing at the bar, THEN come to his house. :)

Bebpo

Banned
Ah, I found the problem. I was talking to them from the customer side and you need to talk to them from the bartender side to hear the story and trigger him at his house.

Thanks for the hint.

john tv

I just beat the final boss; even at level 40 he was reasonably tough. Probably took me around 40-45 hours in total (can't say for sure because the damn clock counts surechigai time too).

The animation on the end boss is amazing. Arte Piazza's artists are ridiculously talented.

EDIT: 40-45, not 40-455 (lol)

Bebpo

Banned
So I give up on the style contest, I don't understand how the heck I'm supposed to win rank 5.

I finished gathering the legendary equipment and with all of them equipped + deseo pass and the main guy a dancer at lvl.33 and having given every single style item found so far to the main guy, his style is....223 + 50 bonus so 273. Meanwhile someone else keeps winning the contest with 285 style. I don't really understand how I'm supposed to beat this besides gaining a bunch of levels and finding more style items in the rest of the story.

:(

Kishgal

Banned
Bebpo said:
So I give up on the style contest, I don't understand how the heck I'm supposed to win rank 5.

I finished gathering the legendary equipment and with all of them equipped + deseo pass and the main guy a dancer at lvl.33 and having given every single style item found so far to the main guy, his style is....223 + 50 bonus so 273. Meanwhile someone else keeps winning the contest with 285 style. I don't really understand how I'm supposed to beat this besides gaining a bunch of levels and finding more style items in the rest of the story.

:(
I'm not sure what to suggest off the top of my head except that superstar gives a higher style bonus.

Bebpo

Banned
Actually I forgot about the style shop guy. Just checked him now and for 10k he can give me a 20 style boost, which should be enough to get me over. Time to spend my savings on style. Will probably have to do this again with the plat set to make it to rank 8.

Bebpo

Banned
I went back and did it at 243+50 = 293 and the guy next to me WON at 297 style.
Uhhhh, is it totally random? Because like I said, last time he won at 285 style.

Also I'm assuming there is a 50 point bonus for the legendary set? Maybe there is no bonus and I really only have 243 >_<

john tv

Bebpo said:
I went back and did it at 243+50 = 293 and the guy next to me WON at 297 style.
Uhhhh, is it totally random? Because like I said, last time he won at 285 style.

Also I'm assuming there is a 50 point bonus for the legendary set? Maybe there is no bonus and I really only have 243 >_<
You don't get +50 for the legendary equipment -- you get +15.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, checked the wiki and saw that. Got to rank 8 now. For rank 5 I used the platinum set with the legendary set helmet. This still had me under at 261, but I paid 16k at the style guy and got the helmet upgraded to 281 style putting me barely 1 point over for rank 5.

Then rank 6/7 are easy by just using the full plat set.

Bebpo

Banned
Just hit 30 hours, got Terry. Party is ~lvl.33

Is it just me or are boss fights really unbalanced in DQ games? It's been a while since I played a DQ game (IX wasn't very memorable, and last one I played before that was the DS IV port) but it seems like if a boss uses a non-breath magic attack they are really hard because there is no way to lighten the damage. Meanwhile if they use physical attacks they are a complete joke because you can buff physical def.

For example, Duran was a huge joke. After a few def buffs, he did <10 damage to all party each turn. Even his big stabs did like 25 damage. Complete joke. I was waiting for him to get real and start attacking with damaging stuff, but since he was all physical, nothing he did hurt.

Otoh, the castle fight before that was crazy. When it did the huge tornado every round it would do 90-100 damage to all party. Since 3 of my 4 characters have a max HP below 200, this meant if my healer didn't get his fully party heal off before the tornado came again, it'd wipe all 3 and in fact by the end of the battle it did! I finished that battle with only Hassan alive for the last few rounds because his HP is awesome and he's using the kiseki no tsurugi and healing every turn and is doing great damage thanks to biokilt + bakuretsuken. He's basically a 1 man army on bosses and never ever dies.

The huge disparity of the difficulty level between these two battles just feels like the balance is really screwy thanks to DQ games not having a M.DEF stat and a M.DEF buff spell to balance the physical DEF buff spell. Even fubaba or whatever its called isn't even a real buff, it just blocks a certain type of magic once and then goes away.

I dunno, this is my 5th DQ and it's the first time I've thought about this, so maybe it's just DQVI's balance that is out of whack.

john tv

Bebpo said:
Just hit 30 hours, got Terry. Party is ~lvl.33

Is it just me or are boss fights really unbalanced in DQ games? It's been a while since I played a DQ game (IX wasn't very memorable, and last one I played before that was the DS IV port) but it seems like if a boss uses a non-breath magic attack they are really hard because there is no way to lighten the damage. Meanwhile if they use physical attacks they are a complete joke because you can buff physical def.

For example, Duran was a huge joke. After a few def buffs, he did <10 damage to all party each turn. Even his big stabs did like 25 damage. Complete joke. I was waiting for him to get real and start attacking with damaging stuff, but since he was all physical, nothing he did hurt.

Otoh, the castle fight before that was crazy. When it did the huge tornado every round it would do 90-100 damage to all party. Since 3 of my 4 characters have a max HP below 200, this meant if my healer didn't get his fully party heal off before the tornado came again, it'd wipe all 3 and in fact by the end of the battle it did! I finished that battle with only Hassan alive for the last few rounds because his HP is awesome and he's using the kiseki no tsurugi and healing every turn and is doing great damage thanks to biokilt + bakuretsuken. He's basically a 1 man army on bosses and never ever dies.

The huge disparity of the difficulty level between these two battles just feels like the balance is really screwy thanks to DQ games not having a M.DEF stat and a M.DEF buff spell to balance the physical DEF buff spell. Even fubaba or whatever its called isn't even a real buff, it just blocks a certain type of magic once and then goes away.

I dunno, this is my 5th DQ and it's the first time I've thought about this, so maybe it's just DQVI's balance that is out of whack.

Seems balanced to me -- you just need to make better use of your arsenal of abilities. :) At the very least, &#12473;&#12463;&#12523;&#12488;, &#12501;&#12496;&#12540;&#12495;, and &#12510;&#12472;&#12483;&#12463;&#12496;&#12522;&#12450; are essential (for physical, fire/ice breath, and magic protection).

Bebpo

Banned
I don't have magic barrier yet. What does it do?

lead is 50% through magic warrior, kenjas are 50% through, superstar/battlemaster/paladin are 50% through. If I'm lucky I'll hit yuusha lvl.1 by the time I hit the final boss. Might not. Job system sucks if you don't grind jobs. I've explored everywhere in the game, gotten all the treasures, finished the style contest until rank 8, the slime tournaments until the last couple, etc...but my jobs are still really underdeveloped considering how far in the game I am.

At my level with my skills I don't see any way I could have lessened the castle's tornado attack from doing 90-100 damage per turn and making it a very tough battle that I barely survived.

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Sage gets Magic Barrier at lv7. Some armor reduces magic damage too.

Yeah, my two Kenja are lvl.4. Hopefully will get that before the final dungeon! Does that spell reduce magic damage for a bunch of rounds? Or is it for 1 magic attack and you have to recast it every round?

Red Scarlet

It's like the &#12473;&#12463;&#12523;&#12488; and &#12501;&#12496;&#12540;&#12495; spells, if they don't wear off after x number of rounds, it doesn't either. How many jobs have you mastered? Sounds like your level was a bit high so a bunch of fights didn't count? Dunno. Then there's also Hustle Dance, I got that ASAP and I'm sure that helped counter the damage.

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
It's like the &#12473;&#12463;&#12523;&#12488; and &#12501;&#12496;&#12540;&#12495; spells, if they don't wear off after x number of rounds, it doesn't either. How many jobs have you mastered? Sounds like your level was a bit high so a bunch of fights didn't count? Dunno.

Hero, senshi x 8, mahou tsukai x 8, mahou senshi x 5
Hassan, senshi x 8, budo x 8, battlemaster x 3
Asmos, senshi x 8, priest x 8, paladin x 3
Chamoro, mahou tsukai x 8, priest x 8, kenja x 4
Barbara, mahou tsukai x 8, priest x 8, kenja x 4
Mirelu, dancer x 8, asobinin x 8, superstar x 5

I don't think my level was ever too high. I've been gaining jobs at a regular pace since the start. I'm only a lvl.33 party now. I just haven't done any grinding. I guess I might grind before the final dungeon if I think I need it to pass the game.

It's kind of funny, because apparently I haven't fought enough battles. Yet one of my minor complaints about DQVI is how high the encounter rate has been. I've been fighting enemies like every 5 steps in dungeons. Especially annoying when trying to solve puzzles. I think when they made the game shorter (meaning less battles because less distance) they didn't adjust the amount of battles needed to level up in jobs to match it.

Red Scarlet

Well, folks have said that the dungeons and stuff are 'smaller' in the DS one, that could probably be the real issue. Much smaller dungeons means less fights, and going through the whole game with smaller dungeons will add up in fewer fights.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm in hazama and I have a couple questions:

1. During a battle Hassan got blown away out of the party. Uh, how do I get him back. I don't want to level my jobs without him getting the battles/xp. I checked my carriage and he's not there, went to the church and can't bring him back that way, slept in the inn and that didn't work.

2. I figure I should finally sit down for an hour or two and grind the 200-400 battles or so I need to reach yuusha. Is this a good place? Other than the enemies who BLOW MY PARTY MEMBERS AWAY the enemies seem pretty easy on the map. I figure if I set it to autobattle it should go pretty quick.

john tv

Bebpo said:
I'm in hazama and I have a couple questions:

1. During a battle Hassan got blown away out of the party. Uh, how do I get him back. I don't want to level my jobs without him getting the battles/xp. I checked my carriage and he's not there, went to the church and can't bring him back that way, slept in the inn and that didn't work.

2. I figure I should finally sit down for an hour or two and grind the 200-400 battles or so I need to reach yuusha. Is this a good place? Other than the enemies who BLOW MY PARTY MEMBERS AWAY the enemies seem pretty easy on the map. I figure if I set it to autobattle it should go pretty quick.
1. He's at Luida's. I hate that move in DQ games (always have) -- super annoying to have to trek back. FYI, there's a Luida's at the greed town.

2. If you want to earn a lot of EXP doing it, then the area right near the last dungeon (only after you've made the last dungeon appear) occasionally has metal kings. And you can just warp down to that well whenever you need to heal up. But those fights take a while, and you -def- won't kill any metal kings on auto-battle (best way to kill metal kings is to use the demon hammer trick kishgal mentioned, but even with that it still means they need to stick around for two turns).

If you just want to level up jobs ASAP, I suggest the beast tower in the dream world -- it's one of the easiest spots in the game that lets you raise jobs even at level 99. Slap it on auto, sit back, and power up fast (because the fights will take you like 1/5 as long as the fights in the hazama).

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks, yeah it was the first time I've actually been hit by it in a DQ game and I was like ummm, where did he go.... :lol

Bebpo

Banned
So I decided to finish out the game today. Fought the prison boss and damn that was HARD. Had to use the sands of time a few times because he'd kill a character or two in the first or 2nd round since they all attack and attack hard before my party got a single turn to heal and buff breath def/phys def. When I got a good start going and had my buffs up and everyone alive I took him down but he had SO MUCH HP. I was hitting him with 2 biokilted characters doing bakuratsuken and one doing a strong sword attack every round while 1 character healed. Took a lot of turns even with me doing that much constant damage. Felt like it should have been the final boss fight.

Afterwards I decided to grind out the rest of my battles to get my Yuusha and everyone else to rank 8 in their final jobs. I get the lead to rank 8 in his 2nd job and go to the dharma temple and...I don't have Yuusha? Uhhhh, at the start when I decided my job path (since you are set in stone basically once you start down a path since it takes so long to level) the job faq I read said the requirements for yuusha for the hero are just to master any 2nd generation job. What did I miss? If I did the wrong jobs I guess I will not have a yuusha for the final boss and I hope that doesn't make the game unwinnable.

Also, here is the point where someone convinces me why I should keep Superstar Mirelu or Kenja Barbara in my party for the final boss? Because after I died on the dungeon boss, I switched out Superstar Mirelu for Paladin Asmos who has higher HP and higher DEF and it was a lot easier! It seems that since 99% of skills in this game don't WORK on bosses, the only thing that matters for boss fights is how high your max HP is, what's your best attack and what's your best healing/def buff. Since my Paladin has all the best healing & defense buff spells & revive & high DEF & high HP...he seems more useful than a superstar! My party with Hero, Hassan, Chamoro, Asmos seems like Chamoro is my only weak link because of his low <200 max HP. He can die in 1 turn if multiple enemies attack him. But I need him in a job like Kenja with high MP because he needs to heal and help buff so I deal with it and hope he doesn't die. Barbara is just the same as Chamoro except less HP.

Honestly this game seems like if I had 4 battlemasters with 400-500hp and kenja no ishi, they'd stomp anything in the entire game. It really seems like max HP >>>>>>>>> * My Hassan with 480hp always fares much better than my hero at 280hp, asmos at 320hp, and chamoro at 170hp.

But since I just want to finish the game and I don't want to grind, I guess I will go into the final battle with my Hero (Mahou senshi), Hassan (Battlemaster), Chamoro (Kenja), Asmos (Paladin) all around lvl.33-37 unless I can figure out how to get Yuusha on my hero or why Mirelu's Superstar is better than someone in my party. Dungeons in the game have all been jokingly easy, and some bosses have been HARD and required multiple tries, they've all been winnable without grind or specific jobs, so hopefully I can just march in and beat the final boss without major problems.

Red Scarlet

According to the newest guide, the Hero needs one of these four mastered (everyone else needs all 4 of them): Battlemaster, Ranger, Sage and Superstar. I'm 3 battles away from mastering Sage.

Bebpo

Banned
So any of the 2nd gen jobs EXCEPT mahou senshi. Being a mahou senshi is the only way you can get screwed.

just my luck
I had thought mahou senshi would be a cool job to have for him. Master of sword, master of magic! But instead he doesn't have bakuretsuken so he's my weakest attacker, his HP & DEF are kind of low, and he doesn't have any great healing. So in other words he is a jack of all trades, master of none and a useless character.

Oh well, hope it's not important for the final boss fight. That's what I get for not following a faq on exactly what jobs to use and instead actually trying to have fun and experiment on my own about which jobs to give to whom.

I hate the job system so much in this game. Useless skills, useless characters, paths set in stone, ugh. Gameplay-wise this is definitely the poorest DQ of the 4-6 trilogy and as much as I dislike IX, I'd have to flip a coin to see which I preferred gameplay-wise at this point. Though VI story-wise >>>>>>>>>>>> IX.

Red Scarlet

I don't know if the DS manual has it that way, but in the SFC manual, it lists the job requirements for every job except Hero, which is just '????'.

Paladin is a tier 2 job too, so I guess Paladin and Magic Knight are the 'bad' ones for Hero. The Hero abilities don't really look all that great.

john tv

Red Scarlet said:
I don't know if the DS manual has it that way, but in the SFC manual, it lists the job requirements for every job except Hero, which is just '????'.

Paladin is a tier 2 job too, so I guess Paladin and Magic Knight are the 'bad' ones for Hero. The Hero abilities don't really look all that great.
In the DS one, that info is in the game (you get it from one of the nuns at Dharma). It doesn't specify which jobs are necessary for Hero tho. But yeah, it's not "any" second tier job, but rather any of the following: Battlemaster, Sage, Superstar, Ranger

Red Scarlet

Bebpo said:
That's what I get for not following a faq on exactly what jobs to use and instead actually trying to have fun and experiment on my own about which jobs to give to whom.

AFAIK it is more of the 'secret bonus job' than anything. It's the one job the game manual doesn't tell you how to get. You shouldn't expect to 'fall into it' on your own or maybe not even get it your first time playing.

I can confirm Sage on the main character can get him the Hero job on the original version though:

bebhero.png

I don't really see more than 2 abilities being used, but then again I'm not level 1-ing the last boss (which uses Astron/Ironize).

Hustle Dance may help (Hustle Dance + Sage Stone on final boss).

Bebpo

Banned
Got to the final boss. Fought him 3 times until I finally just barely beat his 2nd form after a fight that had lasted 45 mins long from the beginning of the first form. Was ready to put the game away.

But there's a 3rd form. Once it appeared I knew this would be the first rpg in 20 years, probably first out of 200+ rpgs I've beaten that I will have gotten to the final boss and not finish the game. I'm done.

I'm not doing that fight again. I will youtube the ending and shelve the game. I'm ok with bosses have a bunch of forms, but with the amount of time it takes to defeat the first & 2nd form, to have a 3rd form is pretty ridiculous. By the time the 3rd form appeared all my characters had <20 mp left, no items left, and the best I could do is heal 100 across the party per round with the sage stone. The first 2 forms had been such long drawn out fights that I had nothing left and was on my last legs only for a GIANT boss to appear.

