• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 BGG-Con GAF meet up/planning thread of Ameritrash, victory points and chits

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, several GAFers are going to BGG-Con in Dallas on November 17th - 21st.

carcassonne2.jpg

The main purpose of this thread is going to be figuring out who is coming, how many they are coming with, what games they want to play and what games they are capable of teaching/have played before.

If you know you are bringing certain games (or are getting certain games in trade or through the swap meet) please feel free and post that as well.

I am going to keep the OP updated with lists this relevant info. I might even make a Google Doc if I'm feeling up to it in the next few days.

catan-box.jpg

Settelers of Catan: originator of the sunset meme?

StoOgE

To kick this off.

I will be at BGG-Con and am coming solo.

Games I would like to play:
Monsterpocalypse shodown with Astrolad
Pitchcar
Agricola
51st state
The Great Fire of London
Battlestar Gallactica
Le Havre
Shadows over Camelot
Carson City
Twilight Struggle
Brass
Last Night on Earth
Race for the Galaxy
Arkham Horror
Power Grid
Mall of Horror

Some stupid Ameritrash games with lots of dice I would never buy
pretty flexible on anything else out there

Games I can teach:
Le Havre
Shadows over Camelot
Puerto Rico (little rusty)
Brass
Carson City
Twilight Struggle
Last Night on Earth
Dominion
Power Grid
Endeavor
1960: making of the president
most of the usual suspects (Carca, Catan, etc)

Games I am bringing/picking up at the Con:
Modern Art
Wits and Wagers
Liar's Dice
Battlestar Gallactica
Shadows over Camelot
Vegas Showdown
Intrigue
Perikles
Last Night on Earth
Saint Petersberg
Streetcar (might resell)
Hera and Zeus (might resell)
Nottingham (might resell)
Kingdoms (might resell)
Bridges of Shangri-la (might resell)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wow I never knew DFW was so beautiful. Might have to take an afternoon or two to do some hiking around the airport.

In any event going to be lots of gaffers + friends there. Maybe we can keep a running list?

Off the top of my head including:
-fenners
-Flynn +6?
-MichaelBD I think
-me +3

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You know random people are going to see "Ameritrash" and post about it in some non-boardgaming way.

fenners

I'll be there. Driving up Wednesday morning, leaving Sunday morning. My third BGG.Con. A good chunk of my regular gaming group will be there to some degree (~6-8 I think), they're pretty much old hands at the Con, big Eurogamers & can take care of themselves.

I'll play pretty much anything. I'm booked for a game of Dominant Species on Thursday & Twilight Imperium on Friday, my schedule is wide open bar some dinner plans.

I usually use BGG.Con to play games I'll never get to the table normally, some old favourites (Arkham + Shadows over Camelot both years for some reason) & whatever random games I get dragged into.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
We gotta play a couple games of Citadels at least. Such a perfect game for the situation. Beyond that I'm up for anything as well.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
We gotta play a couple games of Citadels at least. Such a perfect game for the situation. Beyond that I'm up for anything as well.

I could bring a copy of Roborally and we could combine with the one in the BGG library (just don't mix the cards up) for 16 people as well.

Flynn

StoOge:

I'm down to play these from your list:

Agricola
51st state
The Great Fire of London
Le Havre
Carson City
Brass
Race for the Galaxy
Power Grid

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
I could bring a copy of Roborally and we could combine with the one in the BGG library (just don't mix the cards up) for 16 people as well.
Yup another good idea for 5+.

I really need to learn MonPoc. Read the rules once but haven't had the chance to sit down and even do a solo setup. Maybe I can bring my army and you can teach me!

I'd also love to learn Shadows Over Camelot.

Ooh we need to do a LNOE game too. Shorter than Arkham but arguably more fun with a more casual group.

Flynn

AstroLad said:
Yup another good idea for 5+.

I really need to learn MonPoc. Read the rules once but haven't had the chance to sit down and even do a solo setup. Maybe I can bring my army and you can teach me!

I'd also love to learn Shadows Over Camelot.

Ooh we need to do a LNOE game too. Shorter than Arkham but arguably more fun with a more casual group.

I just played Shadows Over Camelot, so I think I can be helpful teaching that.

StoOgE

Flynn said:
I just played Shadows Over Camelot, so I think I can be helpful teaching that.

I've played it twice as well. It is extremely easy to teach.

It also plays up to 7 players so it works well for a good sized group.

Also doesn't hurt that I am buying it from a guy while at the Con :lol

StoOgE

AstroLad said:

I've got you covered. I'm going to sit down and solo it out on Wed night and try and teach it to a friend this weekend. It seems pretty simple in mechanics from reading the book.

And bring your buildings if not your full set. That way we can get 9 buildings each instead of 4.

fenners

StoOgE said:
I've played it twice as well. It is extremely easy to teach.

It also plays up to 7 players so it works well for a good sized group.

Also doesn't hurt that I am buying it from a guy while at the Con :lol

Like I said, I've played it at the last two cons, I'd love to play it again. Easy to teach, easy to play. I taught it the South Austin Gamers last year with my nice Scottish accent & I think they all had fun.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
I've got you covered. I'm going to sit down and solo it out on Wed night and try and teach it to a friend this weekend. It seems pretty simple in mechanics from reading the book.

And bring your buildings if not your full set. That way we can get 9 buildings each instead of 4.
Sweet yeah what is intimidating to me is all the damn abilities and how they interact. (It's always how abilities interact that screws you!).

In terms of larger games looks like at a minimum so far we are set for:
-Citadels
-RoboRally
-Shadows over Camelot
-LNOE if anyone wants to play with us :p

StoOgE

So looks like we might have a game of Shadows.. 4 with interest, can hold up to 3 more. If Astrolads group jumps in or we get other GAFers that would be a full game and ensure a traitor (I think?)

AstroLad said:
Sweet yeah what is intimidating to me is all the damn abilities and how they interact. (It's always how abilities interact that screws you!).

In terms of larger games looks like at a minimum so far we are set for:
-Citadels
-RoboRally
-Shadows over Camelot
-LNOE if anyone wants to play with us :p

I'm down for LNOE as well. I'm buying it at the Con so I'll have a copy ready to go. I don't own any expansions, but I bought the 3 web exclusive boosters.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
DFW looks a lot like Carcassonne. Which I find suspicious, given the fact that it is in the land of the George Bushes, bad football, and patriotic border patrols.

StoOgE

mre said:
DFW looks a lot like Carcassonne. Which I find suspicious, given the fact that it is in the land of the George Bushes, bad football, and patriotic border patrols.

that's the new border fence.

mre

StoOgE said:
that's the new border fence.

Great! Now we just need huge vats of boiling oil.

And it's a sad day when you're no longer sensitive to cracks about UT football. :(

StoOgE

mre said:
Great! Now we just need huge vats of boiling oil.

And it's a sad day when you're no longer sensitive to cracks about UT football. :(

I assumed you meant the Cowboys.

mre

StoOgE said:
I assumed you meant the Cowboys.

I suppose there is a lot of bad football being played in that state this year. But I digress.

What does BGG stand for? Board Game G_____? Board Game Geek?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
mre said:
I suppose there is a lot of bad football being played in that state this year. But I digress.

What does BGG stand for? Board Game G_____? Board Game Geek?
yep, www.boardgamegeek.com. bgg.con is a big convention for open boardgaming and exploring the beautiful dfw countryside while partaking in the occasional winetasting from local vineyards

mre

AstroLad said:
yep, www.boardgamegeek.com. bgg.con is a big convention for open boardgaming and exploring the beautiful dfw countryside while partaking in the occasional winetasting from local vineyards

Ahhh, cool. I've often perused the board game threads here, and would really like to jump in. Hopefully, I'll have a job after this year so that I can pick up some games.

StoOgE

I think I am going to cancel my reservation at the Westin (assuming I still can?).

There are several 3 star hotels within 2-3 blocks of the Westin that are 40 dollars a night this time of year. If I can save 400 dollars on my hotel I think I have to especially considering I have a car with me.

That and I get in trouble with hotel bars. Something in my head always tells me "have as much as you want.. you only have to stumble to the elevator" when I'm on business trips. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
I think I am going to cancel my reservation at the Westin (assuming I still can?).

There are several 3 star hotels within 2-3 blocks of the Westin that are 40 dollars a night this time of year. If I can save 400 dollars on my hotel I think I have to especially considering I have a car with me.

