• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime is overwhelming, where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chojin

Robotech and then stop.

But if you must go on Captain Tylor.

Then stop. Just stop. Anime sucks. Don't end up 30 years old and bitter and tired. I haven't been able to watch anime in like 8 years now.

Wait someone said GTO. Thats good too.

chase

Now and Then, Here and There. While on top of a smoke stack in an industrial park, the main protagonist Shūzo "Shu" Matsutani is transported to another world after attempting to defend an unknown girl, Lala-Ru. Lala-Ru possesses a pendant containing (somehow) a vast reservoir of water and she has the ability to control that water.

In this new world, Shu is beaten and interrogated. He is forced to join an army of children and pillage in search of water. He wishes to return home and also find the mysterious girl whom he tried to protect.

Much of the series deals with serious moral issues relating to war, the consequences of war, rape, democide, human brutality and the exploitation of children.

Hajime No Ippo. Feel-great boxing anime. Seriously, if you're having a down day, watching an episode (or 3) of this is sure to lighten your mood.

Monster. Surgeon is framed for a murder and has to go on the run, trying to solve the mystery and clear his name.

Kino's Journey. In Kino's Journey, the protagonist, Kino, accompanied by a talking motorcycle, a Brough Superior motorcycle named Hermes, travels through a mystical world of many different countries and forests, each unique in its customs and people. A phrase repeated in the anime and novels is "The world is not beautiful, therefore it is." Kino's Journey explores what the anime director Ryutaro Nakamura described as "a radical sense of 'beauty," and brutality, loneliness, nonsense, oppression and tragedy are often juxtaposed against compassion and a fairy-tale atmosphere.

Arment

the_gr8mitypoo said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion. There is nothing greater.

Make sure you watch the movie. They say it was made to give the ending a bit more of a solid feel, but its a total mindfuck.

If you liked Full Metal Alchemist, then you'll love Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood! It's kind of the same thing, only so much better. :D

Also, TTGL and Hajime No Ippo are both amazing.

+1 for Monster. This is such an enjoyable mystery/thriller with so many twists and turns its insane. Its part doctor show, part mystery. So many twists and turns and many interesting (tormented and fucked up) characters. I am not sure if I like exactly how it ended, but the journey itself was like no other. Highly recommended!

Chojin said:
Robotech and then stop.

Then stop. Just stop. Anime sucks. Don't end up 30 years old and bitter and tired. I haven't been able to watch anime in like 8 years now.

Oh stop with the "Anime Suck" talk. just like any other medium, there some great anime and some bad. And the ratio of Good to bad isn't any more skewed them Movies, Books, or Music.

Linkhero1

-Mikey- said:
Almost. Just don't watch the last 2 episodes and you'll be fine.
I didn't like it at all. I thought it was ok in the beginning but I got bored somewhere in the middle and the last two episodes were wtf to me. I thought I was going crazy D:

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1 & 2 (series)
Akira
Cowboy Bebop
Great Teacher Onizuka
Patlabor 1 (movie)
Patlabor 2 (movie) – this is a must see, it's brilliant.

There you go! After that, you don't really want to watch any more anime. Most of the other stuff is crap.

Arment said:
Make sure you watch the movie. They say it was made to give the ending a bit more of a solid feel, but its a total mindfuck.

End of Evangelion is a bizarre and entertaining movie. I sold my Evangelion boxed set long ago, but I decided to hold onto EoE because it's just so awesome (and it's not worth much).

Gantz is also a pretty awesome show IMO. I know some people hate it, because of the changes from the Manga concerning the ending I am guessing. Anyway its about these 2 guys who die and get transported to a strange room. In this room the two men and some other people who have recently died are given weapons by a strange "man in an orb" called Gantz, to then do battle with whatever targets he wants you to. If the people earn points by fighting, they can live another day. If they are defeated they are dead for good.

It all feels like a videogame too, and is entertaining mostly because the things they have to fight for points are often ridiculously powerful. Really funny, dramatic, and full of tons of action. It runs at like 26 episodes.

remz

I'm gonna say

Great Teacher Onizuka
Death Note
Code Geass
Black Lagoon
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
FLCL/Fooly Cooly
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Baccano!
Akira
Ghost In The Shell (all things related to it)
Darker Than Black Season 1
Hellsing

and Samurai Champloo is like Bebop with hip hop and samurai

Apath

Pretty much what everyone else has said. For comedy though, Genshiken is pretty fantastic.

This is the story of college freshman Kanji Sasahara and his fellow members of the college club he joins, The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture (aka Genshiken), as he goes shopping for doujinshi, attends conventions and slowly but surely makes his way down the road to fandom.

Genres: comedy, slice of life, otaku culture.

Probably not a good show if you're just getting into ANIMU, but definitely something to take note of for down the line.

the_gr8mitypoo

Neo Member
Ballistictiger said:
Don't start with Neon Genesis Evangelion seriously. Start with something lighthearted like Fooly Cooly.
It was the first anime I ever watched. That being said you're right, it really isn't a good starting point but do watch it at some point. Its a work of sheer brilliance in my mind.

I never understood the flak the last two episodes got, it's defiantly a complete 180 but the message was great. And anyways End of Evangelion will provide a more than suitable ending to the series if episodes 25 & 26 don't.

KevinCow

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
There you go! After that, you don't really want to watch any more anime. Most of the other stuff is crap.

Most of everything is crap. Even if you want to argue that the percentage of anime that's crap is larger than many other things (an argument that would certainly hold some merit), there's still more then five anime shows and movies worth watching.

Chojin

Trailblaster said:
Oh stop with the "Anime Suck" talk. just like any other medium, there some great anime and some bad. And the ratio of Good to bad isn't any more skewed them Movies, Books, or Music.

Testy Testes

33xznzm.jpg

That be me.

Anime doesn't suck. Fans like us do :p

Simma down.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Why don't you watch some of the popular anime favorites such as berserk, evangelion, samurai champloo, robotech / macross, FLCL, eureka seven. It's what i moved on to, after i watched the series you listed.

Also anything by studio ghibli with the exception of tales of earthsea and pom poko.

Edit. And if you have the dedication, watch the best anime of all time - Legend of galactic heroes, 110-episodes of pure space opera awesomeness.:D

Chojin said:
Robotech and then stop.

Robotech and captain tylor aren't the only good animus of that specific genre, you are missing out on a lot of good stuff, because of your ignorance.

Chojin

Lafiel said:
Why don't you watch some of the popular anime favorites such as berserk, evangelion, samurai champloo, robotech / macross, FLCL, eureka seven. It's what i moved on to, after i watched the series you listed.

Also anything by studio ghibli with the exception of tales of earthsea and pom poko.

Robotech and captain tylor aren't the only good animus of that specific genre, you are missing out on a lot of good stuff, because of your ignorance.

Oh shit, I totally forgot about Exuberant Sea Cucumber Bash Ex =\

Learn me some stuff

/me opens mindcheeks

Kritz

Banned
Scuba Steve said:
I need help choosing a new series to watch! I've only seen three anime series: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Fullmetal Alchemist

What are some good recommendations that I would like? I don't really have many preferences on the setting, just a great story

Those were my first three anime too, in the order you listed.

FLCL doesn't have much of a story, but it doesn't nee done. Six episodes long, you honestly shouldn't avoid watching it.

Death Note has a really interesting story for the first half, and the second half is pretty shit but it's worth riding through just for the sake of seeing what happens.

Baccano!! has a pulp fictiony story going on between multiple characters in multiple points in time. The only newish piece of anime I've enjoyed.

I personally didn't care much for Gurren Lagann, but if you're into... what I assume is a parody series, you'll probably enjoy it.

Samurai Champloo is Cowboy Bebop with swords.

I'm not exactly experienced with anime, but those are the series that I've really enjoyed. I've been meaning to head down to JB HiFi to pick up something NEW AND EXCITING, but anime is generally too expensive for me to test the waters with, as I get turned off by a lot of its tropes. BUT WHATEVER, I GUESS?

Salazar

Kritz said:
I'm not exactly experienced with anime, but those are the series that I've really enjoyed. I've been meaning to head down to JB HiFi to pick up something NEW AND EXCITING, but anime is generally too expensive for me to test the waters with, as I get turned off by a lot of its tropes. BUT WHATEVER, I GUESS?

Hit your public library. Mine, in Queensland, has an exceptional stock of anime across different branches.

Apath

Kritz said:
Samurai Champloo is Cowboy Bebop with swords.
I've never seen this. While there are similarities, episodes play out in a different fashion and the plot is more constant. Characters and the story telling is also done a little differently.

Liking Cowboy Bebop doesn't mean you'll like Samurai Champloo and vice versa.

itsinmyveins

KevinCow said:
Most of everything is crap. Even if you want to argue that the percentage of anime that's crap is larger than many other things (an argument that would certainly hold some merit), there's still more then five anime shows and movies worth watching.

It's like with J-RPG:s – there are more than five good ones, but you shouldn't really put yourself through more than that ;)

Unless it's Patlabor 2, the movie. That one you need to see.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
It's like with J-RPG:s – there are more than five good ones, but you shouldn't really put yourself through more than that ;)

I'll take your word for Patlabor 2 and I will watch it today... It's better be great.

Salazar

I'll also give credit, here, for Michael Keaton's work in the English dub of Porco Rosso. Amazing film, and one of the best voice performances I've heard.

Kritz

Banned
Kenak said:
I've never seen this. While there are similarities, episodes play out in a different fashion and the plot is more constant. Characters and the story telling is also done a little differently.

Liking Cowboy Bebop doesn't mean you'll like Samurai Champloo and vice versa.

Well, sure. You might not like swords. I can understand that.

itsinmyveins

Fuzz Rez said:
I'll take your word for Patlabor 2 and I will watch it today... It's better be great.

Yeah, don't expect something over the top and hysterical though. It's a rather slow paced political thriller. Took me a viewing or two before I really started liking it. So give it time to sink in.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Yeah, don't expect something over the top and hysterical top. It's a rather slow paced political thriller. Took me a viewing or two before I really started liking it. So give it time to sink in.

I didn't see any super colorful, sword-yielding, laser beam shooting mechs in the trailer so, so far it's good in my books. Only thing that has kept me out from Mech series/movies is usually "over topness" of the shows.

Right, once and for all - can somebody please explain the love that FLCL gets??

I watched it and while I consider myself to fairly bright and generally into off-the-wall stuff, FLCL just came off as the result of a slightly reatrded and hyperactive child's mind with zero coherence.

itsinmyveins

Fuzz Rez said:
I didn't see any super colorful, sword-yielding, laser beam shooting mechs in the trailer so, so far it's good in my books. Only thing that has kept out me from Mech series/movies is usually "over topness" of the shows.

There's hardly any action sequences at all in Patlabor 2. It starts with one and there's one near the end, but that's about it really.

Kritz

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Can somebody please explain the love that FLCL gets?

It's a childish, slightly retarded and hyperactive show with zero coherence.

That was my draw to it, at least. :\

ItsInMyVeins said:

Great recommendation. Patlabor 2 is sooooo good. I think I have seen the damn thing like 5 times and still find new things and understanding of what happened. Its probably one of the deepest and moodiest anime's I have ever seen. And you don't even need to see an episode of the show to appreciate it, although it helps.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
There's hardly any action sequences at all in Patlabor 2. It starts with one and there's one near the end, but that's about it really.

Read few reviews about it and it seems to be right up my alley. How are the other Patlabor movies/series ? I just called to my local movie divar and they had 1&2 on BD so I might pick up both of 'em.

itsinmyveins

Fuzz Rez said:
Read few reviews about it and it seems to be right up my alley. How are the other Patlabor movies/series ? I just called to my local movie divar and they had 1&2 on BD so I might pick up both of 'em.

The series is a bit more like typical anime, although it's enjoyable. The first Patlabor movie is definitely good, but not on par with Patlabor 2. Just like the series, it's a bit more "anime" but not quite as much. Then there's Patlabor: WXIII, the latest one. I guess it's alright. It's like a Patlabor take on The Host, a korean monster movie which is pretty good.

EDIT: Just realized that WXIII came out before The Host.

KevinCow

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Right, once and for all - can somebody please explain the love that FLCL gets??

I watched it and while I consider myself to fairly bright and generally into off-the-wall stuff, FLCL just came off as the result of a slightly reatrded and hyperactive child's mind with zero coherence.

It's a show designed specifically to appeal to people who will type something like "ZOMG SO RANDOM XD LOL!!!!" with zero irony.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Oh, and for the OP, here is my TOP 5 animes (at the moment) and I think it's a pretty solid list. Try to check them out.

Kimagure Orange Road.
ezpy1d.jpg

Galaxy Express 999
2rh4en9.jpg

Slam Dunk.
2z819aq.jpg

Maison Ikkoku,
2zqt0zk.jpg

City Hunter
2hziu83.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
KevinCow said:
It's a show designed specifically to appeal to people who will type something like "ZOMG SO RANDOM XD LOL!!!!" with zero irony.
Nope, FLCL has a pretty coherent storyline, it's more than random craziness.

DarkJC

Lafiel said:
Nope, FLCL has a pretty coherent storyline, it's more than random craziness.

Great animation, 6 episodes packed full of awesome, plenty of rewatch value. Definitely one of my favourites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom