• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloody Good Time out now on XBLA. The price? 400 Points (Atari's Haunted House too)

V_Ben

Banned
http://www.vg247.com/2010/10/28/bloody-good-time-and-haunted-house-now-up-on-xbl-marketplace/
Atari promised Haunted House back in July, and today it delivered the goods by releasing the homage to the original today on Xbox Live.

Bloody Good Time, a FPS from Outerlight, those who brought you The Ship, has been made available as well.

Haunted House will run you 800 MSP, while Bloody Good Time will run you 400 MSP.

Neither are available in Japan and Korea.

So, Buy Bloody Good Time. The guys who made it are on dev life support right now, and if this game fails? They're f*cked. Also, the game was apparently conceived as The Ship 2, but they changed the name. So, buy it if you enjoy that sort of stuff.

Link to the Trial

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg8.jpg

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
No offense, but if a developer is on "life support," why would they develop an low budget FPS in an extremely crowded and competitive market?

That sounds like suicide to me.

V_Ben

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
No offense, but if a developer is on "life support," why would they develop an low budget FPS in an extremely crowded and competitive market?

I wouldn't call this game an FPS in the traditional sense. But I get what you mean.

Princess Skittles said:

I see you know a lot about Outerlight.

I will definitely try this. I've always wanted to stuff a woman wearing a bunny outfit into a toilet with my foot while wearing a clown mask.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm definitely going to check out the trial. It's from the guys who made The Ship! THIS HAS TO BE AWESOME

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Valru said:
Earlier this summer Ubisoft officially announced plans to release Bloody Good Time, a first person action game where B-movie characters try to kill each other off on movie sets. The game was developed by UK-based Outerlight who gained fame as the makers of The Ship, an unusual mix of first person action, people sim and murder mystery that first started as a Half-Life mod. Both The Ship and Bloody Good Time use the Source Engine from Valve.

What is not generally known is that Outerlight as a development team has been shut down since finishing Bloody Good Time for Ubisoft some time ago. Both the company's official web site and the web site for The Ship are no longer online. Before Bloody Good Time was officially announced Big Download reached out to Outerlight team members for comment about the team's future. The company's co-founder Chris Peck finally agreed to answer our questions about the game and Outerlight in general.

Big Download sent Ubisoft our interview with Peck before posting it today and asked for their side of the development of Bloody Good Time and their reaction to Outerlight's current shut down. So far we have yet to receive an official comment from the publisher on the interview's content.

First, Outerlight released The Ship via Steam back in 2006. In fact the game was one of the first original games to be released via Steam. How did it feel to have the game released via this relatively new service at the time?

It felt fantastic! After spending a costly and soul destroying two years chasing publishing deals and failing, we were almost at a dead end. Valve offered us a chance to use their engine and the chance to distribute the game for a greater share in our sales. This saved us around £100k in engine costs, and gave us a route to market, which despite a reduced share in royalties was still greater than any traditional publishing deal would offer.

With hindsight it gave us more than that. It gave us creative freedom, which allowed us to create such an original game, and is a rare thing in games development. This freedom also gave the team a lot of satisfaction, as we were free to develop iteratively and use fast prototyping, so we had fun playing the game every week, as it remained a playable game from the first days of development to the end. This also allowed us to be very efficient, as well as stick to a core vision of what the game was going to be (even if the team were a little confused by it at times!!), something that is very much needed when delivering an innovative game on a budget of less than 700,000 pounds

On the official Outerlight web site it was said that The Ship 2 was in development with a major publisher. Was The Ship 2 the game that is now known as Bloody Good Time and was Ubisoft the publisher?

Ubisoft were keen to distance themselves from The Ship, so officially it's not the sequel to The Ship, but it is the game we were working on, and Ubisoft is that publisher. Also, fans of The Ship will recognize the kill loop immediately, so it's hard to pretend it has nothing to do with The Ship! That said, a lot has changed, the characters, style and setting, and the gameplay has been greatly refined, especially in the nature of the game rounds, which I think has really made the game come together. And, despite the difficulties of working with a publisher, we still managed to innovate and keep the game fun. I think it's perhaps fair to say it's better in every way to The Ship, art, audio, gameplay, code, and polish. Despite everything, we had a lot of fun times making it, and playing it, and it said a lot that the team and QA enjoyed it till the end of development, when they really should have been bored of it by then!

Why did the team decide to work with a publisher for this game rather than self-publish the game via Steam as you did before?

