• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Mafia

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Now that Mafia 2 is less than a month away, I decided to revisit the original and relive one of my most favorite games. Let me first say that I did not play Mafia when it was initially released. I have never been an avid PC gamer and it took me until 2009 to actually play through the game. I instantly fell in love and have now played it 4 times.

4841056441_3d577c7d06.jpg

Mafia was made by Illusion Softworks(now 2K Czech) and released in 2002. It follows the story of cab driver Tommy Angelo and his rise through the Mafia in the 1930s fictional city of Lost Heaven. Mafia is a fairly unique open world game in that it's much closer to a linear third person shooter than a sandbox game. The world acts as a backdrop to where the missions take place.

What really surprised me the first time I played Mafia was the emphasis on the story and realism. While a lot of open world games encourage you to mess around and give you lots of freedom, Mafia intentionally restricts the player to create a compelling narrative within a convincing world. Cops pull you over for speeding and running red lights, Tommy can only take a few bullets before dying, cars accelerate slowly and require gasoline to drive, some guns have a lot of recoil and are hard to control, and there are very few things to do outside of the main missions except for exploring the city and occasionally doing side missions for a friendly mechanic.

It was a big change from what I was used to in other open world games. While the restrictions sound like bad things, they actually immersed me further into the world and story. I didn't find myself constantly distracted by pointless side activities and I was never asking "why I am I doing this?". Every mission has a very specific purpose and they all greatly contribute to the story.

4841670842_0fe7f28025.jpg

The actual story of Mafia isn't anything too out of the ordinary, but it's quite good for a videogame and it's executed very well. It's rare that a videogame can pull off a mature storyline and make it feel compelling, but Mafia succeeds. I'd also put it in the running for best videogame ending. Perhaps the best part of the story is Tommy's character development. Certain scenes with Frank, Paulie, & the priest come to mind as times when I was really fascinated by Tommy's moral choices.

As for the gameplay, most missions take place in large set pieces around the city such as the hotel, farm, airport, parking garage, harbor, steamboat, prison, and art gallery. There's quite a variety of missions - while driving and shooting are the two main gameplay components, some missions also emphasize stealth. A few of these missions are absolutely huge and take a while to complete. Specifically, the airport and the harbor are really wide open areas where you're given a vague direction and expected to find what you're looking for. For being a linear game some of these missions are fairly open ended.

4841669340_67dece9595.jpg

One of my favorite aspects of Mafia is the overall atmosphere. This is mainly achieved through the graphics and the soundtrack. Despite being 8 years old, Mafia still looks quite beautiful. The main character’s faces particularly amaze me. The only problem is the terrible draw distance, but thankfully this can be fixed through mods. Each main section of Lost Heaven has its own music from artists such as Django Reinhardt & The Mills Brothers. The orchestral soundtrack was composed by Vladimir Simunek and provides some truly haunting music for each mission. The main theme in particular is quite beautiful.

The missions themselves also have fantastic atmosphere. Mafia does not have a dynamic day/night schedule. Instead the developers chose to control the weather for each mission. This goes a long way in making some of the missions very atmospheric. The mission “A Trip to the Countryside” immediately springs to mind. The first time I played this mission the combination of thunderstorms and creaky barns made me unexpectedly fearful of what I would encounter on this farm. The abandoned prison tower and the steamboat are two other levels with lovely atmosphere.

4841667794_8cb5d732de.jpg

For as much as I love this game it certainly has its flaws. To me, the most problematic things are the melee combat and the buddy AI. Thankfully there only 2 missions that force you to use melee combat, but these missions are my least favorite because of it. The buddy AI is not very intelligent, but it's not really a problem until you get to a certain mission(parking garage) in which your two AI friends are determined to kill themselves anyway they can. While the story is great, there are certain parts that I wish they expanded on(specifically Tommy joining the mafia, his relationship with Sarah, & Morello's involvement in the plot). Also, the voice acting for the main characters is mostly fantastic, but nearly all of the background characters have really terrible voice actors that I find pretty distracting.

4841053491_f101fce88a.jpg

Overall Mafia is a truly unique experience. It shares obvious similarities with other open world titles, but it just feels so different. It’s a game that understands drama and is able to tell a compelling story. And despite its flaws, I love nearly everything about it. I hope that Mafia II can deliver an experience on par with this incredible game.

So what about GAF – have you played Mafia? Like it? Didn’t like it? Please share your experiences.

Darkman M

I haven't gotten around to playing this, yet Mafia II is a day one title for me. I really should get around to playing this one.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I loved this game, the story was so great and the ending my god was it good. Can't wait for MAFIA II.

jtb

Banned
The ending was fuck-all awesome. That said, I just hated how difficult it was to shoot and drive (and doing them together was basically impossible). I know, I know - realism. But seriously, don't design a game around massive shootouts and driving in races if both mechanics are fucking horrible!

sohois

Definatly one of the best of all time. For me, my favourite mission was the one on the boat, can't remember what it was called but its the last screenshot in the op. Anyway, while the mission tasks were pretty simple
( it involved assasinating some guy - all you had to do was retrieve the weapon and then go kill him and there were no real enemies or threat to deal with)
, it just felt so realistic, like how it would happen in real life rather than the game adding loads of action as many other titles might.

Also, while the main game didn't have much side stuff, there was a free roam mode which featured a bunch of crazy missions to get special cars, which was pretty sweet though many of the missions were super hard.

stuminus3

I cannot believe this game is 8 years old already! Sequel has been a long time coming. Mafia is the kind of game I think they were trying to make with GTA4.

Nemesis121 said:
Loved the game until the racing part, that race made me salty:lol :lol :lol
I still have no problem with that part. I bought the game the day it came out back in 2002 was it, so I played the pre-patched race the first time.

