• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2010 Thread of Moving to the Clouds and eating Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
io2010logo.png

http://code.google.com/events/io/2010/

Google I/O, Google big developer event started today. It features Keynotes and lectures from employees at google as well as a look at whats in the pipeline for:

- Android (Froyo, 2.2 etc)
- ChromeOS
- New Google Projects (GDrive?)

The first keynote is at 9:00 AM (PST) and can be watched live via the Google Developers Youtube channel

SimleuqiR

http://phandroid.com/2010/05/19/google-io-what-you-need-to-know-today-and-tomorrow/

The day is finally here. We’re on the brink of the 3rd annual Google I/O conference and I couldn’t be any more excited. When I woke up, I was recapping how I would be able to keep up with all of the action to come out of the Moscone West Convention Center in “Sunny San Fran”, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

io-ornaments-2010.jpg

Thus, I figured it’d be a good idea to round up all of the information you’ll need if you’re planning to follow this event from the comfort of where ever you are forced to be today (aren’t we all wishing we were able to goto I/O?) Google I/O to Android fans like us is the CES to general tech buffs, the E3 to gamers, and the Antique Road Show to collectors, old folks, and hippies. It’s become a staple event of the Android nation since 2008, and this year it only looks to be even better.

* We’re expecting an Android 2.2 (Froyo) announcement. It will be a major milestone for the Android platform which introduces some great new features such as Flash Mobile 10.1 from Adobe. We also suspect Google has baked the JIT compiler into the kernel for increased performance. Other goodies are yet to be confirmed or revealed, so when Google takes the stage to (hopefully) announce Froyo, we’re hoping to learn more about what other tricks it has up its sleeve.

* Adobe will be showing off Flash Mobile in its final or near-final stages. I believe this deserved its own bullet point as we could also hear an announcement regarding its availability on older Android versions, as well (namely 2.1). It’s a long shot, but we’ll be looking out for it.

* Games will be a main focal point. Everyone knows that Android isn’t the most inviting operating system to use if all you’ll be downloading is games. Thankfully, Google is taking that very seriously as demonstrated through their new initiatives such as acquiring game development experts to help make Android a more approachable system for developers. We’ll be seeing a few sessions focused on game development for Android, today, so hopefully a new age of gaming for Android gets a kick-start with the 2010 Google I/O conference.

* The first Android-based TV is being announced today. Sony, Intel, and Google have teamed up to create a new space for Android: the television market. From phones to netbooks, tablets to MIDs, and even Android-powered cars: we’re now going to see Android be used to create a unique television experience that could change the way you consume your video content. We’ve yet to get any details on what they might be showing, but recent patent application images might give us an idea.

With that out of the way, let’s talk about how you can keep a tab on all of the latest news coming from Google I/O.

* On Twitter, if you’re familiar with it, Google’s dubbing the official hashtag to be #io2010. While it will be a hectic way to follow the event, it’s a great way to get up-to-the-second blurbs about what’s going on at the keynote speeches. This is especially useful if you can’t view videos while you’re at work, because the next bullet-point won’t apply to you.

* You can view the keynotes live via YouTube. Google will be streaming the keynotes on their own YouTube channel so you don’t miss the important bits as they’re announced. This is great for those who couldn’t make it and for those of us who simply didn’t get a chance to go. While you won’t be getting the full I/O experience, you can at least be excited for some great announcements coming out of the keynotes. (Wednesday’s keynote speech begins at 9:00 am and will last until 10:30 am pacific. Thursday’s keynote will begin at 8:30 am and will last until 10:00 am pacific. Both of these events essentially “kick-off” the day-long conference on each day, so you’ll want to keep your eyes on your favorite news source starting from those times.)

* Definitely keep your eyes glued to Phandroid. While a live-blogging experience would be deemed unnecessary (thanks to those aforementioned live streams for the keynote speeches), we’ll still do our best to bring you the most compelling and up-to-date coverage out of Google I/O. That means that – along with everything you hear announced at the keynotes – we’ll be working hard to bring you some unique stories and content that you probably wouldn’t find anywhere else.

* Sessions will be online no later than 1-2 weeks after the event. Similar to last year, Google will be recording most of their hosted sessions and will be posting them online. With this – and the keynotes – you’ll be getting everything that the I/O attendees get, except for the valuable hands-on time with whatever you’re looking to get your feet wet with (and, of course, the free phone that you get just for attending, among other swag).

