• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled games from this generation that could have made a huge impact

What games that have been cancelled(like project offset) or obvious vapourware(like wardevil) could have been real game changers?

The other day I was replaying uncharted 1 and I was reminded of eight days
DJ4NK.jpg

who can forget this trailer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmx7mBd53KM&feature=related

here's what the actual game looked like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eSoOZFyTmI&feature=related

The game was planned to be a downloadable episodic release. Just imagine what uncharted or uncharted 2 would have been like with this game setting the animation and cover system standard. Right now people are making a big deal out of Mikami's new game and how you can slide into cover but the guys behind eight days already had that in the works. I'm not sure why the hell this was cancelled, my guess is that it had something to do with helping Guerilla games out.

The only canceled games I can remember besides Project Offset (technically last gen?) is that one 360 game that was showed off in '05 where you're character wore yellow glasses and was in a city. Always seemed pretty cool.

As for last gen, I really think True Fantasy Live Online and B.C. would have given us some awesome sequels for this gen.

6 Days in Fallujah. I think it could have had the potential to be an important game, kind of the video game equivalent of Black Hawk Down or The Hurt Locker. I guess we'll never know.

Neuromancer said:
6 Days in Fallujah. I think it could have had the potential to be an important game, kind of the video game equivalent of Black Hawk Down or The Hurt Locker. I guess we'll never know.
I think the controversy was WAY overblown. It's a videogame. People need to calm the fuck down.

Beth Cyra

Solsc said:
Sadness for the Wii, it looked promising.

Really? I thought it was widely speculated that the "Game" wasn't even a game and only a couple pic's of Art?

If so I don't think we can really say something that never actually existed is a big loss.

PhiLonius

Eight Days was actually the game I thought about when I read the thread title. That tech demo for the cover system always looked pretty cool to me.

Solsc

TruePrime said:
Really? I thought it was widely speculated that the "Game" wasn't even a game and only a couple pic's of Art?

If so I don't think we can really say something that never actually existed is a big loss.
I thought the concept was interesting. I was excited for it when it was announced. That and Project HAMMER, Im not sure what happened to that either.

DiscoJer

Aliens RPG. While not as big as Star Wars, the Aliens franchise was pretty big at least back in the day. A competently done one would have been huge.

I knew this thread was going to be about 8 days or the Getaway... for me it would be DNF. People had waited so long, so much work went into it. It's a shame they couldn't pull it together.

LegendofJoe said:
I remember being really excited for Metronome, but I can totally see why it was shelved.

I was looking forward to it as well. I think they were some students? Guys doing it in their spare time? It's hard to keep momentum up. Didn't Sony sign some deal with them? Maybe it's Metronome.

Ploid 3.0

The Getaway, after GTA4 having a Getaway world in HD with better tech would have been awesome. The world in the PS2 getaway was pretty awesome technically. You could be in a chase outside then walk into detailed buildings without loading iirc. And they were big interiors. Saints Row 2 (didn't play 1) have big interiors as well but with Getaway being for one system I think it would have been pushed further technically. Too bad they aren't making a open world game, I want to see sony first party tackle it. Just cause 2 is amazing in the open world department at the moment, it don't have big interiors though.

Shurs

I don't think it would have made a huge impact, but I'd like to have played Free Radical's Star Wars: Battlefront 3.

ILikeFeet said:
Did that ever even existed outside rumours? :lol
I think the story goes that it was being made by the same guys who released Perfect Dark HD on XBLA. Microsoft tried to work out a deal with Nintendo to let them release the game in exchange for some Rare owned titles for the Virtual Console or something. The whole thing got shot down by Nintendo, bottom line.

ILikeFeet

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
I think the story goes that it was being made by the same guys who released Perfect Dark HD on XBLA. Microsoft tried to work out a deal with Nintendo to let them release the game in exchange for some Rare owned titles for the Virtual Console or something. The whole thing got shot down by Nintendo, bottom line.
I heard something different. Rare owned all assets not including characters but they couldn't get the characters for it. Or something. Point is, this isn't Nintendo's decision to make (for the most part).

Top Bottom