• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LJ-Age: So I got reprimanded at work today. (now with Savage Werewolf Dong Pic!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
I work at the Tobyhanna Army Depot. I'm a supervisor of material expediting and oversee a lot of workers. Anyway.

I have an impeccable record. I don't get in trouble. I do my job, without being too egotistical, better than pretty much everyone else there in the department. I get paid well and I love to do it.

But sometimes... I think they take the policies a little too far. Or maybe I'm just annoyed it hit me (because I genuinely wasn't thinking about it).

We have a lot of down time at work, and I usually use it and my breaks to sketch concepts in my art pad for this comic I've worked on for the better part of five years. It's just something I do for fun and I don't really intend for it to go anywhere.

Anyway, it's a personal sketchbook and I left it closed in my office. People go in the office from time to time to hand in paper work and whatnot. So, I had one drawing... a sketch of a man, who transforms into a beast. Now, the beast was showing its genitalia (since obviously the beast can't take the man's clothes with it, wouldn't fit). I mean, it was flopping there the way it would on a horse or a dog. There was nothing sexual about it.

Anyway apparently this was "sexually offensive" and greatly offended someone or other, since today I was pulled into the Commander's office and written up. First time in four years. Really irritated me.

Should I be irritated or did I do something wrong?

Update:

ok guys so you have a line of reference I really quickly rushed up a sketch of some vague approximation of what I had before. um i didn't really take my time or anything with it so it's kind of fucked up but it gives you an idea of the type of thing it was...

NSFW - SAVAGE WEREWOLF DONG INSIDE

Amir0x

Banned
It's more like a tasteful nude composite than DICKSLOL, but yeah.

It's my art style so I never really thought much about it before. It was in a closed sketchbook in my office - in theory, they don't even have evidence I drew it at work.

Anyway I realize people are really sensitive about this sort of thing but I think sometimes that sensitivity goes too far. It really just looked like a realistic animal with a bit more venom.

WillyFive

Well, it is a very embarrassing drawing to anyone, and you shouldn't have left it there alone, so it is your fault, but you should also be irritated, just because you did not give a good first impression of your comic.

Was it visible for others to see? If so, then I would've put it away. If you work with some cool cats who wouldn't give a shit and joke about it, then I don't see why someone would have a problem.

Zoe

On one hand, that was your private property that somebody would have had to deliberately go through to see (though they could always use the "it fell open" excuse). On the other hand, that kind of material doesn't really belong on company property.

wait wait wait...it was closed in the sketchbook? I was under the impression that it was out in the open. If it was closed in the sketchbook then you did nothing wrong. My bad.

Amir0x

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Was it visible for others to see? If so, then I would've put it away. If you work with some cool cats who wouldn't give a shit and joke about it, then I don't see why someone would have a problem.

No, the sketchbook was closed in my office. On top my desk. I am pretty sure someone saw the sketchbook and got interested in what was inside, and then promptly got offended that it had nudity at all :/

I mean, I understand the practicality behind the Commander writing me up. They have to be super sensitive to this sort of thing. On the other hand, it's still irritating. Like, I don't feel ok with being written up anyway :lol

tokkun

So was the book closed in this particular instance and someone opened it without your permission, or did you forget and leave it open?

I've almost been in that position before, so I always made it a habit to only do "safe" doodling when working. But no, I don't think you did anything wrong. It's all matter of context. In your office, you got written up. In a more creative company, you'd have probably got a mention in the company newsletter and credits as "schlongmaster" or something.

And never, ever, leave anything even remotely on or about your desk that people can snoop through. Most of them are a bunch of nosy fucks.

Surely your feeling of offense at someone going through your stuff would negate the offense caused by your drawing?

That sentence doesn't feel grammatically correct whichever way I put it, but you should get the point.

Amir0x

Banned
tokkun said:
So was the book closed in this particular instance and someone opened it without your permission, or did you forget and leave it open?

As I said in the OP, the sketchbook was closed on top of my desk in MY office. People come into my office to drop off paperwork and timesheets (since I have to enter paperwork into the system).

I never even really considered someone might be offended by it because it wasn't done distastefully. It's just an animal with its junk.

Brinbe

That's fucked, despite what they think of your drawing, they shouldn't go through your shit like that.

Anyway, lesson learned I suppose? Don't draw something that "extreme" @ work.

Amir0x

Banned
Would love to scan the image but that's the other thing that pissed me off... they CONFISCATED my sketch book :/

So, the person that complained went into your office and opened up the sketchbook and saw the picture? If so, that seems like they should get in trouble for nosing through your stuff. That would be like somebody having a camera on their desk and a coworker went over and looked through the pictures that were previously taken and found a nude picture and complained to HR about it.

People have no business with your personal work, also how did skmeoen manage to get into your office?

Things like this would annoy me, your office culture seems to be anal about silly things. Tell them to relax and set your stance.

I hate people who are serious 24/7 @ work, take it fuckig easy. It's bad enough I have to see them 5 days of the week.

Amir0x said:
I work at the Tobyhanna Army Depot. I'm a supervisor of material expediting and oversee a lot of workers. Anyway.

I have an impeccable record. I don't get in trouble. I do my job, without being too egotistical, better than pretty much everyone else there in the department. I get paid well and I love to do it.

But sometimes... I think they take the policies a little too far. Or maybe I'm just annoyed it hit me (because I genuinely wasn't thinking about it).

We have a lot of down time at work, and I usually use it and my breaks to sketch concepts in my art pad for this comic I've worked on for the better part of five years. It's just something I do for fun and I don't really intend for it to go anywhere.

Anyway, it's a personal sketchbook and I left it closed in my office. People go in the office from time to time to hand in paper work and whatnot. So, I had one drawing... a sketch of a man, who transforms into a beast. Now, the beast was showing its genitalia (since obviously the beast can't take the man's clothes with it, wouldn't fit). I mean, it was flopping there the way it would on a horse or a dog. There was nothing sexual about it.

Anyway apparently this was "sexually offensive" and greatly offended someone or other, since today I was pulled into the Commander's office and written up. First time in four years. Really irritated me.

Should I be irritated or did I do something wrong?
Companies cannot afford to allow anything that might be construed as sexual harrassment, whether it really is or isn't. The mere appearance of impropriety cannot be tolerated due to the legal risk, hence what happened to you. Same goes for the military.

Zoe

Amir0x said:
Would love to scan the image but that's the other thing that pissed me off... they CONFISCATED my sketch book :/

From an HR perspective I can understand that because they need the supporting documentation for your file, but to take the whole book is unfair to you personally. Maybe you should try asking for it back minus the offending art.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Amir0x said:
Maybe the guy that found it was into furries and wanted it for his own personal use?

Treo360

ClosingADoor said:
I think someone should be getting a warning for going through a coworkers personal stuff.
This. Your personal property was rummaged thru. I'm sure the write up was just a formality, a sort of CYA thing. I'm sure that you were told to either keep something like that at home next time or make sure that it is stowed away out of sight.

Futureman

Did you get a chance to tell your side of the story?

If it was closed on top of your desk in your office and someone went through YOUR shit they should be written up, not you.

oh, and you draw dicks at work.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I think its pretty messed up that someone went into your office and went through your things but you really shouldn't of brought / drawn something like that in the workplace to begin with. And you can bet that whomever reported it has probably told a bunch of people by now and put his/her own negative spin/whatever on it.

Is it possible that someone got a glimpse of you drawing it and that is what sparked their curiosity?

Amir0x said:
in theory, they .....

They do now?

Amir0x

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
What the hell? Is this high school? :lol :lol

EDIT-Beaten by Joey.

They're really crazy about stuff that even hints at offending someone. I mean, they gave everyone in the depot sensitivity training after Obama was in office... although that was probably required given how many racists we have.

I did ask for my sketchbook back, and he said something like "is that what you should be thinking about right now?" or something to that effect.

I felt a little weird at that point saying "yeah it's kind of important to me, that sketchbook contains three months of work."

I dunno maybe I'll broach the subject again later.

I understand why they did but it's the kind of thing you can't help but still be annoyed with :(

Futureman said:
Did you get a chance to tell your side of the story?

If it was closed on top of your desk in your office and someone went through YOUR shit they should be written up, not you.

oh, and you draw dicks at work.

I did. I told them it was closed on my desk, and so I didn't anticipate anyone seeing it. They said they understand that but it really shouldn't be in the workplace at all.

That's when I said I accept that and just want my sketchbook back, and he replied with the above.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
teruterubozu said:
Because you work in an Army Depot, the HR rules are more stringent and authoritative perhaps?

I kind of doubt it. Corporate America is worse when it comes to HR being abused. No matter how unwarranted the claim is companies will base the decisions on the possibility of getting sued.

Socreges

Banned
I don't think you should get disciplined for that. The book was in your office and closed.

As for whether or not you did something wrong, drawing a flopping beast penis, to me, is a very weird thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom