• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime is overwhelming, where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help choosing a new series to watch! I've only seen three anime series: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Fullmetal Alchemist

What are some good recommendations that I would like? I don't really have many preferences on the setting, just a great story

Dresden

Baccano

Mononoke

Two best series of the last five or so years. You can find Baccano on Hulu or Youtube, and Mononoke... err, go find a place to download it. Well worth it though.

Just recently saw it with a friend, but I liked Baccano a lot. It's got a sense of humor, it doesn't drag on for an obscene amount of episodes if your time is limited, it's about mobsters, and it gets pretty bloody violent. :D

Edit: Double drat, Dresden!

Swag

I recommend Honey & Clover if you like Romance Dramas, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu if you like comedy, and Code Geass if you like Action Thrillers

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Since you have a few, finish off the Adult Swim line up with Big-O

Then watch Gurren Lagann, (Maybe Code Geass), and Death Note, I guess.

Don't watch stuff currently ongoing though.

pirata

1gankut.jpg

What do you get when you cross the classic adventure novel "The Count of Monte Cristo," set it 3000 years into the future, and give the animators loads and loads of drugs? You get one of the most awesome shows of all time, that's what. If that doesn't convince you, watch the trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1oBOSX4co

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
baccanno
haiane renmei
kino's journey
Black Lagoon
Hellsing ultimate
spice and wolf
Magical Girl lyrical Nanoha
Magical Girl lyrical Nanohas A's
Magical Girl lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
assorted moe.

Swag

Pandaman said:
baccanno
haiane renmei
kino's journey
Black Lagoon
Hellsing ultimate
spice and wolf
Magical Girl lyrical Nanoha
Magical Girl lyrical Nanohas A's
Magical Girl lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
assorted moe.

The urge to tag quote is just unbearable

Wow, given those are usually the first three I would recommend to new viewers, you've made some good choices thus far, lol. Hmm, what else is good? I personally enjoy the hell out of Gintama, but that's the type of show you either love or hate. It's not super story driven, though, most episodes can stand on their own as far as narrative goes, so it's probably not the best if you're looking for a deep story. That said, it's freaking awesome and I fully endorse it.

Recent stuff that's pretty good is Darker Than Black, or at least season 1 was good. Great story, awesome action. I like how it doesn't beat you over the head with the details of what's happening, either.

Oh, there's also Hellsing, it's great and also pretty short. At this point you'd probably be better off checking out Hellsing Ultimate, since it's the more faithful adaptation, and is just better in general.

Samurai Champloo is great as well, and it's from the same guy that directed(?) Cowboy Bebop, so there are a lot of similarities in the direction, if not the setting.

One Piece is definitely one of my favorites, but that's also almost 440 episodes deep and still going. Plus it's super shounen, which you may not be into. Sometimes I enjoy a good fun anime, though.

Of course there are a bunch of other great ones too, these are just the ones that are right at the top of my head.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't watch a whole lot of anime, but Black Lagoon is awesome.

Also Chi's Sweet Home/Chi's New Address if you like kitties.

And no, I don't think I could have possibly picked two shows that were more polar opposites.

Vision of Escaflowne is an easy show to get into, and a classic at that. Along with Trigun, they were the two shows that really got me interested in anime.

As for other suggestions:

Baccano

If Tarantino were to make an anime, I would think it'd be something like this. There are multiple non-linear stories, sudden bursts of intense violence, and quite a bit of humor. The characters range from immortal alchemists to gangsters. Also, the Japanese voice actor for Vash from Trigun has a role in this show as one of the two characters that provide comic relief.

Great Teacher Onizuka

This show sounds kind of stupid (it's about an ex-gang member and general felon who desires to be the greatest teacher in Japan,) but it's really rather funny and the show supports an enormous cast of characters that all get fleshed out over the course of the show. Basically the main character, Onizuka, interacts with the students in his class and tries to make school fun for them in a way that teachers neglected to for him.

Time of Eve

This is a very short show (6 15-minute episodes) but it's exceptionally well done. From an animation studio run by a handful of people, Time of Eve takes place in the future when robots are part of everyday life. They follow Asimov's 3 Rules of Robotics, and the entire show is about a cafe where both robots and humans keep their identity secret. (Every other place in the world robots are required to have a halo above their head to show they aren't human.)

Planetes

In the year 2070, following a group of trash collectors in space, this show tries to accurately portray how it is that humans would expand into space, and the psychological effect that life in space has on an individual.

Now, my favorite anime happens to be RahXephon, but as far as introductory shows go, that's not a very good choice. If you've heard of Neon Genesis Evangelion (which I haven't seen,) they're often compared, but if you are up for a real mind-bender, I guess you could try RahXephon. The plot is more or less about a young man named Ayato who finds out that the world (Tokyo) was a different dimension separated from the rest of the world. He has to deal with this, along with his ability to pilot the robot Xephon which has the power to tune the world and make it anew. From there the plot is carried along by character development, and that's what makes the show so good. Although there is token robot fighting, it only serves as an environment for Ayato to grow as a character, and not to serve as excitement.

pirata

GDGF said:
That looks really really cool.
Oh, trust me, it is. I would pay good money for it on Blu-Ray. Oh, and in case you were wondering, the music is awesome, the Count is voiced by the same VA that was Alucard in Hellsing, and it only lasts 24 episodes. Just thought that y'all'd like to know.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far! Now I gotta sort through some of these suggestions and see what looks most interesting

Are most of these series around 26 episodes?

ckohler

Came here to recommend Macross Plus but was beaten.
It's a good gateway anime because the story isn't cultural.

Scuba Steve said:
Thanks for all the recommendations so far! Now I gotta sort through some of these suggestions and see what looks most interesting

Most of the ones I recognize are. Some are shorter though, like Baccano, Mononoke or Kino's Journey which are a half-season, or 13 episodes.

Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex
Haibanei Renmei
Escaflowne
The Big O
Last Exile
Paranoia Agent
Noein: To Your Other Self
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Macross Plus
Witch Hunter Robin
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Fooly Cooly

Darkman M

Scuba Steve said:

Gungrave & Berserk are at least. You really should check out gungrave if you like cowboy beebop.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kilgore Trout said:
Time of Eve

This is a very short show (6 15-minute episodes) but it's exceptionally well done. From an animation studio run by a handful of people, Time of Eve takes place in the future when robots are part of everyday life. They follow Asimov's 3 Rules of Robotics, and the entire show is about a cafe where both robots and humans keep their identity secret. (Every other place in the world robots are required to have a halo above their head to show they aren't human.)
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

RobertM

Gungrave
20h0wft.jpg

The picture is a bit deceiving. It's about 2 childhood friends joining the Mafia and rising through the ranks. A story of betrayal, greed, sacrifice, honor, and friendship. There are some supernatural elements toward the end, hence the cowboy looking guy with huge guns, but overall it's great to observe how greed and power can twist a human.

Gurren Lagann
339otjc.jpg

I call it "the feel awesome anime". RAW RAW FIGHT THE POWA.

If you like anything with philosophical inclination, I would suggest the following: Death Note, Code Geass, Evangelion, Gankutsuou, Ergo Proxy.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
EschatonDX said:
hajime no ippo yeah yeah yeah
I fucking <3 you right now.

Edit: All great suggestions already. Watch all of them.
Also if you're into Fighting anime and don't mind some nudity(i think) watch Tenjou Tenge. The animation in some of the fight scenes are some of the best imo.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Drama:
Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey
Gankutsuou

Action:
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano
Last Exile
Black Lagoon

Mech/Giant Robots:
Gurren Lagann
Giant Robo
Macross Zero

Romance:
Nodame Cantabile
Allison and Lillia
Saikano
Toradora

Comedy:
Ouran High School Host Club
Martian Sucessor Nadessico
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu

Fantasy:
Scrapped Princess
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Escaflowne

DEATH NOTE

it's a pretty good series, and isn't too long, about 37 episodes I think?

and it has some live action movies which imo are done pretty well.

ch ch ch ch check it.

Scarecrow

I don't watch much anime, but I went through Gurren Lagann over the summer, and it was pretty bad ass. Give it a shot.

Pappasman

Everything has been said already but I'll keep it simple and say Neon Genesis Evangelion and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Edit: death note gets a lot of shit from people but it's a great gateway show.

Also Eden of the East is really awesome as well.

RadioHeadAche said:
Paranoia Agent is interesting.

Paranoia Agent is a favorite, though that may also be because I'm a fan of collections of short stories that have those little connections to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom