• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ballad of Gay Tony was everything GTA4 should have been, GTA5 must be 'episodic'

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I recently bought the two expansions for PC in a Steam sale. I had just finished Red Dead, and was kind of getting into a nice grove with the whole R* book of design. I never really bother with many stranger missions or mini-games, but I really fell in love with navigating a really well realised environment from mission to mission, enjoying the general atmosphere.

VERY MILD SPOILERS, SHOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE FOR 99% OF PEOPLE

Anyway, so I played Lost and Damned (the first expansion, the Biker one) and it started off really well. Billy was an interesting character and the playable character, Johnny, had potential. But then it did the thing that GTAIV did, and totally overstayed its welcome. Sure, it was much shorter, but the story written around the group of bikers totally went off the rails once Billy was removed from the centre stage and a whole lot of other less interesting characters were introduced.

Basically, it did the GTA4 thing of starting off with cool characters and a good central idea, but failed to actually support itself in Act 2. Video games. The Johnny character went no where, and Billy's motives were really unclear to me for the most part. The central relationship the glued the whole story together fell apart once the intro was over.

The mission design was... well, it wasn't awful, but it wasn't very good either. The shitty driveby GTA4 controls were necessary fairly often and the way the had you exploring the environment was totally boring. Most of the missions were gun-heavy, kill-a-bunch-a-dudes fests.

So yeah. On the plus side, shorter than GTA4 (the episodic structure is definitely where I think most all R* games should go from now on), but still totally fell apart in the middle and the mission design neglected fun in the name of pseudo-plausibly, which only made it more glaringly stupid when it came time to (last mission spoilers)
break into a Prison with a group of ten guys and actually manage to get out alive, without the FBI hunting you down and still manage to kill the guy they were after
. I prefer games embrace their insanity, rather than try and hide it and then have these giant contrasts between what the world is saying and what the game is asking of you. Typical GTA4itis.

Which brings me to Gay Tony. It fixed basically all the complaints I had with GTA4 and L&D.

The core relationship that hold the story together, that of Luis and Tony, was super-engaging all the way through. At no point does the game suddenly stop and say HERE GUYS SUDDEN GEAR CHANGE TIME FOR NEW MISSION GIVERS, it actually trusts itself to remain interesting throughout with Tony as the primary mission-giver. I mean, there are characters that come in and out of focus, but for the most part all the characters you meet are interesting or at least entertaining. The Mauri/Brucie thing was great, Yusef was hilarious and Bulgarin, while the weakest character in the game (
and a totally forced FINAL VILLAIN
), still shone interesting lights over the relationship that I actually gave a shit about, the friendship between Tony and Luis.

At no point did the game not trust itself to continue along that story path. In the time it took me to finish the episode, Luis and Tony actually went through a really well plotted bit of character development. So many games fail to do this thanks to the Act 2 problem. In the end, every character in the game, every single one, served as a way of making me think about the two characters we actually gave a shit about in some new, whether it be drawing attention to the weirdness of it, cleverly delivering a bit of off-hand backstory or reinforcing its strength.

Tony and Luis remained totally likable and endearing characters throughout the whole god damn thing. John Marsden was similar in that regard, but even RDR had the Mexico section, which while not terrible, really felt like fluff in the grand scheme of things.

The mission design totally embraced its weirdness. Throwing a blogger out a helicopter and catching him as he falls before parachuting to safety? You betcha. I won't spoil anything else, but the way the missions guided you around the city and let you see certain areas was masterful. Whether it be flying a helicopter through Times Square or seeing the Globe in a different light, it all felt natural, interesting and like it was doing the city justice. And to top it all off, most of the missions weren't totally KILL DUDES BRO, they actually had interesting ideas or scenarios. The mission complete screen with stats and the like was also a really cool thing which I hope makes its way into other R* games.

So the last two missions kind of fucked up in that regard. Absolutely ridiculous KILL ALL DUDES with unforgiving checkpoints. Luckily the shittiness is confined to those missions, and the last mission actually manages to end strongly after the bullshit Funland part.

Luis does crazy, unbelievable things, but the game embraces it. It made stealing a subway train feel more believable to me than a bunch of bikers smuggling in some coke.

