• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor + Lecture Hall + Students + The holocaust = Confrontation + Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard of this man before but having come across this video recently, I think it perfectly illustrates the emotional background involving one of the most (now sadly) controversial subjects in modern day society.

Welcome to the Holy Land.

Video

You feel sorry for both of them. The fact that they share so much in common and can still shout at each other and be as divided I think highlights the mockery of our problems. On a personal point, I've never seen anyone take advantage of the history of the holocaust.

Dead Man

You'd probably get more attention if you put his name in the title, Finkelstein is a bit of a controversial figure.

Edit: After watching the video, I agree completley with Finkelstein here. She had not suffered under Nazi Germany, so why the tears? Sure, you can empathise, but why bawl your eyes out?

idahoblue said:
You'd probably get more attention if you put his name in the title, Finkelstein is a bit of a controversial figure.

Edit: After watching the video, I agree completley with Finkelstein here. She had not suffered under Nazi Germany, so why the tears? Sure, you can empathise, but why bawl your eyes out?

You don't need to lay a foot inside Jerusalem or that region for it be personal. Some people mistake the Israeli/Palestinian conflict as political. It's not in my opinion. It's identity.

EDIT: Can't edit thread title.

Dead Man

Meus Renaissance said:
You don't need to lay a foot inside Jerusalem or that region for it be personal. Some people mistake the Israeli/Palestinian conflict as political. It's not in my opinion. It's identity.
Yeah, but she was going on about Nazi concentration camps, and how it was so offensive to use the word Nazi in relation to Jews. I think that is in poor taste, but Finkelsteins family suffered terrible in the holocaust, so who is she to tell him what words he is allowed to use? And crying? Really? Maybe after it devolved into a shouting match, if she was upset about that, but she started crying as soon as she was talking.
Meus Renaissance said:
EDIT: Can't edit thread title.
Oh well, sad video none the less. Your initial point about people with so much in common fighting was correct.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I wish I had an ounce of his on-stage charisma.

Apath

Rez said:
Wow, I wish I had an ounce of his on-stage charisma.
Still no match for that one guy who did the speech on Stupid Design (well, the intro of stupid design into his speech).

racerx

Banned
This problem will never end. Although I don't agree with the land seizures and treatment of Palestinians, I can still understand the psychology of many Israelis.

After the holocaust, if you were jewish, how would you feel? We only have one planet earth, there needs to be some land allocated to the Jews.

racerx said:
This problem will never end. Although I don't agree with the land seizures and treatment of Palestinians, I can still understand the psychology of many Israelis.

After the holocaust, if you were jewish, how would you feel? We only have one planet earth, there needs to be some land allocated to the Jews.

Why?

Talas

racerx said:
Why the jews and not the gypsies? They also died by the millions in the nazi regime.

racerx

Banned
CharlieDigital said:

Because Jews are hated pretty much everywhere. This group more than most others really need something to call their own. That is why.

Why the jews and not the gypsies? They also died by the millions in the nazi regime.

then same with the gypies. Is there a movement from them to have their own homeland?

Talas

racerx said:
Because Jews are hated pretty much everywhere. This group more than most others really need something to call their own. That is why.
I can't believe I'm reading this...

Talas said:
And the gays?

I want to visit gay-land. That would be FAB-U-LOUS!

OK, I did live in San Francisco for a while it was great.

racerx

Banned
paranoidfortean said:
Replace this with white or black and you can see what's wrong with this.

Why? whats wrong with that if White people or black people were endangered? Why couldn't those groups have their own home land?

White and black people as groups pretty much have their own countries.

ksan

racerx said:
Why? whats wrong with that if White people or black people were endangered? Why couldn't those groups have their own home land?

White and black people both have countries that are pretty much their own.
Let's allocate the whole of North America to the Native Americans, kthx.

Dead Man

racerx said:

White and black people both have countries that are pretty much their own.
Okay, I wasn't commenting before, but this is stupid.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
racerx said:

oh dear.

racerx said:

Um, homosexuals? Why not them? Tell me Gayland wouldn't be the best decorated, most well-coiffed country in the world.

racerx

Banned
I agree with Dr. Norman Finkelstein. Using persecution to justify evil is just as evil, perhaps moreso than the Holocaust, not in terms of numbers dead but just the demagoguery that 'we were murdered and persecuted therefore we deserve to turn that around and use it as a tool to murder and subjugate others' is evil incarnate. I believe the film Munich covered this particular issue pretty well.

Holepunch

racerx said:

Or we could all live together and spite the prejudices by overcoming them. We're not there yet, but you gotta admit racism and prejudice is a lot less rampant and no where near as severe now as it was even 40 years ago. I would attribute that to equality rights, not to separation by homelands. It's not like Jews are the only ethnic group to face strong persecution. There is no reason they can't live in any other modern society like the rest of us.

While racerx has danced around the answer, he has still not answered the question of why any group "deserves" to have a homeland that's either racially, ethnically, culturally, or religiously singular. "Just because"? That's not good enough.

CharlieDigital said:
While racerx has danced around the answer, he has still not answered the question of why any group "deserves" to have a homeland that's either racially, ethnically, culturally, or religiously pure. "Just because"? That's not good enough.

Maybe Racerx just hates ethnic groups and wants them all grouped together so they're easier to kill?

Saves a lot of trouble from picking and weeding them from the general population.

racerx said:

The nazis felt endagered by the jews you know, they wanted their very own home land... Why wouldn't neo nazis have their own home land?

Van Owen

Banned
Why is the girl losing her shit? Props to the professor. :lol

A lot of people in that audience make me want to vomit. One thing I won't miss about school is the self-hating liberal douchey college students who are supposedly progressive while they protest speakers that were INVITED to the school or disrespecting them.

quickwhips

Why does anyone need there own land. We can all live together. Sorry some shit happened but move on. Bad shit happens to everyone through history. Those people are mostly dead. The survivors don't need land...they got to survive. Land doesn't do nothing for the one thats are dead.

racerx

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
While racerx has danced around the answer, he has still not answered the question of why any group "deserves" to have a homeland that's either racially, ethnically, culturally, or religiously singular. "Just because"? That's not good enough.

Well, I guess I need to think about it more. But I feel that jews have been so persecuted throughout history that they really need their own land. Since today most countries are pretty progressive(western countries largely), the case for a jewish homeland is less urgent - which was not the case at the end of ww2.

Lunchbox

Banned
racerx -

oqc5xf.png

gaf -

f1lgll.png

racerx -

nv5is1.png

I don't see why a religious group needs it's own country. A country for the "Jews".

We'll slip that right between Christland and Muslimia.

racerx

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
Go right ahead.

So, what do you think should happen?

Is the status quo fine with you? Should the israelis all leave the middle east?
or should the israelis finally recognize the palestinians and hand over the west bank to them under their full control.

Would the arabs be able to fully live in peace with the jews?

racerx

Banned
Lunchbox said:
racerx -

oqc5xf.png

gaf -

f1lgll.png

racerx -

nv5is1.png
hahaha.
You know the crazy thing is, if you colored her hair black, gave her squintier eyes, cut her hai short r, she would look like me. We have the same shaped face.

Lebron

It was like he pimp slapped her with words, my goodness, it was beautiful. But yeah, I agree with what he was saying.

way more

Lunchbox said:

Not really. RacerX just said he thought the Jews deserved a homeland and 40 people asked why. Then he said he didn't have a good answer.

It's not like anyone pointed out a viable solution for the middle east.

Holepunch

mac said:
It's not like anyone pointed out a viable solution for the middle east.

I wish I could say "Don't make Israel" but it's a little late for that. Palestine wouldn't go for sharing it. Gradually reduce the borders of Israel until it's gone and forget it ever happened?

Holepunch said:
I wish I could say "Don't make Israel" but it's a little late for that. Palestine wouldn't go for sharing it. Gradually reduce the borders of Israel until it's gone and forget it ever happened?

that would be far worse than the current situation. I think the best bet is to kick out the Israeli settlers and give Palestine it's own country then somehow require that both countries have extremely secular governments.

racerx said:
So, what do you think should happen?

Is the status quo fine with you? Should the israelis all leave the middle east?
or should the israelis finally recognize the palestinians and hand over the west bank to them under their full control.

Would the arabs be able to fully live in peace with the jews?

It would be an interesting experiment to see what would happen if the Israelis agree to establish Palestinian sovereignty over the West Bank, Gaza, and East Jerusalem in addition to lifting the blockades and sanctions which impede economic development and progress, tools which would help bring peace.

Would the Palestinian leadership be able to keep the peace with the prosperity? That's the experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom