• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Karakuri Den: it's official, b*tches (DSiWare) |OT| (tm)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hey, did you notice DSiWare is starting to get its |OT| threads these days? Of course, if a game has been anticipated for 8 years, that's rather natural. But what about other worthy titles on the service - do they not deserve a word or two on the forum? Sorry, I did not hear ya.. They do? Ok, then, here's one.

GG Series: Ninja Karakuri Den is not your little sis' platformer. In fact, it's not even your pimply brother's platformer. It's a platformer so quintessential, that it's like the mother all platformers, excavated from a Toltec acheological site. It's the very incarnation of the idea of platforming, appropriately dressed in an 8-bit outfit.

NKD has no story, no dialogues, and no save slots - those things have little to do with platforming. Instead, NKD is arcades-style, 'beat my score, bitch!' experience. The one word that comes to mind when thinking of the game's mechanics is pure, and the corresponing word that comes to mind when thinking of the game's outcome is satisfaction.

It's simply a game about making the player play better, as their only hope for proper progression* is improving their own skills. Depending on what your attitude toward games like, say, Ikaruga is, you'll find this rewarding, or off-putting. The only thing I can promise you about NKD is that you will need to use all your four limbs to climb the game's learning curve. Once you climb it, though, you'll be glad, as you did something that people are not naturally skilled at. It's like learning to ride a bike - the process is simple, but it quickly grows to an exhilarating culmination.

So how does it look? It looks very much like this: 8-bit glory.

And how much does this gem cost? 200 pts. Yep, that's less than most VC titles that could hope to compete with NKD's genious.

So, if you love platforming, and you're in possession of a spine, you'd might want to check this one out.

/focker out

* note the use of 'proper' before 'progression'. Just like Ikaruga, NKD offers the proverbial 'insert coin to continue' equivalent, which strips you of your score and freezes your progress tracking in general, but allows you a glimpse of what comes next. Still, not the way you want to play this game, despite what sites like Destructoid might say (I quote):

There are 60 levels in total, each level lasting 30 seconds at most. If you lose a life, you'll restart the current stage minus the gears you've already destroyed. If you exhaust all your lives, you'll restart the current level with all the gears back in place and a reset score counter. With little in the way of punishment for failure, you can breeze through the entire game in less than half an hour.
"Little in the way of punishment for failure.." Holy point-missing, Batman!

Availability:

GG series: Ninja Karakuri Den is the NA localisation of the original JP title GG series: Shinobi Karakuri Den, also available on DS cart as part of the GG series collection. Game is currently unavailable on the PAL store, and there's no information of a DS cart PAL localisation.

A platform that always makes you think a step or two ahead. Controls great, looks awesome, and its cheep to boot. I'd advice anyone that is into nail biting platforming action games to give this a shot. Disappointment is something you won't find here.

I support this OT :D

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I approve of more |OT|'s for deserving DSiWare games.

Especially because this game was not on my radar before this and I'm buying it tonight.

200 points? Doesn't Nintendo try and sell you clocks and calendars for that much? I may have that much on my DSi at the moment, if so, I'm getting this game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
jaundicejuice said:
200 points? Doesn't Nintendo try and sell you clocks and calendars for that much? I may have that much on my DSi at the moment, if so, I'm getting this game.
There are a handful of really excellent micro-games at the 200 price, including Aura-Aura Climber and Spotto.

STG

200 points?
great :/ I just spend my 200 points I had on the hudson button masher thing ._.

I hate myself

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
STG said:
200 points?
great :/ I just spend my 200 points I had on the hudson button masher thing ._.

I hate myself
I hope that was an impulse buy and you didn't look through the whole 200 Points catalog and come to that decision. :\

STG

Princess Skittles said:
I hope that was an impulse buy and you didn't look through the whole 200 Points catalog and come to that decision. :\
uhm yeah
let's say it was an impulse buy :>

edit: does that game even came out in europe?
can't even find it on the dsiware website

blu

STG said:
edit: does that game even came out in europe?
can't even find it on the dsiware website
My seach for any word about NKD's availability in PAL land has returned nothing. My apologies for setting your hopes high. Also, I feel bad for the this industry, but that's a subject for another thread.

Anyhow, as a minor compensation, please accept these two 200pts recommendations:

• Aura-Aura Climber (Princess Skittles is right on the money with that one), and
  • Pop Island: Paperfield

Both are excellent games far outweighing their pricepoint. And both should be available in PAL land ATM.

*goes to update the OP according to the grim reality of nintendo's DD serices*

zigg

blu said:
Aura-Aura Climber (Princess Skittles is right on the money with that one)

Aw, does this mean I can't take credit for the recommendation? Fantastic little game, I was just playing it again last week!

ON-TOPIC: I missed this game. Will get soon.

blu

zigg said:
Aw, does this mean I can't take credit for the recommendation? Fantastic little game, I was just playing it again last week!
Hey, I got only so much credit to give out here! I'm afraid you'll have to ask Princess Skittles to share with you some of hers.

Seriously, though, thanks for all the positive replies this thread has received, guys! Comes to show gaffers still enjoy good games ; )

Top Bottom