• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's next gen strategy: Why getting on par with Xbox 360 soon is the way to go

Chittagong

Gold Member
The chatter about Nintendo's next generation console and handheld is starting to get louder as Wii has been 3 years in the market and HD penetration is increasing.

5 years ago, before the Wiimote was unveiled or anything about the console was really known, I wrote a piece on my thinking about Nintendo's approach for the upcoming generation. This is a similar piece, for the next generation.

Now, 5 years later, the game has changed. Let's take at the assumptions for the new round.

BASIC ASSUMPTIONS

- Nintendo is the undisputed market leader with Wii
- Sony and Microsoft will never catch up in this generation
- Sony and Microsoft are both introducing motion controllers, which will commit them to their current consoles for the next 2-3 years. This means their new consoles can be expected in 2012-2013
- Xbox 360 generation technology has come down in cost so that a $249 console can be profitable
- Nintendo wants to be profitable on hardware

Nintendo has been extraordinarily quiet about their next plans, seeing how the competition jumped on their motion controller idea. So this time we have less "Iwata hints" about their direction.

NINTENDO QUOTES

Nintendo's latest earnings Q/A (thanks swerve) gives some hints of the future, however:

Genyo Takeda (General Manager said:
:
Since our division has been reviewing and developing a number of hardware, we are looking into many different things, including HD and SD. Also included is the review over the systems with which the creators can easily create video games with limited budget and resources. However, we have not come to the stage where we can announce which is the most appropriate means. Since an increasing number of the TV sets at home around the world are becoming HD today, it will be natural for a machine to be able to generate graphics that people will be accustomed to see on HD televisions. Since the ordinary TV programs are now shifting to HD, moving to HD appears to me a natural flow.

Shigeru Miyamoto (General Manager said:
As long as my way of making games are concerned, all I am concerned about technologies is, we probably cannot swim against the tide. The customers' tastes will become more and more refined. Even today, many customers who have seen HD once say they cannot go back to SD.

The developers should choose the most appropriate graphical format depending on the software they make. To Nintendo, our theme is how we can prepare the SDK library to cater to the needs of the developers, with which the developers can more easily develop their games. In fact, Nintendo has been working with such mission.

This would be my take on what's going on:

SCENARIO ANALYSIS

My thinking is that Nintendo always plays these situations with scenarios. Picking the one most likely to give them sustained profit.

A. What would happen if Nintendo would launch before PS4/720?

+ Can offer graphics that consumers consider impressive at a low pricepoint
+ Driven by maturity of 5 year old Xbox 360 level architecture
+ Capturing current brand equity while its hot
=> Low Risk / Predictable Outcome.

B. What would happen if Nintendo would launch at the same time as PS4/720??

- Need to either 1) Match PS4/720 spec OR 2) come up with an innovation of Wiimote grade
- Wiimote is a once a decade innovation like iPhone (see iPhone UI -> iPad UI)
- Matching PS4/720 spec at launch is going to be prohibitively expensive to Nintendo
=> Very high risk / High cost / Unpredictable outcome

C. What would happen if Nintendo would launch after PS4/720??
- Same downsides as in scenario B, plus
- Must be even more innovative than in Scenario B as the "late comer"
- Massive brand erosion to Wii as PS4/720 will match Wii controller and improve on Wii graphics 100x
- Leads to disappointed users and drop in brand equity
=> High Risk / Moderate Cost / Unpredictable outcome

STRATEGY CORNERSTONES

Nintendo is facing an inconvenient "binary break"
• Wii technology doesn't scale any further - it was a one-off "get out of jail card"
• Wii put Nintendo a generation behind in technology, and somehow it needs to catch up
• Catching up at the beginning of the generation is very expensive - mid generation it's cheap

Wii is leading on mindshare, controls and mass adoption
• Nintendo does not need to introduce new controller schemes
• Nintendo does not need to change the terms of the game, the game is favourable
• Nintendo can afford to compete in the terms of the market

Wii is losing in 3rd party support
• PS3 and Xbox 360 games can't be ported to Wii due to it's outdated architecture
• Publishers find creating a specific Wii version too cumbersome and unprofitable
• Market has largely rejected "watered down" versions of games on Wii (e.g. Dead Space)

