• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has gotta have the worst customer service

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Steam probably has the best policies despite Gabe controlling most of PC gaming. You'd think he'd put a greedy hammer down at some point and clamp down on refunds. But isnt their policy something like you can refund it within 2 hours of gaming?
Steam didn't have refunds, it was origin and uplay that pioneered that on PC and then steam followed their example; uplay started the 2 hours/14 days rule that most other stores follow, ea still has it's original 24 hours after booting/14 days no booting rule (which means you can technically finish a short game and then refund it).

Last edited:

Leonidas

I only had one return on PSN, went well. I bought a bunch of "exclusives" that I thought might show up on PC later (I think they all did) and they refunded all of them (I ordered them all at the same time).

That was back in 2019. I haven't had to return anything since (though I've only bought like 2 things since then...)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Steam didn't have refunds, it was origin and uplay that pioneered that on PC and then steam followed their example; uplay started the 2 hours/14 days rule that most other stores follow, ea still has it's original 24 hours after booting/14 days no booting rule (which means you can technically finish a short game and then refund it).
Good to know. I googled it and it says steam added refunds in 2015. Going by the rhetoric about Steam refunds, I thought was going on for longer and Gabe started it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Why won't OP tell what game bundle it was? Yeah Sony's cs is awful. Pretty much known at this point. But either OP has a weird hobby of hating on Sony cs or he bought some gay embarrassing weeb shit.
Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

I've said it before in another ops post, if he's real and not a troll, he's depressed and needs to do something other than gaming. These are just the topics he's created in last 6 months alone, the replies are not much better. Nothing against some of the opinions, but everything the guy posts is depressing or just a rehash of something he's posted before

Seek help. Honestly

Sony has gotta have the worst customer service - today

It's amazing how bad Sony is when it comes to PS Store refunds - just 5 days ago barely

How do you feel about the Ratchet and Clank franchise? - Jan 5th, he was disappointed

What are your thoughts on the Destiny series? - Jan 4th, he was disappointed

Forza Motorsport is definitely my biggest disappointment of the year - Dec 31st

Do you think forums died off because they became too toxic? - Dec 16th

Shadow Man Remastered made me realize how some of these remasters are better left in the past - Dec 13th

It seems like gaming can become a job if you become too dedicated - Dec 9th

Feels like forums have really been on their way down lately - Oct 19th

Anyone else feel like gaming has sort of plateaued? - Oct 15th

I think Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass is a really mediocre deal - Oct 14th

Missions in modern Rockstar games feel more like acting than anything else - Oct 8th

Anyone else tired of all the live services and unfinished games? - Sept 22nd

It's getting really hard to feel enthusiastic for the new Forza Motorsport - Aug 14th

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I think games in general should be more celebrated than bitched over, but these threads look (sadly) like they blend perfectly in with the typical forum topics.

However, I do agree it's weird that op made such similar threads in a short timespan.

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
What is with all the people trying to make a federal case out of the DLC I bought? Didn't think such specific details would be such a big factor that would have anything to do with what I have been complaining about lol, but by popular request it's the MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: DLC Upgrade Bundle:

As you can see it shares the same exact name as a DLC bundle for Steam that clearly indicated what is included (per Steam standards):

Yeah the price is different, but I figured maybe it's just some sale special that didn't have it's discount indicated considering how the game and all the rest of the DLC is presently on sale, and it's also a new release DLC bundle that just released on 1/14/2024 on the PS Store.

They apparently just recently updated the deception to tell you how it only includes the two DLC's, but at the time I bought it, it only had the first paragraph (which only adds to the issue IMO, it's like they admit how it was poorly described at the time of purchase). It literally simply stated:

Upgrade your MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries experience with the MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: DLC Upgrade Bundle. Follow the main story line and explore the entire Inner Sphere filled with Missions to complete and Mechs and Equipment to acquire. Each DLC expands your experience with new 'Mechs, Missions, Modes and More!

That was it. Nothing more, and considering how it is literally sharing the same name as the Steam DLC it was easy for me to assume it had more to it. I mean I guess I only lost about $7.50 on it, but the whole idea behind how it was sold at the time is just annoying.

All this said, I don't think this really has anything to do with my complaints right now. I bought the game at the same time, never even downloaded it, and requested the refund the same day I bought it, so really, my outrage is centered entirely upon the state of Sony's customer support and they way they treat their customers. That is basically why I thought this wasn't even worth bringing up, the DLC bundle I bought is just a trivial matter, but the way they go about refunds is easily the worst I have encountered in the gaming industry.

jayj

Banned
What does the topics I make have to do with anything? You seriously trying to act like I should only be posting certain type of content on this forum that you approve of or something? So sorry that my discussions apparently don't meet your desired criteria, but then again it's what I want to discuss so if you have a problem with that just ignore them. Yeah, I probably go here to vent/discuss issues related to gaming that are on my mind when I create a topic, but what do you want from me? Just to post positive things and praise video games you like or something? Grow up, people can discuss things that they see as problematic, it's a part of being an adult and having something to say. If I want to praise something I'll just leave a review, I go to forums for discissions, and most attempts at serious discussions are started with a form of criticism or some personal insight. When as the last time you read a news article worth reading or discussing that simply praised something? If there are no critiques, what is there to discuss?

Last edited:

ahtlas7

I don’t know. I have had no problem dealing with Sony in the past.
Now Meta is down right shit. They cannot even remove coupons from your account so you can apply higher % ones. There is a 10% Pavlov coupon on my account while a friend sent a 25% referral code to me that I can’t apply because the 10% code blocks it. Customer service can’t even remove the 10. I have to wait until the coupon expires.

Did only have to contact Sony twice. Both times got my issues resolved.
I think in Sony's case they made it abundandly clear that they don't like gamers that don't know what they want, so you better be sure to not ever want a refund. Just don't buy it there, if you are a little bit uncertain.
Is their stance ideal for customers? Certainly not. Should it be required by law to allow refunds? Probably already sorta is, in the EU at least, but no one ever went to court with it, to force Sony's "we don't care about bugged games that slipped through our certification process" policy to be softened.

Overall kinda good experience also with my only other video game company customer service experience I had. With Relic Entertainment. Someone has probably stolen my key via a key generator, overriding the DRM, or whatever. I contacted the support mail that was given by the error message. Those dumbasses said I should contact some other mail address for my country, instead of forwarding it themselves and pointlessly playing tennis with my problem. Stupid, but in the end I was given new keys and could unlock my purchase.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

While OP seems to perhaps have an agenda here, I don't disagree that the customer service and refund policy of Sony are garbage.

I remember the whole No Man's Sky debacle. I didn't even mind the missing content at the launch but the game was constantly crashing. First time ever contacting Sony and when I finally talked to someone they were basically "Look sir, I'm going to refund this as a one time courtesy but don't ever fucking try this again" after proclaiming for minutes that refunds just can't happen.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Usually I take these threads with a grain of salt but as someone who has dealt with PSN customer service before, yes, it's abysmal and appalling.

From a business standpoint though, it doesn't matter. You're not gonna switch to Xbox over PSN customer service. That attitude won't change until Sony starts losing.

MonkD

Don't see how anyone can defend Playstation when it comes to their store. Why don't they at least adopt the Steam-way of discounting bundles when you already own parts of it?

The most recent thing they did in order to stop you from buying content that you already own was by blocking it completely., but you'd still get cucked. I was unable to purchase the Street Fighter 5 Championship Upgrade(or whatever it was called) because I already owned parts of it, but buying it individually was more expensive than just upgrading. And can we please ban soundtracks and artbooks from the store, who uses a console for that type of content?

Mr Moose

You already made this thread and then dipped when asked what DLC it was.
Oh, you told us in this one...
What is with all the people trying to make a federal case out of the DLC I bought? Didn't think such specific details would be such a big factor that would have anything to do with what I have been complaining about lol, but by popular request it's the MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: DLC Upgrade Bundle:

As you can see it shares the same exact name as a DLC bundle for Steam that clearly indicated what is included (per Steam standards):

Yeah the price is different, but I figured maybe it's just some sale special that didn't have it's discount indicated considering how the game and all the rest of the DLC is presently on sale, and it's also a new release DLC bundle that just released on 1/14/2024 on the PS Store.

