• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2010 Thread of Moving to the Clouds and eating Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about the quality of the WebM format. I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison with H.264. If it's good quality, I'm all for it. I'm only concerned about hardware support, which will likely contribute to Apple throwing a snit over it.

In any case, now the FOSS nerds can finally STFU about Theora.

Xyphie

lunarworks said:
I'm only concerned about hardware support, which will likely contribute to Apple throwing a snit over it.

HW decoding will get there in a few years, both AMD and Nvidia are partners, as well as embedded vendors like ARM, Imagination etc.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
kaching said:
Well, they just dramatically improved the prospects for Chrome OS.
This isn't all going to be a ChromeOS or Google Chrome specific, is it?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
RubxQub said:

There's nothing proprietary keeping it locked to Chrome or Google that I'm aware of.

The web store obviously is (or maybe it's just tied to your Google account, not sure) but there's nothing stopping people providing this content to anyone and everyone. I think that's the point.

edit: confirmed. Chrome WebStore Apps work on any browser.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
RubxQub said:
I assume not, just pointing out that it fills a notable gap in what we know about Chrome OS so far.

RubxQub

Andrex said:
Shit they're even taking on magazines. o_0
Sounds like they're figuring out ways to sell us websites now! :lol

Very much feels like when Google seriously tackles the tablet space, they're going to make this ChromeWebStore the center focus for distribution of apps.

Withnail

Priz said:
I'm running 5.0.7-test4 DS and 2.1 runs snappy on my G1. It's enough to hold me over until my next upgrade. :)

You should consider installing it as I felt the same way (about needing to upgrade) but this is pretty solid! (LauncherPro makes it even better.)

Interesting. I'll look into it, thanks for posting.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SI digital is using practically everything HTML5 has to offer. This is incredible.

RubxQub

"And we can charge for it."

There you go.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

Raistlin

Quite excited to see WebM (VP8 video / Ogg Vorbis audio) will be getting HW support from basically everyone. Intel is the only one that hasn't jumped yet.

Once the HW is entrenched (particularly in the mobile market), that takes away the main argument in support of h.264 becoming the de facto standard for HTML 5's video tag.

Also, the fact the WebM container is based on Matroska may have some interesting implications in the future. We may yet see devices like the PS3 being updated to support Matroska. :p

RubxQub

eznark said:
I'm just going to copy and paste Rubx's comments for the next Jobs jerk fest thread.
I'm genuinely impressed with most of this stuff!

I think the ChromeWebStore is pretty genius, as things like the App Store and Steam have shown us that consumers want easy and managed ways of finding and consuming content. Their analogy that it's tough to find a chess game on the web, but easy on a web device was a great comparison.

My "selling us websites" comment applies to desktops. Recreating a magazine to read on a computer doesn't feel nearly as natural as it would on a tablet device. The real power is going to come if there is an obvious Android/ChromeOS tie in that'll enable access to this stuff through mobile devices like tablets and phones.

Come on...I'm not trolling you folks.

I'll jet, though. Don't want to ruin the love fest, even if I don't think I'm actively interrupting it.

Zeppu

Listen I know this is just kindling for a Google vs Apple argument (again) and that that's fun (I started) but this really isn't about phones or flash or anything. This is how the internet will improve.

Google has improved the web incredibly and these are exciting developments on what we'll be using/seeing in 6m/1 year from now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Now, now, children.

I can't really hear what this guy's talking about. Is it me or is the volume crazy low?

He's running Ubuntu though, so I support that.

BigFwoosh

Hawkian said:
Now, now, children.

I can't really hear what this guy's talking about. Is it me or is the volume crazy low?

He's running Ubuntu though, so I support that.
It's not just you. They need to turn up that volume like crazy.

josephdebono said:
Listen I know this is just kindling for a Google vs Apple argument (again) and that that's fun (I started) but this really isn't about phones or flash or anything. This is how the internet will improve.

Google has improved the web incredibly and these are exciting developments on what we'll be using/seeing in 6m/1 year from now.

Exactly. Why anyone looks at this and automatically sees Google and Apple squaring off is beyond me. This isn't strictly a business conference/keynote, it's about moving the Internet forward.

For instance, Google pushing HTML5 this hard is a very good thing, whether you think Flash is the future or not.

SimleuqiR

kaching said:
Weird that froyo is tomorrow, when a number of the actual android sessions are occurring today.

Yes, and no. Android is jumping into TVs and Cars, among other platforms. They will probably give most of tomorrow's time to the Android OS. Today seems to be an HTML5 day. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know this is kind of not going to help the potential vs. Apple silliness, but I do think there is something somewhat wondrous about demonstrating the ability of their devices to enjoy Flash (that'll be tomorrow) while heavily promoting a completely superior, open-source alternative to it, at the same conference.

I love Google.

EDIT: It looked like it automatically updated all of the relevant included java when a new variable was added to the single application, could that be so?

SimleuqiR

Subliminal said:
SHOTS FIRED!!

They covered up the Apple Logo on that macbook.

:lol

Hawkian said:
I know this is kind of not going to help the potential vs. Apple silliness, but I do think there is something somewhat wondrous about demonstrating the ability of their devices to enjoy Flash (that'll be tomorrow) while heavily promoting a completely superior, open-source alternative to it, at the same conference.

I love Google.

Don't be evil...check (until you get caught :lol ).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
josephdebono said:
Jesus christ wtf was that? What happened?

It reminds me of ruby on rails. I'm sure spring was already like that, but the newness seems to be the 'make the front end with GWT'.

This is boring now though. It's just all 'regular GWT' stuff, a sales-pitch for people who've not seen GWT before.

giga

http://www.webmproject.org/about/faq/
When will other Google products support WebM and VP8?

WebM support in Android is expected in the Gingerbread release (currently planned for Q4, 2010). We expect many other Google products to adopt WebM and VP8 as they prioritize it with their other product requirements. Keep an eye on the WebM blog for announcements.

If I have a video card that accelerates video playback, will it accelerate VP8?

The performance of VP8 is very good in software, and we’re working closely with many video card and silicon vendors to add VP8 hardware acceleration to their chips.

Can I use VP8 with a file container other than WebM or an audio codec other than Vorbis?

Yes, the license gives you the freedom to use VP8 in virtually any way you like. It should be noted, however, that when VP8 is used in a container other than WebM it will not play in browsers that support WebM.

WebM playback seems to use a lot of processor resources on my computer. Why is this?

The Developer Preview releases of browsers supporting WebM are not yet fully optimized and therefore have a higher computational footprint for screen rendering than we expect for the general releases. The computational efficiencies of the VP8 codec are more accurately measured today using codec-level development tools in the SDKs. Optimizations of the browser implementations are forthcoming.
Tried on the dev opera build and yes it is pretty resource intensive right now but it is just a developer preview.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SimleuqiR said:
Yes, and no. Android is jumping into TVs and Cars, among other platforms. They will probably give most of tomorrow's time to the Android OS. Today seems to be an HTML5 day. :D
Yeah, I suppose I would have approached it more from the perspective of covering the highlights of all the technologies today, and doing a deeper dive on specifics tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom