• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 (NA) Demo Impressions

Volcynika

So rather than keep it in that old thread, let's make a new one!

The Sega blog entry about it and explains how online works:

The Phantasy Star Portable 2 demo has just gone live on the US PSN store!

Download it, play it online with friends, and let us know what you think! This demo is built to give you a good sampling of what the full game has to offer, which is a whole lot of awesome online play (and offline!), all free of subscriptions.

We can also confirm how getting online will work with the full game. Each copy will come with a unique, one-time code that will be linked to your PSN Account. When you buy your copy at Gamestop or any video game store, you’ll find the code inside the box. Likewise, if you download it digitally, the code will either be in the digital manual you get, or will automatically flag to your account.

Once your PSN account has this code activated, you’ll be all set to go online in the full game, and your membership is good forever. That’s our little way of saying thanks for picking up the game and helping support the franchise.

We’ll have more news about the full game, including a new trailer, in the not too far off future – until then, we hope you all enjoy the demo!

I'm still downloading it and apparently gotta update my FW (one of the few that does not homebrew!), but I'm hoping I can get online working with this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Online is working fine with 5.50-M33-D and PSNlover/fucker.prx and the 620.prx (to decrypt newer PSN stuff)

I'm digging the combat system, but I'm not sure what the chains mean.

Defeated the first boss so far.

It seems I can't import my PSP1 characters into the PSP2 demo, though. Says my data is corrupt but it isn't. Has anyone been able to do this?

TheSeks

Gravijah said:
Fuck, another game I won't be able to rent...

Uh, if you are able to rent PSP games, you can. You can play the multiplayer through ad-hoc party. You just can't use the ONLINE SERVERS of Sega's.

Gravijah

TheSeks said:
Uh, if you are able to rent PSP games, you can. You can play the multiplayer through ad-hoc party. You just can't use the ONLINE SERVERS of Sega's.

Hmm... not too bad. Still sucks. Would work with the PS3 with the ad-hoc thinger, right?

Ridley327

There's no reason why it shouldn't work over Ad-hoc Party. The only possible downside is if the game is playable with more than 4 people, since that's as big as the rooms get in the software.

TheSeks

Gravijah said:
Hmm... not too bad. Still sucks. Would work with the PS3 with the ad-hoc thinger, right?

That's what Ad-hoc party is, so yes. ;)

Good luck finding others that are going that route. PSP2's biggest addition is adding online servers of Segas since everyone bitched about ad-hoc only and no online last outing.

For now, you can play the demo online through Sega's servers. Dunno if they'll shut them down in a month when the PSP2 retail hits. They didn't shut down PSU's 360 demo/beta servers for a GOOD (like 3-5 years) while.

Ridley327 said:
>>Stuff<<

Online is 4 players in a party. You go by party system. It's basically the same as ad-hoc party, but easier to do than tunneling the ad-hoc stuff.

So basically, you don't really lose anything buying the game used except Sega's servers and an easier to play with population.

I skipped the first PSP, is there an easy way to add people online without getting their cards or whatever?

PSP1 had NO online. So your question is kinda "buh?" As far as PSP2, I dunno. You should be able to join a passworded game and then just exchange cards with other GAF people and then later on you can just make it "friends only"/partner cards you have are the only people able to join your party/game on the servers.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I really need to update my psp... I'm on 3.71 M33-4.

I hope the full game works on custom firmware. Lets hear some impressions guys (while I google search how to update my damn system).

TheSeks

Lain said:
Btw, it's supposed to be the same as the Japanese demo right?

AFAIK, yes. You just don't need the online trial key the Japan demo had. You can play the game online with no issues.

Lain

TheSeks said:
AFAIK, yes. You just don't need the online trial key the Japan demo had. You can play the game online with no issues.

Nice.
I'm guessing that to import a character, one has to have completed the first PSP right? I still had some mission to do in it, so maybe I should go finish it before PSP2.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Voice acting only during cutscenes? Unless that was to make the demo smaller (in which case they shoulda removed the OP) we can safely say this games been Segac'd!

Switching to 1st person is now L+Dpad Up? Thats kinda awkward but they are pressed for buttons so its understandable.

Interesting story so far. Finally getting some more backstory of PSU's ancient past.

Emilia said "woot" :lol

Looooove the lobby music!

Why are PMs now called MySynths??

The menu order suckkkks like the first PS:p. Player Information should be first not Items! Plus the Mission Data part seems kinda useless.

Partner Cards look spiffier!

Segac said:
Each copy will come with a unique, one-time code that will be linked to your PSN Account.

What if ya got multiple accounts? The servers better not be split up between regions @_@

Segac said:
When you buy your copy at Gamestop or any video game store

Singling out Gamestop? Incoming store exclusive DLC HERE WE GO -_-

Lain said:
Yeah, I thought I remembered hearing actual voices in the japanese demo during the exchanges and was wondering if I was remembering wrong. Guess I wasn't.
I really hope it is just for the demo and not for the final game as well.

I dunno about the JP demo but the first PS:p had voice overs during story related character portrait-type chats.

Tellaerin

TheSeks said:
Online is working fine with 5.50-M33-D and PSNlover/fucker.prx and the 620.prx (to decrypt newer PSN stuff)

I'm digging the combat system, but I'm not sure what the chains mean.

Defeated the first boss so far.

It seems I can't import my PSP1 characters into the PSP2 demo, though. Says my data is corrupt but it isn't. Has anyone been able to do this?

Had no problems importing my data, though you're not missing much. Your appearance and the outfit you were wearing when you last saved carry over, but none of your levels, weapons and armor. You do get a pretty decent starter weapon and a room deco (yes, you can decorate your room in PSP2) for importing your old character data, which is nice.

Just finished the little scene in my character's room, and I like where the story seems to be going. Emilia's voice is a bit grating, but personality-wise, she's actually pretty amusing. I'm relieved she's not the overly precious moe-blob I was expecting (well, fearing) when I first saw her character design.

Can't wait to play around with this online!

Lain

Lindsay said:
Voice acting only during cutscenes? Unless that was to make the demo smaller (in which case they shoulda removed the OP) we can safely say this games been Segac'd!

Yeah, I thought I remembered hearing actual voices in the japanese demo during the exchanges and was wondering if I was remembering wrong. Guess I wasn't.
I really hope it is just for the demo and not for the final game as well.

TheSeks

Tellaerin said:
Had no problems importing my data, though you're not missing much. Your appearance and the outfit you were wearing when you last saved carry over, but none of your levels, weapons and armor. You do get a pretty decent starter weapon and a room deco (yes, you can decorate your room in PSP2) for importing your old character data, which is nice.

Just finished the little scene in my character's room, and I like where the story seems to be going. Emilia's voice is a bit grating, but personality-wise, she's actually pretty amusing. I'm relieved she's not the overly precious moe-blob I was expecting (well, fearing) when I first saw her character design.

Can't wait to play around with this online!

Maybe it isn't letting me import because I'm on CFW. Sucks, but eh... no biggie.

matmanx1

This one sort of fell off my radar until I saw this thread. Waaaay too many good PSP RPG's coming out in a very short time all of a sudden and I still haven't quite finished DQ9 (which has pretty much OWNED my gaming time for the last couple of weeks) yet.

I enjoyed the first one up to a point but with Ys out today and Valkyria hitting in 2 weeks and BbS hitting the week after that it's going to be awhile before I can put any time into anything else. Still, it's a fantastic time to be a PSP RPG fan! :D

Tellaerin

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I liked the first one but codes to play online make me kind of not want to buy it just on principle. Such bullshit.

I remember them doing the same thing with PSO GC, where you had to enter the code from the sticker on the inside of the case and the game was tied to your hardware after that. This doesn't seem to be anything new, really.

Tellaerin said:
I remember them doing the same thing with PSO GC, where you had to enter the code from the sticker on the inside of the case and the game was tied to your hardware after that. This doesn't seem to be anything new, really.
And I didn't buy that so...?

ShadiWulf

just got done playing 2 missions with a friend.

My hands are a little cramped.. but i don't mind! Much more fun then I ever had with PSU!

mollipen

That’s our little way of saying thanks for picking up the game and helping support the franchise.

I love how they make it sound like they're doing such a favor for people who purchase the game.

ShadiWulf

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I liked the first one but codes to play online make me kind of not want to buy it just on principle. Such bullshit.
Well.. it's either codes with games or pay monthly for online.

I know which one I would rather have. Something has to pay for the servers.

TheSeks

ShadiWulf said:
Well.. it's either codes with games or pay monthly for online.

I know which one I would rather have. Something has to pay for the servers.

It's more an anti-piracy thing than anything.

Blame SOCOM Fireteam 3's successful plan of this same thing having other companies do it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This game looks remarkably clearer then the first which if you looked closely enough seemed like it had like a grid or something over it.

Tellaerin said:

PSU in Japanland also had online codes. Dunno about PSØ but that and PSU in the west didn't have no codes.

ShadiWulf

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I didn't know a single piece of paper was so powerful.
If you aren't gonna support SEGA by buying the game new then you don't have the right to whine about not being able to use their servers. :D

Tellaerin

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
And I didn't buy that so...?

Just saying that it's nothing new for these games, so I don't see much point in getting hung up on it. PSO required you to enter a code that tied the game to your hardware. PSU PC required a Guardian's License (subscription) to play online. TBH, I'd rather have the code. :p

Getting back to the demo...

Really liking the character customization options I'm seeing here. You can now learn to equip higher-ranked weapons and additional weapon types using a point-buy system. Certain weapons proficiencies cost more or less points depending on your current type (character class). Spend enough time and you'll eventually be able to equip all weapons at S-rank on any class. There are also class-based special abilities that you can learn and equip, some of which remain usable when you switch to another class.

ShadiWulf said:
If you aren't gonna support SEGA by buying the game new then you don't have the right to whine about not being able to use their servers. :D

What the fuck are you talking about?

