• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Account Migration - Country Change* Coming this November!

*apparently only if you're changing to one of the 9 new countries that Xbox Live will be available in this November. Russia, Poland, South Africa, Greece, Czech Republic, Hungary, Brazil, Colombia, and Chile.

WTF Microsoft?

anyway, there's a FAQ

Cliffnotes: You don't *have* to migrate, and if you do, you can't switch back. You keep your Gamertag, gamerscore, achievements, friends list, game saves, microsoft points and any time remaining on your xbox live account. some content you purchased may no longer be able for redownload after you change countries.

S1kkZ

will this de-activate the ip bans? if i migrate from my german to an uk account, will i be able to download, lets say dead rising 2 case zero (its ip banned when i try to download it with my uk account)?

fernoca

Didn't they announced more countries being added this year to Live? Or are those 9 countries including the ones announced?

EDIT:
Yep, including the new ones.

oatmeal

Banned
I hope this is Canada to US...

I've had to sneak my dad's credit card number into the system because I don't have a Canadian card anymore.

Mwahaha...

But yeah, I'd like to be able to buy points now.

tokkun said:
Read the first line of the OP people.
yeah, i'm gonna clairify that since some people seem to not quite be catching on.

this is only if you live in Russia, Poland, South Africa, Greece, Czech Republic, Hungary, Brazil, Colombia, or Chile and have an account in another country and want to change it to your home country.

Platy

The Faceless Master said:
some content you purchased may no longer be able for redownload after you change countries.

This is the important part here .... where can i find a list of content that will not be avaliable to people of these new countries ?

Massa

Platy said:
This is the important part here .... where can i find a list of content that will not be avaliable to people of these new countries ?

I'm assuming the content that won't be available at those stores is what won't be available for redownload, so just check the marketplace for the region you're interested in when it launches.

I'm not expecting good things from the Brazilian store but the bullshit IP lock has kept me from buying stuff on XBLA anyway.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have a xbox 360 but i'm curious about something: People can't play online if they aren't in a xbox live supported country? That would suck.

Gexecuter said:
I don't have a xbox 360 but i'm curious about something: People can't play online if they aren't in a xbox live supported country? That would suck.
that's why people sign up under different country. i remember this was (and still is until next month) a big issue in greece.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Who wants to bunk with me and my pals in the ole Czech Republic? Can't wait to go there for no reason other than to use this feature! FINALLY :lol

Erebus

Just migrated my XBL account successfully. It only took them 5 years to officially support my country.

Fuck yes, MS! :lol

lord pie

Ohh joy of joys in my heart, only to be crushed again. (I have a New Zealand account while living in England)

However...

The wording of the account migration page seems to suggest that they will add more countries later. I bloody hope so.

• You can currently move your account to the following countries/regions: Russia, Poland, Brazil, Hungary, Greece, Czech Republic, South Africa, Colombia, and Chile*. To find information about Xbox LIVE features available in a specific country, please visit the xbox.com website for that country.
  • You may migrate your account only once every 12 months.

This is a big issue, as the region lock means I can't use the Zune service at all, and having bought a windows phone I cannot actually buy anything. Although I can still do XNA dev - just not access indie games on the 360 :lol

It really is an insane situation. I'm glad it's becoming slightly less crazy.

But you cannot migrate if you have a zune or XNA account. You have to cancel those services first (by a phone call) before trying to attempt the migration, because those services are not available in the listed countries.

I will not migrate at all.

Feindflug

I have a UK account and I think it's maybe too early to decide if I'll do the migration or not...my main concerns with this is that AFAIK I won't be able to download again what I have tied on my profile - I have 26 arcade games and many DLC's and I'm simply not risking it and the quality and the amount of content of the Greek Marketplace.

Besides the occassional locked content from Live I must say that I'm happy with my UK account. :p

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
besiktas1 said:
Sorry for the bump, I can't seem to find where to do it...

From the faq in the OP:

Q: How do I migrate my account?

1. Sign in to Xbox LIVE and go to My Account page.
2. Click on Account Region.
3. Select your country.
4. Follow the steps outlined. Remember to re-download your content to a USB flash drive or your hard drive before continuing.
5. Read and accept the Terms of Use.
6. Your account will now be migrated to the LIVE offering in your chosen country.
7. Select membership level—Silver or Gold.
8. For Gold membership you will required to enter your billing information.
9. You are now a member of Xbox LIVE in your country. Congratulations!

Also checking some forums here in Chile i found out that some DLC may not be available re-download right away, something to keep in mind if you are migrating.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why is it that whenever MS makes improvements for the better, I always feel more pissed off because it just highlights what they are doing wrong and it is always a fix that won't work for me.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Bumping this as I was doing my annual search of "whether this year I can migrate my account from Finland to UK where I have lived for years".

While the answer is same as every year - "No", at least this news offers some interesting tidbits.

- Account migration is technically possible
- It comes with a pretty hefty penalty of never being able to download your purchases again (i.e. say goodbye to all your old stuff if you ever change box)
- Looking at the disclaimers of what stuff won't work after migration, it's now clear why Microsoft has been hesitant to offer it previously: their consumer service would get flooded by confused consumers
- The wording suggests they have now a principle in place that could be universally utilized: you can migrate account once in 12 months
- This might be a pilot case for universal migration. They had no reason to offer it for the emerging markets, on the contrary - the people they are now servicing there were using grey import goods, however enthusiastic

So I'm cautiously optimistic that in the next year we'll see Microsoft create an universal migration from any country to another

[/end of bump]

Fredescu

Chittagong said:
- It comes with a pretty hefty penalty of never being able to download your purchases again (i.e. say goodbye to all your old stuff if you ever change box)
How do they justify that?

Fredescu said:
How do they justify that?
it depends on the content. they just don't have the legal right to distribute certain content in certain countries if they were "bought" in a different country.

yeah, in reality it only makes sense to the content owners. MS' hands are tied on that one.

Top Bottom