• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Virtual Console announced (GB/GBC, possibly GBA games!)

http://www.1up.com/news/3ds-game-boy-virtual-console

Confirmed titles so far include Super Mario Land and Link's Awakening DX.

There will also be a selection of "Classic Games" in 3D released. This seems to be separate from the Virtual Console and probably refers to the 3D NES and SNES games that were demoed at E3 (Yoshi's Island was one of them!)

Told you guys that this would happen :D (Though no mention of Virtual Boy games unfortunately :( I bet this'll come later on though!)

Kaldea

So excited for this. :D

I was really hoping for some kind of Link's Awakening news. Can't wait to play it in 3D!

Nuclear Muffin said:
There will also be a selection of "Classic Games" in 3D released. This seems to be separate from the Virtual Console and probably refers to the 3D NES and SNES games that were demoed at E3 (Yoshi's Island was one of them!)

Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda wre also some of the "classics" at E3.

Tiktaalik

I'm pretty excited. There's lots of great GB games. I'd be there day one on Donkey Kong '94 and Mole Mania for example.

If we're lucky the platform will evolve as the console VC has and maybe we'll end up getting Game Gear and Neo Geo pocket titles.

I just want ALL the Super Mario Advanced games, Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion, and ALL the Zelda games for both GBA and GBC! :D

I wonder if they'll put some DS games on the download service.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sold. Done. Day 1.

Is this why GAF crashed for a little while? Where the fuck is this Nintendo info coming from?

Tiktaalik said:
I'm pretty excited. There's lots of great GB games. I'd be there day one on Donkey Kong '94 and Mole Mania for example.

If we're lucky the platform will evolve as the console VC has and maybe we'll end up getting Game Gear and Neo Geo pocket titles.

I'm sure it will (in fact, I wouldn't count out an announcement before the 3DS' release like what happened with the Wii and the MegaDrive & TG16 announcements)

Virtual Boy is a given (eventually)

I wonder if they'll put some DS games on the download service.

Not a chance. Nintendo have never put anything newer than 2 generations old on their VC service and probably still see DS games as being too new (and they would be right. Their DS games are still selling very well at retail!)

mehdi_san

Too many 3DS threads, don't know where to post :(
So about the VC on 3DS, I am waiting for a confirmation for the GBA games. As I said in the other thread, there is no mention of GBA on the official website ( http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/confe...This=true&TB_iframe=true&height=588&width=709 ), only GB and GBC. Even 4gamer who were doing the liveblog and said GBA at first said in a following tweet ( http://twitter.com/#!/4GamerLive/status/25860432760 ) that it was a mistake and they meant GBC :(

seady

From Nintendo's Press Site

The 7th link on the right
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2010/3ds/index.html

vc_gb.png
vc_sm.png

vc_gbc.png
vc_zelda.png

Tiktaalik

Nuclear Muffin said:
I'm sure it will (in fact, I wouldn't count out an announcement before the 3DS' release like what happened with the Wii and the MegaDrive & TG16 announcements)

Virtual Boy is a given (eventually)

It would certainly be awesome if they put Virtual Boy on there. I'm sure the interest wouldn't be as high as mainline GB/GBC games, but many Virtual Boy games are rare and/or a hassle to find and play, so it would be nice for Nintendo fans.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
DeVeAn said:
I hope it will be easy to move VC GB games over to future 3DS purchases after one breaks.
How easy is it to move Wii VC games? I haven't bought any in a long time. Or had to move.

DeVeAn

DeathNote said:
How easy is it to move Wii VC games? I haven't bought any in a long time. Or had to move.
As of now its easy to redownload them, but if you need a new console those games are stuck in the old one. I went through 3 DS systems, I have not gotten any DSiware stuff because it would be stuck on that handheld.

Olorin said:
yes yes yes! I wonder what the prices will be. GB 300, GBC 500, GBA 800?

They'll probably go for 500 points for GB and GBC games and 800 points for GBA and VB games.

Game & Watch games are already 200 points on DSi Ware (I bet you that they'll be moved over into the VC section!)

DeVeAn said:
As of now its easy to redownload them, but if you need a new console those games are stuck in the old one. I went through 3 DS systems, I have not gotten any DSiware stuff because it would be stuck on that handheld.

you can transfer VC and (3)DSiware games to a limited amount of other 3DSes for free afaik

The only reason I ever bought a DSi was when a Nintendo representative told me that GB/GBA games would be featured on the DSi Shop. I've since then downgraded back to the DS Lite, but now I will definitely be on board pending NoA's stance on pricing.

I'm curious to see how much they'll cost and how much more the updated 3D games will be, but I'll probably buy Yoshi's Island and Link's Awakening regardless of cost. I really doubt they will, but it would be awesome if they touched up parts of the game to benefit the new technology so we don't just get Mode 7 sprites zooming out at us.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Add Neo Geo Pocket (awesome library), Lynx and Game Gear titles too :p

I really do wish they'd make it possible to play NES and SNES games as well. I find those stuff much more convenient to play on a handheld than having to power up the Wii (or reconnecting the original consoles).

I think I'll be reliving Pokemon Blue all over again :')

And I'll probably make the obligatory Tetris purchase as well.

Anyone else feel like this generation is going to be the one where handhelds are seen as equals to consoles rather than the younger sibling?

Tempy said:
I really do wish they'd make it possible to play NES and SNES games as well. I find those stuff much more convenient to play on a handheld than having to power up the Wii (or reconnecting the original consoles).

The announcement says that some of their classic games from the NES and SNES era will be on 3DS, redone in 3D to boot.

I'd give my firstborn son for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets GBC on the 3DS Virtual Console (last/most advanced GBC game released in the US).

CassSept

Nuclear Muffin said:
3D NES and SNES games that were demoed at E3 (Yoshi's Island was one of them!)
WOAH WOAH WOAH WHAT
YOSHI'S ISLAND 3D!?
Why didn't I know about that? WHY. My God!

Edit:
I'd give my firstborn son for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets GBC on the 3DS Virtual Console.
Oh yes, this game was made of awesome. Console and PC versions sucked, but the GBC RPGs rocked.

plasmasd

Yes! I want Metal Gear Solid for Gameboy Color in 3D. I guess it must make 3D from the sprite layering. Very very cool.

Also thanks to this, we'll probably see a release of Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 for Virtual Console too :D (Plus probable Transfer Pak support for Mario Golf and Mario Tennis :D)

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
This is probably the main reason I'm buying a 3ds at this point. I want to load up Pokemon Yellow and I'll be set for life.

AHA! "Classic Games in 3D" are NOT emulations, they are ports!

Images come from Itoi's hobo nikkan itoi shinbun website!

128575249129530.JPG

128575249129531.JPG

Notice how Xevious has been adapted to fit the full screen widescreen display? That means that I was right, and that they are ports rather than straight emulations!

Don't expect to see legions of games coming out in 3D in this case. Only select games will see 3D releases (and they probably will see gameplay changes like many ports do)

This would make it Nintendo's equivalent to Sony's "Classics HD" range of games (Like GOW Collection)

Top Bottom