• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: "Strange Bug" causing PS5 owners lose access to hundreds of games as digital purchases wiped from their accounts

nowhat

I've said it before, and by the looks of it, I'll be saying it again ad infinitum. One of the greatest paradoxes in life is that Sony's first-party studio employ some frightfully talented programmers, like seriously god tier. But I would trust Sony corp. to program their way out of a paper back. Their software competence seems so bad it's almost impressive.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Sony testing the waters for going the Nintendo Wii/Wii U route. 😛

Now I'm thinking I probably should be archiving the receipts of all my digital games purchases. At least that way I have transaction/reference numbers on hand should a store decide I never bought anything. :messenger_tongue:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Reminds me of an issue I had in late 2022. BTW.....do not try to get help from "PlayStation Experts". They are useless.
In theory, you taught those who are supposed to be experts how to fix a mistake.

XDD.

It's true! Something similar happened to me with some licenses and on Playstation Latin America, And the support of Playstation just saying... Ahhh, I'm glad it's solved.

xDDD

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Strange how this happens after Microsoft games showed up...

phil-spencer.large.jpg

Going exactly as planned.

PSN has become worse and worse in the past few years ever since the launch of the PS5 when they've added more complexity to their digital licenses (e.g. digital & disc upgrades, console sharing PS+ Extra & Premium games, PS4 & PS5 dual entitlement licenses, etc.).

I've 'owned' several digital games which are broken to this day still due to the their messy licensing system (Ghost of Tsushima, FFVII Remake, Godfall and probably more, but I haven't checked everything) which was one of the big reasons which pushed me towards physical on their systems; that and the dogshit refund system.

A few months ago I've tried using the good old restore licensing technique because it wouldn't let me launch some PS+ games I had even though my PS+ Extra sub was active, and it told me it will take 5-6h to restore every license. Like bro, what in the hell!? I won't even check to see if I'm one of the affected because I simply don't care about their digital crap anymore, and most of the stuff I'm interested in I already have on disc.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I only have 2 actual purchased games, but everything including all redeemed PS+ games are showing in the app and on the PS5. Looks like the angel of death passed over my account.

Due to shit like this I'm pretty adamant that 95% of the time I'll stick with subs like PS+ and GP and free redeem PS+ games on consoles and make my purchases on PC.

Krathoon

I hope this is not a trend. Companies having "accidents" and losing everyone's digital purchases.

That would be shitty.

Krathoon

I just have this fear that I will be in my 70s and my digital games will slowly start dissapearing...

Like the licenses have ran out.

bender

What time is it?
I've noticed a lot of times when trying to purchase items on PS5 that it will error out and I will not be able to purchase anything until restoring my licenses and that process in itself can error out a few times before it finally initiates. I have over 6000 items on my account so I'm sure it is a size related thing, but annoying no less.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yesterday I had to go back and download something from the store page because it disappeared from my library list. Everything else I wanted to download was there. I picked up one of the $449 PS5 slim bundles this week and downloaded a dozen or so games to last night.

Quantum253

That sucks. Reminds me of when PS Network went down for a month and all the chaos ensued. I'm not a fan and will not be a fan of digital content until you have the ability to store and access that content from a home server/NAS and the the cost is reduced. Also, "purchased" is the new "rent" until you have direct access to the license/software

ManaByte

Gold Member
That sucks. Reminds me of when PS Network went down for a month and all the chaos ensued. I'm not a fan and will not be a fan of digital content until you have the ability to store and access that content from a home server/NAS and the the cost is reduced. Also, "purchased" is the new "rent" until you have direct access to the license/software
The problem with this bug is even if you have it downloaded you can’t launch the game because it thinks you don’t own it.

StereoVsn

Checked on my PS5 and i can play my purchased games. But cannot see my purchased games in the PS app, and can't sign in to my PS profile in a web browser.
hIAfWnE.png
Man, I am afraid to even check. And as for PSP/Vita/PS1/PS2 Classics/PS: can only pray they haven’t gotten hit.

StereoVsn

I've said it before, and by the looks of it, I'll be saying it again ad infinitum. One of the greatest paradoxes in life is that Sony's first-party studio employ some frightfully talented programmers, like seriously god tier. But I would trust Sony corp. to program their way out of a paper back. Their software competence seems so bad it's almost impressive.
It’s been that way forever. I remember buying some of their mini disk and eReader hardware back in the day. The devices were amazingly well built. Software was dog shit. And that was like 20 years ago.

Last edited:

nowhat

It’s been that way forever. I remember buying some of their mini disk and eReader hardware back in the day. The devices were amazingly well built. Software was dog shit. And that was like 20 years ago.
Oh for sure. I do have to give credit to the Xperia phones though (or at least those I've owned), they have kept Android pretty much vanilla and the "enhancements" are usually not offensive, sometimes useful even. Still maybe not really worth the premium when it comes to price, granted.

Krathoon

I ran into this when I had a connection problem with my Xbox One.

Suddenly, it was acting like I did not own games because it could not verify the license.

That is bullshit. I needed a connection to play the games.

Mr Moose

Could this be related to PS+ and the subscription lapsing? Or do those still show in your collection? I might find out in a few days when mine runs out.

It's shit like this that really makes me reconsider having my digital library. If space wasn't an issue I'd probably have a bigger physical collection.

Skifi28

It's shit like this that really makes me reconsider having my digital library. If space wasn't an issue I'd probably have a bigger physical collection.
Having a fire or flood at your place that destroys all your crap is statistically more likely to happen than some phantom bug that might or might not exist that maybe removes some games from your library you can probably get back after talking with support. I get the people that prefer a physical collection, but using this as an excuse why digital is bad in general is kinda silly.

Last edited:

teokrazia

Cannot wait for the moment when this amateurs will open their storefront on PC and put themeselves in direct competition with Steam.

Top Bottom