They apparently just recently updated the deception to tell you how it only includes the two DLC's, but at the time I bought it, it only had the first paragraph (which only adds to the issue IMO, it's like they admit how it was poorly described at the time of purchase). It literally simply stated:

Upgrade your MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries experience with the MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: DLC Upgrade Bundle. Follow the main story line and explore the entire Inner Sphere filled with Missions to complete and Mechs and Equipment to acquire. Each DLC expands your experience with new 'Mechs, Missions, Modes and More!

That was it. Nothing more, and considering how it is literally sharing the same name as the Steam DLC it was easy for me to assume it had more to it. I mean I guess I only lost about $7.50 on it, but the whole idea behind how it was sold at the time is just annoying.

All this said, I don't think this really has anything to do with my complaints right now. I bought the game at the same time, never even downloaded it, and requested the refund the same day I bought it, so really, my outrage is centered entirely upon the state of Sony's customer support and they way they treat their customers. That is basically why I thought this wasn't even worth bringing up, the DLC bundle I bought is just a trivial matter, but the way they go about refunds is easily the worst I have encountered in the gaming industry.
That's a lot of text to tell us you can't read.
MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: DLC Upgrade Bundle includes Call to Arms & Rise of Rasalhague only.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
So almost a week ago tried to get a refund on a digital purchase that was so poorly described it led me to believe it had content it didn't have. Everyone else shows you what is included with digital packages, Nintendo, Xbox, Steam, ect, you can always see exactly what is included with the bundle, but not on Playstation, you have to rely entirely upon the description. Anyways, after waiting over a half hour to chat with some customer service agent to request my refund, after I already had to wait until business hours to even attempt to chat with them, they told me that it would take up to 5 days to process a request for refund and that I would receive an email. Well 6 days later I finally got that email, and here it is:

Hi (my name),

Thank you for contacting PlayStation Support.

As outlined in our PlayStation Store Cancellation Policy, in addition to your rights relating to faulty goods, you can change your mind and cancel your digital content purchase for 14-days after the transaction date so long as it has not been downloaded or consumed.

After investigating your request, we have identified that the content you have requested a refund for does not qualify under our Cancellation Policy, either because it was purchased more than 14 days ago or because it has been downloaded or consumed within 14 days from purchase. Therefore, we are unable to offer you a refund for this purchase.

I understand this is not the outcome you were hoping for, however you can read more about our Cancellation Policy here: https://www.playstation.com/legal/playstation-store-cancellation-policy

Please reference your case # ******* if you need to contact us about this again.

Thanks,
The PlayStation Support Team

Now keep in mind how it A: hasn't been over 14 days, I sent the request the same day I bought it, and B: I haven't even downloaded the content or the game that I got it for, with absolutely no playtime, trophies, or anything. So they blatantly lie to me about why they're denying me a refund, and just send me a canned response that honestly feels like a slap in the face and an insult to my intelligence. Yeah, I might be able to escalate this further, but honestly, I am treating this as a lesson on how Sony apparently has the worst customer service in the business, and why I should just generally avoid doing further business with them whenever possible. Thought I should at least share this experience so others can see how they treat their customers, and this is only the second time I have ever requested a refund for a game despite having bought digital content from them since the PS3 era.
They need to improve significantly. I forgot to cancel ps plus and ps plus was charged to me for 1 year. I then called the next day and asked for it to be cancelled because I didn't need it. And the hotline guy then said, because it was my first time. We will do it, but if it happens again I don't even need to call. Since they would only do it once. Never experienced such shit, no matter where I cancelled.

jayj

Banned
While OP seems to perhaps have an agenda here, I don't disagree that the customer service and refund policy of Sony are garbage.

