• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UE 3 Engine on 3DS ? lol - I put on my fanboy robe and my tinfoil hat

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seems like the 3DS is specifications are too low for Epic/Mark Rein to support the device.
During a GDC Online interview with Epic Games VP Mark Rein, the conversation moved from 3D games to handhelds (specifically, the very impressive Epic Citadel iOS demo). Naturally, I then took the opportunity to ask about a current hot topic that combines both subjects: the Nintendo 3DS. Is Epic working on 3DS software?

"No. It's below our [minimum specifications], from what we can tell. We don't have a 3DS, so there's no way for us to verify that, but everything we've been led to believe is that it's below our min-spec. You couldn't do a game that looks like [Epic Citadel] on it, for example. Like I said, we really don't know enough about it to make a formal comment, but I think if they considered that our engine would be good on it, they would have probably talked to us about it."
- Epic's Mark Rein

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/06/rein-3ds-likely-below-minimum-specifications-for-unreal-engine/

Is he butthurt because Nintendo dint contact them or is UE3 on 3DS really impossible ?

Like I said in the other thread (and based on 1 video of the on stage demo), citadel is nothing more than a static environment that scrolls with the camera with nothing else there. When there are characters on screen, they're stuck in one bland environment.

XPE

This isn’t the 1st time Mark Rein has made comments about software not running on Nintendo hardware before they have gotten their hands on it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cw_sasuke said:
Seems like the 3DS is specifications are too low for Epic/Mark Rein to support the device.

Is he butthurt because Nintendo dint contact them or is UE3 on 3DS really impossible ?
Given that Nintendo went to just about everyone out there, I'm going to say that they thought UE3 on 3DS probably wasn't going to be an easy port.

Why should I care about what Rein thinks of the 3ds.

All he cares about is making development costs go higher, that way, he'll make even more profits.

dream

The Bookerman said:

All he cares about is making development costs go higher, that way, he'll make even more profits.

Because developers care about the platforms Epic makes UE3 available on.

Amir0x

Banned
The Bookerman said:

Interesting because that's literally the exact opposite of what the engine does.

Developers and publishers go to UE3 because it's infinitely CHEAPER than building their own engine from the ground up most of the time. The whole point of a good middleware solution is to lower development costs.

cw_sasuke

Amir0x said:
oh for fuck's sake...

Its epic, and they still havent gotten any dev.kits to at least play around with, Cliffy B mentioned around e3 that he is excited and nintendo should send them some dev kits... still gotten none ? sounds strange to me....

goomba

Banned
The 3DS architecture is different thus would take too much effort to port to and he has often shown he is no fan of Nintendo.

Amir0x

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Its epic, and they still havent gotten any dev.kits to at least play around with, Cliffy B mentioned around e3 that he is excited and nintendo should send them some dev kits... still gotten none ? sounds strange to me....

Maybe because it's Epic and Epic does not give a fuck about handhelds because they're not traditionally a handheld company?

Yes, 3DS is below spec for UE3. But also, Epic is being forced to comment on something they likely have no business interest in. It's not in their philosophy to pay much attention to the handheld market.

Good because it's nice to have some developer's dedicated to the PC and TV scene. God with fanboys it's always some sinister evil anti-Nintendo plot

antonz

So the fact the 3DS does visual effects etc that the Ipad tech demo cant or doesnt means the 3DS is too weak?

Honestly I have a hard time taking anything these guys say over there. It seems like Nintendo took a shit intheir cheerios instead of a piss and never got over it.

At this point I think they just have such an aversion to working with Nintendo they will do whatever it takes not too

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BattleMonkey said:
Don't they have UE3 running on Iphone already?
Which is a fully compliant OpenGL 2.0 device instead of an OpenGL 1.1 device with pipelines to get some OpenGL 2.0 functionality.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nintendo did not contact them? How exactly did mr Rein imagine this happening?

Iwata: Hey, I think we should pay a visit to Mark Rein and pay him overdue respect. I know we've been on ignore mode with each other for so long, but his engine would be such a prime candidate for our platform.
Miyamoto: You really think so?
Iwata: Nah, just fucking with you. *laughs*

Not too surprising, considering that PICA200 is an ES 1.1 GPU and lacks the programmable pixel shaders that Epic is so fond of. I'm sure some kind of UE3 port using the Maestro features would be possible if Epic cared enough to bother, but they evidently don't.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Maybe because it's Epic and Epic does not give a fuck about handhelds because they're not traditionally a handheld company?

Yes, 3DS is below spec for UE3. But also, Epic is being forced to comment on something they likely have no business interest in. It's not in their philosophy to pay much attention to the handheld market.

Good because it's nice to have some developer's dedicated to the PC and TV scene. God with fanboys it's always some sinister evil anti-Nintendo plot
Epic has made a very big deal about showing UE3 on portable devices lately, so asking them about the 3DS seems perfectly reasonable to me.

cw_sasuke

Amir0x said:

Wow, you took that comment way to serious... come on man, its not that far fetched to think that epic would offer the ue3 engine if possible on 3ds. Even if it isnt their main buisiness i would excpect them to at leat have gotten some dev kits. They just showed UE 3 on the iPhone, so yeah you would think they would try to get their hands on the next nintendo handheld system and look if they can work out something with give specifications....

Amir0x

Banned
MetatronM said:
Epic has made a very big deal about showing UE3 on portable devices lately, so asking them about the 3DS seems perfectly reasonable to me.

iPad market is slightly different than 3DS. Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to ask - but when you get the honest answer, don't fucking come and start whining like a baby because he's telling it like it is. 3DS is below spec for UE3, he knows his engine a little better than you. People should deal with it

cw_sausuke said:
come on man, its not that far fetched to think that epic would offer the ue3 engine if possible on 3ds.

But he doesn't believe it is, he knows his engine. And because he has shown very little interest on the traditional game-only handhelds in the past, he's probably not on any priority list - either at Sony or Nintendo. And he probably doesn't care either.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's more surprising to me that Nintendo hasn't even bothered to talk to them or send them a kit. Seemingly.

Celsior

Why doesn't he get a 3DS development kit, I assume Epic has a Wii and DS kit even though they don't develop for them.

Amir0x said:
Interesting because that's literally the exact opposite of what the engine does.

Developers and publishers go to UE3 because it's infinitely CHEAPER than building their own engine from the ground up most of the time. The whole point of a good middleware solution is to lower development costs.

That's the idea. He wants Development costs to go up forcing people to look for middleware, then they go for UE3. Rein laughs all the way to the bank.

Amir0x

Banned
gofreak said:
It's more surprising to me that Nintendo hasn't even bothered to talk to them or send them a kit. Seemingly.

how many games have they released for DS and PSP? Honest question. Does Epic really show the slightest interest for developing for Nintendo or Sony's platforms? Does being Epic automatically mean they should get dev kits?

MetatronM said:

Pretty much. If Epic and Apple hadn't been so cosy recently and Epic hadn't been showing off their engine and software running on a handheld device, then yes, the question would have seemed a little odd.

As it is, Epic seem to be making a move into the portable market and it's reasonable for any half-decent journo to ask "hey, are you going to bring your engine to Platform X?" when they have opportunity.

cw_sasuke

Amir0x said:
But he doesn't believe it is, he knows his engine. And because he has shown very little interest on the traditional game-only handhelds in the past, he's probably not on any priority list - either at Sony or Nintendo. And he probably doesn't care either.
Im perfectly fine with Epic doesnt supporting the 3DS with their UE3 engine, i find it just suprising that they dont have dev kits when developers like High Voltage (no hate )already have them.. you would think that nintendo would take a more aggressive approach, at least after CliffyBs statement right after e3.

Amir0x

Banned
The Bookerman said:
That's the idea. Development costs go up... people look for middleware, they go for UE3. Rein laughs all the way to the bank.

Except this is at exact odds with what you said before. Your statement asserted Mark Rein wanted development costs to be HIGHER, when the literal reason for a middleware solution like UE3 is to make development costs cheaper. If anything, UE3 has helped make the rising costs of HD development somewhat less cheap overall.

And oh nos, Rein wants his business primary product to be purchased, what the fuck how horrible :lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nirolak said:
Which is a fully compliant OpenGL 2.0 device instead of an OpenGL 1.1 device with pipelines to get some OpenGL 2.0 functionality.
You can have a 'fully-compliant GL2' device with a GL1.x core plus the proper extension set. Just saying for the sake of semantics. But I see what you mean (i.e. no programmable fragment shaders). That said, Epic Citadel (on the iPad) does *nothing* that the PICA200 paperspecs could not reporoduce.

Portugeezer

Cataferal said:
Fine by me. I've grown tired of the UE3 look that's become prevalent on the home console front.
Normally I would agree, but the newest version powering Gears 3 and Bulletstorm is looking amazing.

But whatever, I hope they try something, I mean their engine just push visuals, not much else. I am sure they could squeeze something out. For now, Capcom's engine is looking really good on the 3DS, if they don't want to try anything then I think we can live without UE3DS...

As a gamer it annoys me how they waste their resources on a fucking iPhone engine where less people will appreciate it in my opinion.
Bring it to a gaming device.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
how many games have they released for DS and PSP? Honest question. Does Epic really show the slightest interest for developing for Nintendo or Sony's platforms? Does being Epic automatically mean they should get dev kits?

I think if Nintendo was serious about this third party thing they would be consulting with the leading middleware providers in the industry when developing new platforms. Or at least sending them a kit when they have them.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Amir0x said:

It's kind of surprising to see that the 3DS has worse specs than smartphones.

Celsior

Amir0x said:
Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3
yes I know that bomb of a game help kill midway but still

Amir0x

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Im perfectly fine with Epic doesnt supporting the 3DS with their UE3 engine, i find it just suprising that they dont have dev kits when developers like High Voltage (no hate )already have them.. you would think that nintendo would take a more aggressive approach.

High Voltage has a NINTENDO ORIENTED business philosophy. They want their hand in whatever Nintendo is making. Likely, they've shown intense interest and have reached out even.

Epic does not have a real handheld oriented philosophy, at least not for game-only handheld devices. That may change in the future, but it still seems like Epic is set with the strategy they have, and there's no reason for Nintendo or Sony to assume that has changed.

Celsior said:
Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3
yes I know that bomb of a game help kill midway but still

on PSP, not PS3! If UT3 was on PSP that would make this comment about 3DS kinda bizarre, no? :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm not really seeing any "butthurt-ness" here, the guy answered the question as fairly as possible without even touching the hardware - are there even any DS UE3 games to begin with?

cw_sasuke said:
Im perfectly fine with Epic doesnt supporting the 3DS with their UE3 engine, i find it just suprising that they dont have dev kits when developers like High Voltage (no hate )already have them.. you would think that nintendo would take a more aggressive approach, at least after CliffyBs statement right after e3.

Why should it be surprising? They have no real history to speak of on Nintendo platforms, and dev kits are likely to be relatively limited pre-launch so they will go to partners, key third parties etc. first. If High Voltage have kits, it's likely because they have been fairly active on Nintendo platforms and requested them. If Epic don't it's because they haven't been and probably didn't.

Celine

"Like I said, we really don't know enough about it to make a formal comment, but I think if they considered that our engine would be good on it, they would have probably talked to us about it." - Epic's Mark Rein
Yeah, right.

cw_sasuke

Amir0x said:
High Voltage has a NINTENDO ORIENTED business philosophy. They want their hand in whatever Nintendo is making. Likely, they've shown intense interest and have reached out even.

Epic does not have a real handheld oriented philosophy, at least not for game-only handheld devices. That may change in the future, but it still seems like Epic is set with the strategy they have, and there's no reason for Nintendo or Sony to assume that has changed.

Thats why i would expect Nintendo to reached out. Maybe right now they dont have enough dev kits for caterin to developers who probably wont be interested in developing 3DS games for the first couple of months - but Valve, Bioware, iD Software, Rockstar an co.

They seem fine with approaching top japanese development teams.....why not act the same with western devs.

Cosmonaut X said:
Why should it be surprising? They have no real history to speak of on Nintendo platforms, and dev kits are likely to be relatively limited pre-launch so they will go to partners, key third parties etc. first. If High Voltage have kits, it's likely because they have been fairly active on Nintendo platforms and requested them. If Epic don't it's because they haven't been and probably didn't.

Thats true - its probably too soon for that.

[Nintex]

Nintendo, get some moneyhats/people/devkits/Ninja's over to Epic and get UE3 running on your handheld. Epic is easily one the largest middelware suppliers at the moment, so I don't understand how it is possible that they don't know the specs and don't have a 3DS devkit yet.

Jerk

Banned
SapientWolf said:
It's kind of surprising to see that the 3DS has worse specs than smartphones.

Have you seen the price of some of those phones?

The 3gs is almost double the cost of a 3ds if you purchase it without a contract.

Top Bottom