• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3: 80% of the car models in Gran Turismo 5 are not "Premium" models

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
Let's stick with anything official. I trust your discretion here. The goal is just not to have any interesting content be lost in a huge thread.

Because Y2Kev said to post a new thread if interesting information came out, and holy shit is this interesting.

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5247p1.html

Gran Turismo 5 will feature over 1000 cars, the most ever in the series. It’s a collection of the hottest and most desirable cars from around the world, both past and present.

There are two tiers of cars in Gran Turismo 5--Premium cars and Standard cars. The differences between the two are as follows:

PREMIUM CARS said:
From the seductive curves of exotic sports cars, to the inviting sight of the road ahead when you slide into the driver’s seat and peer past the glass, down to the intricately detailed instrument panel and dashboard... Every one of the over 200 premium cars recreate every last detail of the car, inside and out.

Gran Turismo 5 contains over 200 of these "Premium" level cars.

STANDARD CARS said:
The massive lineup of cars from past Gran Turismo games has been beautifully recreated through the latest technology and the Playstation 3’s cutting-edge graphics.

Gran Turismo 5 feature an astounding 800+ cars, a vast collection covering a wide range of eras and categories.

Video: http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/gallery/d5258.html
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8v7hjaSr6c&feature=player_embedded

Screencap of standard car taken from the video:
KCOCw.jpg

It seems they are using PS2 assets for the standard cars.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
QQ MORE JETT!!

Anyway, theres no chance GT5 lives up to the hype.
Yup those cars have texture as lights?

BeeDog

Utterly laughable, and I hope all the bummed out GT fans' tears will hit Kaz in the face like a 20 ton truck. I bet he's gonna be completely clueless when (or rather, if) someone confronts him and explains why a lot of people are disappointed with this fact.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Well... since KZ3 is KZ2.5 and GOW3 is GOW2.5 it does make sense.

Empty

what. how can that be the case given how long the game has been in development. besides, i thought polyphony were meant to be perfectionists. is this confirmed?

Amir0x

Banned
All these years of development... and this is it?

Not acceptable. Gran Turismo 5 is one of my most anticipated games ever and this actually knocks it down a notch

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know what's happened to this game, it's taken forever and it's utterly underwhelming. Sony payed what? 70M$ for this?

1-D_FTW

I'm not into the drama, but have they released the car list? For example are the good cars you'd actually drive in the Premium 200, and the Honda Civics and Geo Metros in the standard?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thank you for making the new thread.

I still don't think the standard cars really look bad. But, at the same time, it does kinda make you wonder what Kaz was smoking. He said from the very beginning he wanted to create a "museum" for cars or a car encyclopedia. With the premium cars, he pretty clearly did that. But there's just no time to do that for 1,000 cars.

On the plus side, and perhaps most realistically, you use 10 or 20 cars in a racing game like this anyway. So it makes sense to go nuts on 200 cars, as that is a fine selection. These cars are also going to be very future proof. They are ready to go basically on PS4.

On the negative side, it's disappointing, sure. And you never want to see old models with new models, and they don't have the same type of deformation and detailing.

So I'm split. Since Polyphony has decided they will not outsource and they have set their priorities in such a fashion, I understand why they made their decision. Looking at the rest of the game, it's pretty clear why it is the way it is. Everything else is pretty finely detailed.

They have a lot to show for 5 years. I don't understand the idea that they have been jerking off in their offices. Look at how the 200 cars are modeled. They modeled interior seat belts.

Xater

Amir0x said:
All these years of development... and this is it?

Not acceptable. Gran Turismo 5 is one of my most anticipated games ever and this actually knocks it down a notch

Well this is what happens when people have the wrong priorities.

LCfiner

I can only get upset at this if those 200 premium cars only covers supercars and not a range of consumer cars.

half the fun of GT is driving mid range cars. there better be lots of premium cars that aren’t supercars.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So what's the difference between premium and standard cars? I can't see anything different in those quotes

C-Jo

That shot of the Audi sure is a kick in the dick, but they actually still look pretty good in that video.

BeeDog

Polari said:
Couldn't they have just outsourced a whole lot of the modelling?

The dolts at PD decided to do everything in-house for some backwards reason. Probably wanted to have total control of every modelled nut or bolt that an average Joe gamer will never see anyhow.

theultimo

Gt 5 has dlc right? I have a feeling the premium cars will be a part of it. Start with 200, maybe a 100 car bundle to make standard cars premium. It is a clever way to nickel and dime.

Mobius 1

LCfiner said:
I can only get upset at this if those 200 premium cars only covers supercars and not a range of consumer cars.

half the fun of GT is driving mid range cars. there better be lots of premium cars that aren’t supercars.

There will be consumer cars, as many were already available in GT5 Prologue as premium cars.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They're not uprezed PS2 models. They would at the very least have to retexture them to support paint deformation. They may be PS2 wireframes.

Redbeard

Banned
Who honestly has time, or cares about, racing nearly a thousand cars? It's cool that they allow it in there for people that just like to collect things, but 99% of the people will only stick to a few basic cars.

I don't see the big deal

I remember reading it can take up to several weeks creating a car so I'm not surprised by the figures. But I think what most will be confused by is how the development period can reflect only 200 cars

distrbnce

Banned
Will this deter a single person from buying it? I doubt it. 200 insanely modeled cars is a lot to ask for. 800 more is 800 (!) more.

Other games have like 400 right?

slider

StuBurns said:
I don't know what's happened to this game, it's taken forever and it's utterly underwhelming. Sony payed what? 70M$ for this?

That's a bit rash young man.

That said I've never been an avid collector of cars in GT. I'll have five models maximum in my garage.

But yeah, eyebrows raised on what they've been doing all this time (and if they did explain I wouldn't understand anyway so take that statement in the spirit it's meant).

I like how everyone ignores all the time they spent on other features like day/night cycles, full feature online, and improved physics engine just to name a few.

Top Bottom