I remember the whole No Man's Sky debacle. I didn't even mind the missing content at the launch but the game was constantly crashing. First time ever contacting Sony and when I finally talked to someone they were basically "Look sir, I'm going to refund this as a one time courtesy but don't ever fucking try this again" after proclaiming for minutes that refunds just can't happen.
Not sure what my agenda would be, I was quite critical of the new Forza Motorsport in the past so it's not like I am only critical of things related to Sony around here lol. I have plenty of positive things to say, I just usually don't feel like creating a discussion about it when I can just leave a simple comment like that in an ongoing discussion about the same topic. If I'm creating discussions, naturally it's going to be something constructed as a topic worth debating, drawing attention to, or seeking other opinions on.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Not sure what my agenda would be, I was quite critical of the new Forza Motorsport in the past so it's not like I am only critical of things related to Sony around here lol. I have plenty of positive things to say, I just usually don't feel like creating a discussion about it when I can just leave a simple comment like that in an ongoing discussion about the same topic. If I'm creating discussions, naturally it's going to be something constructed as a topic worth debating, drawing attention to, or seeking other opinions on.

My apologies for being a bit snarky. It is certainly a worthwhile discussion to highlight their poor policies.

killatopak

Never had to deal with them due to being mostly physical but I heard a lot of awful stuff around their CS which is why I have little motivation to deal with them. I’m sure I’ll post a thread as well if it ever came to pass but I try to research what I tend to buy from them digitally to avoid this issue.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Ubisoft didn’t pioneer refunds, EA did. It was basically a love it or we’ll give you your money back in 24hrs. Not a bad policy although only full games were refundable.
Here’s an article from 2015 comparing refund policies - Uplay didnt have a refund system in place.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

OP, you had/have my empathy. Sony needs to be addressing their awful refund policy for sure. But I just noticed this is your second thread on this topic. Couldn't you just have added this to the original thread you started not so long ago? You end up undermining your stance/take/experience. And really this is something with Sony I'd love to see get the correct attention.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
jayj jayj you dishonored Sony customer service not once, but twice. The Avengers have marked you now and the forum authorities have been notified. Complaining about Forza really saved you there. If I were you I'd go to the Indiana Jones thread and mention that it should be 3rd person and that the devs are scared, just to be on the safe side.

I had to deal with PlayStation support only three times. It went surprisingly well the first time, I got everything resolved in an hour or two.

The second time and third were horrendous. I don't remember the specifics but it was during the PS3 era and it was about Uncharted 3 map packs or something. It took me 2 weeks and God-knows how many support tickets to get it done. I got a refund for one of the things and a code to other thing I had purchased but it said the transaction didn't went through when I had all the receipts and purchase history for said items.

Sony CS is trash compared to Steam or even Microsoft.

King Dazzar

Why won't OP tell what game bundle it was? Yeah Sony's cs is awful. Pretty much known at this point. But either OP has a weird hobby of hating on Sony cs or he bought some gay embarrassing weeb shit.
We all know it was My Little Pony. Though its superb, so I'm not sure why he needs the refund...

StereoVsn

Wasn’t there a ruling in EU or a lawsuit back then and Valve just added that stuff world wide?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Yeah, that description is pretty vague. I know Xbox lists bundle contents and exactly what is included. Never had any issue with DLC purchases there (except I can't figure out which DLC/ expansion to get in Midnight Suns in order to get all remaining characters and missions).

Mr Moose

Yeah, that description is pretty vague.
Yes, pretty vague.

MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: DLC Upgrade Bundle includes Call to Arms & Rise of Rasalhague only.

Yup, a couple weeks ago i was using my ps5 controller on my pc but it was still somehow linked to my ps5 and I accidentally bought the anniversary edition of skyrim (since i was in the opening menu for whatever reason)

Didnt even try to fight it. Ive fought with sony before and this woudlve been a painful indever for a $20 refund. At that point i was just like fuck it, live and learn.
I bought the Anniversary Upgrade on Steam. I discovered you must login to Bethesda to download or even use the Anniversary content. I don’t have nor want a Bethesda account, so I submitted a refund request. Keep in mind that I have not played the game, nor even installed the content at this point. My refund was refused.

I double-check the rules regarding refunds of DLC, and none apply to me, so I submit another refund request. It’s denied. I check Valve’s FAQ for the appeal process, and it says to just submit another request, so I submit another request explicitly describing how my request is valid. It’s denied again. I gave up.

