• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Maiden Zakuro: Bishounen and cat/demon/girl/things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

win2010-otome-youkai-zakuro.jpg

Demon Maiden Zakuro - Otome Youkai Zakuro - おとめ妖怪 ざくろ

In an alternate history of the Meiji era where humans and magical beings known as "younin" live side by side, half-younin girls team up with army lieutenants to fight younin wrongdoers.

Staff

Director- Chiaki Kon. A remarkably mixed record of the two Nodame Cantabile sequels, Higurashi, and the atrocious Umineko adaptation.

Writer- Mari Okada(Aria the Natural, Darker than Black 2, Kodomo no Jikan, Red Garden, Rozen Maiden, Simoun, Sketchbook, Toradora)

Original creator: Lily Hoshino

Art direction: Hiroshi Kato(Evangelion, Diebuster, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, You're Under Arrest)
Izumi Hoki(Boogiepop Phantom, Tears to Tiara)

Animation Production- JC Staff

Characters

Mai Nakahara as Zakuro(Nagisa Furukawa, Rena Ryuuguu, Mai Tokiha)
Takahiro Sakurai as Kei Agemaki(Suzaku Kururugi, Cloud Strife)
Aki Toyosaki as Hōzuki(Yui Hirasawa)
Akihiko Ishizumi as Ryōju Ame
Kana Hanazawa as Hotaru Susuki(Kanade Tachibana, Nadeko Sengoku, Anri Sonohara)
Kazue Komiya as Kushimatsu
Mutsumi Tamura as Kiri
Nobuhiko Okamoto as Mamezō(Accelerator)
Satoshi Hino as Riken Yoshinokazura
Takayuki Kondou as Takatoshi Hanadate
Yui Horie as Bonbori(Hanyuu, Ayu Tsukimiya, Naru Narusegawa, Minori Kushieda, Maria Ushiromiya)
Yuka Iguchi as Sakura(Index)
Yuuki Kaji as Ganryū Hanakiri

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6te5xvMKQDE
(No, I don't know why the sound in this trailer is so awful)

OP

"MOON SIGNAL" by Sphere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4iaSrxYsqw

ED

#1: "Hatsukoi wa Zakuro-iro (初戀は柘榴色)" by Mai Nakahara and Takahiro Sakurai (ep 1)
#2: "Futari Sei (二人静)" by Kana Hanazawa and Satoshi Hino
#3: "Junjou Masquerade (純情マスカレイド)" by Aki Toyosaki, Yui Horie and Yuki Kaji

Airing

3:00 AM Tuesdays in Japan on TVTokyo. 2:00 PM Monday EST.

Where can I watch it

Simulcast on Crunchyroll.

faridmon

Writer- Mari Okada(Aria the Natural, Darker than Black 2, Kodomo no Jikan, Red Garden, Rozen Maiden, Simoun, Sketchbook, Toradora)
What the fuck man? how can you write amzing stuff like Red Garden and Toradora to bloody atricious stuff like Rozen Maiden and Darker than Black 2? And Also write some disgusting stuff like Kodomo no Jikan?

Fucking Anime wasting talent on shit projects.

Branduil

faridmon said:
What the fuck man? how can you write amzing stuff like Red Garden and Toradora to bloody atricious stuff like Rozen Maiden and Darker than Black 2? And Also write some disgusting stuff like Kodomo no Jikan?

Fucking Anime wasting talent on shit projects.
No idea. The staff for this project is a complete mixed bag, they've worked on both great and horrific anime.

The first episode was surprisingly entertaining, though. Giving the protagonist a spirit phobia was an amusing touch. I'll keep watching if they can maintain this level of quality.

faridmon

Will check this Anime just its because from the Writer of Red Garden

I don't know how I feel about Bishonen Anime though :/

Dresden

faridmon said:

It's listed as seinen, if that helps.

It's the most enjoyable first-episode this season, for me.

Branduil

faridmon said:

Pretty boys and pretty girls. Some of the spirits are pretty ugly though. And a guy who looks like Hitler.

Dresden said:
It's the most enjoyable first-episode this season, for me.

I'm forced to agree with this, so far. Maybe it's just the low expectations but I found it more humorous than P&S or Star Driver.

Nishastra

Banned
No one cares about this one, eh?

Oh well, I watched it!

I was greatly amused by Agemaki's sparkly defense mechanism. I hope he uses it again in the future, since it seemed like he already stopped as soon as he got used to Zakuro :p

duckroll

faridmon said:

She isn't really "the writer of Red Garden" at all. She's just one of the writing team on that show. She only wrote like 4 episodes and co-wrote the last two episodes with the actual series editor of the show. :p

In fact, all the shows listed in the OP are just shows she wrote a few episodes for. :p

Shows she actually did series editing and lead writing for? Black Butler, True Tears, Canaan, Vampire Knight. You get the idea. :lol

Branduil

duckroll said:
She isn't really "the writer of Red Garden" at all. She's just one of the writing team on that show. She only wrote like 4 episodes and co-wrote the last two episodes with the actual series editor of the show. :p

In fact, all the shows listed in the OP are just shows she wrote a few episodes for. :p

Shows she actually did series editing and lead writing for? Black Butler, True Tears, Canaan, Vampire Knight. You get the idea. :lol
Well, technically this isn't original writing either, it's a manga adaptation.

trejo

I just finished the first episode and I liked it. I'm in.

The tall guy and the meek girl look really cute together.

Solune

Art style looks good. Is this like comedy/slice of life/action? I'll give it a whirl when I can watch it on CR.

