• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: "Strange Bug" causing PS5 owners lose access to hundreds of games as digital purchases wiped from their accounts

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any Gaffers effected by this?

The bug is affecting PlayStation 4 and 5, and PS Vita, and fans are certainly not happy about it.

At least 50 PlayStation owners have reported that their digital games are going missing.

One affected by the bug went on Reddit to explain what’s going on and vent their frustration that they can no longer can access some of their games, in a post that has attracted others with the same problem.

‘For the last few months, there has been a bug impacting a relatively small amount of PlayStation Network users, in which all digital licences (including purchased games and titles added to one’s library via PlayStation Plus) become decoupled from your transaction history which shows you purchased those things,’ Dsuds said in their post.

The bug wipes games from your account, and to make it worse Dsuds adds that if you’re affected by the bug you can’t re-download the missing games, as your PlayStation account won’t let you.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
First tier support at PlayStation are always the dudes who took the job because it’s “video game” related. They aren’t exactly going to fix it long term for everyone. It does make me wonder who the engineers are at Sony and how dedicated PlayStation is at looking into these kinds of things. Would they have to freelance a guy to fix these issues?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
First tier support at PlayStation are always the dudes who took the job because it’s “video game” related. They aren’t exactly going to fix it long term for everyone. It does make me wonder who the engineers are at Sony and how dedicated PlayStation is at looking into these kinds of things. Would they have to freelance a guy to fix these issues?

As someone whose worked in that kind of work before, first tier doesn't know shit lol, they're only there to address superficial concerns, anything noteworthy is escalated forward anyway.

Is there an easy way to check my PS library using my phone? I no longer have a PS5. :(
I was hoping to pick up a Pro model eventually and transfer the library then.
Is this one of those things where if you don't log in for a certain amount of time our account is deleted?

Edit-looks like everything from the PS5 buys and the VR games I bought are still in the library. No way to sort out the PS+ games which are listed in the 'buy' section. I think I'm good.
I thought I had let the PS+ subscription lapse but it seems I'm paid up till July.

Last edited:

skit_data

Sometimes games disappear from my library temporarily. Restoring licenses usually fix that. I can't see anything bout that skimming through the article, so I wouldn't exclude that being the problem here as well.

jm89

Physical master race right now
mr-bison-street-fighter.gif

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Reminds me of an issue I had in late 2022. BTW.....do not try to get help from "PlayStation Experts". They are useless.

I had to deal with one of these PlayStation Experts the other day. Not a pleasant experience.....I'm sorry to say.

Edit: Details.....

I was attempting to download The Witcher 3. I bought it a couple of years ago on sale for $15. So I went to my Game Library on my PS5, but I didn't see it there. I went to the PSN store and found the game there and the interface didn't say "Download" or "Buy". It said "Play Game". I click "Play Game" and it comes up with this error message indicating that the game was on a USB drive and couldn't be located. I stopped using that USB drive a while back and reformatted it for something else. So I googled how to fix this and didn't come up with anything.

So I went to PS customer support and saw the chat option. Connected me with a "PlayStation Expert" named Giselle. I told her the problem. She had me browse to my Game Library. Told her it wasn't there. She had me browse to my Game Library on the Playstation website. I told her it wasn't there either.

She then proceeded to tell me I haven't bought the game. I told yes I had. I found the receipt in my email and I told her this. She had me go find the game on the website. There it said the game was "unavailable for purchase". Her reply....

y4lTPzo.png

I left the chat. Did some more research and found the answer. I went back to the chat....

uKr5OwQ.png

Her reply...

ykJPkAU.png

I resisted the urge for a smartass reply.

Kindela

Banned
I somehow wouldn't be surprised if people never get these back.

EDIT: And just saw Topher's experience, lmao. Yep, definitely wouldn't be surprised if people never get these back.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Playstation customer support is terrible. While I have gotten the refunds I've asked for, it was a very complicated and convoluted process that made me yank my hair out. Compare it to GoG and Steam where you get stuff sorted out within hours and by just clicking a few buttons. It's baffling that a major player like Sony, the number one market leader in video games, offers such abysmal customer support.

xrnzaaas

Didn't the same thing happen a few months back? There was no fix on the user's side for that if I remember right, Sony just fixed it themselves.

Or maybe they didn't fully fix it.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Checked on my PS5 and i can play my purchased games. But cannot see my purchased games in the PS app, and can't sign in to my PS profile in a web browser.
hIAfWnE.png

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Why does Sony seem to have so much trouble with people’s accounts? Seems like ever since the PS3, there is always something going on with player accounts or their data.

Topher

Gold Member
Why does Sony seem to have so much trouble with people’s accounts? Seems like ever since the PS3, there is always something going on with player accounts or their data.

I think it is mostly because their core is in hardware. Higher level enterprise software has never been a part of their DNA. Not really a good excuse in this day, however. This shit should be a fundamental part for any consumer based corporation. Sony just seems to continue to lag behind the times with this stuff.

Topher

Gold Member
You did a great job, Chris Topher Topher 😄

Here, has cookie. 😚👉🏻🍪
Sorry, but that “you did a great Job, anything else I can assist you with” line is fucking hilarious 🤣

What to know what is even more hiliarous that I forgot to add to that post? The email I received later from PlayStation.

1Cx2f7k.png

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

And yeah, I did let PlayStation know that she resolved jack shit.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

What to know what is even more hiliarous that I forgot to add to that post? The email I received later from PlayStation.

1Cx2f7k.png

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

And yeah, I did let PlayStation know that she resolved jack shit.

Giselle Anne S. rode into the sunset with your Stolen Valor. 😔

Bond007

Stop buying digital shit.
The only excuse is convenience of not swapping a disc. Cause it sure as hell ain't any cheaper like you would imagine - which you would think would be the first PRO of going all digital. But as gaming suckers- we can't even fight back on prices, and everyone is cool cause ya know- swapping a disc is tough.

Nevermind actual ownership, trading in, selling, borrowing, using as a coaster, frisbee. You know shit i can do when i own a product i paid $70 for.
Look at UbiSoft's recent comments if you dont think we are being played for fools. Microsoft is the tip of the sword on the topic.

Its not worth the loss of everything and the complete control of the console owner. Wake up people

Last edited:

simpatico

Sony and system software have always been a match made in hell. A tale as old as time. Heart goes out to the guys effected though. Would be very frustrating considering their track record of squaring up with customers.

Top Bottom