• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth - Free to Play this week (Win/OSX/Linux)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

http://www.heroesofnewerth.com//free2play.php
Free to Play Week - Hellbourne Trailer [via Youtube]

Free To Play Week starting Monday, August 2nd at 1:00 PM EST and ending on Monday, August 9th at 1:00 PM EST. Come see what you've been missing. You will have access to the full game and all 68 heroes, including the newest hero, Doctor Repulsor. You will be able to see all game replays, but no cumulative stats will be available for F2P accounts.

Heroes of Newerth is a 30$ stand-alone DotA-style game with persistent stats, dedicated servers, matchmaking and a very hardcore community. Official Thread found here.

System requirements:

Windows

Minimum:
Processor - 2.2GHz Pentium 4 / AMD 2400+ or faster
RAM - 1GB of RAM
Video Card - GeForce 5 and ATI 9800 w/ 128 MB VRAM
Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
Network Connection Required

Recommended:
Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo / AMD 3500+ or faster
RAM - 1.5GB or higher
Video Card - 256MB Geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900+
Network Connection Required (Broadband)

Linux

Minimum:
Processor - 2.2GHz Pentium 4 / AMD 2400+ or faster
RAM - 1GB of RAM
Video Card - 128MB fully OpenGL 2.0 / GLSL 1.20 compliant Geforce or Radeon

Recommended:
Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo / AMD 3500+ or faster
RAM - 1.5GB or higher

OS X

Minimum:
Processor - Intel Processor
RAM - 1GB of RAM
Video Card - 128MB fully OpenGL 2.0 / GLSL 1.20 compliant Geforce or Radeon
OS X 10.4 or newer

Recommended:
Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo or faster
RAM - 1.5GB or higher

Supported video cards:
OS X 10.4: Geforce 8600, Radeon HD 2400 or higher
OS X 10.5: Geforce 7300, Quardo FX 4500, Radeon X1600 or higher
Note: Integrated Intel GMA 950/X3100 is not supported

blitz64

I really like this game. One of the reasons that got me into this game was because I suck at controlling 50 units in starcraft 2 and base building.

So I thought controlling just 1 unit should be easy and fun. Well it was fun but not as easy as I thought.

DemiMatt

where was this the week the sc2 beta shut down!

Will play though, this game is great, never bought it (I should) but I loved the way this game handled.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Few beginner tips:

1) PLAY THE TUTORIAL. You won't be the next chu, but you will learn some some basics that'll help your game.
2) Be prepared for verbal abuse. The community is shitty, just learn to shrug all the idiots off and try your best.
3) Play no stat games at the beginning. Upon further inspection, free accounts can only play no stat games.
4) Keep an eye on the mini map as often as possible. If you notice that the top lane is empty, let your teammates know. A gank could be in progress and they should be aware.
5) Be sure to have some form of healing when you first leave the base. You will lose a ton of exp and money every time you have to run back to the well to regen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Archie said:
Few beginner tips:

1) PLAY THE TUTORIAL. You won't be the next chu, but you will learn some some basics that'll help your game.
2) Be prepared for verbal abuse. The community is shitty, just learn to shrug all the idiots off and try your best.
3) Play no stat games at the beginning. Upon further inspection, free accounts can only play no stat games.
4) Keep an eye on the mini map as often as possible. If you notice that the top lane is empty, let your teammates know. A gank could be in progress and they should be aware.
5) Be sure to have some form of healing when you first leave the base. You will lose a ton of exp and money every time you have to run back to the well to regen.

God #2 was the biggest turn off when I was in the beta. I had another buddy in the beta and if we weren't playing against each other we hardly played because the player base was awful.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, they did add a player reporting feature awhile ago, which has put a muzzle on rageplayers a little bit. But, since the Free to Play week is nostat only anyway, chances are you won't be meeting up with the stat hungry tryhards anyway.

So, I'm great at LOL but this game is nothing like it really... What is the best mode to play, 5s? Also who are some good starter people. By the time I even get anywhere I seemed to get raped by someone who is already buffed some how.

Also my biggest problem is the camera won't lock onto my hero. I want it to stick to him and follow him around. The only way I can do this is by holding c down which ...sucks.

I encourage everyone that is enjoying LoL to give this a try. It might be a turn off at first because the game is catered to a more competitive angle, and not very noob friendly, but i have to say that if you can get over the learning curve, It is so much more fun and polished than LoL is.

BloodElfHunter said:
So, I'm great at LOL but this game is nothing like it really... What is the best mode to play, 5s? Also who are some good starter people. By the time I even get anywhere I seemed to get raped by someone who is already buffed some how.

