• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is increasing the price of Xbox Series X and Xbox Game Pass

Even without Day 1, PlayStation 1st party games are miles better than Xbox 1st party. Spiderman, Last of us franchise, Uncharted franchise, God of War, Horizon, Demon souls, Bloodborne , Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, Ratchet Franchise, Death Stranding, Days Gone, and that's just 1st party. There's also Final Fantasy 7 remakes , Stray, Tchia and Humanity.

All game ever made for Xbox old or new cannot compare to the quality of games on PS+.
Did you manage to get to the end of that without ejaculating?

jm89

£30 difference doesn't matter for the console. People are still going to get the console they want. Microsoft had the cheaper console for a while and they still have the cheap series S. Sony really should've released a weaker PS5 at the £200-250 price point. It would have sold like crazy. Smart move by Microsoft.

Game pass price hike was always coming it's no surprise. All subscription services do this. They hook you on a low price then raise it later.
You can't be serious?

Xbox sales as a whole are dire, series s has done nothing really to change that, they relied on it last holiday and it didn't work out very well. You have devs like larian already saying the challenges they are having with it.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Why even bother with such a laughably dishonest comparison?

PlayStation Plus doesn't include Sony's titles day one, Essential isn't the highest tier, none of this works on PC, Essential doesn't include classics, PlayStation Plus doesn't include all of EA Play, and no tier includes perks. It's overpriced for what it is.
Game Pass has all of Mircrosoft's titles day one, Ultimate works on Console and PC, every tier includes every functioning Microsoft title from all generations with notable BC improvements, Ultimate includes all of EA Play, and Ultimate includes monthly perks. Terrific value, even with the price increase.

Sony Ponys are running wild today.
You could switch that to Premium...and because of the annual sub discount its still alot cheaper than Ultimate.

Can also add its way easier to get Premium at a discount vs Ultimate. And the Premium discount doesn't max out at 3 years then you have to start over getting the discount at the end of those 3 years.

Last edited:
MS prepping for Starfield being a flop. This 13% uptick in price will be no doubt be to recover from lost money on Starfield dev costs and potential lost subs after people got their hands on the game?

Last edited:
MS prepping for Starfield being a flop. This 13% uptick in price will be no doubt be to recover from lost money on Starfield dev costs and potential lost subs after people got their hands on the game?

Probably 100% the opposite. From a marketing standpoint, this is probably the best time to announce a price increase. They just had a good showcase, and Starfield looks like it could be a winner so public perception is up, and people are less likely to hammer them about it.

Also it's being announced months before Starfield releases, so they can't be directly accused of inflating the price for new buyers.

Three

Doubt this very much. They know it will be popular and they are preparing to cash in on it as best they can. My predictions in the 2022 "Future of xbox" thread:

Personally I don't think many of your bullet points will happen. If we are talking about MS' strategy my predictions are these:

• Release keystone some time after June 2023
  • Release some of their mobile looking "xbox" games on mobile
  • Raise price near or after midyear next year before a major release
  • Change the definition of 'day one' with more titles

The first I think they are holding off on because right now they have to pretend cloud gaming is useless as they go through their acquisition troubles. Something that I didn’t really see coming in 2022. Point two I think is still happening. They will release their poor looking Unity games like Pentiment and As Dusk Falls in their upcoming "mobile store" if they ever launch it.

Winter John

Gold Member
The last game I downloaded was 2 Point Campus. That was fun. Mostly what happens when I turn on my XBox is I go look at the new arrivals section, see a bunch of half assed cheap as shit indies and a couple of AAA failures. Then I turn off the Xbox and go back to playing Hitman on pc. I'm subbed up until next February. I doubt I'll be subbing again unless MS get their shit together.

They must really think Starfield will move huge numbers, otherwise increasing the price right now feels very weird. With Japan being basically dead and Europe being dominated by Sony, so probably also all smaller and developing markets, beside Murica. I would have guessed waiting for Starfield and the increased demand to wait for some momentum and then talk about inflation and whatnot. Sony could have gotten away with an earlier price increase, MS did it now either too late (could have just followed Sony) or too early. They were the cheaper option- a gift from Sony-, now they only rely on their first party line up again, where people already have shown that they didn't care that much about so far.

feynoob

Banned
They must really think Starfield will move huge numbers, otherwise increasing the price right now feels very weird. With Japan being basically dead and Europe being dominated by Sony, so probably also all smaller and developing markets, beside Murica. I would have guessed waiting for Starfield and the increased demand to wait for some momentum and then talk about inflation and whatnot. Sony could have gotten away with an earlier price increase, MS did it now either too late (could have just followed Sony) or too early. They were the cheaper option- a gift from Sony-, now they only rely on their first party line up again, where people already have shown that they didn't care that much about so far.
People paid scalpers price for these consoles.
If they want to get one, they will pay those premium prices.