Oh and the first round the 3rd form had it killed my hero who had the sage stone & put my healer chamoro to sleep. So I had absolutely no way to heal. 3 rounds went by with all 3 remaining characters taking damage while chamoro kept sleeping and no one could heal or revive the hero. So they all died.

Also if I want to try the boss again, I've now used all my 1 time use SAVE FOR LAST BOSS items. I could just use my previous save before I started the final dungeon where my party was 3-4 levels lower. But I really don't feel like doing that whole dungeon again either.

I dunno if having a yuusha would have helped, or being at higher levels than 37-39. But I waste the entire night already on this dungeon + boss. Really annoying.

Bebpo

Banned
I checked all the faqs and they all say I need a high ranking yuusha to beat the final boss because in order to NOT take 30 mins to beat his 2nd form while draining all your resources you need the skill that cancels any buffs the boss puts on himself since he puts bikilt & skura in his 2nd form which is what makes the battle take forever. Rukani doesn't work and there's no spell to drop his attack power.

In order for me to get a yuusha I would need to get:
-Budo from rank 1-8
-Battlemaster from rank 1-8
-Yuusha rank 1-whatever gets me the spell I need

That's pretty much an entire game worth of job leveling. So I'd guess 10-20 hours of grinding 500-1000 battles. Just to get the satisfaction of beating the boss. Ugh.

If anyone can tell me a way to beat the final boss without a yuusha and with only the jobs I have right now (mahou senshi, battlemaster, paladin, 2 kenja, superstar) I'll keep trying the boss. I'm willing to retry in games where I just need a better strategy, but I'm unwilling to grind because I hate grinding.

Red Scarlet

You could do either the Battlemaster route or the Sage route, but the Sage one is probably more battles. I had 2 Hustle Dancers when I fought the boss and they kept using that to keep folks healthy. I also had Dorango in my party, where one of his dragon breath things would do like 300 dmg to every enemy and cost no mp.

Hero learns the 'icy pulse' thing at lv2.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, but I'm not going to grind jobs. I'm trying to figure out what is the best job I can have the hero in for now stat-wise. Right now I put him in senshi because it had the highest HP+def but then my MP is low, so maybe I'll stick with mahou senshi.

I've got a plan where I can get to the third form pretty quick by hassan using bikilt + kiaitame + seikenzuki for 500 damage per hit while the other 3 heal with sage stone + hussle dance + buffing.

But form 3 is really annoying. He keeps putting people to SLEEP first round. This time he put hassan to sleep so I had no one to do damage. Then he hits really hard and kills everyone in a round or two.

Another problem I have is how are you supposed to get to the final boss with all your party at full HP/MP? It's a long dungeon and just doing mantan for healing after each battle eats away at your support character's MP which sucks for the final boss when you need to switch them in and they have no MP.

I'm afraid to use any items on the fight because if I die I want to keep the levels I've gained during the dungeon run.

Asmos as a Paladin sucks. I finally got grand cross and it's nice except his max MP is super low.

Bebpo

Banned
I have a plan: I'm going to get seikenzuki for the hero. I only need about 30-40 more battles as budokei to hit rank 6 and get that. Meanwhile I will get kiaitame for Asmos.

This way I will have THREE characters with bikilt + kiaitame + seikenzuki. This means if at least 2 can be doing that I should be able to take out the 2nd form quickly and take out the hands on the 3rd form quickly. Then I can just do bakuratsuken with Hassan & Asmos and have the hero do some sort of wimpy slash when he's not using the sage stone.

This might work.

Red Scarlet

Bebpo said:
Yeah, but I'm not going to grind jobs. I'm trying to figure out what is the best job I can have the hero in for now stat-wise. Right now I put him in senshi because it had the highest HP+def but then my MP is low, so maybe I'll stick with mahou senshi.

I've got a plan where I can get to the third form pretty quick by hassan using bikilt + kiaitame + seikenzuki for 500 damage per hit while the other 3 heal with sage stone + hussle dance + buffing.

But form 3 is really annoying. He keeps putting people to SLEEP first round. This time he put hassan to sleep so I had no one to do damage. Then he hits really hard and kills everyone in a round or two.

