• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 11 third biggest All Format title ever launched in the UK (1st MW2, 2nd GTA4)

Gowans

ChartTrack said:
Not since 2004 (FIFA 05 in wk41 vs. PES4 in wk42) have the 2 big football titles been just 1 week apart. And whilst we are on memory lane, 2003 was the last time PES debuted before FIFA (also one week apart). This week is of course dominated by ‘FIFA 11’ which was up against last year’s iteration ‘FIFA 10’, the biggest FIFA title ever launched and the third biggest All Format title ever launched in the UK (behind ‘Modern Warfare 2’ and ‘GTA IV’).

‘FIFA 11’ comfortably takes the third place from ‘FIFA 10’ with overall units up 21% / overall revenue up 36% on ‘FIFA 10’ week 1. Xbox 360 remains the lead format (+26% units over last year) and PS3 is close behind (+23% over last year).
Source

Fifa 11 - Xbox 360 (50%) | PS3 (47%) | Wii (1%) | PSP (1%)
Breakdown Source

From the Chart Thread
Road said:
The biggest 1st weeks are:

1. Modern Warfare 2 - 1.78 million
2. Grand Theft Auto IV - 0.93 million
3. FIFA 11 - 0.82 million
4. FIFA 10 - 0.68 million
5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 0.68 million

Thought this warranted it's own thread, FIFA is going from strength to strength over here and over 800,000 in two days is crazy with no massive hype or push that I was aware off.

According to my EA buddy, it's the biggest title in Germany ever:

"FIFA11: Biggest entertainment launch in Germany ever. 450k units in one week. 628% more copies than PES. Pretty awesome."

Gowans

It's really surprising to me with last year being a two Fifa year also.

All my mates grabbed it for the online teams stuff but as HUGE as fifa is it's almost a surprise to be considering the press and marketing I didn't see.

MMaRsu

Banned
Gowans007 said:
It's really surprising to me with last year being a two Fifa year also.

All my mates grabbed it for the online teams stuff but as HUGE as fifa is it's almost a surprise to be considering the press and marketing I didn't see.

Fifa really didn't/doesnt need marketing though.. everybody knows when it's coming out, and have seen previews or read previews somewhere.

shock33

The supermarkets seem to have made a massive difference, quite a few of my mates were queuing for 2 hours to pick it up from 24 hour Asdas, one was in a queue of around 250 people from 11:30pm to 2:00am to pick it up.

Gowans

shock33 said:
The supermarkets seem to have made a massive difference, quite a few of my mates were queuing for 2 hours to pick it up from 24 hour Asdas, one was in a queue of around 250 people from 11:30pm to 2:00am to pick it up.
Yeah some of them had that promo battle they did last year where it was £25-£30 for 24hours. Sure it had a big effect.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Not a surprise, thanks to my Uni flatmates even i bought this, and i'm not a football person.

Haunted

schennmu said:
According to my EA buddy, it's the biggest title in Germany ever:

"FIFA11: Biggest entertainment launch in Germany ever. 450k units in one week. 628% more copies than PES. Pretty awesome."
Obliterating FIFA 10's launch week, which was the best first week a sports game ever had in Germany.

Gowans

UPDATE

FIFA 11 sells 2.6 million units in opening weekend, Ultimate Team coming next month for free

EA’s announced it’s sold 2.6 million units of FIFA 11 across its opening weekend in the US and Europe.

The release of the game, which launched last Tuesday in the US and last Friday in the UK, has raked in $150 million, according to the publisher.EA also confirmed this year’s iteration of FIFA’s Ultimate Team mode will be coming for free next month, although a specific date wasn’t given.

Some stats were also provided on FIFA’s release. Sell-through for FIFA 11 is up 29 percent compared to FIFA 10 last year, while the period between October 1-2 was the busiest an EA Sports game has had online ever, with 11.3 million players for FIFA 11.

Over 18 million players were on EA Sports online overall at the time.

“We’re thrilled at how fans embraced FIFA 11 last weekend, and we are excited to be able to offer one of our most popular game modes – FIFA 11 Ultimate Team – for free this November,” said EA Sports boss Peter Moore.“

This is a landmark achievement for EA SPORTS – we’ve shattered sales records at retail, critics are praising FIFA 11 as being one of the most authentic and innovative titles ever, and fans are connecting and competing with other gamers around the world and have logged a record number of online connected game sessions.”

The game launched for PS3, 360, Wii, PC, PS2, PSP and DS.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/10/05/fifa-11-sells-2-6-million-units-in-opening-weekend-ultimate-team-coming-next-month-for-free/

Over 900,000 more than Fifa 10s first week.
MAN!!! Never underestimate FIFA

sun-drop

UT for free ? .. that is fucking cool ... it's always my most played mode.

that said i'm enjoying team play and want to rank up my pro ... so yeh ..UT usually comes along and turns me into a one dimensional UT mode exclusive player.

Top Bottom