That and I get in trouble with hotel bars. Something in my head always tells me "have as much as you want.. you only have to stumble to the elevator" when I'm on business trips. :lol
400 bucks? Aren't you paying just $100 at the Westin?

The one thing I've seen on this point is that it's a genuine pain in the ass to not be staying at the hotel -- even if you're staying "close." (I'd imagine doubly so for someone like you who can and will be bringing a good amount of stuff down.) Maybe fenners can speak from experience.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
400 bucks? Aren't you paying just $100 at the Westin?

The one thing I've seen on this point is that it's a genuine pain in the ass to not be staying at the hotel -- even if you're staying "close." (I'd imagine doubly so for someone like you who can and will be bringing a good amount of stuff down.) Maybe fenners can speak from experience.

They didn't have any more rooms in the BGG "block" so I'm paying 160 a night at the Westin. It will be a pain since I am bringing (er.. buying) a lot of stuff, but I can leave it in my truck and pop out to get it when needed.

I don't know, I might change my mind, but I'm in the middle of a remodel of my condo and 400 dollars towards a new countertop sounds a lot better than not having to drive 5minutes.

Any advice would be appreciated from vets of the con.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
They didn't have any more rooms in the BGG "block" so I'm paying 160 a night at the Westin. It will be a pain since I am bringing (er.. buying) a lot of stuff, but I can leave it in my truck and pop out to get it when needed.

I don't know, I might change my mind, but I'm in the middle of a remodel of my condo and 400 dollars towards a new countertop sounds a lot better than not having to drive 5minutes.

Any advice would be appreciated from vets of the con.
You should check the BGG.con forum. That's how I got the room for my friend last week. This is about that time when people are realizing they can't make it and canceling left and right.

fenners

StoOgE said:

Yeah, I downgraded to the Ramada next door. I'm getting 4 nights for a little over 2 nights at the Westin (even with the discount). It /is/ nice to stay in the hotel itself, and the rooms are nice there, but when it's just me, I'm happy to cheap out. Free internet, free breakfast too ;)

First year, I bunked at a friend's house nearby (we used to live about a mile from the Con hotel, know the area really well) in the next town over & it worked /okay/. Last year, my wife flew up to hang out & visit her friends in the area, so we got a room at the Westin for the weekend. It was really nice to be able to just head up to the room & chill between games at times. Room service & food at the hotel are super expensive though & the internet is a ripoff.

This year, I'd booked a room at the Westin again (presuming my wife would repeat last year's trip up) but downgraded because of the cost. I'd originally planned to head up Thursday, then peer pressure made me decide to head up Wednesday. That extra night was going to be expensive, so I downgraded to the Ramada /right/ next door. I don't see it being a pain - still within distance to pop over for a break.

Lots of people stay at the Red Roof Inn across the street, but I couldn't be bothered crossing the road at night after a few beers ;)

StoOgE

fenners said:
Yeah, I downgraded to the Ramada next door. I'm getting 4 nights for a little over 2 nights at the Westin (even with the discount). It /is/ nice to stay in the hotel itself, and the rooms are nice there, but when it's just me, I'm happy to cheap out. Free internet, free breakfast too ;)

First year, I bunked at a friend's house nearby (we used to live about a mile from the Con hotel, know the area really well) in the next town over & it worked /okay/. Last year, my wife flew up to hang out & visit her friends in the area, so we got a room at the Westin for the weekend. It was really nice to be able to just head up to the room & chill between games at times. Room service & food at the hotel are super expensive though & the internet is a ripoff.

This year, I'd booked a room at the Westin again (presuming my wife would repeat last year's trip up) but downgraded because of the cost. I'd originally planned to head up Thursday, then peer pressure made me decide to head up Wednesday. That extra night was going to be expensive, so I downgraded to the Ramada /right/ next door. I don't see it being a pain - still within distance to pop over for a break.

Lots of people stay at the Red Roof Inn across the street, but I couldn't be bothered crossing the road at night after a few beers ;)

Thanks. Looks like this is going to be my plan as well then. Being on site is awesome. It's not 3-4x the price awesome though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Also you can't overrate the workout opportunity. I think my shoulder is still sore from lugging games to and from PAX East.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Also you can't overrate the workout opportunity. I think my shoulder is still sore from lugging games to and from PAX East.

For 315 dollars saved I can deal with a workout. Looking at google maps it looks like it's about a 30 second walk to the Ramada I'm at now.

now the real question.. do I save the 315 dollars or do I spend it on games at the con...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is it too ambitious to start organizing meet-up times and stuff? Stooge you can definitely hang with us for some gaming, we have 4, and among these people will be dropping in and out I'm sure and there are tons of good games for 5 like RFTG, Dominion, Galaxy Trucker (all with expansions), etc. and of course any games you can teach us. Only caveat is my friend from Houston doesn't know 90% of the games we'll be playing so there'll be some teaching time or even better learning time.

Also what events are you guys doing? I'm going to do Texas Hold 'Em just because I never pass up a chance to play Texas Hold 'Em but I'm less familiar with what else is at the Con beyond open gaming and game sales.

StoOgE

I'm ok with getting some games set up as well for the stuff we know we want to play. I think a full schedule is too much, but setting up a few sessions is probably a good idea otherwise people may get caught up in stuff and we'll never get to them.

And really, I am up for playing anything and everything. There are a few games I want to make sure I play before I leave, but I'll check anything out.

I also think some of the group from the game nights I've been going to at the bar are coming so I may be able to jump in some games with them. Plus, I'm sure random games will be taking place as well.

edit: I am thinking of trying to get into the battling tops and poker tournaments. I may be getting there later on Wed (4-5) so I don't know if they will be full by the time I try and sign up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh yeah I didn't mean like an official schedule or anything. I just know my group and I know if we don't have X & Y vaguely planned we'll just wind up playing shit with each other which hey no problem but still.

StoOgE

Maybe we should do Roborally/Citadels super session on Wed night since I assume very little will be going on at that point?

Shadows over Camelot/LNOE co-op gaming Thursday or Friday during the day?

Honestly we are going to have 16 or so hours a day of gaming. I probably won't want to touch a board game for a month after the con :lol

The weekend is when most of the events are going on so it may be harder to schedule people Friday night or Saturday.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
Maybe we should do Roborally/Citadels super session on Wed night since I assume very little will be going on at that point?

Shadows over Camelot/LNOE co-op gaming Thursday or Friday during the day?

Honestly we are going to have 16 or so hours a day of gaming. I probably won't want to touch a board game for a month after the con :lol

The weekend is when most of the events are going on so it may be harder to schedule people Friday night or Saturday.
Yeah that sounds good to me.

Don't forget our MonPoc game too!

I know it's a lot of days, but I also know the time is going to fly by.... I will take advantage by gaming really late like we did at PAX East.

StoOgE

So, Monpoc update.

I managed to set up and solo a "base" game. I still have to get all of the powers down but it seems really interesting. Your die are a resource that has t be balanced pretty carefully between getting units on the board, moving them around and attacking. Looks like there is a lot of strategic depth there.

The monsters at this point just play like overpowered versions of the units with hitpoints and access to power die (if you have obtained them). I think the powers are what are going to wind up really separating the monsters from the units. I'll have this figured out before BGG.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
So, Monpoc update.

I managed to set up and solo a "base" game. I still have to get all of the powers down but it seems really interesting. Your die are a resource that has t be balanced pretty carefully between getting units on the board, moving them around and attacking. Looks like there is a lot of strategic depth there.

The monsters at this point just play like overpowered versions of the units with hitpoints and access to power die (if you have obtained them). I think the powers are what are going to wind up really separating the monsters from the units. I'll have this figured out before BGG.
I agree it seems really dope. I'm very interested to see how it works out in practice. Maybe I'm nuts, and I'm sure they're making katrillions off their current business model, but I just feel that they would also have done gangbusters had they gone with a Summoner Wars model where you get two totally self-contained armies at at time. I'm not even one of these collectible-anything haters like most people on BGG but the collectible nature of this game does feel kind of tacked on.

Look forward to fully learning it next week! :p

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
I agree it seems really dope. I'm very interested to see how it works out in practice. Maybe I'm nuts, and I'm sure they're making katrillions off their current business model, but I just feel that they would also have done gangbusters had they gone with a Summoner Wars model where you get two totally self-contained armies at at time. I'm not even one of these collectible-anything haters like most people on BGG but the collectible nature of this game does feel kind of tacked on.