This game is janky though... As much of a fan of it that I am, it plays as though it came out of 2002. Weird geometry in any jumping/climbing you have to do. Driving is a little slow and cops are ball busters to the max!

Face textures blew me away though. At the time I had a top of the line PC with GeForce 4 / Radeon 9700. You could see pores! PORES! It was really cool. I dunno about anyone else, but the game had me from the first cutscene where you sit down in the coffee shop and tell the story to the detective.

Dilly

Banned
The mission 'A trip to the country' at the farm was great, the atmosphere was just unbelievable.

The sound and the gameplay sequence when in the back of the truck is just great.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
sohois said:
Definatly one of the best of all time. For me, my favourite mission was the one on the boat, can't remember what it was called but its the last screenshot in the op. Anyway, while the mission tasks were pretty simple
( it involved assasinating some guy - all you had to do was retrieve the weapon and then go kill him and there were no real enemies or threat to deal with)
, it just felt so realistic, like how it would happen in real life rather than the game adding loads of action as many other titles might.
It was called "Happy Birthday!". It was one of my favorite missions too. I liked how many different things you could do on the boat that changed the outcome of the assassination.

It's one of a few missions where very few people die. Most of the missions have you killing lots of dispensable gangsters, which obviously isn't very realistic. But I'm always impressed that the characters actually react to scenes where lots of killing happen - something a lot of games don't do, strangely. Especially in the beginning Tommy is very hesitant to take part in the killing.

sohois said:
Also, while the main game didn't have much side stuff, there was a free roam mode which featured a bunch of crazy missions to get special cars, which was pretty sweet though many of the missions were super hard.
Yeah I forgot to mention freeride extreme. To be honest I've never finished all the missions on this mode. Some of them are just too hard for me and without the narrative to motivate me I just stop trying. It was a fun mode though.

Always wanted to play this game, and finally did a few months ago. Really didn't care for it. I probably would have liked it better if I had played it when it was originally released.

Vlodril

The game has aged fantastically. I didnt catch it until recently and i was stunned at how good it looked for a 8 year old game. Very GTAIV and that came out recently.

Hated the controls though especially the driving. Really looking forward to the new one.

Munin

I love Mafia. Back in 2002 the game was so much ahead of its time it's not even funny. From the cinematic opening and elaborate cutscenes now over-used in every single AAA title, to the bittersweet ending, I never had played such a fantastically presented game before. I still think it's one of video gaming's highest points in terms of actual mature stories and developed characters.

And even though it wasn't an open world game in the strictest sense I still loved mucking about in it for countless hours because the developers nailed the atmosphere PERFECTLY. From the Reinhardt tunes to details such as speed limits etc., I loved all that. The countryside was beautiful, too.

Unforgettable experience. I think Mafia 2 will be a very good game, but I see no chance of it holding up to the predecessor, simply because of the circumstances and time under which Mafia was released.

Requeim

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Always wanted to play this game, and finally did a few months ago. Really didn't care for it. I probably would have liked it better if I had played it when it was originally released.

Same, except i played it last week.

edit: also, fucking speedlimits

Yeah, the atmosphere of this mission blew me away. Nice farm. Cool storm.

And then as you walk around and do the mission, the sound was so accurately reproduced. It was loud & rainy when you were outside in the open. The rain got quieter when you when in the barn. And the rain made hard pattering sounds when you went underneath a thin tin roof. It was an amazing attention to detail.

Zoso said:
The missions themselves also have fantastic atmosphere. Mafia does not have a dynamic day/night schedule. Instead the developers chose to control the weather for each mission. This goes a long way in making some of the missions very atmospheric. The mission “A Trip to the Countryside” immediately springs to mind. The first time I played this mission the combination of thunderstorms and creaky barns made me unexpectedly fearful of what I would encounter on this farm. The abandoned prison tower and the steamboat are two other levels with lovely atmosphere.

4841667794_8cb5d732de.jpg

One of the greatest games ever made IMO. I'm hoping that they release the Steam version for purchase so I can always have it at my fingertips (I'm probably getting a console version of Mafia II if they come out OK)

What an outstanding game, it came out of nowhere and it still is the best in its genre imo.

Mafia 2 is easily one of my most anticipated game of this gen, I hope they don't dumb it down too much:/ I'm so pumped for the upcoming demo.

Zoso

Munin said:
I love Mafia. Back in 2002 the game was so much ahead of its time it's not even funny. From the cinematic opening and elaborate cutscenes now over-used in every single AAA title, to the bittersweet ending, I never had played such a fantastically presented game before. I still think it's one of video gaming's highest points in terms of actual mature stories and developed characters.
I can't imagine playing it in 2002 - It was shocking just playing it in 2009. While some things had obviously aged, the core of the game was so much more impressive than anything else I had played.

Munin said:
Unforgettable experience. I think Mafia 2 will be a very good game, but I see no chance of it holding up to the predecessor, simply because of the circumstances and time under which Mafia was released.
You may be right. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for Mafia 2. It looks great, but they've changed a lot of things for the sequel and it seems like a different game than the first. That's not really a bad thing, I'll just have to remember that when I play it. Try to judge it on its own merits.

GitarooMan said:
One of the greatest games ever made IMO. I'm hoping that they release the Steam version for purchase so I can always have it at my fingertips (I'm probably getting a console version of Mafia II if they come out OK)
I believe the steam version will be released on Mafia 2's release date for $10

For those of you who didn't like it - care to expand on what you disliked? I've noticed there's not a huge fan base for the franchise. It seems Mafia has kind of a limited appeal.

crpav

I love/loved this game. Bought it way back when it was released on the PC and loved everything abut it. The story is amazing and the game play is great. I should play it again but my bag log is way too big.

Top Bottom