Another problem I have is how are you supposed to get to the final boss with all your party at full HP/MP? It's a long dungeon and just doing mantan for healing after each battle eats away at your support character's MP which sucks for the final boss when you need to switch them in and they have no MP.

I'm afraid to use any items on the fight because if I die I want to keep the levels I've gained during the dungeon run.

Asmos as a Paladin sucks. I finally got grand cross and it's nice except his max MP is super low.

Spam Hustle Dance/Sage Stone to heal in battle to preserve MP probably. I was gonna say cast zameha to wake people up, but that spell isn't in the game. Nor can you smack your party members to wake them up in 6. I don't know how I wake them up in the game now that I think about it.

edit: remember that if the boss does the icy pulse thing, that dissolves bikilt/charging up.

Bebpo

Banned
Is it ok if I change mirelu from superstar to something else now that she's learned all the superstar spells? The stats for the job aren't anything special and it's not like any of her spells use MP. If I change her to a budoke she gets faster, higher HP and better def. Any drawbacks?

Red Scarlet

Not if you use her magic. Hustle Dance will heal the same amount whatever your job is (~80 to everyone, it's basically a Sage Stone).

If you aren't using Barbara, you may as well have her cast Madante on some part of the boss too.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't use her magic. All she does is spam hustle dance.

And yeah I want to get Barbara in for madante. I tried that last time but she died in 1 hit before pulling the move off :( Her def & hp are so low, almost any hit from the final boss will instantly kill her.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok beat it. Ended up unlocking dragon class for the hero after I got seikenzuki so I used that since it upped his hp from 250 -> 450 going from mahou senhi to it. Party was up to lvl.40 by this point.

I went in and was very careful not to use any MP until the boss.

1st form:
Chamoro - fubaba to lower damage on magics
Amos - sage stone
Hero - bikilt on hassan
Hassan - bakuretsuken

then switched mirelu in for chamoro and had her hustle every round along with amos sage stoning. Wasn't too bad, but it wasn't bad before either.

2nd form:
Mirelu - hustle
amos - bikilt -> kiaitame -> seikenzuki
hero - bikilt -> kiatame -> seikenzuki
hassan - bikilt -> kiatame -> seikenzuki

Did about 2000 damage on the turns all 3 attacked. Killed him in 2 attack sets. Nice.

3rd form:
mirelu - hustle
amos - sage
hero - kiatame -> seikenzuki on left hand
hassan - kiatame -> seikenzuki on right hand

THE FAQ SAID ONLY HIS LEFT HAND COULD REVIVE. So I killed his left hand AND THEN HIS RIGHT HAND REVIVED IT and things went bad. I thought "damn, I must have read the wrong hand. Well there's 15 mins of battle down the drain, but I better use the sands of time" so I reset the battle.

1st form: repeat
2nd form: repeat
3rd form: repeat on the right hand this time instead

I bring in Barbara and have her do her ultimate attack and it does...500 damage to each part? Weird, I heard it was supposed to be amazingly powerful on this fight.

Anyhow I kill the right hand AND THEN HIS LEFT HAND REVIVES IT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. This was like DOOM FACE. I double checked the SFC faqs and in the original only ONE HAND REVIVES, but with my own eyes I have now seen that in the DS version BOTH HANDS REVIVE so you have to kill them at the same time.

Things go bad but not as bad as last time so while I keep going even with the hand revived and boss at full life again. I fight and try to switch back and forth between which hand I'm attacking. After a few rounds one hand dies but the other doesn't and I go >____<. So now it's DO OR DIE. I do the speed attack with my hero that gets 1st attack always, and I have hassan & amos do sutemi since they get 1st attack. So now I'm guaranteed 3 attacks on the remaining hand before it gets a turn. If my attacks don't kill it, the hand will revive the other hand and two of my characters now have 1/2 def for this round. THE ATTACKS KILL IT. OMGGGGGGGGGG YESSSSSSSSSSS.

I take some damage from the face because of the two who did sutemi, but no one dies. At this point the face can't really do much. mirelu hustles and the rest just punch the face to oblivion and GAME IS WON. YESS

5 hours of this boss in my face. GRRR. Watching ending now.

john tv

I noticed that about the hands too. Fortunately even though it tried two or three times, the right hand's revive attempts didn't work.

Bebpo you should force yourself to wait an hour before you ever hit the "Post" button. I bet you'd erase like 50% of your posts if you did. :p

Top Bottom