Tellaerin said:
Just saying that it's nothing new for these games, so I don't see much point in getting hung up on it. PSO required you to enter a code that tied the game to your hardware. PSU PC required a Guardian's License (subscription) to play online. TBH, I'd rather have the code. :p

Are you sure PSO on xbox had a code? I don't remember one. Most of them made you pay but there was no code. Or do you mean dreamcast? You guys seem to keep beating around the bush of what I'm saying. It's bullshit plain and simple.

ShadiWulf

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What the fuck are you talking about?
Well, I don't see why you would be getting all angry about codes if you plan on buying the game new. Once it's entered it's tied to your PSN account. Nothing to worry about. Only people who would be worried about codes are people who plan on buying the game used and not supporting SEGA, or people who planned on pirating the game.

ShadiWulf said:
Well, I don't see why you would be getting all angry about codes if you plan on buying the game new. Once it's entered it's tied to your PSN account. Nothing to worry about. Only people who would be worried about codes are people who plan on buying the game used and not supporting SEGA, or people who planned on pirating the game.

You seriously don't? It's bullshit. I'm not sure why this concept is so hard to understand.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are you sure PSO on xbox had a code? I don't remember one. Most of them made you pay but there was no code. Or do you mean dreamcast? You guys seem to keep beating around the bush of what I'm saying. It's bullshit plain and simple.

I dunno, if ya still have the box/manual check for yourself? Codes and paying to play online have been with the series since its humble beginnings. Sure one or the other haven't been in every release but ya shoulda been whining about it forever ago. What we should be weary of is more retailer exclusive dlc ~_~

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
You seriously don't? It's bullshit. I'm not sure why this concept is so hard to understand.

I honestly have no idea what you're going on about. Do you go on this rant about every PC game with an activation key too?

Volcynika

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
They're not the same?

It kinda can be the same in some cases. Steamworks required games must be tied to one Steam account and cannot be transferred to another basically...ever. Difference is that PSP2 can be played on other machines, but one feature (namely the use of Sega's servers) will obviously not be usable on other machines after the code has already been used.

LOVED the demo. They probably should have included all this stuff in the first game, but the "My Room" feature and the hub world add a lot to the atmosphere. This has moved up to a day one purchase for me (if it's on PSN).

Volcynika

mistuhcahlos said:
LOVED the demo. They probably should have included all this stuff in the first game, but the "My Room" feature and the hub world add a lot to the atmosphere. This has moved up to a day one purchase for me (if it's on PSN).

It will be available on PSN.

Volcynika said:
It kinda can be the same in some cases. Steamworks required games must be tied to one Steam account and cannot be transferred to another basically...ever. Difference is that PSP2 can be played on other machines, but one feature (namely the use of Sega's servers) will obviously not be usable on other machines after the code has already been used.

If you're so hell bent on using that excuse, I'm pretty sure steam is allowed to be installed on more than one computer. Tied to a steam account as it were so it can be played on other machines... I just don't like the idea of having a code that is only supplied in new copies to be able to play online. Seriously, you're just arguing with yourself. I don't agree, I'm not sure why this is so complicated.

Volcynika

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
If you're so hell bent on using that excuse, I'm pretty sure steam is allowed to be installed on more than one computer. Tied to a steam account as it were so it can be played on other machines... I just don't like the idea of having a code that is only supplied in new copies to be able to play online. Seriously, you're just arguing with yourself. I don't agree, I'm not sure why this is so complicated.

Hell bent on using an excuse? I'm giving an example man and only replied to you once, don't have to get up in arms about it. And you can sign on a certain number of PSPs with one PSN account. And considering that you dislike the code only for new copies of the game, the Steamworks example was more to point out how you can't sell that PC game once it's attached to an account, like other games with specific DRM. PC games sold as used never happen with DRM such as Steamworks. But go ahead, blow up at me again for just calmly trying to state a comparison.

Fine, then I propose a protest for every game that has online to need a code to play online. This is obviously the only sensible way to handle things as this thread has taught me.

robot

Another Phantasy Star means another instance where creating a robot or spellcaster sounds interesting, but when I get to the character creator I remember how awesome it is being a Hunter. Then come flashbacks of me smashing through enemies with crazy weapons, never knowing what a spell is or how firing a rifle feels.

And finally ending with me making another Hunter, probably with a beard.

Tellaerin

Also loving some of the QoL improvements. Being able to dump stuff into your shared storage from anywhere is awesome. Apparently you can only carry one scape doll on you at a time - I found another, but I couldn't pick it up. So I dropped the one I was carrying into my storage box right from the menu without having to exit the mission and grabbed the new one that dropped. There's also a little chime sound effect when a red box (rare) drops now, which is a small thing, but extremely cool. (I actually felt my heart start pounding when I heard that 'bling!' the second time, then was crushed when I saw it was just a scape doll. >.>)

Made a character, hopped in a lobby with three other players and proceeded to clear the first mission. Good times! :D

Not sure who to allocate the three skill points I received though. It was also confusing on how to compare weapons I picked up against what I already have equipped. Guess I need to read a guide?

Top Bottom