• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Minute Hero Second (November 4th): 2010/11's best game?

GhaleonQ

The sequel to the best PSP game is now dependent on XSeed's love and affection for us, since it's out in Japan this year. Hopefully, they respond to my e-mail quickly.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/04/half_minute_hero_sequel

Guests are still doing the art and music, yes, and Marvelous is doing the 30-second gameplay. It sounds like this has edged a little bit more toward a "traditional" RPG (in the sense that gameplay appears to be a quest and not a minigame). "When moving around in the fields, time will freeze, allowing you to freely explore. Events may or may not have the time limit, depending on the content of the event."

Click through to see the 5 new sections, which sound like they could form a more cohesive story than last time. They read hilarious, but I can't really tell if they fit the 4+1 molds of the previous game. It looks pretty likely, though.

Also:
"•Hero Wars
A four player RPG battle mode. For Hero 30 Second, wireless play offers new stages and rules. You can play tag match or co-op, and can make use of the stages that you create in the game's Romancing Tsukureeru mode.
•Romancing Tsukureeru
An edit mode that lets you create 30 second quests. You can place buildings and land formations, set up events where you converse with townfolk, and make other such settings. The quests can be uploaded to a server and shared with other players.
•Infinite Hero
A new mode of play where you continue defeating demon kings over and over again. Each foe has to be killed in 30 seconds, of course.
According to Famitsu, Hero 30 Second is currently 77% complete."

undu

Half-Minute Hero is probably my favourite PSP game, this game isn't coming soon enough :D

Aeana

Half-Minute Hero was a really pleasant surprise for me. I didn't expect to enjoy it nearly as much as I did. I really can't wait for the sequel.

duckroll

GhaleonQ said:
Guests are still doing the art and music, yes, and Opus is doing the 30-second gameplay.

Are you sure? I've seen no indication that Opus is developing the game. The director for the game this time is also the producer (who was the producer in the first game). He's a MMV dude.

Also, there is only one story mode this time - Hero30 has 5 different scenarios, they're not different game types.

Boney

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
HOLY FUCK.

HOLY FUCK.

HOLY FUCK.

HOLY.

FUCK.

HOLY FUCK.

HOLY FUCK.
That was my exact same reaction in the Famitsu thread :lol

I knew I could count on you Ghaleon :)

I can only hope they bring this over.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
duckroll said:
Also, there is only one story mode this time - Hero30 has 5 different scenarios, they're not different game types.
So much win.

And I kind of liked the other modes. But yeah, this is how to do it.

Boney

Banned
Aww... I actually liked a lot the other modes...

Especially if the main meat was still in the hero30 mode.

GhaleonQ

Boney said:
I knew I could count on you Ghaleon :)

I can only hope they bring this over.

1. I cannot believe this earned a sequel.

2. I cannot believe the Western United States isn't at work yet AND WON'T ANSWER MY PRESSING E-MAIL ABOUT LOCALIZATION. Like I said, I'll post whatever XSeed sends to me.

duckroll said:
Are you sure? I've seen no indication that Opus is developing the game. The director for the game this time is also the producer (who was the producer in the first game). He's a MMV dude.

Oh, I have no inside information or the actual magazine. I was just cribbing from Andriasang. Listen to Duckroll, everyone, as always! Could you clarify the Opus situation, though? I thought that was the "team" name of the dojin guy who did the Internet version of the game. So, Time Of Fantasia was so short because it was essentially a big-budget dojin game, and this is a return to the Marvelous assistance of Half-Minute Hero.

Also, is that the case? I think people were falsely critical of the other modes, so that figures. I at least wanted a Knight 30 back.

Boney

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
1. I cannot believe this earned a sequel.

2. I cannot believe the Western United States isn't at work yet AND WON'T ANSWER MY PRESSING E-MAIL ABOUT LOCALIZATION. Like I said, I'll post whatever XSeed sends to me.

Oh, I have no inside information or the actual magazine. I was just cribbing from Andriasang. Listen to Duckroll, everyone, as always! Could you clarify the Opus situation, though? I thought that was the "team" name of the dojin guy who did the Internet version of the game. So, Time Of Fantasia was so short because it was essentially a big-budget dojin game, and this is a return to the Marvelous assistance of Half-Minute Hero.