So, I don't know, the reason I'm posting this is because I feel like this episode got so little love in the community, when it did so much right. I absolutely hope GTA5 focuses on more of a 'Tales from City X' vibe, showing the lives of a whole range of characters rather than trying to drag one story out over 20 hours and falling flat on its face as a result. Showing different stories also shines a light on how many different sorts of people can all live together in one place, which I find super-interesting, and it also gives a narrative conceit for wildly different missions, which previous GTA games have just had to force in at not always great times.

So yeah, if you hated GTA4 but liked the PS2 GTAs, or liked RDR, I would strongly suggest playing this game. I'd have paid full price for it and walked away totally satisfied.

I'm not proof-reading this, so shoot me.

tl;dr: Play this game and see why it does what GTA4 didn't and then pray that R* decide to make GTA5 in a similarly episodic way. Not as in, releases a new game every month, but in that it contains a series of different stories from the one city.

I disagree. Both episodes were perfect additions to the GTA4 and, as a unified product, make for a great experience. But, without the original GTA4 to start with, I wouldn't enjoyed them in a nearly the same way.

Madman

I would prefer they make one excellent game. Rockstar has to make vanilla 5 as good as or better than VC or SA.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see why there needs to even be a 'vanilla' 5, other than dated tradition. TBOGT was as complete an experience as I could possibly ask for.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I personally loved GTAIV, before any of the expansions. I did enjoy the expansions as well, and I agree that Gay Tony had the best story and characters of the 3. I don't really want the series to be entirely episodic, I like a full 50-100 hour game instead of shorter down loadable episodes. I do like the idea of having such substantial post-release content, I would die for them to do the same thing for RDR.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Y2Kev said:
Gay Tony has too many helicopter missions for me to like it.

Yep. While it was actually slightly better than lost and damned it still suffered the same flaws as all GTA games and the helicopter missions can go fuck right off.

I hope GTA5 isn't anything like the ballad of gay tony simply because that would be the same old GTA game we have all been playing. It needs choices, branched paths for conversations, a more open feel, things to spend your money based on what the story is etc.

It would have been nice to let the blogger guy die and live with the consequences instead of being told i had failed a mission. Getting blown by that other clubs girl was nice and all, so was the shoot out and killing him, but why can't i go back and buy the club or any other club? The episode is about trying to survive in the club business, so why can't i try?

I absolutely hope GTA5 focuses on more of a 'Tales from City X' vibe, showing the lives of a whole range of characters rather than trying to drag one story out over 20 hours and falling flat on its face as a result. Showing different stories also shines a light on how many different sorts of people can all live together in one place, which I find super-interesting, and it also gives a narrative conceit for wildly different missions, which previous GTA games have just had to force in at not always great times.

This i actually agree with and something i would love to see. More 10 hour stories shown from different perspectives within the same city would be a blast.

Well GTA3 had an extra episode later
So did vice city
So did GTA4
I don't think the main game should be shortened or broken down but I like the way they fill out a random GTA character with the Stories or Eps.
I really want my main GTA game to take 100 hours to complete.

Hixx

Stabby McSter said:
I think I might be the only one that prefers TL&TD over Gay Tony. :(

Nope. I loved TLAD, too many frustrating missions in TBGT for me personally (helicopters have never been fun in GTA games Rockstar, please stop).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just to be clear, I don't mean downloadable, individual shorter episodes, I mean one full priced retail game that is structured in some way to contain stories revolving around the lives of a series of different characters. they don't even need to necessarily be separated as "CHARACTER 1 STORY/CHARACTER 2 STORY".

Rez said:
just to be clear, I don't mean downloadable, individual shorter episodes, I mean one full priced retail game that is structured in some way to contain stories revolving around the lives of a series of different characters. they don't even need to necessarily be separated as "CHARACTER 1 STORY/CHARACTER 2 STORY".

So a Pulp Fiction style story, kinda? That'd be cool.

Rainier

For those of you having issues with the helicopter missions, was this on PC or console? I suck at these on console, but found using M&K on PC for these missions pretty.