Also my biggest problem is the camera won't lock onto my hero. I want it to stick to him and follow him around. The only way I can do this is by holding c down which ...sucks.
Try playing no-stats newbie games so you can get the hang of the game...odds are youre playing against guys who've been playing for a while now.
Good starter heroes to pick are : plague rider, forsaken archer, witch slayer.
Good starter items on ANY hero are : one runes of blight, a potion, both used for healing. Then four minor totems(total of +4 to stats). These items aren't they ideal build for most heroes, but they never fail.

I know this may seem strange, but locking the camera on you puts you at a big disadvantage.

Also, the default mode and basically the only mode anyone plays is 5v5.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
BloodElfHunter said:

Great beginner heroes are: Glacius, Demented Shaman and Plague Rider. They are support heroes that are item independent and don't require a ton of farm to be effective.

Also, the camera lock is in the options menu

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
BloodElfHunter said:

If you go into the Control options, there's a tick to Lock Camera to your hero at the top right.

Slightly out-dated skill tier list from this hero guide:
honexptiers.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
handofg0d said:
Before I jump in - is this better or worse than League of Legends?
Biased, but I'd say the game is a lot better, community worse. You'll find that it runs and looks better. Lags less.

Ok thanks guys. Btw, the free account doesn't let you use match matchimg, only practice games. I've been joining ones labeled NOOBS ONLY but I'm pretty sure its just so pros can farm us and laugh. :lol :lol

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
handofg0d said:

Better game (the presentation is much more professional and the gameplay is more rewarding), worse community. Both are worth playing, though. (I'm on a LoL kick right now and will probably switch back to HoN in a few days, then go back to LoL again. Rinse and repeat).

blitz64

handofg0d said:

It is not better or worst. Just different. More variety in this genre is a good thing.

Sorta like Team Fortress 2 is League of Legends
Left for Dead is Heroes of Newerth.

As for camera, I remapped the C button to the spacebar since my left thumb never does anything. I do have the spacebar pressed down often to focus on my hero. I think LoL has spacebar as default for focusing on the hero, don't remember.

Then I got play Starcraft 2 and I can't remap the spacebar to focus on the unit. what a pain in the a$$.

The only thing I noticed that seems worse than LOL is the character selection screen unless I'm missing something. It really needs a way to sorta them or filter by name like LOL.. gameplay wise it seems much more advanced. Oh and the minimap is MUCH worse than lol. I miss the minimap the most.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, the green/red block minimap isn't too intuitive, and definitely a step behind LoL's portraits-on-minimap.

Swag

If I was to start playing this game on a free weekend, I think the community would probably turn me away pretty quickly :lol

Mudkips

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
If I was to start playing this game on a free weekend, I think the community would probably turn me away pretty quickly :lol

This.

HoN isn't a game you go to for the community, it's a game you go to despite/in spite of/to spite it.

Swag

Mudkips said:
This.

HoN isn't a game you go to for the community, it's a game you go to despite/in spite of/to spite it.

Has Team Matchmaking been implemented yet? If it has I'd get so much more enjoyment just stacking my side and facing other stacked teams. It seems that's all that the Pubs became when I stopped playing, teams with 3-4 friends against randoms.

Hate stacked pub games

Sebulon3k said:

So far out of the 5 games I've done no one will speak at all.

Type in "/join clan neogaf" to join the gaf channel. If we get enough people we could start a no stats game and put an experienced player on each side to show you all the ropes.

Edit : there's no one else on :lol , at the very least it's useful to find other newbie gaffers.

Swag

BloodElfHunter said:
Anyone know where to find a complete list of HON slang? I can't find a list on the official site.

I'm sure we could make one in this thread, what are you having trouble understanding?

Sebulon3k said:
I'm sure we could make one in this thread, what are you having trouble understanding?

Pretty much everything but I'm seeing "hat trick" and "denied alot" Also do people use MIA in this game for missing people like in LOL? No one types or uses voice chat at all.. I'm guessing because we're restricted to shitty practice games only.

Davidion

PillowKnight said:
Type in "/join clan neogaf" to join the gaf channel. If we get enough people we could start a no stats game and put an experienced player on each side to show you all the ropes.

Edit : there's no one else on :lol , at the very least it's useful to find other newbie gaffers.

:lol how big is the regular crowd? Not that I was any good at it in the first place, but I kinda grew away from this game after a while and when SC2 Beta kinda demolished the clan base.

BloodElfHunter said:
Pretty much everything but I'm seeing "hat trick" and "denied alot" Also do people use MIA in this game for missing people like in LOL? No one types or uses voice chat at all.. I'm guessing because we're restricted to shitty practice games only.

Denied is when a hero kills a creep from his own side to "deny" their enemies the gold and a large chunk of EXP they'd get.
A hat trick is what happens when a hero gets like 3 or 4 kills in a short amount of time.

TheExodu5

Banned
blitz64 said:
Sorta like Team Fortress 2 is League of Legends
Left for Dead is Heroes of Newerth.

More like Halo is League of Legends
And Counter-Strike is Heroes of Newerth

BloodElfHunter said:
The only thing I noticed that seems worse than LOL is the character selection screen unless I'm missing something. It really needs a way to sorta them or filter by name like LOL.. gameplay wise it seems much more advanced. Oh and the minimap is MUCH worse than lol. I miss the minimap the most.

I prefer HoN's minimap because it's actually colorblind friendly. I can barely tell the difference in between the red and green outlines in LoL.

Davidion said:
:lol how big is the regular crowd? Not that I was any good at it in the first place, but I kinda grew away from this game after a while and when SC2 Beta kinda demolished the clan base.
It's pretty small. I normally see one or two guys on when im on. Although, the last time we had a "let's get together sort of thing" a bunch of people showed up.

So, finally people talk. Calling me the worst ever and a feeder for 30 minutes. haha They kept telling me to leave but f that, they could give advice instead, it is a nostat practice game after all. Eventually all 4 rage quit haha.

TheExodu5

Banned
BloodElfHunter said:
So, finally people talk. Calling me the worst ever and a feeder for 30 minutes. haha They kept telling me to leave but f that, they could give advice instead, it is a nostat practice game after all. Eventually all 4 rage quit haha.

Just stick with it. You'll meet a few players who are at least willing to help out the new players. Maybe watch a few replays to get an idea of what the good players do. Check the guides on the HoN forums to have a general idea of how to build the heroes you're playing. The rest will come with time.

As advice to a new player: play very defensively. It's better to stay alive and get a few less kills than to play overly aggressive and die a lot. Your deaths give a lot of gold and experience to the enemy team, which will give them a huge advantage.

The horrible community was definitely the best part about dota. If you sucked, people would cuss at you. If you owned, same thing happened. By far the best way to have fun was to mess with the people, who were constantly nerd-raging. I'd go for HoN if my poor old laptop could handle it.

TheExodu5 said:
Just stick with it. You'll meet a few players who are at least willing to help out the new players. Maybe watch a few replays to get an idea of what the good players do. Check the guides on the HoN forums to have a general idea of how to build the heroes you're playing. The rest will come with time.

As advice to a new player: play very defensively. It's better to stay alive and get a few less kills than to play overly aggressive and die a lot. Your deaths give a lot of gold and experience to the enemy team, which will give them a huge advantage.

Thats one thing I'm noticing right away from LOL.. In HON if you die you feed the other team much much more and they get extremely more powerful quickly..Also hiding and runnig behind towers doesn't really help because they won't 3 shot people attacking you like in LOL.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, there isn't much punishment for death in LoL - you'll lose a portion of your gold with every death in Newerth. So ganking carries and other item-heavy heroes is very important.

Nome

HoN is definitely a much more unforgiving game than LoL. I'm one of the designers working on the game ([S2]Nome), and it's one of the things that gets brought up every time we make a change to the game. Cater to the hardcore, or help out with the newbies? Unfortunately in this genre, it's pretty difficult to do both at the same time. Even worse is the fact that DotA (the game HoN is based on) was EXTREMELY unforgiving, and our target audience is largely the seasoned DotA player.

So whenever we do end up making a concession to the newbie crowd, the hardcore crowd makes a huge deal out of it :lol

Mileena

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
More like Halo is League of Legends
And Counter-Strike is Heroes of Newerth
so LoL is a piece of shit compared to HoN? I might have to check this game out, I kinda <3 DotA

Anksta

I really hope more people get into this game. It's really fun to play. Shame about the elitist community though.

TheExodu5

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
so LoL is a piece of shit compared to HoN? I might have to check this game out, I kinda <3 DotA

If you're of the more competitive mindset, and I know you love CS, then yeah I think you'll be more inclined towards HoN.

corkscrewblow said:

Theyre both great games.. LOL does a ton of things better than HON...while HON does a lot of things better than LOL..

Alex

I cannot stand Heroes compared to League and I hate Halo and love CS, so the awkward analogies are confusing

The only real boons I, for personal tastes, associate with Heroes are mostly due to it seeming somewhat more niche and it's more of a vibe and less of a rule considering the setup.

Top Bottom