Also, is that the case? I think people were falsely critical of the other modes, so that figures. I at least wanted a Knight 30 back.
I'm as shocked as you are, this is like getting a Mother 4 to me :lol

But yeah, the other modes were great, definately added a ton of value to the game, which would've been stale if they just added more hero stages.

And man the writing in those were hilarious, I know Princess 30 is hated the most, but I seriously thought it was one of the greatest modes, only thanks to the writing.

I mean a 30 second curfew!? :lol

duckroll

GhaleonQ said:

Opus has nothing to do with doujin games. They're a normal developer of shovelware and low budget titles. They were probably contracted by MMV to handle development for HMH because it was cheap. The doujin guy who conceived of the HMH idea is UUE. He's just one guy and he has his own site. As far as I know he doesn't work at Opus. MMV liked his doujin idea so much they decided to have him expand on the idea for a full game.

I have no idea what's going on with HMH2. I just know that the producer of HMH (the guy at MMV) is producing and directing the sequel. I haven't see any confirmation that Opus is developing it either. So that's why I'm asking if you're sure. I don't think Anoop has said that Opus is developing it either...

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
GhaleonQ said:
I liked the other modes, Princess 30 tweaked a little would be aces.

But if it's between getting MORE and MORE VARIED Hero 30 stuff over the hodgepodge of modes, I'll take this any day.

GhaleonQ

duckroll said:
Opus has nothing to do with doujin games. They're a normal developer of shovelware and low budget titles. They were probably contracted by MMV to handle development for HMH because it was cheap. The doujin guy who conceived of the HMH idea is UUE. He's just one guy and he has his own site. As far as I know he doesn't work at Opus. MMV liked his doujin idea so much they decided to have him expand on the idea for a full game.

I have no idea what's going on with HMH2. I just know that the producer of HMH (the guy at MMV) is producing and directing the sequel. I haven't see any confirmation that Opus is developing it either. So that's why I'm asking if you're sure. I don't think Anoop has said that Opus is developing it either...

Ah, okay. I knew he went by UUE, but I had no idea what Opus is. I just assumed that it was "his team" because of Time Of Fantasia (the story of their collaboration, I guess, is still a mystery?).

duckroll

GhaleonQ said:
Ah, okay. I knew he went by UUE, but I had no idea what Opus is. I just assumed that it was "his team" because of Time Of Fantasia (the story of their collaboration, I guess, is still a mystery?).

I dunno what you mean by mystery. I already explained how the game was developed. In fact, I just checked the HMH credits again, and interestingly enough Kenichiro Takai is listed as "Producer and Director" at the end, even though UUE (Kotaro Yoshida) gets credited as director at the start. So I guess UUE could still be working on HMH2 in the same capacity. UUE had nothing to do with Zikan de Fantasia.

Grimmy

Banned
Here's what Tom Lipschultz from XSEED said about HMH2 on the PSN blog:

"We just found out about the sequel today, ourselves. We’ll look into it. In the meantime, tell all your friends to go buy non-used copies of the first game — THOUSANDS of them — so our number-crunchers can make up their minds on the second. ;)"

Well we know the 1st one didn't sell very well (18,000 copies in North America only alas), but hopefully they will still try with the 2nd.

duckroll

Complete list of contributing composers:
Kenji Ito, Yoko Shimomura, Yasunori Mitsuda, Masashi Hamauzu, Kumi Tanioka, Masaharu Iwata, Manabu Namiki, Yoshitaka Hirota, Motoi Sakuraba, Michiko Naruke, Noriyuki Iwadare, Haruka Shimotsuki, Toshikazu Tanaka, Hideki Asanaka, Maiko Iuchi, Takaaki Nakahashi, Otomania.

There's a full list of contributing character designers too, but I don't think anyone knows who they are. Like the first game, they're mostly freelancer illustrators with personal sites and whatnot.

GhaleonQ

Great news on both fronts. I hope XSeed tries a deal with the original, but that they're open to it is all that I demand at this point.

Top Bottom