• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE To Be Renamed SNEP

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment) is going to be renamed SNEP (SNE Platform, guessing Sony Network & Entertainment Platform).

Kotaku said:
Starting on April 1 of this year, Sony's reorganization will take effect. Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Kaz Hirai will head a new business group that brings together Sony's mobile electronics and personal computers. SCE will be no more.

Instead, the wholly-owned Sony subsidiary will be centered around networked devices and will be known as SNE Platform or SNEP, the Sony Group stated in an official release. SNEP? Yes, SNEP.

Does that mean Sony Computer Entertainment America will be SNEPA and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe will be SNEPE?

In fall 2009, Sony outlined its plans for creating an all encompassing online service out of the PlayStation Network that integrates the service with hardware products.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5478924/sony-computer-entertainment-to-become-snep

So, what are people's thoughts on the new acronym? Good? Dumb sounding?

Update:

gofreak noticed they're doing something odd actually:

gofreak said:
A linky per my earlier post, from Dow Jones:

http://www.tradesignalonline.com/Markets/Story.aspx?id=577003&cat=5

- Sony Corp. (6758.TO) said Wednesday that it will restructure its network services operations by absorbing the business into the parent company.

The company's network services operations are currently a part of its game unit Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

The reorganization will proceed in three stages; Sony Computer Entertainment will change its name to SNE Platform, but its key game console and software operations will then be split off to a new company called Sony Computer Entertainment. Sony will then absorb SNE Platform effective April 1.

So SCE will be named SNEP rather temporarily. Perhaps just for all the time it takes to sign a couple of forms.

I wonder, though, if this will be reflected in the company history. The company being renamed and then set up again. One way to wash away the sins of the early PS3 years... :lol :D 'PS3 is the best selling console in Sony Computer Entertainment's history' ;)

Steroyd

I've grown too accustmed to bitching about SCEE, that it's going to feel wrong bitching at SNEPE initially. :(

elektrixx

Banned
sornyea1.gif

SmokyDave

I hope this is some sort of move toward a unified, global PSN with global licensing and each region having an 'import' section where they can buy games from other regions on the understanding that Sony & Pubs will not offer any kind of support for import software.

It isn't, is it? It's just an excuse to buy new headed notepaper :(

Sorry, but it'll always be SCEE to me. I've heard "Start your engines, for another Sony Computer Entertainment Europe production!" barked at me far too many times over the past 10 years to ever recognise it as SNEPE.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
My reading of it from other reports:

Sony Computer Entertainment will be renamed SNE Platform.

SNE Platform will split off the game console and software operations into a 'new' company called Sony Computer Entertainment.

SNE will be absorbed into Sony.

It's a shuffle designed to have the network services operations taken over by the parent company. Currently SCE is charged with responsibility for them as per their earlier shuffle. Why this is the easiest way for Sony to absorb back the network service operations, I've no idea.

Where that leaves SCE in relation to the current 'Network Services' division I also have no clue.

BASICALLY:

SCE will die. Then it will be reborn. :eek:

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

- Sony Corp. (6758.TO) said Wednesday that it will restructure its network services operations by absorbing the business into the parent company.

The company's network services operations are currently a part of its game unit Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

The reorganization will proceed in three stages; Sony Computer Entertainment will change its name to SNE Platform, but its key game console and software operations will then be split off to a new company called Sony Computer Entertainment. Sony will then absorb SNE Platform effective April 1.

So SCE will be named SNEP rather temporarily. Perhaps just for all the time it takes to sign a couple of forms.

I wonder, though, if this will be reflected in the company history. The company being renamed and then set up again. One way to wash away the sins of the early PS3 years... :lol :D 'PS3 is the best selling console in Sony Computer Entertainment's history' ;)

Acosta

So SCE will die for our sins and be reborn on easter. Wow, biblical. Year of PS3 for sure, Jesus is on their side.

Brashnir said:
Why couldn't they have added an "Interactive" to the acronym for the lulz?
It actually fits too, strangely enough. Sony Interactive Network & Entertainment Platform.

Maybe they were about to call it that and realised what the acronym backwards was? Just a theory, but it sounds (also strangely) plausible.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gofreak said:

That's... kind of random.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Steroyd said:
Jesus. :lol

Now I want to know why they're going through this process.

Maybe to prepare for...the grand return.

KUTARAGI'S POST-RETIREMENT PLOT REVEALED

In the confusion of the form signing, KK will swoop in, snatch the forms, and commandeer control of what is rightly his!

But...yeah...it does all seem a bit convoluted. Why can't SCE just 'transfer back' the divisions in question? Does Sony want to roll them into their own company anyway, so this is the easiest route? Where does this leave financial reporting...will SCE and SNEP go back to reporting seperately? Will Kaz also be in charge of SNEP, as he is of the 'network services division' now?

Maybe it's being done cos some other consumer product groups didn't like that SCE was basically pulling all the strings with this new network stuff they're being compelled to adopt. Maybe they want the network services stuff to be independent of SCE. Would seem kind of petty, but that kind of internal tension was apparently there before.

gofreak said:

What a waste of time.

So video gaming will be covered by SCE, while networked platforms will be covered by SNEP. Makes sense considering that they want PSN to cover the entire company.

I wouldn't be surprised if PSN got a name change soon as it is used to cover all Sony devices. Hopefully it should bring about a greater level of non gaming content to hit the service over the long term!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Fuck you SNEPA doesn't sound anywhere as good as fuck you SCEA.

deal with it , fuck you SNEPE ( see nee pee ) sound good to me , Europe is superior yet again.

gofreak said:

http://www.tradesignalonline.com/Mar...d=577003&cat=5

I wonder, though, if this will be reflected in the company history. The company being renamed and then set up again. One way to wash away the sins of the early PS3 years... 'PS3 is the best selling console in Sony Computer Entertainment's history' ;)

so they later will return as Sony Computer Entertainment , all this just to remove "Inc" :/

well I hope they at least change their crappy old logo too

80px-Sony_Computer_Entertainment_logo.svg.png

^ it's ugly

chris0701

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles/1002/24/news054.html

The net worth of SCE is up to negative 10.4 billion yen now.

SCEの2009年3月期売上高は9850億円で、うちソニーに承継する部分の売上高は15億円。同期末の純資産は104億円のマイナス(債務超過)になっている。

Massa

gofreak said:
My reading of it from other reports:

Sony Computer Entertainment will be renamed SNE Platform.

SNE Platform will split off the game console and software operations into a 'new' company called Sony Computer Entertainment.

SNE will be absorbed into Sony.

It's a shuffle designed to have the network services operations taken over by the parent company. Currently SCE is charged with responsibility for them as per their earlier shuffle. Why this is the easiest way for Sony to absorb back the network service operations, I've no idea.

Where that leaves SCE in relation to the current 'Network Services' division I also have no clue.

BASICALLY:

SCE will die. Then it will be reborn. :eek:

Now I kind of wish the thread had been named that way, "Sony to kill off SCE".

Why does anyone care...? SCE isn't really promoted as a customer facing brand in the west anyway?

Unless SCEE is going to become SNEPE and SCEA becomes SNEPA?

chris0701

How could SCE have negative 10.4 billions yen of net worth now ?

Does it means SCE has almost lost their profit from the amazing PS1&PS2 age ?

Top Bottom