While Steam distribution/digital distribution remains the only sane choice for developers, the flaw with it as a business model is that you need funding to develop with. We were "lucky" in that for The Ship we raised finance for the company, which we then used to fund the game when Valve & Steam gave us an alternative route to market. Unfortunately, by that time we had spent two years and 600,000 pounds on pitch materials and demos chasing publishing deals (for a deal on distribution, not even finance!), so Ship sales weren't enough to fund the next project. Despite breaking even on the project itself, we had made a loss overall, so we didn't have a great story for investors. Had digital distribution existed when we started up I think we'd be in a different position now.

What was it like working with Ubisoft on the game?

Contractually, no comment.

In general, having worked in the industry for over 12 years, I can say that the creative freedom and the efficiency of independent development is somewhat inevitably lost, and that the milestone driven nature of working with a publisher is both open to abuse by publishers due to it's basis on subjective results (try to define "good" & "fun" in a contract!), and inefficient due to the slow turnaround of feedback and the distance of the working relationship.

While I have never met a developer who has a good thing to say about a publisher, I was still hoping that it would be a lot more of a co-operative venture, taking the best of Outerlight, and the best of Ubisoft, and combining them. On a positive note, I can say they had an excellent QA team in Romania.

While people often compare the games industry to the film industry, I'd rather compare a games team with a band, trying to come up with a new hit album, the publisher being the guy that sits in the corner and suggests you try a major rather than minor key for the chorus, and maybe change the lyrics to mention lady Diana...oh, and have you thought about hot backing singers, and maybe wearing monkey suits, marketing says they are both big right now. Not ideal.

For some time the official Outerlight web site as well as the official site for The Ship have been down. Has Outerlight been dissolved?

Outerlight has all but been dissolved. The team and the office are gone, all that remains is myself working unpaid in the hope to recoup some royalties from the game. It's been a pretty brutal period, losing the team being the hardest part, as they were the biggest asset for the company, and we shared a lot of good times together. At the moment, the life line for the company is ongoing Ship sales, which have meant we can keep trading until we hopefully see some BGT royalties.

With Bloody Good Time now officially announced, what is the current status and fate of Outerlight? Will the company be revived after the game is released?

The status of Outerlight is "critically endangered". Personally, I really hope the company will be revived. I know we made some mistakes, but I also know we got a lot right, we had a very happy, and very productive team, and we produced some innovative ideas, and I know I had a lot more good ideas, which I hope will see the light of day. I'd also say that while games development is challenging, it's also very rewarding. So, if there are any savvy investors out there, please get in touch!

In retrospect do you believe that Outerlight should have self-published the game?

I guess this is the right time to talk about the two business models, publisher and independent.

The traditional publishing model is awful for developers, it's their gilded cage. It requires costly pitching, to emissaries of publishers, who return to corporate rooms & badly pitch the idea to large groups who need consensus to act, and typically take 6 months to close any deal they offer. Publishers are motivated by greed, but restrained by fear of risk, and thus seek sure deals, licenses and sequels, which makes pitching innovation almost pointless. Should you get a deal, the usual is 20 percent royalties, but after the retailer takes their share of 50 percent, you are getting 20 percent of the 50 percent left (so 10 percent of retail price). That doesn't sound too bad, until you realise that the developer is the one that actually pays for the development, the publisher has just advanced the developer their share of the royalties to pay for making the game.

So...the developer takes 10 percent of retail, after ALL costs have been repaid from that 10 percent. Assuming the game cost £2m to make, and sold for 20 pounds, the developer gets 2 pounds for every unit, once the 2 million punds is repaid, so that's 1 million copies before the developer sees their first 2 pounds, meanwhile the publisher has recouped their 2 million pound and is sitting on an extra 6 million pounds. What happens next? History shows us the developer goes bust, or gets acquired by a publisher, and the publisher maybe buys another publisher for kicks.

The self-funded, digitally distributed model should be the future, it brings 70 percent of the retail price back to the developer, which means 14 pounds for every unit sold. Assuming the game cost 2 million pounds to make (although it wouldn't, being independently developed it would be half the price, being twice as efficient!), that's a break even for the developer at 142,000 units, instead of at 1 million units. If they did get very lucky and sell 1 million units they'd make a profit of 12 million pounds, instead of 0. For an efficient team like ours, we made the game for 700,000 pounds, so our break even would be at 50,000 copies. Instead of games development being seen as a hit or miss industry, it should be seen as a break even or profit industry, there is no miss, only the chance to do better next time.

All money aside, innovation is hard. Coming up with the next big idea is hard, and it's even harder to make it into a reality. Creating a good team, keeping them happy, and keeping the project on track is hard. Developers don't need a monkey on their backs making it harder.

However, the independent route still has the key flaw of needing funding. Investors are justifiably skeptical about developers (after all, we usually go bust), and banks don't lend, despite the public bail out, so where will the development capital come from? At the moment, the main option remains a publishing deal, and while it seems like a lifeline, it's more like a shackle with a death sentence at the end.

Finally is there anything else you wish to say about Outerlight's current and future status?

When all is said and done, I'm just happy it's being released. However, as Outerlight's raison d'être was to make good games, now is the most nervous time for me, waiting to see what the press and gamers think of it!

Thanks to everyone, the fans, the team, the investors, Valve, and the tax man for being patient...the cheque is in the post...soon...I hope. And, I hope you enjoy the game.

valru dropped this in the other thread, an interview with bigdownload. sounds like ubi royally reamed them. confirms everyone's worst fears about what happens when a big publisher snaps up a vulnerable young indie studio.

V_Ben

Banned
ghst said:
valru dropped this in the other thread, an interview with bigdownload. sounds like ubi royally reamed them. confirms everyone's worst fears about what happens when a big publisher snaps up a vulnerable young indie studio.

I was hoping somebody would post this. It really sucks :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm surprised Valve never approached Outerlight...or did they?

thetrin

V_Ben said:
Very nice. Hopefully it's mac too!

I doubt it. That's why I'm getting it on XBLA. :S

Not like Ubi has bothered much with the marketing either. At least the low price ought to give it a fighting chance.

Tried some singleplayer trial to get a feel for things and it's basically The Ship 2. I don't know how much of the stuff is new exactly as I didn't play The Ship a whole lot, but there's a lot of stuff. I haven't gone online yet so I don't know how it all plays out in practice, but it feels like it could be a good time.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Played a few rounds of this and it's growing on me. I think this game speaks volumes about the importance of proper pricing on Live. If this was 10 bucks it's unlikely I'd buy it, 15 and no way. For 5, I almost certainly will. So many games are poorly priced on XBLA these days.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Emerson said:
Played a few rounds of this and it's growing on me. I think this game speaks volumes about the importance of proper pricing on Live. If this was 10 bucks it's unlikely I'd buy it, 15 and no way. For 5, I almost certainly will. So many games are poorly priced on XBLA these days.
Due to the sheer volume of notable downloadable releases demanding attention I'm finding that gaming time is the resource that is becoming scarce, not MS points.

There are 26 people on the leaderboards right now. The game seems pretty solid. It's a streamlined version of the ship. I dunno if it's worth buying based on the community being pretty much non existant. P

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Emerson said:
I don't think this was meant to be a $5 title (and I don't mean that this is a price mistake).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Princess Skittles said:

They developed a low budget FPS long before they were on life support--which was a function of the long and troubled development for this title and apparently feuding with Ubisoft, the publisher--and the market's not really crowded when you realize that the only game even remotely similar to this is Assassin's Creed 2.5's multiplayer modes. It's unfortunate that people would look at it, say "It's an FPS" and not actually care what the gameplay or mechanics are before judging it.

Gowans

I'll throw the ship guys 400points but man I hope this gets some players around it, it would be pointless if it doesn't but for that price I could get some mates to just play it for a night.

Poor devs!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
SapientWolf said:
Due to the sheer volume of notable downloadable releases demanding attention I'm finding that gaming time is the resource that is becoming scarce, not MS points.

I wish I could say the same. Spacebucks (and realbucks, for that matter) are in short supply.

the ship is one of my favorite multiplayer games and I'll buy this on PC to support the devs for sure, but reading that interview posted earlier is sad.

Rad-

Tried the demo. Honestly, I can't see this selling much. Very confusing if you haven't read any info about the game. It's a solid game though and the price is great.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Rad- said:
Tried the demo. Honestly, I can't see this selling much. Very confusing if you haven't read any info about the game. It's a solid game though and the price is great.
There's a manual available on the Steam page.

