• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Partners with Studios to Deliver 3D Movies on 3DS

Didn't see it posted...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/06/nintendo-strikes-deals-with-three-studios-for-3d-movies-on-upcoming-3ds-handheld-console.html

LA Times said:
Nintendo gave Sony Corp. a poke in the eye Tuesday morning by announcing an agreement with Warner Bros., Walt Disney Co. and DreamWorks to deliver stereoscopic 3-D movies to Nintendo's upcoming 3DS hand-held console.

The Japanese game company did not list movie titles, but a demo of the console showed a trailer of Disney's "Tangled," which was an adaptation of Rapunzel. "Tangled" is set for theatrical release Nov. 24.

Nintendo said it expected to ship the 3DS sometime during its current fiscal year, ending March 31, 2011, but Nintendo President Satoru Iwata declined to say whether the console would be on store shelves in time for the Christmas holidays.

Nintendo's announcement comes just hours before Sony is expected to unveil, at its own E3 press conference, 20 game titles in 3-D for its PlayStation 3 console. Sony has made 3-D movies, televisions and games a corporate-wide priority and is expected to evangelize on the technology this week.

Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo's U.S. business, sought to distinguish the 3DS from the competition by emphasizing that the console didn't require players to wear polarized or cumbersome active shutter glasses. Akin to lenticular 3-D images, the screen projects an illusion of 3 dimensions. The result is a picture comparable to 3-D with glasses. To perceive the effect, however, viewers must be positioned directly in front of the DS screen.

"Man! Those glasses!" Fils-Aime exclaimed in mock horror during Nintendo's press conference at the Nokia Theatre. "Don't be surprised to pay a hefty amount for those glasses. And for everyone in the room!"

The 3DS is similar to the current DS, except the top 3.5-inch screen will display 3-D images, while the bottom display is a touch screen. Equipped with three cameras (two on the outside casing), the DS lets players take 3-D pictures and share them with other 3DS owners.

It begins...

painey

Shard said:
Don't really have any desire to watch any kind of movie on a 3.5 inch screen.

Agreed. Can't really see this taking off, especially as movies are long and DS is suited for short bursts.

FoneBone

Shard said:
Yeah, but judging by iTunes, plenty of people think otherwise. Smart, smart move by Nintendo -- no doubt other studios will follow suit.

stuminus3

I see people watching movies on PSPs and laptops on the train all the time (I've got a fairly long commute), so this could actually be a big deal.

If the price is right, I'd love to see some 3D movies on a small screen, just because I won't have any other HDTV alternative for years.

Medalion

Banned
3DS is meant to compete against the iPhone so this kind of idea is not surprising. It just means portable video, and now with dual cameras on the 3DS could we take 3D pics and possibly even 3D video?

stuminus3 said:
I see people watching movies on PSPs and laptops on the train all the time (I've got a fairly long commute), so this could actually be a big deal.
Uh... first consumer portable device ever to display 3D movies? Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty big deal.

LM4sure

Banned
stuminus3 said:

Yeah, same here. A lot of people watch movies on these devices. This is pretty awesome. I'm excited for this.

The only bizarre part is that Nintendo apparently couldn't convince Fox to sign on. It's not how I would want to watch it, but Avatar on a 3DS cart would be a killer app for a lot of people.

Medalion said:
3DS is meant to compete against the iPhone so this kind of idea is not surprising. It just means portable video, and now with dual cameras on the 3DS could we take 3D pics and possibly even 3D video?

the pictures alone... man just imagine the possibilities :D

but 3d video camera ... wow

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I will only give a shit if I can download the content to a computer, store it there, and sync it later to the handheld and that content will work on multiple handhelds.

I'm not buying a 21st century version of those GBA video carts, that's ridiculous.

FoneBone said:
Yeah, but judging by iTunes, plenty of people think otherwise. Smart, smart move by Nintendo -- no doubt other studios will follow suit.

wait untild 3d sitcoms etc...

i used to be against the idea of portable video on a small screen, but now i have a 1 hour conmute on train and i totally changed my mind

I will only give a shit if I can download the content to a computer, store it there, and sync it later to the handheld and that content will work on multiple handhelds.

I'm not buying a 21st century version of those GBA video carts, that's ridiculous.

so true but so far there is no another 3d device isnt it?

soco

i thought he said in the press conference that they weren't announcing any specific agreements, but just at the booth, those would be the available ones?

did i mishear that?

Until I buy a 3DTV (and I probably won't until the technology involves no sungoggles), I won't be able to watch 3D movies at home any way else. I bet this will be unfortunately expensive but I can definitely see this catching on as many are probably in the same situation.

soco said:
i thought he said in the press conference that they weren't announcing any specific agreements, but just at the booth, those would be the available ones?

did i mishear that?

i heard the same , it seems like they wanted a fast paced conference

i expect that nintendo will keep delivering

nyprimus2 said:
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

i bet nintendo is smart enough to let that 3d movies to be just a sidekick for its device

they will never make it center piece of their machine

but think about disney etc

lots of kids use the ds ... ut has 3d tech... 3d trailers!

Nuclear Muffin said:
I bet that the 3DS will be far more successful in pushing 3D than the PS3 will be (and no, I am not joking)

Agreed but it's a bit premature to claim the 3DS will spearhead a 3D movement without knowing the pricing of both the handheld and the movies. 3DTV adoption will definitely stunt the 3D-related growth spurred by the PS3 though.

Cynar

3d without the glasses to watch a 3d movie? I'm going to bite for How to train your dragon. That movie was awesome :p

Zzoram

How will this work? Will they sell it over the 3DSWare store? Will it come in cartridges? Will there be a 3DS digital version included in the Blu-ray+DVD+Digital combo packs for these movies?

WillyFive

Zzoram said:
How will this work? Will they sell it over the 3DSWare store? Will it come in cartridges? Will there be a 3DS digital version included in the Blu-ray+DVD+Digital combo packs for these movies?

Who knows. It's the future!

Shard said:

You are not taking into account that rare possibility that it might actually look better (?) on that 3D screen.

Rich!

Very happy about this.

If only I had a 3DS for when I go on holiday in a couple of weeks. :lol It'd make the journey ten times better.

Zzoram

Willy105 said:
Who knows. It's the future!

You are not taking into account that rare possibility that it might actually look better (?) on that 3D screen.

I think including a 3DS version in the Blu-ray+DVD+Digital combo packs is the best idea. The digital version included gives you the option of Windows Media or iTunes formats. They could just add a 3rd format, 3DS format, and let you transfer it over wifi or USB to the 3DS.

dude

dude
This could be pretty big. I mean, this is going to be the only way to play 3D movies for relatively cheap for a while.

But I can see Nintendo screwing this up by selling these movies on carts.

Taker666

The question, are these movie downloadable?

if this is Cart based, then it's already has an uphill battle.

I don't know about that. The vast majority of 3D films are for kids...I don't think they'll care about such things.

I think big name 3D films on a cart with a $19.95 pricepoint ..would be snapped up.

I think most 3DS owners would pick up two or three. I bet the tie ratio of something like Avatar would be massive. I'd buy that on a cart for as much as $29.95....I bet a lot of people would

...although the fact Avatar wasn't shown ...makes me wonder if some studios might be fearful of this tech taking off..when they are trying to push Blu-Ray.

dude said:
This could be pretty big. I mean, this is going to be the only way to play 3D movies for relatively cheap for a while.

But I can see Nintendo screwing this up by selling these movies on carts.
This finally presents an opportunity to put the SD card slot to some actual use!

This is the most no duh thing ever. Millions of people will have this as their only 3d screen. It would be dumb NOT to make this move.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Stumpokapow said:

Movies on DS carts :lol

Taker666 said:
...although the fact Avatar wasn't shown ...makes me wonder if some studios might be fearful of this tech taking off..when they are trying to push Blu-Ray.
Well that and the Avatar 3D Blu-Ray won't even be out for a while.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Medalion said:
These 3DS carts are like 2GB's supposedly, the movies themselves will be smaller scale resolution, so it is conceivable for it to work.

No no no. What's the point on paying for a movie that can only be played on one 3" device. It won't work, not in this day and age of downloadable media.

If they are going download they should partner with Amazon. Amazon offers video on demand, but look at the list of potable devices they support http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...f_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=489870131&pf_rd_i=16261631
Really could use some more popular players there. I doubt amazon currently offers 3D movies but they could put up a special 3DS section or something

I have a couple of movies from Amazon from when I had a creative zen, always like the service and prices

Celsior

Medalion said:
These 3DS carts are like 2GB's supposedly, the movies themselves will be smaller scale resolution, so it is conceivable for it to work.
I don't see why the can't be on digital downloads.
I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded DSIware onto the 3DS with movies, games and even music. I assume the DSi was just to test the waters and we might even see the handheld virtual console of GBA and down with the power this has.

curls said:
No no no. What's the point on paying for a movie that can only be played on one 3" device. It won't work, not in this day and age of downloadable media.
I imagine it could work for youngsters without credit cards. The same market that the GBA video carts were aimed at.

Lan_97

I will be interested once they get clearanced out for $5 a piece (like psp). Or, if available digitally and playable on multiple devices (in 2d). Whichever comes first.

Banned
Taker666 said:
I don't know about that. The vast majority of 3D films are for kids...I don't think they'll care about such things.

I think big name 3D films on a cart with a $19.95 pricepoint ..would be snapped up.

I think most 3DS owners would pick up two or three. I bet the tie ratio of something like Avatar would be massive. I'd buy that on a cart for as much as $29.95....I bet a lot of people would

If your a kid, and you have a choice between downloading a movie for 10-15 bucks on itunes, or better yet renting it for 5 bucks over itunes

or

travel to store, buy movie for a set price and add another thing to carry in your pocket.

The market is moving digital, Nintendo has to as well.

Top Bottom