Eh, it's okay. I'll probably watch a few more episodes and then forget about it. There are definitely more important shows this season.

cosmicblizzard said:
Eh, it's okay. I'll probably watch a few more episodes and then forget about it. There are definitely more important shows this season.

so far all i've seen worthy is star driver. nothing more.

Jex

It was well made, if extremely predictable. Oreimo was the same, but I felt that it wasn't very amusing or interesting, where as this had better pacing and character work. I'll have to see if it goes any where though.

The 'phobia' device was very reminiscent of Maison Ikkoku (damn that show for coming up with everything first.)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
The 'phobia' device was very reminiscent of Maison Ikkoku (damn that show for coming up with everything first.)
This show has a character with dog phobia?

Branduil

Jexhius said:
It was well made, if extremely predictable. Oreimo was the same, but I felt that it wasn't very amusing or interesting, where as this had better pacing and character work. I'll have to see if it goes any where though.

Yeah, this was a classic setup episode, so it's hard to predict what the show will be like once the plot begins in earnest. Still, likable characters are huge part of any good story, so at least it got off on the right foot. I'll be pulling for Chiaki Kon to redeem herself with this.

Jex

Branduil said:
Yeah, this was a classic setup episode, so it's hard to predict what the show will be like once the plot begins in earnest. Still, likable characters are huge part of any good story, so at least it got off on the right foot. I'll be pulling for Chiaki Kon to redeem herself with this.
That's the hope. I don't usually check out so many shows as the majority of them will have difficulty delivering on their 1st episode.

I didn't spot any warning flags shoot up when I watched this, so I remain cautiously optimistic.
duckroll said:
Well, that isn't a great sign. Still there's enough people checking out enough shows that I follow the impressions of trustworthy posters.

Lain

duckroll said:

I... uh.... <.< ... >.> ... really liked Canaan, so consider me interested in this?!

Branduil

Kenak said:
Where can I watch this on CrunchyRoll? I did a search and it turned up nothing.
Try Otome Youkai Zakuro. I translated the title because leaving titles in Japanese is my pet peeve.

Apath

Branduil said:
Try Otome Youkai Zakuro. I translated the title because leaving titles in Japanese is my pet peeve.
Thanks!

And no worries, you did the right thing.
EDIT: Gah, members only. I can wait a week.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
duckroll said:
Canaan had a great first episode (mostly because of ando) then it went to shit from there. I wonder if this show will suffer a similar fate?

Dresden

Lafiel said:
Canaan had a great first episode then it went to shit from there. I wonder if this show will suffer a similar fate?
la la la la la I can't hear you guys la la la la la la

Star Driver will be excellent all the way through (and won't fall apart due to there being an actual writer), and neither will this show. /wishful thinking

faridmon

duckroll said:

I still don't get this industry and how inconsistent thier staff are. Even Writing some Ep. of those Anime shows talent, However, others listed (like the one you listed; Canaan for one) are just downrght terrible.

wait, aaaahhh, now I get your point, Black Butler, true tears, vampire knight, Canaan.... I see a pattern......

your a bit too late. Watched the show and its defently intriguing :p
Lafiel said:
Canaan had a great first episode (mostly because of ando) then it went to shit from there. I wonder if this show will suffer a similar fate?
Canaan was the defenition of terrible. Ugh, my most dissapointed Anime of all time. Fucking expectations...

Aagain How can Ando go from Sword of Starngers to this crap, is just amazing. It almost takes awfully lot of skills to make something this horrible...

Solune

Lafiel said:

Watched Canaan because Type-Moon x 428 scenario, It has to be good right? And then it was bad.

faridmon

Solune said:
Watched Canaan because Type-Moon x 428 scenario, It has to be good right? And then it was bad.
this should tell you everything you need, mate. I didn't know, but you knew. So i suffered because og my ignorance :(

Branduil

faridmon said:
I still don't get this industry and how inconsistent thier staff are. Even Writing some Ep. of those Anime shows talent, However, others listed (like the one you listed; Canaan for one) are just downrght terrible.

wait, aaaahhh, now I get your point, Black Butler, true tears, vampire knight, Canaan.... I see a pattern......
Well, a lot of times anime are adaptations, so the source material can affect things. And sometimes certain people work better with some people than others.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Show of the season for me just based on the first episode. That doesn't mean it couldn't go downhill.

How many episodes is this planned to be?

Branduil

DrForester said:
Show of the season for me just based on the first episode. That doesn't mean it couldn't go downhill.

How many episodes is this planned to be?
ANN says 13.

Another thing I like is the obvious "men are from Mar, women are from Venus" metaphor going on, with all the humans being men and the women being youkai.

Jex

Branduil said:
Another thing I like is the obvious "men are from Mar, women are from Venus" metaphor going on, with all the humans being men and the women being youkai.
Well they could have just made it their theme song like in Arakawa 2.

Joule

Fairly solid first episode. I found it pretty enjoyable and somewhat refreshing. The Agemaki sparkly parts were amusing to say the least. Seemingly predictable direction in this episode but that's fine too. Production seems good. I'll have to follow this one.

faridmon

Dresden said:
I guess it didn't have enough moe to attract the average viewer.
I thought Bishonen would be more attractive to GAF than moe, I was wrong...

loved the 1st Ep. will watch it. reminds me of that Glass something Anime (art style wise)

Branduil

Episode 02 was decent. The hotel plot was nothing special, but there were some funny character moments.
The candle. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom