• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UE 3 Engine on 3DS ? lol - I put on my fanboy robe and my tinfoil hat

legend166

Amir0x said:
Interesting because that's literally the exact opposite of what the engine does.

Developers and publishers go to UE3 because it's infinitely CHEAPER than building their own engine from the ground up most of the time. The whole point of a good middleware solution is to lower development costs.

That's what he's saying.

The higher the development cost, the more likely a developer will go to a middleware supplier to try and lower their development costs.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
QuiteWhittle said:
what do you think

I figured as much, I just played it safe.

I wouldn't even know why someone would even ask anyone at Epic a question like that, let alone expect them to support a handheld with UE3, but I guess it's fun to pretend everything's a conspiracy.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
Epic does not have a real handheld oriented philosophy, at least not for game-only handheld devices. That may change in the future, but it still seems like Epic is set with the strategy they have, and there's no reason for Nintendo or Sony to assume that has changed.

I think UE3 on handhelds is a natural expectation as they scale up in power.

They've only become interested in mobile belatedly because only belatedly has both power and market collided there.

If Nintendo (or Sony for that matter) don't or didn't think of UE3 on handhelds, that's a misread of things.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but UE3 on next-gen handhelds seems the most obvious thing in the world. We even had a debate in another thread about whether it would be on 3DS, there seemed to be a lot of assumption it would or should be.

Amir0x

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Thats why i would expect Nintendo to reached out. Maybe right now they dont have enough dev kits for caterin to developers who probably wont be interested in developing 3DS games for the first couple of months - but Valve, Bioware, iD Software an co.

They seem fine with approaching top japanese development teams.....why not act the same with western devs.

Almost certainly because all those top Japanese development teams have shown intense interest in developing for Nintendo platforms in the past including their very own DS! Even Kojima Productions made games for DS!

Can you not see the distinction I am making?

Developers/publishers who have shown interest in handhelds/Nintendo platforms in the past - hey what would you think about making games for 3DS?

Developers/publishers who have shown virtually no interest for developing for handhelds in the past - hey we probably won't bother asking them

gofreak said:
I think UE3 on handhelds is a natural expectation as they scale up in power.

When they scale up in power enough. Not quite there yet for 3DS, who knows about PSP2

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
[Nintex] said:
Nintendo, get some moneyhats/people/devkits/Ninja's over to Epic and get UE3 running on your handheld. Epic is easily one the largest middelware suppliers at the moment, so I don't understand how it is possible that they don't know the specs and don't have a 3DS devkit yet.

Thats what im saying - i dont like that laid-back approach n is takin with western developers.

wsippel

Banned
Nirolak said:
Given that Nintendo went to just about everyone out there, I'm going to say that they thought UE3 on 3DS probably wasn't going to be an easy port.
Or they didn't give a fuck about Epic. I wouldn't put it past them, considering some statements by the Nippon Ichi president after the reveal of the 3DS. According to him, Nintendo basically said something like "you did nothing worthwile on our previous platforms, go fuck yourself". And contrary to Epic, NIS actually did some stuff on previous Nintendo platforms...

Amir0x said:
Except this is at exact odds with what you said before. Your statement asserted Mark Rein wanted development costs to be HIGHER, when the literal reason for a middleware solution like UE3 is to make development costs cheaper. If anything, UE3 has helped make the rising costs of HD development somewhat less cheap overall.

And oh nos, Rein wants his business primary product to be purchased, what the fuck how horrible :lol

Middleware will always be a good thing. It cuts costs and gets projects off the ground a hole lot faster. Not denying that. The problem I have is seeing UE3 everywhere. It has shortcommings. It's even more widespread than Renderware and Quake 3's engine ever was. I'm not too fond of that.

BTW, didn't epic say they were trying to develop an hybrid of UE2/UE3 tech for the wii?

dream

wsippel said:
Or they didn't give a fuck about Epic. I wouldn't put it past them, considering some statements by the Nippon Ichi president after the reveal of the 3DS. It was basically something like "you did nothing worthwile on our previous platforms, go fuck yourself". And contrary to Epic, NIS actually did some stuff on previous Nintendo platforms...

Wtf, that actually happened?!

legend166

Either way, hopefully no 3D middleware is ever made available for the 3DS.

Thereby forcing developers to make everything in glorious 2D.

Amir0x

Banned
The Bookerman said:
Middleware will always be a good thing. It cuts costs and gets projects off the ground a hole lot faster. Not denying that. The problem I have is seeing UE3 everywhere. It has shortcommings. It's even more widespread than Renderware and Quake 3's engine ever was. I'm not too fond of that.

ok, then you have an individual issue with the way it makes games look, that's just your opinion but it's legitimate.**

But either way, this is in direct odds with your original statement. You tried to portray Epic as some evil greedy corporation out to make development costs higher, when it is almost the polar opposite of that perspective

**ProTip: UE3 games have a wide variety of looks and aesthetics and art styles, and you probably have played many UE3 games you thought looked great and didn't even realize it.

wsippel said:
Or they didn't give a fuck about Epic. I wouldn't put it past them, considering some statements by the Nippon Ichi president after the reveal of the 3DS. According to him, Nintendo basically said something like "you did nothing worthwile on our previous platforms, go fuck yourself". And contrary to Epic, NIS actually did some stuff on previous Nintendo platforms...

Source?

I could certainly understand prioritising certain companies over others when disseminating limited dev kits pre-launch, but telling a company who had previously released software on your platforms to fuck off seems unlikely.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
dream said:
Wtf, that actually happened?!
At the Nintendo press conference I didn’t see NIS America or Nippon Ichi listed as one of the 3DS developers. Have you thought about working with the 3DS?

That’s because we are really close to Sony. Nintendo has priority on which company they are going to release information to. Some companies like Square Enix and Koei Tecmo have development kits already. That’s why they can show some titles today. We just got a development kit

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/2...e-crossovers-sakura-wars-and-ps3-development/

They recieved their dev-kits - just a lil bit later than the bigger companies...which makes sense...... Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear are more important than Disgaea 1 Remake Version 212 in 3D

Amir0x

Banned
wsippel said:

wait link plz :lol

edit: oh ok that's not really that juicy

Salacious Crumb

legend166 said:
That's what he's saying.

The higher the development cost, the more likely a developer will go to a middleware supplier to try and lower their development costs.

I don't see how Mark Rein has any control over development costs not directly related to license fees for UE.

The guys argument was just a bit tin foil hatty.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Lonely1 said:
Well, is clear from that snippet that snippet that they haven't requested a dev kit either.
Clearly they are being uptight asses.

"Buh buh it's not powerful enough, except we haven't played it. Buh why Nintendo haven't contacted us?"
:lol

Did Apple contact them to waste their time with UE3 on iPhone?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
EuropeOG said:
Clearly they are being uptight asses.

"Buh buh it's not powerful enough, except we haven't played it. Buh why Nintendo haven't contacted us?"
:lol

Did Apple contact them to waste their time with UE3 on iPhone?
Probably, yeah. At least Nvidia did for Tegra 2.

[Nintex]

cw_sasuke said:
They recieved their dev-kits - just a lil bit later than the bigger companies...which makes sense...... Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear are more important than Disgaea 1 Remake Version 212 in 3D
That's not as exciting as I thought it would be I kinda expected them to start up the Dream Team bullshit again, they never change. :lol

Amir0x said:
ok, then you have an individual issue with the way it makes games look, that's just your opinion but it's legitimate.**

But either way, this is in direct odds with your original statement. You tried to portray Epic as some evil greedy corporation out to make development costs higher, when it is almost the polar opposite of that perspective

**ProTip: UE3 games have a wide variety of looks and aesthetics and art styles, and you probably have played many UE3 games you thought looked great and didn't even realize it.

It's not an aesthetic thing... It's hard to describe.

Aestheticly pleasing UE3 games I like? Mirror's edge, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Enslaved... but that's pretty much it.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Maxrunner said:
É melhor e tudo....
They haven't put UE3 on 3DS, so we can't tell if it's better.

But it's looking good for sure.

Ainda não vimos UE3 no 3DS, por isso nos não sabemos.

rpmurphy

Well, if it's not in the best interests of developers and publishers who currently use UE3 to develop for consoles to want to port over their games to 3DS, then there's really no point for Epic to waste time creating something they aren't sure anyone wants. They themselves don't seem to have that philosophy with regard to the mobile space yet (unless we're gonna see GoW3 or future console game ports on iPhone?). I suppose it's really in Nintendo's court if they see a reason to moneyhat.

Amir0x

Banned
brain_stew said:
Capcom aren't a middleware provider. MT Framework is an internal game engine, nothing more.

brain stew i've missed you did you know 30fps adds to the sense of weight things have :(

GAF has been on one big technological brain fart these past few weeks

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
brain_stew said:
Capcom aren't a middleware provider. MT Framework is an internal game engine, nothing more.
Heh, would be funny if they did it later on tho. What with recent developments and all

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Carmack will give the 3DS a shot with Rage. Specially since they already have an OpenGL ES 1.1 version running.

wsippel

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
In theory, yes. In reality, even shoddy companies like Rocket had priority over NIS. And NIS probably actually asked. Epic seems to be waiting for Nintendo to run their doors in and beg for a port - and that simply won't happen.

Jin34

Below spec but Capcom had MT Framework working in a way many people here thought was pre-rendered bullshots in a few months? :lol :lol :lol

Mooreberg

Amirox is running a lot of damage control for Mark Rein. Seems pretty obvious he was choking tears back while he answered that question.

legend166 said:
Either way, hopefully no 3D middleware is ever made available for the 3DS.

Thereby forcing developers to make everything in glorious 2D.

Yes, that is definitely what Nintendo is going for with a system called 3DS.

Amir0x said:
brain stew i've missed you did you know 30fps adds to the sense of weight things have :(

Nah, its only 24fps that can do that. ;)

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Lonely1 said:
I wonder if Carmack will give the 3DS a shot with Rage. Specially since they already have an OpenGL ES 1.1 version running.
I doubt they will, they don't even care about the Wii.

I sense the iRony as Nintendo are Japanese and seems they are being overlooked by Western developers.

Hmm...?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
rpmurphy said:
Well, if it's not in the best interests of developers and publishers who currently use UE3 to develop for consoles to want to port over their games to 3DS, then there's really no point for Epic to waste time creating something they aren't sure anyone wants.

Whether you wanted to port something or create something from scratch, having a nice modern engine to work with would have been a welcome addition to 3DS's dev environment. Even if you didn't want to port something directly, having the same production pipeline across different projects on different platforms would undoubtedly be nice for developers.

Whether it becomes problematic otherwise from a porting POV will depend on whether UE3 gains traction in the mobile/handheld space or not.

Amir0x

Banned
Mooreberg said:
Amirox is running a lot of damage control for Mark Rein. Seems pretty obvious he was choking tears pack while he answered that question.

No i'm just not a mouthbreathing retard, and can actually read and even infer things based on logic :eek:

brain_stew said:
Nah, its only 24fps that can do that. ;)

What if...stick with me here...they went to 15fps!? The sense of weight would be ASTOUNDING!

2San

wsippel said:
Epic seems to be waiting for Nintendo to run their doors in and beg for a port - and that simply won't happen.
Do you just make shit up, because you can?

Mooreberg

Amir0x said:
No i'm just not a mouthbreathing retard, and can actually read and even infer things based on logic :eek:

What if...stick with me here...they went to 15fps!? The sense of weight would be ASTOUNDING!

Stop pretending you're not butthurt!

Dennis

Banned
Amir0x said:

And yet somehow Halo: Reach will sell millions and Castlevania will be a success even though they are sup-30 and 'Amir0x unplayable'....

Burai

shitonmychest57
Nirolak said:
Which is a fully compliant OpenGL 2.0 device instead of an OpenGL 1.1 device with pipelines to get some OpenGL 2.0 functionality.

It also has a ton more RAM than the rumoured 64MB in the 3DS. 256MB in the 3GS, touch and iPad, 512MB in the iPhone 4.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
EuropeOG said:
I doubt they will, they don't even care about the Wii.

I sense the iRony as Nintendo are Japanese and seems they are being overlooked by Western developers.

Hmm...?
id was developing an on-rails fps based on the Doom license. But Carmack said that, because they publisher saw no market, they changed the project to an iOS game that was released a few years ago.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Jin34 said:
Below spec but Capcom had MT Framework working in a way many people here thought was pre-rendered bullshots in a few months? :lol :lol :lol
Such is the power of CapGod. (And Pikmin)

Burai said:
It also has a ton more RAM than the rumoured 64MB in the 3DS. 256MB in the 3GS, touch and iPad, 512MB in the iPhone 4.
The 3GS may have 256mB ram but with no apps on other than the standard things there's about 156mB free, how much of that an app can actually use at once, I have no idea.

(Excuse me if this is wrong, but checking my jailbreaked phone's free resources says it has 156mB free, granted there might be slightly less ram available due to the extra programs being run with the jb)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Burai said:
Only up to 128 usable for single apps, though.

Top Bottom