Edit: Actually, that last one in TBOGT where you're
chasing some dude in a car from a chopper
took me about 5 tries, but at least I could instantly re-start the mission from my phone.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, more or less, Green Scar.

re: helicopters

I didn't really have an issue with them? I mean, I didn't love them, but I didn't hate them. They were like any other form of transport. You guys did realise that the bumpers rotate the helicopter, right? That, and there was only one that actually required any real finesse, the one where you had to shoot down a couple of others, and even then it was only one.

bdouble

I have yet to pick up a GTA4 game. I plan on getting stories but from what I hear and generally vanilla was just way too long and drawn out. The best thing about the game is the city.

With taking that into account I also think that a single city with 3+ stories in the main game would be a great way to fix some of the issues of 4. Also adds some possible awesome story elements and view points of the same event of events from other characters as you progress each story.

Rainier

Kifimbo said:
There is almost no chance that GTA V will be episodic, the sales of GTA IV DLC didn't meet expectations.
Yet I bet it still made a profit. I'd be surprised it they didn't have DLC for GTA in the future.

TBOGT feels fresh if you were of the camp that just wanted GTA4 to be more GTA3. I found Luis more enjoyable to mess around with than Niko, to be sure, but lots of his missions felt like they were channeled from VC and SA. While that's probably a good thing for some, I liked the gritty departures of TLAD and the vanilla game.

I'd like the next GTA to span multiple cities, and include a countryside. Do what SA did for VC. Have a city where the gameplay is more 'eclectic', like in vanilla, and a city that's more traditional, like TBOGT.

I hope they keep the same model - but if anything I think we'll see a scaling back of episodic content, and a focus on the primary game and micro-transactions. TLAD and TBOGT did not sell anywhere near expectations.

edit: last sentence, beaten

I think I like regular GTA IV the most out of all three. I think Billy in L&D was one of the more interesting characters out of all three (but I think a lot of that was due to the excellent voice acting). I think TBGT added a lot of necessary fun to the series, but i think it had the fewest number of main characters (i agree that maurie and yuusef were great though) that I found interesting.

I hope they don't do a purely episodic GTA IV. I know I may be in the minority, but I've beaten GTA IV no less than 4 times, L&D twice and TBGT once. Despite how massive GTA IV was and how off rails it got with introducing too many mafia bosses and other unnecessary characters I still found the gameplay and atmosphere immersive. I'd prefer a game of that size than smaller 10-hr GTA DLCs simply because I've always enjoyed how massive GTA games have been. I've always enjoyed how much there is to do right off the bat and the thought of being teased along over a period of months just seems undesirable.

Til this day I still feel GTA IV has the most engrossing atmosphere in a game I've played this gen. I loved RDR, but if I had to choose one over the other I'd still go with GTA IV.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
corkscrewblow said:
Gay Tony >>>> TLAD >>>>>>>>>> shit > GTA4

Then that shit must be diamond encrusted golden shit because GTA4 set the bar for every free-roaming games that only it's DLC & Red Dead Redemption surpassed it.

Edit:

The Helicopter controls also kickass, they actually control how a helicopter does in real life & takes a semblance of skill to use, which is fucking great. Not like some dumb down glorified jetpack other games have.

AkuMifune

Banned
While I agree that having a good core relationship makes for a stronger arc overall, I hated the way it flashed my success % after every mission. It made it feel so gamey, and I much prefer that stuff to stay in the background. Certainly Luis & Tony's relationship was the most well realized in any Rockstar game, but it felt like a series of getting Tony out of trouble missions rather than a something with a central plot. I think what's strong about Gay Tony is the thing that Rockstar fails to do with every other of their games, and that's simply to stay focused, in this case staying with Luis and Tony most of the time. Tons of people are giving up with Red Dead in Mexico and lots of people lost interest in GTAIV before they even met Dwayne because the story became so meandering.

I don't think the answer is to go episodic though, I think the answer is a stronger core story that doesn't lose it's focus as much. Or maybe they should take a cue from the other overlooked Rockstar game, Bully, and spread the arc over the course of seasons, like a school year (or for a grown up Bully how about a 3 year prison sentence?) that way the institution provides the structure for the game instead of one guys meandering lust for revenge that gets sidetracked by 3rd rate NPCs we don't give a shit about to make the game longer.

Stabby McSter said:
I think I might be the only one that prefers TL&TD over Gay Tony. :(

nope i *much* preferred it...had a real struggle to finish gay tony...

but i agree about the Tales from City X' vibe/pulp fiction style of storytelling...maybe 1 character per 'island'?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm interested to hear why some like TLAD over BOGT. GTAIV itself is a whole other can of worms, but the two episodes are easier to compare.

To me, most of the missions felt like shoot-em-ups, the game had quite a few weak-link characters and the actual motives of Billy versus Johnny never really came across strongly enough. There wasn't any one part that really hooked me like BOGT.

That being said, after playing TBOGT, and getting the only 'happy' ending in the whole GTA4 series and seeing the diamond shot at the end that was same as the one at the beginning of GTA4, everything coming around in a circle has triggered a new found respect for GTA4 and TLAD as a whole from me. Hell, I have a new found appreciation for what R* do, in general. Before now I'd always been on the 'I don't quite... get GTA games' side of the fence.

Still doesn't compare to San Andreas. When we talk about the next game we should be comparing it to that, but I wouldn't mind seeing a story that spanned multiple characters.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it comes down to pure opinion, then. I hated the ending, thought the premises was totally wasted and the missions were run of the mill gun fests. The 'story' was nonexistent in the second half of the game.

I did appreciate the tone and setting, especially as a compliment to the larger GTA4 setting. I like that gritty Lost can exist in the same place as the nightclub world of BOGT and the cab world of Roman and Niko. Seeing all these dramatically different people, tones and premises all coming believably out of the same city is something I really hope comes out of GTAV from the word go.

Brinbe

Agree on that first point, loved how they took the lessons/criticisms of GTA4/TLAD and did it right with TBOGT. If they continue on that track with GTA V, they'll be okay.

kamspy

I like the structure of 4 with the expansions.

One big meaty game and a couple smaller ones with more refined focuses.

I'm the only gamer on earth who still really likes GTA4 vanilla. I will say that Gay Tony is the one I'd go back to for my GTA4 kick though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Either way, a giant issue with GTA4's three games in general is the engine.

The engine sucks balls.
I'm actually super-impressed at everything they've managed to do with the engine. From RDR to GTA4, the way it deals with giant spaces is amazing. My jaw still drops when I fly a helicopter above the city, or see a the old West desert sprawling out in front of me.

The amount of work that must go into creating these damn game worlds blows my mind.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gravijah said:
Ehhh, I enjoyed GTAIV. Would rather have GTA5 with two expansions or episodic content like this gen.
kamspy said:
I like the structure of 4 with the expansions.

One big meaty game and a couple smaller ones with more refined focuses.

I'm the only gamer on earth who still really likes GTA4 vanilla. I will say that Gay Tony is the one I'd go back to for my GTA4 kick though.

I guess I'm just yet to play a 20+ hour game that manages to maintain a believable, well-paced story for that length of time without some serious compromise in one area or another.

A Pulp Fiction-esque GTA5 seems like the ideal middle-ground, to me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Himuro said:
Read my edit.

I loved how in TLAD's ending
they basically gained nothing. Usually in GTA fashion, the hero gains something: whether it's revenge or riches. In TLAD, nothing is truly gained by "winning". Yes, they kill off their old leader, but at the price of their gang being basically defunct and out of commission. It felt like, for the first in the series since III, the writers didn't glorify the business or the gang life, but the opposite. It wasn't bittersweet either. I felt the same way about III's ending: nothing is truly gained except Claude's life and a fireworks fiesta of awesome.
I can respect that and see why it you or others might respond really well to it, but to me it felt like I had to wade through a whole lot of meaningless crap to get to that point. If, after Billy's arrest, the game sped right to the conlusion, it might have resonated better with me, but by the time it came to
burn down the club
I'd lost any sort of connection I had with the remaining members, and Johnny had slowly become uglier and uglier. I mean, when Johnny wheeled the disabled member out, I assumed it was meant to provoke some sort of reaction, but I just felt nothing.

I'm okay with the moral being 'it's a fucked up world we live in' or 'this way of life is a dead-end', I just didn't feel like either was delivered with the force it needed to really affect me.

