• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo seems to be restricting foreign purchases of Argentina eShop games

Nintendo Switch owners have always been able to access international versions of the eShop by adjusting the location settings on their Switch. The Argentinian eShop in particular has been known for carrying digital games at much lower prices than in other markets. Now it seems that Nintendo is cracking down on people taking advantage of this difference.
As reported by Universo Nintendo, attempting to purchase a game from the Argentinian eShop with a credit card issued in another country will result in the error code 2813-2470. If you look the error code up on Nintendo’s web site, you’ll see this message: “Payment may be restricted to credit cards issued in the same country as your Nintendo Account. For example, a credit card issued in Mexico will not work if your Nintendo Account is set to Argentina.”
It’s unconfirmed at this time if this restriction affects all countries, or just certain regions. It’s also possible that this is a temporary restriction, as Nintendo has not made any official statement on the impetus behind the decision. For now, you’re probably best off sticking to purchasing games on the eShop that’s native to your country.

nial

Gold Member
Sad Lionel Messi GIF

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
This is logical, the store is in the local currency and Argentina currently has its currency greatly devalued. If an American wants to buy a game that costs 50 dollars in the US eshop, if he buys in the Argentine store it would cost more or less 12 dollars.

blacktout

Damn, I should have taken advantage of this loophole more. I bought a few indies one time when they were on deep discount in a foreign eShop, but otherwise I could never be bothered to region switch. Oh well.

It was always against the ToS anyway. And government doesn't like it either because you're not paying sales tax/VAT.

Hypothetically fill up an oil tanker in America and sell it in Germany on the black market.

DonF

I buy in the argentinian eShop but on PC, you get a code and redeem it on the actual switch.

Last time I bought a game this way was like 2 years ago so I don't know if they changed the way the web eShop works.

Top Bottom