RevGaming

Like somebody else said, if they were growing subs numbers, they wouldn't have done this. Gamepass is close to being saturated and they're trying to recoup something when they lose a lot of starfield potential sales.

Xbox fans just follow whatever they're told and can't think for themselves. It's so sad when Phil says something, ps fans tell them this ain't it chief, and it backfires in their face. Always.

Gamepass is not the future unless you want mobile kind games where they monetize you for wanting to build a turret upgrade that takes a few days. I rather pay $70 with games improving, like horizon forbidden west and not redfall.

Console, sub and games increased and there was this whole narrative about ps5 $70 price tag and I really don't xbox fans holding accountability. Immaturity to admit themselves wrong.

These people will be in a rude awakening by the end of the gen.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does the cheap Live Gold to Ultimate glitch still work?

I think that one works.
Ask adamsapple adamsapple

Yes, it works.

Quoting one of my old posts with a step by step below. You can use cdkeys to get different regional XBL to save even more money if you follow the guide below.

1. Purchase [cdkeys.com] 12-Month Xbox Live Gold Membership (Turkey - Email Delivery).
2. Create [windscribe.com] Free Account on Windscribe VPN and Download App or Chrome Extension [windscribe.com].
3. Connect to Turkey on Windscribe VPN or using your own VPN service/app.
4. Redeem [microsoft.com] your Xbox Live Gold code(s) without agreeing to recurring billing.
You can stack up to three years of Xbox Live Gold.
5. Disconnect VPN.
6. Join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate [xbox.com] by purchasing your first month for $1 ($14.99 if you joined Game Pass before for $1). The $1 offer is only for first time usage for new accounts, after that you have to pay one months equivalent GPU price.

Don't enable auto renewal when asked.

When you're redeeming the Gold, you *MAY* get asked about getting an extra bonus month of Gold.

DENY THAT.

The reason is that it will fuck up the 36 month conversion, you can stack a max of 36 months.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Like somebody else said, if they were growing subs numbers, they wouldn't have done this. Gamepass is close to being saturated and they're trying to recoup something when they lose a lot of starfield potential sales.

Xbox fans just follow whatever they're told and can't think for themselves. It's so sad when Phil says something, ps fans tell them this ain't it chief, and it backfires in their face. Always.

Gamepass is not the future unless you want mobile kind games where they monetize you for wanting to build a turret upgrade that takes a few days. I rather pay $70 with games improving, like horizon forbidden west and not redfall.

Console, sub and games increased and there was this whole narrative about ps5 $70 price tag and I really don't xbox fans holding accountability. Immaturity to admit themselves wrong.

Maybe check the economy. The price increases reflects on the inflation that is going now.
Is it good, fk no. I am getting price increases.

It's just reality at this point that everything will see price increase.

Games saw 10$ price increase for this gen.

Nico_D

Cancelled my ultimate. In the future, I take the cheaper basic version every now and then when there's something I want to play - instead of keeping the subscription all the time and testing out different games like I've been doing for couple of years Their loss. Bad decision. in my opinion. Like if movie tickets were cheaper, people would go to see movies more often and the income would be at least the same. Instead raise the prices and take a risk of losing customers.

Sorcerer

Microsoft betting the farm that Starfield will drive people to Gamepass. Raise prices now!!! However when people are over Starfield, (due to the scope of the game I will say a couple of months at most), most of the casual subs are getting cancelled.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Or use sub services, without paying full price by either re-subbing at black friday or cheaper conversions. Why miss out 🤷‍♂️
That's like in the 90s saying you were missing out by not going to Blockbuster and renting all your games. At least back then you could choose the games you rent rather than having the selection chosen for you.

feynoob

Banned
That's like in the 90s saying you were missing out by not going to Blockbuster and renting all your games. At least back then you could choose the games you rent rather than having the selection chosen for you.
If you want to buy games, you can buy it. No one is forcing you.
This is for people who want collection of games.

RevGaming

Maybe check the economy. The price increases reflects on the inflation that is going now.

They were saying inflation wasn't a good reason for ps5 games price increases. Honestly they don't think on the reasons on why anything happens.

Davevil

rob_on_gold_600.jpg

Meanwhile me sitting on GPU until 2026

RevGaming

Microsoft betting the farm that Starfield will drive people to Gamepass. Raise prices now!!! However when people are over Starfield, (due to the scope of the game I will say a couple of months at most), most of the casual subs are getting cancelled.
If you are playing starfield and don't beat it in a month or two and that's the only game you're playing during those months, you are wasting money. 4 months is already $68. Just buy it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Exactly. Besides, either service has enough content that it justifies its price IMO (maybe not PS Premium, but Extra does).

People paid scalpers price for these consoles.
If they want to get one, they will pay those premium prices.
Scalper prices for Sony HW was much higher, therefore Sony could have easily increased much earlier, maybe more than they did, and then start to reduce it at the time they increased it, with some extra millions on their own accounts instead of enriching some useless middle men.
MS barely had scalpers comparatively and that scalping market crumbled before last xmas and only over xmas had some short lived revival.
A price increase did not hurt Sony one bit, since demand was sky high. Demand for Xbox is not. Yet.

Silliest thing I've seen in this thread and that's saying something. The s has done no favors for Microsoft.
Do you think keeping the price as it was help them any more? I don't think so. Again, £30 is no difference. If someone is going to pay £450 for a Series X then they will pay £480 for one as well. It was the same for PS5. If Sony made it £500 then people would still be buying it. And, I feel like I'm repeating myself here, Microsoft already had a long period of being the cheaper console with the Series X vs PS5. They stayed at £450 when PS5 went to £480. I think they kept it like that as long as they could but inflation is still a thing around the world especially in the UK.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Scalper prices for Sony HW was much higher, therefore Sony could have easily increased much earlier, maybe more than they did, and then start to reduce it at the time they increased it, with some extra millions on their own accounts instead of enriching some useless middle men.
MS barely had scalpers comparatively and that scalping market crumbled before last xmas and only over xmas had some short lived revival.
A price increase did not hurt Sony one bit, since demand was sky high. Demand for Xbox is not. Yet.
Doesn't change the fact that people paid those prices.

Facism

We saw a £20-30 increase, not a mere 10 dollars.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There will be a group just buying a month or two of GP just to play Starfield without a doubt but myself I will also be playing Forza and even Cities Skylines 2 then come Spring back to MLB The Show so even at the increased price GP is still a good deal for me (not to mention all the other games I have tried out along the way)

Ah yes, all the crystal ball doomsday GamePass scenarios in one post. Been touted for years, one of these days it’s bound to be right! Also it seems like a genius strategy you’re suggesting, raise the price, that will certainly get people subscribed.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Have to pay for Starfield somehow. Without releasing the game on the number one platform as originally expected, it's a lot of money left on the table. I still don't understand how it's profitable. Starfield costs must be through the roof with such a long development cycle. Raising service costs is the first step.
True. And to add to this, Redfall basically earned nothing. All those years of development and millions of dollars went down the gutter. All those factors would have played a role in this decision.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Buy games on top of spending more than $200 per year?

The whole point of an expensive collection is that you don't have to buy as much games anymore. But if the games that actually sell (chart in the top 10) are not even on the service, then that defeats the entire point.

Kvally

Banned
True. And to add to this, Redfall basically earned nothing. All those years of development and millions of dollars went down the gutter. All those factors would have played a role in this decision.
Starfield is a top seller on Steam still, has been for Xbox on Amazon as well. Expensive exclusives are common in consoles and has been for many many years. Remember, Game Pass is only 10-15% of the revenue. The game is selling as well. Though I suspect Game Pass subs will spike in September for Starfield, as well as Forza Motorsport in October.

This is crap, consoles should be dropping in price not going up. Should have at least increased the size of the SSD if they are bumping the price.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Starfield is a top seller on Steam still, has been for Xbox on Amazon as well. Expensive exclusives are common in consoles and has been for many many years. Remember, Game Pass is only 10-15% of the revenue. The game is selling as well. Though I suspect Game Pass subs will spike in September for Starfield, as well as Forza Motorsport in October.
Starfield will sell gangbusters on Steam, no doubt. But the point is that it was always gonna sell gangbusters on Steam. The problem lies with the rest of the 2 platforms:
  • PlayStation = The game doesn't exist on the largest console userbase, so will basically sell a grand total of 0 copies.
  • Xbox = It'll likely do a few million at best, but the majority would subscribe to Game Pass for $11 and finish it. Even if it takes 3 months for them to finish the game, that's still just $33. That doesn't even count all the people who are already subscribed, using the $1 GPU trick, waiting to play Starfield. So they will play at, essentially, no additional cost.
Even on Windows PC, a lot of gamers will play via Game Pass.

For the record, I do not think that Starfield will be a financial failure. Not at all. In fact, I think it will be the biggest Xbox hit in recent years. Having said that, it's pretty obvious that Xbox's strategies have severely limited its revenue potential with (1) no PlayStation release and (2) day one Game Pass.

feynoob

Banned
Buy games on top of spending more than $200 per year?

The whole point of an expensive collection is that you don't have to buy as much games anymore. But if the games that actually sell (chart in the top 10) are not even on the service, then that defeats the entire point.
You think buying games is cheap?
Subscription is away for you to experience those games and still buy the games that you want. It's called budget savings.

That 180$ is 6 games a year at 30$ price tag. For that money, I can play more than 10 games without spending a lot of money.

Top Bottom