And I definitely agree with you on the Bohan/Broker sections of GTA4. Easily the best bits of the game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Y2Kev said:
Gay Tony has too many helicopter missions for me to like it.
I hate driving helicopters, SO MUCH.

But my favorite thing in GTAIV was driving around the city.

Gravijah

Plywood said:
I hate driving helicopters, SO MUCH.

But my favorite thing in GTAIV was driving around the city.

Yeeees, love GTAIV driving. I barely ever used Taxis, I don't think I even used 'em much when I had to restart missions.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gravijah said:
Yeeees, love GTAIV driving. I barely ever used Taxis, I don't think I even used 'em much when I had to restart missions.
yeah, I never taxied in these games or used a carriage in RDR. The city was just such a great piece of work.

Gravijah

Rez said:
yeah, I never taxied in these games or used a carriage in RDR. The city was just such a great piece of work.

Maybe my fear of episodic GTAs is that we won't get a world as dense or large. I suppose I wouldn't mind an episodic series for GTA5 if it has the same attention to detail as GTAIV.

Definitely agree with Himuro regarding why he preferred L&D. I don't know if it's because I've played it twice and Gay Tony only once, but I struggle to remember pretty much everything from Gay Tony besides the annoying helicopter missions. I'm not into biker culture at all, but I think it was interesting to see the role that background played in being accepted into a group. They never go over the top with it, but the interaction between Billy and Johnny - even at the beginning - always seemed very tenuous. Johnny's presumably affluent origins and the role it played in subsequent interactions with Billy and Brian and the differences in opinion in how the gang should operate (classic outlaw style vs. business-like) was interesting because it reflected old and new ways of doing things. One faction is seemingly holding on to what they view as tradition whereas the other is trying to modernize and stabilize the gang.

The end, without even going into Himuro's good points also felt the most poetic out of the three.
The torching of the bar and razing of important signifiers of who they were because of how corrupt everything had become was interesting to me.
Furthermore, L&D was a nice throwback to the earlier GTAs because you were actually part of a gang - something I kinda missed in GTA IV.

Gay Tony was still a great game, but story-wise I don't think it really holds a candle to L&D. Gameplay-wise it's a nice throwback to the "more fun" GTAs, which is why I think so many people seem to prefer it over the other two but story-wise it didn't do anything for me, really.

Rez said:
I'm interested to hear why some like TLAD over BOGT. GTAIV itself is a whole other can of worms, but the two episodes are easier to compare.

it comes down to story, music and general atmosphere for me and i just much preferred TLAD story to BOGT - im actually really surprised that BOGT is the GAF fav?

Himuro said:
+ Better story
+ Better premise
+ Better missions
+ Better Gameplay
+ Best ending in the series next to GTA3's

exactly

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Green Scar said:
So a Pulp Fiction style story, kinda? That'd be cool.

I've mentioned this before and I would really like to see Rockstar go with this style of story telling

The 50 hour epic just isn't working anymore. Cut the game into smaller chunks, give the player something different after 10 hours.

I immediately stopped caring about GTA after RDR. Not that I really cared that much before. I will say TL&TD and Gay Tony look interesting, but it's SO hard to consider buying them after the sour taste GTAIV left in my mouth.

Gay Tony's adjustments didn't fix the shitty physics, boring driving, or clunky controls.

That and I didn't feel like it was new or fresh at all. I enjoyed 1/5 of GTA IV, but the rest annoyed the shit out of me.

/Contrarian rant

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Himuro said:
As someone who has yet to play RDR I really drool when people say this. Because I just can't imagine it being as good as people say it is.
It really is very good. A lot of the problems GTA have are fixed because the world is just... more empty.

Lagspike_exe said:
I disagree. Both episodes were perfect additions to the GTA4 and, as a unified product, make for a great experience. But, without the original GTA4 to start with, I wouldn't enjoyed them in a nearly the same way.

This. But I do think for GTAIV the thing to learn from this is that I'd like a unified larger story all played out by different main characters and different stories. I want it to be digestible like episodes but all episodes entirely integrated with each other somehow.

Also, TLAD wins over BOGT mainly due to atmosphere and overall "getting something right", but BOGT wins in strictly gameplay.

plus did everyone already forget the episodes finally introduced checkpoints?

Top Bottom