I think there's a good chance that it will be able to retain a small but dedicated community for a long time, at least on the PC side. XBLA gamers tend to be more fickle and that may be in part because the platform lacks some of the tools that PC gamers have to keep small, disparate groups of gamers together. Community focused XBLA games need to take a hint from SFIV and Brink and allow for drop in multiplayer during a single player game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bloody Good Time
The XBLA controls aren't great. LB to select murder aid, RB to select weapon, d-pad left to switch murder aid, d-pad down to switch weapon, LT to use murder aid, RT to use weapon. Guards and cameras seem less significant than the Ship, although I only played for maybe 15 minutes.

When I tried the demo there was only one game online.

There are only three maps (although naturally they're pretty substantial maps).

The presentation of the menus and the game setup options is really plain. It seems kind of rushed, which is weird because the game has been being worked on forever.

You still have to pee/eat/sleep but it's very very very rare that you'll actually have to do any of them, as in you could probably finish a full game without having to do them. Not sure the mechanic in its current form makes much sense.

Will check it out on PC next week.

Rubezh

I'm definitely going to try this out on Steam when it's available but ... I'm really not so sure about the game. Based on what I've seen and read, it seems to play exactly like The Ship which is already 4 years old (6 years if you count the original mod). I would have expected some changes, modifications, or updates to the gameplay if they've had all this time to develop it.

I'd be curious to see whether this has a proper story mode like The Ship SP or just bot matches too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rubezh said:
I'd be curious to see whether this has a proper story mode like The Ship SP or just bot matches too.

Just bot matches in the demo and, well, half the stuff in the demo says "You must buy the full version to unlock <x>" so if I'm not seeing a menu option, there probably isn't one.

kai3345

Banned
Bought the full game, played two matches (One Arcade, one Online) its pretty fun, my only real gripe would be those massive tutorial messages that appear when you do ANYTHING

Rubezh said:
Just bot matches

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I dunno what you mean about never having to use Needs stuff. I played like 6/12 rounds and did everything several times.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Rubezh said:
I'm definitely going to try this out on Steam when it's available but ... I'm really not so sure about the game. Based on what I've seen and read, it seems to play exactly like The Ship which is already 4 years old (6 years if you count the original mod). I would have expected some changes, modifications, or updates to the gameplay if they've had all this time to develop it.

Well, The Ship is still selling for $20 so a $5 version with (arguably) better graphics wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. The PC version now has a release date of the 29th so I may just pick it up on Steam.

Still, I have to wonder if Ubi used the opportunity to make The Ship 2 as a carrot to get Outerlight to assist with Brotherhood's multiplayer mode. At $5, no marketing (not even press releases), and a bungled launch Ubi clearly isn't trying to make tons of revenue off the title, so maybe they already got what they wanted.

kai3345

Banned
Really liking this game. But you really need to learn the maps, and quickly, in order to be an effective player.

definitely feels like a more shallow version of The Ship. Seems like more action replaces the great slow mind games you'd have in The Ship. I mean, you can't walk into a room and close the door to fool your hunter into thinking you were vulnerable. If you get caught by security, all that happens is they stun you for a bit and take away a single weapon. Back to The Ship, getting caught meant you had jail time and that your hunter could be stalking you outside of jail.

Rlan

Linkzg said:
definitely feels like a more shallow version of The Ship. Seems like more action replaces the great slow mind games you'd have in The Ship. I mean, you can't walk into a room and close the door to fool your hunter into thinking you were vulnerable. If you get caught by security, all that happens is they stun you for a bit and take away a single weapon. Back to The Ship, getting caught meant you had jail time and that your hunter could be stalking you outside of jail.

At least you just have three things to deal with -- sleep, eat and toilet. No need to shower this time :p

But yeah,, I guess it's more limited due to the 8 player max (i think?) for the XBLA version. Might be different in the PC one. There are more traps and stuff that weren't in The Ship, like platforms that will plummet or gassing people in the elevator.

At the moment taking out your guns is a bit weird,, but I'll get used to it.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Not had a chance to really play it yet, hopefully it will have legs online when I eventually get around to trying it next week :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chiaroscuro said:
bah, could not find a single one game online. Leaderboards have only 80 entries. No one bought it?

wow, fret nice has some competition for worst selling xbla game of all time, maybe?

Shurs

If a group of GAF members are interested in picking up Bloody Good Time and having a "Game Night" every once in awhile where we party up and play it, I'd be happy to buy a copy.

Rlan

The leaderboards are ONLY Ranked and only count if you finish a ranked match -- which can take a while. Suffice to say, Player Match will be a lot easier to find.

Top Bottom