Google’s made it easy to feel like you’re a part of the event when you aren’t. With streamed keynotes and sessions uploaded to YouTube – not to mention Twitter and our anticipated coverage for the event – you should be very well equipped to follow the latest and greatest to come out of the Android camp.

Some extra info. Can't wait!

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It'll be interesting to see if they do anything with the VP8 codec. That and Chrome OS (haven't seen that for a while)

itxaka

Defeatist
I expect ChromeOS to not even appear.

The thing sucks, and it's not ready to compete with an normal OS, even with a small OS like Moblin or Meego.

People still want devices that do more than web browsing.

But I expect them to have a new, open-source VP8 iteration.

andycapps

I for one welcome our new Google overlords, etc, etc, etc.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm looking forward to what Froyo brings as I'll be jumping on the Android train on June 4th with the EVO. Interested in what other news Google has up their sleeves. Probably a new service with a private beta rolling out.

itxaka said:
I expect ChromeOS to not even appear.

The thing sucks, and it's not ready to compete with an normal OS, even with a small OS like Moblin or Meego.

People still want devices that do more than web browsing.

But I expect them to have a new, open-source VP8 iteration.

Dont write ChromeOS Off, iirc Android looked pretty shitty in the beta stages

Mr.NiceGuy

Guys, for the simple minded people like me please tell us when will the keynote starts IN HOURS. I can't figure the american time since I don't live there so please tell us.

itxaka

Defeatist
Subliminal said:
Dont write ChromeOS Off, iirc Android looked pretty shitty in the beta stages

Meh, I don't know. I compile it from time to time to check it out and well...I am not really impressed.

Is fast, yeah but it feels so empty, so lifeless that they have a really really hard work to do, and maybe to change if they want to accomplish something with it, other than a kernel + windows manager + browser. Because, actually anybody can do that, and it's not impressive.

But I hope I'm mistaken. I been wanting a light OS for my netbook, and had a lot of faith on Moblin and ChromeOS, and both failed me :(

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
kaching said:
Supposedly this is tied to the VP8 codec announcement...and possibly hardware support too:

http://www.webmproject.org/

woah! I hope that's real.

The WebM launch is supported by Mozilla, Opera, Google and more than forty other publishers, software and hardware vendors.
Watch WebM videos on YouTube!
VP8 Bitstream Specification License

Google hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable (except as stated in this section) patent license to make, have made, use, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise implementations of this specification where such license applies only to those patent claims, both currently owned by Google and acquired in the future, licensable by Google that are necessarily infringed by implementation of this specification. If You or your agent or exclusive licensee institute or order or agree to the institution of patent litigation against any entity (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that any implementation of this specification constitutes direct or contributory patent infringement, or inducement of patent infringement, then any rights granted to You under the License for this specification shall terminate as of the date such litigation is filed.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
How to Play WebM Video

Playing on YouTube

1. Download and install a supported browser (listed below).
  2. Start the newly installed browser.
  3. Go to www.youtube.com/html5 and enroll in the YouTube HTML5 experiment.
  4. Search for a video by keyword. For example, trailers.
  5. In the browser’s address bar, add &webm=1 to the end of the URL. For example, http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trailers&aq=f&webm=1.
  6. Press Enter.
  7. In the list of videos that appears, click any of the links.
  8. The video will play in your browser and display HTML5 webm in the toolbar of the video player.

Supported Web Browsers

Available Now

Chromium tip/nightly trunk build beginning May 19, 2010
Mozilla Firefox nightly trunk build beginning May 19, 2010

giga

kaching said:
How to Play WebM Video

Playing on YouTube

1. Download and install a supported browser (listed below).
  2. Start the newly installed browser.
  3. Go to www.youtube.com/html5 and enroll in the YouTube HTML5 experiment.
  4. Search for a video by keyword. For example, trailers.
  5. In the browser’s address bar, add &webm=1 to the end of the URL. For example, http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trailers&aq=f&webm=1.
  6. Press Enter.
  7. In the list of videos that appears, click any of the links.
  8. The video will play in your browser and display HTML5 webm in the toolbar of the video player.

Supported Web Browsers

Available Now

Chromium tip/nightly trunk build beginning May 19, 2010
Mozilla Firefox nightly trunk build beginning May 19, 2010
Using the latest Chromium nightly. No go.

hkntn

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
giga said:
Using the latest Chromium nightly. No go.
Oh well, guess they're a bit behind the official unveiling then.

Edit: Keynote on Youtube isn't streaming at all for me.

Deadman

Sony, MS and Nintendo should really do this for E3, would be much better than the fragmented and often crashing streams we usually get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom