• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity revealed

Blueblur1

I'm going to preface this by saying that I searched and found no new threads. This was discussed yesterday in the Phantasy Star Portable 2 US Demo thread and I felt that it warranted it's own thread.

Anyway, an image of "the Best" version of Phantasy Star Portable 2 emerged yesterday and it teased an upcoming new version/faux sequel titled "Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity". Shortly after that, scans of a Japanese magazine appeared on the web with some information. I've cleaned up a translation found on the web and formatted it a bit for GAF's viewing pleasure.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity info
  • New Single Player Scenario dubbed "Episode 2."
  • Difficulty level “Infinity” has been added. Harder than S Rank difficulty.
  • All existing default characters for each race have been redesigned.
  • This game will have a“HUGE CONNECTION” with PSO.
  • The game is currently 50% finished.
The Dumans
  • New Race: Dumans. 5 races now.
  • Dumans are mutated humans. Their mutation is related to the SEED attacks from 3 years ago. The power of darkness is hidden within them, and are overwhelmingly more aggressive than the other races. They are noted for their pale skin and eye patches.
  • Dumans have an ability called Infinity Blast which shoots a huge laser beam. Dumans are proficient with Hunter and Force weapons. They seem to be very weak defensively.
Infinity Blast
  • A new blast that can only be used for a limited time. If you want to use it longer, you need to attack enemies continuously. Basically, keep on attacking to extend the blast.
  • The blast alters the aura of the weapon’s attack (not sure what this means yet) and can also be charged. There are 4 kinds of different effects which are based on your battle type.

Story Mode
  • The new Story mode is supposedly 1.5 times the length of vanilla PSP2's which is now dubbed "Episode 1." An epilogue explain what happens 1 year after the events Episode 1 and then Episode 2 picks up.
  • Episode 2's story will span the length of 1 year. The game's producer Satoshi Sakai calls this a "blank 1 year story."
  • Episode 2's story is centered around a new character, 15 year old Duman girl "Nagisa."
  • Nagisa has a eye patch on her right eye and carries a HUGE SWORD. She is wandering around the Gurhal system for some reason. Nagisa joins up with Little Wing and starts to argue with all of the staff. Her motives are unknown.
  • Nagisa is voiced by "Nana Mizuki."
Visual Lobby
  • Visual lobbies from the PSO series make a comeback.
  • The number of people who can join a lobby is the same as in PSO (100 people in a block, 12 people in a lobby).
  • That number may change in the final version.
  • You can chat with others and recruit people to your party.
Enemies
  • From PSO Ruins: Chaos Bringer
  • From PSO Mines: Garanz
  • From PSOe2: Olga Flow.
  • There is expected to be many more PSO monsters than vanilla PSP2.
Camera
  • Take Screenshots
  • Players will have the ability to take in-game screenshots. Pressing Select will activate Screenshot mode. After that, a player can take a screenshot by pressing the Start button.
Rebirth
  • The level cap for Infinity will be 200. Once a character hits cap, a "Rebirth" option will appear. Your character level will be reduced 1, but your character will have bonus stats. When you reach to Level 200, your rebirth character's stats would be over the normal limits.
Friend Search
  • When you pass by another player, you can exchange your character and mission code. This means your friend’s character’s data is in your game. Essentially, you and your friend can join missions together and your friend's character will become an NPC you can add to parties.
  • Mission codes allow you and your friend to do missions where the rare drop rate has significantly increased.
Import PSP2 Save
  • You can transfer your previous character’s level and items.
Satoshi Sakai Producer says:
  • Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity is not just a mere upgraded version.
  • The game’s title refers to how it will “break limits”
  • The game itself will have 50% more story than psp2 itself.
  • The game will make an appearance at this years Tokyo Game Show.
Release Information
  • Platform: Sony PSP
  • Release Date: Winter 2011

As I see it, if you were planning on buying PSP2 there are two ways you can react to this. A) You become excited at the prospect of more content and more throwbacks to PSO and buy PSP2 now and join the online community (it has free infrastructure play after all). Or B), you can skip PSP2 and go for PSP2i instead. (Maybe you've got a huge backlog you want to work on. I don't know.)

Personally, this hasn't deterred me from buying PSP2 now. I really want to support the game and demonstrate to Sega that I prefer this over Phantasy Star Universe. That's my two cents.

Khrno

So this basically it's going to be PSP2 Episode 1 and 2. And I thought it already had lots of content on its own, the Infinity version is going to be huge. But I don't really see it being released outside Japan, unless PSP2 sells good enough.

MrDaravon

Still buying PSP2 because it's awesome, and even if this comes out in the US I don't expect to see it for at least 8-10 months at the soonest.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Cool beans. Would be a shame if we don't get this. Here's hoping that Sega at least considers a PSN release for the rest of the world.

kiryogi said:

You can also see Olga flow in the flames at the beginning, glad they brought PSO Falz back.