Commonalities bring economies of scale to 3rd party development
• Nintendo needs to support common development pipeline to get no-brainer ports
• Xbox 360 and PS3 getting motion controllers opens up a chance for common cross platform motion titles[/B]
• Especially PS3 Gem and Wiimote are similar in terms of interface
• Classic Controller can support all PS3 and Xbox 360 games

Making a Wii comparable with the power of Xbox 360 is the best of all worlds
• Wii continues its stronghold on the casual market
• With all the big 3rd big party games on board, it becomes the "no brainer platform"
• Starting from scratch, Nintendo can make the device much more cost efficient than Microsoft - just like GameCube was comparable to Xbox but considerably more cost efficient

This is the perfect time to attack
• Microsoft and Sony are distracted with their motion controller initiatives, however futile they may be
• Before the beginning of their next generation, Nintendo can make a huge dent to their current market on their technology
• Once Sony and Microsoft come out with new consoles, they will be - again - too powerful and expensive to mass market, so Nintendo can afford to catch up later
• Consumers adoption of HD is hitting 50%

PRODUCT OUTCOME

Here is how I would play my hand in this situation:

• Introduce soon a console that is on breathing distance of Xbox 360, but much cheaper to do - think difference of GameCube and original Xbox
• New console it backwards compatible with all Wii titles. New games not downwards compatible, just like GBA games don't work on GBC
• User base transition handled like GBC > GBA or GBA > DS
• Branded as the evolution of Wii - iPod style naming
• Introduce at Wii launch price point and design, to replace Wii in the channel as fast as possible
• This way current massive Wii sales are channeled directly to the new console, making it leader day one
• Consumers will embrace this, significantly improved new value proposition

So, there you have it. How I think Nintendo can play it's hand and catch up with the technology curve.

OPEN QUESTIONS

The only questions I have is

- What architecture Nintendo could use to achieve backwards compatibility with Wii
- What Nintendo does in terms of optical media
- What this would mean to Metroid: Other M and new Zelda
- Why is it so extraordinarily quiet - we haven't heard a single thing - which we usually do

Chittagong said:
The chatter about Nintendo's next generation console and handheld is starting to get louder as Wii has been 3 years in the market and HD penetration is increasing.
Well, I immediately don't accept this premise.

HD penetration increases every year, but Wii sales have not significantly tapered off. While at some point it might matter, in fact some day it definitely will matter, I am not so sure that day is in the next three or so years.

gerg

Chittagong said:
• Consumers will embrace this, significantly improved new value proposition

I don't accept this premise.

Current Wii consumers clearly don't care significantly about technological capability. Why, then, would they view a more technologically capable machine as offering more value?

I initially disagree with the thread title, but I'll read before I say more, especially since one of your threads like this initially attracted me to GAF.

MYE

Chittagong said:
• Wii put Nintendo a generation behind in technology, and somehow it needs to catch up

This is the perfect time to attack

I don't accept this premise.

WillyFive

Honestly, Nintendo has no conceivable business or reason in mimicking the 360.

And if this is just a one time thing graphics wise, they might return to being graphically competitive next-gen if costs allows.

turnbuckle

I wish the Wii had more horsepower, but the idea that the best selling console that is still selling very well needs to shift gears soon makes zero sense from a business point of view. The audience for the kind of games 3rd parties and gamers who are unhappy with what the Wii offers are being pretty well served by MS and Sony. Trying to fill that market mid-gen only stands to make the WiiHD a mii-too console. It'd kill their momentum and stand to put them behind in hardware (and possibly peripherals) in a couple of years when the PS4/Xbox9,000 release.

Nintendo should just keep on truckin' and roll out a Wii 2 in 2012. Which means they'll probably release it in 2014.

Deadman

If they released a 360 comparable machine today would they not then find themselves in the exact same situation as today in 2012/2013 if sony and ms do indeed launch their new consoles then?

AniHawk

You forget to mention the vitality sensor. If it actually is still in the works with Wii Relax or whatever, a successor to the Wii is at least a year off. This will give time for Metroid, SMG2, and Zelda, and the more recent announcements to act as a last hurrah. I think whatever Retro's doing and/or Sora's doing is going to be for the next console or next handheld now. Nintendo's never been the type of company to strike first though. I don't see them making new hardware because they want to cut off Sony/Microsoft off at the legs. They'll make new hardware because they'll have reached as far as they could go with current sales.

I think the fact that a lot of EAD's working on new things for the Wii (EAD Tokyo, Zelda team, Wii _____ team), and that we haven't seen much from them for the DS means there's a new handheld coming sooner. Next DS = 2011 and next console = 2012 sounds like the most logical thing.

OP presumes that because people have HD Tvs they will stop buying Wiis.

Nintendos target market doesn't give a shit about Graphics.

When consoles get as bad as iPod level iterating and indeed what Nintendo does with its handhelds, thats when I will be forced to walk away. A new console, from Nintendo, would be complete and utter madness. To accept a 3 year generation would paint you all as company sycophants, let alone the resulting shitfest of having yet another Zelda game held hostage to another new generation it was never intended for.

"Hardcore gamers" just have to accept they barely matter at all to Nintendo. Theyre making money hand over fist, they don't give a shit what third partys do or want. Theyve finally found their business model where they don't even need them.

Agnates

Banned
What's the point in stating the obvious? Yes, the next Nintendo system will be more powerful than the current. Just like the Wii is more powerful than the GameCube, and so on and so forth. With the tech being so much cheaper than when Wii launched, they can likely beef it up significantly, to at least PS360 standards. I'm not sure why you have this implication of urgency in your title though. You're speaking of next gen. What's the "soon" and urgency for? Do you think they should be first out of the door with a new system, or what? The Wii's still doing better than both its competitors, graphical prowess be damned, so they have no reason to be the first to anything.

You should also add to that list . . .
-Something to take more control over the amount of pirating.
-A much better online system.
-M+ is inside every Wiimote.

Like Reggie said, they wouldn't JUST make a HD Wii . . . got to do other shit!

As for the games like SMG2, MoM and LoZ Wii I don't think Nintendo would have any problem with making them Wii2/+/HD/Super or w/e exclusive. I mean . . . we have only seen one trailer for 2 of them and nothing for Zelda, if they were to whip out a New Wii this year then I don't think anyone would blame them for making those games exclusive for it.

Deadman said:
If they released a 360 comparable machine today would they not then find themselves in the exact same situation as today in 2012/2013 if sony and ms do indeed launch their new consoles then?
Yeah exactly my thoughts

Snakeyes

You know, I think that releasing a successor with superior tech to the current gen consoles when Natal and Arc hit the shelves is the way to go.

I know it sounds crazy but;

- It would give the developers all the power they need to play around and experiment.

- Since it looks like MS and Sony are planning to extend the PS360's life until 2012 it would give Nintendo a tremendous head-start on the next generation.

- Even if this Super Wii ends up costing over 400$ at launch, its price should drop considerably by the time PS4 and Xbox 720 are released. Nintendo fans and hardcore gamers will buy it regardless of price while casuals can choose to upgrade when it becomes more affordable.

ReyBrujo

Chittagong said:
• Consumers adoption of HD is hitting 50%
Nice analysis. There are a few points I heavily disagree, more in which I agree, and a few I can't comment yet. However, I would just chime about HD adoption: even if it were 100%, it doesn't matter as long as the common citizen thinks the only difference between HD and SD is the width of the TV screen.

While you make some good points OP I see one really glaring flaw in this train of thought; does Nintendo really want to create a better environment for third parties? Nintendo, unlike Sony and MS is primarily a software developer and publisher (in that the only real reason they make hardware is to have a platform for their software) so why wouldn't they be happy with things the way they are?

Wii hardware sales may not be as high as they once were but their software sales are some of the best in their history. Why mess that up by releasing new hardware that will drive up your own development costs?

Agnates

Banned
Snakeyes said:
- Even if this Super Wii ends up costing over 400$ at launch, its price should drop considerably by the time PS4 and Xbox 720 are released. Nintendo fans and hardcore gamers will buy it regardless of price while casuals can choose to upgrade when it becomes more affordable.
Because everyone bought a GameCube when it went down to $99, it's not like the initial lack of market share made developers all but ignore the platform, despite its power.

fernoca

They'll also need to bundle that "Wii HD" with a classic controller, so that Xbox 360 and PS3 games can be ported or released at the same time across the 3 main consoles.

AniHawk

Snakeyes said:
You know, I think that releasing a successor with superior tech to the current gen consoles when Natal and Arc hit the shelves is the way to go.

I know it sounds crazy but;

- It would give the developers all the power they need to play around and experiment.

- Since it looks like MS and Sony are planning to extend the PS360's life until 2012 it would give Nintendo a tremendous head-start on the next generation.

Well it worked for the Jaguar!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Considering that without Nintendo, this generation would be fucked over 18 kinds of ways, I don't accept that they need a new console. In any way, shape, or form. Their games dominate the entire industry as it is and that is not going to change. Upgrading their system will only server to piss people off and what would they gain for doing it? Increased development budgets? It sure wouldn't be 3rd party support.

They don't need to do a thing.

Interesting premise.

It helps that Nintendo has a long history of doing these incremental upgrades in the portable space since the Gameboy Color, so if anyone could pull it off, it would be them. However, what works on the portable side may not necessarily work on the home console side.

The expanded audience that the Wii attracts will not be interested in this upgrade, and will stick with Wii 1. Eventually, they'll get confused by the Wii 2 games not being compatible, and that's never good. The "core" audience won't need a Wii 2, since they can get the same third party games on the PS3 or Xbox 360 they already own.

A Wii 2 won't help them in Japan, since all 3 consoles pale in comparison to the 2 portables.

The only people who will bite will be the late-late adopters and the faithful who want to play the first party games in HD.

Plus, Nintendo seems to care, how do I say this, less about the third parties than Sony and Microsoft. Look at the software top 10 every month.

This kind of reminds me of when people say, "Ya know Nintendo is gonna have to drop the price of the Wii sometime in 2010."

Um...why, exactly? The Wii is still selling at rates Sony and MS could ever dream of. So why would they need to release an HD system anytime soon? Not that they don't have R&D looking at all sides of the equation, but that's normal in any generation.

edit: I may be looking at this the wrong way. I thought you were saying a system like this was coming soon. Erase, erase.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Controversy - was very much expected, because what I propose goes against fans needs - super innovative controls or quantum leap in graphics. My thinking is that we won't see either.

Agnates said:
What's the point in stating the obvious? Yes, the next Nintendo system will be more powerful than the current. Just like the Wii is more powerful than the GameCube, which was more powerful than the Nintendo 64, and so on and so forth. With the tech being so much cheaper than when Wii launched, they can likely beef it up significantly, to at least PS360 standards. I'm not sure why you have this implication of urgency in your title though. You're speaking of next gen. What's the "soon" and urgency for? Do you think they should be first out of the door with a new system, or what? The Wii's still doing better than both its competitors, graphical prowess be damned, so they have no reason to be the first to anything.

Two points I think

- the key point is that Nintendo won't go to the "next level" but to "this level".
- The second point is that now with the inconvenient and forced architecture shift ahead, they need to break the cycle. Competing on technical par day 1 with Microsoft and Sony will be always too expensive - but 2-3 years down the road.

This leads to the idea of forcing a jump to mid-cycle renewal, so that they can always follow 2-3 years later with comparable, and ride their existing base for a few years when Sony and MS new consoles hit.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Not sure if I'd like a generation with the big three competing on par with each other. Most I had to worry about before was two companies since Sega got wiped out by Sony.

I agree with a lot here, just the timing is where I disagree.

He's my post from the other thread:

me said:
My assumption is a 2012 release, although, at the rate that the Wii is selling, it's hard to present it as a business case. I think when they do it, they'll do something very interesting though. I think they'll focus core gamer improvements at the new system - like better graphical capability, better mass storage, and better online - but they'll keep making and marketing their expanded audience games for the original Wii, and I think they'll encourage 3rd party efforts towards that crowd to do the same - like 'Let's Dance' and 'EA Sports Active' to do the same.

The marketing would include a message for their expanded audience that the existence of the new model would not mean that the old model is obsolete and soon to be unsupported.

If they do it in this way, I think that they have a way to bridge the momentum, and eventually carry old users to the new system as the PS2 provided ways to bridge PS1 users into the new system with full backwards compatibility.

What they'll need to avoid is causing a loss of interest in their expanded audience.

As far as backwards compatibility goes, the fact that Nintendo went with a PowerPC and a fairly generic GPU leads me to believe that as long as they stick with PowerPC and AMD for the CPU and GPU, they can upgrade and continue to work through mostly high level emulation. IBM recently announced availability of POWER7 processors. I don't know much about them other than that they run at 4.1ghz and do 4 threads per core. They have 4 core and 8 core models available. A dual core version of that would probably be your hairs breadth from the PS360. As far as GPU goes.... well... we should wait for brain_stew or one of the other PC GPU experts to pop up and talk about AMD's recent offerings.

at first I thought this thread was an actual nintendo statement, but it's just someones opinion. Most of it I don't agree with it btw.

No ones releasing a new console anytime soon.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Green Scar said:
No, this ISN'T the ideal strategy. This is simply what you want them to do.

No, I want a 3d headset, a graphically superior console over PS3/360 and an all new control scheme. I don't expect to see any of them, however, because it doesn't make business sense.

Fredescu

I wonder if it's too late to bother going after the big third party ports.

If they do though, one thing you didn't list is online infrastructure. Having well integrated XBL/PSN style online infrastructure has become an important part of the landscape for the big budget third party games that a move like this would be chasing after. I just can't see Nintendo focusing on online gaming so much as to create a service like that, and even if they do they will always be playing catch up. The other services have taken years of development to get to where they are.

ReyBrujo said:
Nice analysis. There are a few points I heavily disagree, more in which I agree, and a few I can't comment yet. However, I would just chime about HD adoption: even if it were 100%, it doesn't matter as long as the common citizen thinks the only difference between HD and SD is the width of the TV screen.
Im pretty sure the arvg person throwing down money for a HD TV knows theres a difference other then the shape of the screen . . .

Zenith

Banned
This seems to be what you would like to see them do, not what they need to do to maintain financial success.

ReyBrujo

AniHawk said:
You forget to mention the vitality sensor.
You know, I think vital sensors will become standard (along with joystick speakers like the Wii Remote one). It doesn't even need to be intrusive, a wrist strap that doubles as sensor (imagine the Wii Remote strap able to review your pulse). This way content could vary depending on the excitement of the player (and I am sure Molyneux would love something like that).

A Call of Cthulhu game where your pulse is actually your health meter... Bah, I am going offtopic.
Black-Wind said:
Im pretty sure the arvg person throwing down money for a HD TV knows theres a difference other then the shape of the screen . . .
You will be pretty surprised at the stupidity of the mass consumer (people with ADSL connections connecting to download mails, and then turn it off as if it were a modem...)

consoul

Wii put Nintendo a generation behind in technology, and somehow it needs to catch up
Do they really? I'd accept that they need to advance their own technology, but I don't believe they need to match the power of Sony and Microsoft's platforms.

Snakeyes

AniHawk said:
Well it worked for the Jaguar!

I'll just quote this write-up.

The 10 Reasons Why the Jaguar Failed
Watching this tape made me ponder why the Jaguar failed. It had a chance, really it did. It was far more advanced than the 16-bit systems of the time, the Playstation and Saturn were far down the horizon in 1993. For almost two years the Jaguar had the "next generation" market all to itself. It's only legitimate competitors were the overpriced 3DO and underpowered 32X. Give those conditions to a competent company and they'd still be dominating the gaming market today. Yet the Jaguar failed, abysmally. So since I like writing arbitrary lists, here are my 10 reasons why the Jaguar failed:

#10 Difficult to develop for: The Atari Jaguar was notoriously "difficult to develop for". I put that in quotes because I don't have a reference handy and of course haven't actually tried to write a Jaguar game. The word on the street is that the Jaguar hardware architecture was odd to put it mildly. Writing a Jaguar game apparently required mastering a number of hardware tricks that even Atari had troubles with. This naturally kept third-party developers away. Many didn't want to invest the time and effort required to back the Jaguar.

#9 Yawn inducing PC conversions: Up until recent times console systems couldn't hold a candle to the PC. Porting a game from the PC to a console was a tricky task. Most games didn't convert well so publishers would go with "safe" games. Unfortunately "safe" often meant "dull". The few PC games that were remade for Jaguar fit into the "dull" category. With a numeric pad the controller it had a real opportunity to see some novel PC conversions, but it was not to be.

#8 Overestimating value of Atari brand: When the Jaguar was released in 1993 the Atari name was held in the same regard as New Coke. It was something that was out of everyone's mind when the clock struck midnight 1/1/1990. The last thing anyone remembered were the obnoxious "under fifty bucks" commercials eight or so years prior. Yeah, the Lynx had a niche following but wasn't a household name by any means. Don't try to tell Atari any of this though. They thought the Atari brand alone would propel the system. Even worse, they assumed resurrecting old titles would produce automatic hits.

#7 CD attachment, too little too late: What was the point of the Jaguar CD? I assume it was to compete with the 3DO but I'm not sure how. The library consisted of games that were already on 3DO or weak remakes of cartridge games. It would have made sense to use it to get a head start on the Playstation and Saturn. Instead they aimed right at a system that was also faltering.

#6 Miserable fighting library: In the mid-90s fighting games were white-hot. Mortal Kombat I-II, Street Fighter II, Virtua Fighter, and the SNK library were consuming quarters at a mind-blowing pace. The Jaguar had none of these. It didn't even have the necessary six-button controller to facilitate them. The Jaguar pad was huge, shrinking the numeric pad and adding an extra row of buttons would have worked. Of course, if it's a good idea chances are the Jaguar wouldn't touch it. [Correction: oops the Jaguar did have a six-button controller that supported Primal Rage and Fight for Life, two great examples of the Jaguar fighting library.]

#5 Even worse sports library: Sports game sell systems. I personally witnessed the Sega Genesis outpace the Super Nintendo on this quality alone. The Jaguar sports library was pitiful. EA Sports supported every other system on the market, including the TG-16 CD, but steered clear of the Jaguar. A Madden Football game would have turned this system around. Trust me, people will pay absurd amounts of money to have the absolute best edition of Madden that's available. Instead Atari turned to companies with no track record for producing quality sports games. This left a huge chunk of the gaming market disinterested in the system.

#4 Rancid first generation: New consoles need to come out swinging. They need to make a statement that everything before them is crap. The Jaguar didn't do this. Nothing about it persuaded gamers to drop their 16-bit consoles. The really hardcore gamers bought it but the mainstream shoppers were skeptical. Some took a wait-and-see attitude but for most their first impression was so negative they never gave the system a second look.

#3 Nothing to look forward to: At no point in the brief Jaguar lifecycle could gamers see blue skies in the distance. A weak first generation can be forgiven if the future holds better times. For the Jaguar there was never anything better in sight. Before people drop a couple hundred bucks on a console they want to know it's going to be around for a while. The Jaguar could never promise that.

#2 Unexplainable commitment to giant polygons: In a previous article entitled "Closing Time" I commented that Atari's mindset was "people loved Hard Drivin' in 1988, let's make everything look like that!" I can't comprehend why they constantly felt the need to abuse polygons. Too many games had that same blocky look that made them almost indistinguishable. These polygon graphics were supposed to be "better" than the Genesis, Super Nintendo, and 3DO but customers didn't fall for it. The more polished Saturn and Playstation would make the Jaguar look like a joke.

#1 Lack of franchise titles: Think of a system that's been successful, or even semi-successful. Now think of the first game that comes to mind for it. Chances are it's a major exclusive franchise title, a game that's inseparable from the system. Some systems were blessed with many of these games, others just one or two. Whatever the case, a system needs a defining game or mascot that gives people a reason to buy it. The Nintendo consoles all had the Mario, Zelda, and Metroid franchises. Sega had Sonic and the Sega Sports brand. Sony was wise enough to lock down the Final Fantasy franchise for the Playstation. Halo established the Xbox as a serious contender. All of these franchises are household names. Heck my wife, who's not into video games by any stretch, knows who Master Chief is and I don't even own an Xbox. That's how much a successful franchise game can enter the mainstream. What did the Jaguar have? Nothing. No "killer app", no mascot that everyone recognized, nothing at all.

http://www.huguesjohnson.com/features/do-the-math/index.html

I expect:

- Q4 2011 or 2012 launch

- Technology that's significantly ahead of current generation consoles but "not quite there yet" (I.E. Dreamcast compared to its competitors). I expect something like a current average highend computer. The Wii was a but too far away from getting a lot of those nice multiplats. Having big games like Modern Warfare 2 and Devil May Cry 4 on the console will lead to a nice stream of 3rd party royalties.

- 1080p, it's cheap enough to the point where any decent video card can run it. Nintendo would have to intentionally gimp the console in order for it not to output it.

- Interactivity Controllers (I.E. Motion Controls) taken to the next level.

- Online with no friend codes

- Either Flash Cards or DVD 9 for Game Media

- A fair share of third parties jumping on board in the beginning, but not sure if they'll stay or not (depending on the first 6 months of performance of their games)

SecretBonusPoint said:
When consoles get as bad as iPod level iterating and indeed what Nintendo does with its handhelds, thats when I will be forced to walk away. A new console, from Nintendo, would be complete and utter madness. To accept a 3 year generation would paint you all as company sycophants, let alone the resulting shitfest of having yet another Zelda game held hostage to another new generation it was never intended for.

"Hardcore gamers" just have to accept they barely matter at all to Nintendo. Theyre making money hand over fist, they don't give a shit what third partys do or want. Theyve finally found their business model where they don't even need them.

I don't think you've paid much attention to what Iwata's been saying for the past few years or how the Wii has developed in the Japanese market. Right now, Nintendo needs third parties to get onboard somehow, since Nintendo's first party power alone can't sustain the Wii in Nintendo's home country. Of course, you're can feel free to believe what you want, but what you believe in isn't necessarily the truth of the matter.

A console refresh could benefit Nintendo in remaking a new image for their hardware. Not saying that it's going to happen any time soon, but I doubt that Nintendo is just sitting on their hands and planning to release a new Wii version in a similar manner to the DS.

I also think that, in general, Nintendo showing its cards before either Sony or Microsoft do is a bad idea.

Let's say, Wii2 is announced next week. It won't be, but let's imagine it is. It's as strong as the 360, 512mb of RAM, standard HDD, the works. People will be forced to upgrade as who's going to really develop for the Wii at that point? And the system gets a year or two worth of ports.

And then MS and Sony raises their specs to the point of feasibility for them and incompatibility with Nintendo's system. Suddenly, all the Wii 2 will be getting are "last gen" ports. All you've done is move the current dynamic up on the technological scale. Even fewer interesting new games will be produced solely for the Wii/2, because the price of development has just increased tenfold.

So they've wasted their install base advantage, wasted their ability to react to the competition, and become an also-ran by jumping the gun.

SamBishop

Banned
I think this was very well thought-out, thanks, Chittagong. I too believe that the single best move Nintendo could make right now would be to roll out an updated version of the same hardware/tech and treat it like they always have their handhelds. A more HD-friendly offering would also even the playing field a bit more in terms of what the Wii can do to enhance the normal HD third-party release. I realize there will be motion offerings from Sony and MS, but they're still going to be seen as supplemental ways to play the game vs. the Wii's motion control by default.

In the end, all that really matters is that this is an amazing time to be into video games. Things are making rather dramatic and unprecedented shifts on a yearly basis as of late, and I can't wait to see what the shakeups in the next few are going to cause. This has already been one of the most unique console generations we've ever had, and it's not going to get any less interesting any time soon.

if they could release a wii that outputs at 720p and comes with a wiimotion+, while dropping bc and the gamecube ports, at 250 and still making a profit, i think we will see it.

Black-Wind said:

You would be surprised. I've had a relative tell me that the SD signal looks better than the HD signal on their new HDTV. And I would be surprised if more than 50% of HDTV's are hooked up to an HD source of any type.

yurinka

Nintendo doesn't have a reason to change their strategy. Both Wii and DS are selling like nobody did in terms of HW and 1st party SW.

They are going to wait until their sales start to fall seriously. They are going to add only little tweaks to the HW, like with the new DS.

So maybe they will be to release their next gen HW around 2012, a year or 2 before PS4 and Xbox720.

Top Bottom