Just as with Sony, this makes me very hesitant to buy digital games from Steam.

I think I see the rationale behind this DLC. All of the other DLC has been available since launch day. This is the ”DLC upgrade bundle”, intended to bring players up to date with the DLC launched since then.

It still a shitty thing to do, but at least it kind of makes sense.

Topher

Gold Member

Wasn't so hard, now was it? You could have just answered the first time.

Last edited:

Generic

One of my biggest paranoias is getting my account hacked (despite having 2fa on) and not being able to get it back due to their service support.

Last edited:
Yeah, customer support is one area where Sony really blows. The fact that they won't refund you after simply downloading a game and not even playing it is fucking scummy.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Sony's customer service sucks.

OP can't read and is the fuck up in the current situation.

Doesn't diminish Sony's overall shit customer service.

Doesn't absolve OP for being illiterate.

Is there anything else to add?

Generic

Don't see how anyone can defend Playstation when it comes to their store. Why don't they at least adopt the Steam-way of discounting bundles when you already own parts of it?

The most recent thing they did in order to stop you from buying content that you already own was by blocking it completely., but you'd still get cucked. I was unable to purchase the Street Fighter 5 Championship Upgrade(or whatever it was called) because I already owned parts of it, but buying it individually was more expensive than just upgrading. And can we please ban soundtracks and artbooks from the store, who uses a console for that type of content?
For some reason I can't buy Devil May Cry Collection on the PS4. I wonder it's because I already have the game on PS3.

graywolf323

I had something similar happen with the Borderlands upgrade pack they released recently, on PSN it was $30 and the description really made it sound like you got PS5 versions of everything

ends up you didn’t, I spent $30 when the only things I was missing were the New Tales from Borderlands and I forget but it was one other thing, I would have saved money picking them up on sale (also the individual games that I didn’t already own don’t show as owned in the store but do appear in my library so there’s nothing preventing me from forgetting I already have them and accidentally rebuying them on sale in the future)

I tried to get a refund but despite the fact I hadn’t even downloaded anything from the ‘bundle’ they wouldn’t let me because I had downloaded the games I already owned in the past 🙄

I think more stores need to copy Steam’s approach to bundles though where it’s just individual games packed together & they’ll discount you for what you already own (that same bundle cost me $4 on Steam…)

edit: another stupid thing the store does is you can’t buy the digital deluxe version of a game you tried via PS+, like I tried out Returnal that way but if I want to buy & support the game? no can do, the store thinks I own it & there’s not even an add-on to let you at least buy the digital deluxe extras 🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

*Nightwing

Just anecdotal reference but I recently found out Sony PlayStation customer service is outsourced to Foundever based out of Las Vegas.

A global call center outsourcing company that focuses on making money by being appealing to companies by doing their best to never give the customer anything, and since they get paid on a bulk call amount basis, they want to get the customer off the phone as quickly as possible to bill Sony for the next call.

Almost as if Sony purposefully chose the worst and cheapest company to outsource their customer service to in the industry.

They need to improve significantly. I forgot to cancel ps plus and ps plus was charged to me for 1 year. I then called the next day and asked for it to be cancelled because I didn't need it. And the hotline guy then said, because it was my first time. We will do it, but if it happens again I don't even need to call. Since they would only do it once. Never experienced such shit, no matter where I cancelled.
You forgot to cancel? And how is the service shit when they still did resolve it without actually much hassle?
In what way could they possibly improve about your shit performance as an ignorant customer, while doing everything perfectly fine, correcting your lazy ass oversights? Some people are just entitled to the brim. smh

I’ve had a few experiences with them, that ranked from bad to fucking awful, not going to bother to go into it and explain all of them but one I will, I had a warranty on my DS4 and when I sent it in, they returned a replacement which had different issues that didn’t work, it had more issues than the one I sent in, so I sent it back, then I received another that also had issues, left thumb stick wouldn’t click in, not only that but it was cosmetically damaged and wasn’t cleaned, had visible grime in between the cracks and on the thumb sticks, finally after that one they sent me a proper working one, but all of this took like six weeks. They also need to do something about that fucking return policy, it’s dog shit.

Top Bottom