Also maybe a note for the OP, the number of items in the game has been increased from 2000 to 3000.

Force characters can now cast techs while moving (will improve their usefullness a lot)

Race specific clothes can now be used by all races (Casts can still only use parts)

Lindsay said:
Awesome but to much re-used video!

"there's something calling me" Nagisa confirmed for vessel of Falz?

CAST fashion inferiority ;_;

Sakai has said since the games announcement that Nagisa's story is very sad, also her and Emilia are meant to represent the Yin and yang, Emilia represents Yang (light and positive) and Nagisa is Yin (the dark and shadows)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Intro love-love time!

Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II
Phantasy Star Online Episode IV: Blue Burst
Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution
Phantasy Star Ø
Phantasy Star Universe
Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus
Phantasy Star Portable
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity

For the current series they've come a long way since starship earth lol. AotI's is also laughable but better an the portable series ones a pretty great! Oh an say what ya will about PSU but turning PSO into a friggin card game was an enormous blunder! (in b4 I'm banned for ragging on card games again). I dunno how PSØ connects to any of the games but supposedly it does much like universe will now connect to online so I threw in the non-segac'd version (english version was vocal-less).

kyo_daikun said:
Sakai has said since the games announcement that Nagisa's story is very sad, also her and Emilia are meant to represent the Yin and yang, Emilia represents Yang (light and positive) and Nagisa is Yin (the dark and shadows)

What about Vivienne??

Wow, this sounds great. If there were ever a reason for me to get a PSP again (outside of Ryu ga Gotoku: Kurohyou), then this is that reason.

kiryogi

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Vivienne's just a side character in PSP2, im assuming she's nothing more than that in infinity as well.

I think Lindsay meant in terms of tragic char. Considering what Vivianne really was.

and I think it's Falz in the beginning. Right after that... you see Red Rings. :D

A friend pointed it out to me too, but after the Red Ring sequence you see a DNA strand being mixed with a dark strand. This must be related to Dumans and SEED.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
kiryogi said:
I think Lindsay meant in terms of tragic char. Considering what Vivianne really was.

Yup yup poor Vivi ;.; At least she has a cool part in the PSU Ep3 ending! Which I'll never get to experience again..... >.<

and I think it's Falz in the beginning. Right after that... you see Red Rings. :D

There are 2 rings whether thats just for the infinity symbol effect or noting how Rico & Flowen were friends/in the same boat idk! PSO Ep2 & IV need more love so I'll hope its an Olga Flow reference!

btw have any new weapon types been confirmed for this game? Cause Nagisas weapon really looks like a Gunblade from PSØ...!

The creature at the very, very begining is Olga Flow's second form (when it glows translucent orange). Olga Flow has already been confirmed for this game, and there is a screenshot out there of it in the infamous 'elevator' battle.

It's been stated that this game will tie together the PSO story with PSU's. At the very end of the video you see Nagisa fighting what looks to be Dark Falz's second form from PSO.

Lindsay said:
btw have any new weapon types been confirmed for this game? Cause Nagisas weapon really looks like a Gunblade from PSØ...!

It's confirmed there's no new weapon types im afraid.

Olga's first form in Infinity:

Olga-Flow.jpg

There's a picture of the second form but its a scan and you cant see much, hope they let you get Dark Flow and Dark Bridge as weapons in Infinity.

Really like the standard outfit for Newmans in Infinity (even if it does look a bit like a girl..)

default-male-newman.jpg

New info for today, there's a new field called "Beach"

Apparently it features enemies called Finjers from phantasy star zero, this new area will be playable at TGS

the-beach.jpg

You will also now be able to lock certain items so you can't accidently sell them, im assuming this will only be for A, S and maybe Infinity rank items (Infinity rank items aren't confirmed but I beleive they will definetly be included as 16-17 star items)

I wanted to make a thread but with my recent PSP2 i'll post this here.

The game has been dated for February 24 , 2011.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/18/psp2i_date/

Buyers will be able to choose from a UMD version running ¥5,040 and a download version running ¥4.500. The retail version will include product codes for a couple of in-game items and a special mission.

The first piece of PSP2i news was announced yesterday. Sega is teaming up with Kentucky Fried Chicken to make Colonel Sanders a partner character in PSP2i. Following the announcement, Sega provided some direct feed screens.

C5DOi.jpg
oVBEL.jpg

Edgeward

I am giggling like a school girl at seeing Col. Sanders as a partner char. I would be there day 1 if this came to state, with the Col. intact.

Pre order infinity from specially selected stores (which is now dated as 24th february 2011) and you get a slip inside that has 3 codes on it:

First you get 2 Duman weapons which look cool

You get Red ring Rico and Flowen outfits:

heathcliff-flowen-red-ring-rico.jpg

And you get a code which unlocks a new boss fight with Dyla Bravas!

RR and Flowen outfits are officially awesome.

Top Bottom