I agree with this, and there isn't any reason they couldn't have both.

Keep the "rare" bits only in the collectible packs. release something like they did with the 2 player starter kit, but make it transparent what armies you are getting and make them well balanced. Evidently the armies I got are going to make it an uphill battle for my terrasaurs vs the martians since one group is mostly flying with ranged attacks and the other is grounded. I would like to actually buy a 2nd starter kit but am worried I would get one of the same armies.

And I made it through the rest of the rules. They are a bit more complicated than the base rules, but not too bad. There are a lot of decisions to be made and symbols to be learned. I think the game itself is going to be a pretty nice resource management game since the die are used to activate and move units around the board, but obviously also your firepower.

Seems to be some interesting decisions about how many die you need to leave in reserve on one side of the board you aren't using for retaliation moves as well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
Seems to be some interesting decisions about how many die you need to leave in reserve on one side of the board you aren't using for retaliation moves as well.
The rules are really well done imo. The only thing missing is a couple turns playthrough but:
-Copious use of examples, often illustrating more difficult rules situations, is great.
-Repetition of key rules is great; most rulebooks are afraid to do this but I like it.

You can get them cheap, but the monpoc strategy guides have some good articles in them that go into some of the mechanics and strats that a person might miss, along with full stats for all units in that set, and extra scenario variants. Plus you get some more mats.

The monster is the center of your force, and changing out your monster for a different one will often completely change the way you will play that army. The monsters are both what you need to protect, and the most damaging thing in the board. Power attacks are what causes the most damage in the game, you will often be playing to try to set up that one super power attack that is going to eat up most of your opponents life, while also having to look ahead for retaliation strike.

AstroLad said:

Last two releases were Voltron and these new 2 army box sets, so in some ways I think they are playing with the notion of doing away with the collectible aspect, or at least to a degree. Monpoc releases have greatly slowed down, at first they were pumping out new sets each 3 months and now they are taking their time with it, and they still don't seem to know what to do with the next wave of figs that they already have done but not announced.

dogbert

I am so f'ing ready for BGG.Con. Packed up all my mathtrade/sold games last night. Got a document listing who/what/where for pickups/dropoffs. Got two games arranged (Dominant Species on Thursday morning, Twilight Imperium on Friday). Bring it on.

BTW, Funagain did totally drop the ball as expected - because most of the "big" Essen releases have been picked up by US publishers/distributors in the next six months, they didn't bring any over for BGG.Con. That includes the likes of 7 Wonders, Merkator, the Hansa Teutonica expansion. A buddy from my game group had a $400 order basically wiped out by their non-shipped games. These are games Funagain listed for preorder ahead of Essen. Doh.

Oh yeah, did anyone else do the BGG.Con math trade this year? Happy with your results?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dogbert said:
BTW, Funagain did totally drop the ball as expected - because most of the "big" Essen releases have been picked up by US publishers/distributors in the next six months, they didn't bring any over for BGG.Con. That includes the likes of 7 Wonders, Merkator, the Hansa Teutonica expansion. A buddy from my game group had a $400 order basically wiped out by their non-shipped games. These are games Funagain listed for preorder ahead of Essen. Doh.
Yeah I really thought the way they handled the whole process was beyond weird. Almost like they were trying to get preorders of stuff they were never going to have for the con anyway. The whole process was just really unclear from start to finish, which was why I canceled a month ago. I will be checking out their booth though to see if there's anything worth picking up.

But yes so stoked for the con. If only I didn't have some work to handle the next couple days I could bask more, but come Tuesday it's 100% gaming.

StoOgE

dogbert said:
Oh yeah, did anyone else do the BGG.Con math trade this year? Happy with your results?

I did and am pretty happy.

I'm trading away Big Boggle (really beat up), 10 days across the USA and Road to the Whitehouse for Wits and Wagers, Liar's Dice and Modern Art.

With the marketplace I am going to be getting

Last night on earth
Battle Star
Perikles
St. Petersberg
Shadows over Camelot
Kingdoms
Hera and Zeus
Bridges over Shangri-la

for a net of 60 dollars. Trying to resell the last two right now actually, if anyone wants Hera and Zeus or Bridges over Shangri-la for 10 a piece let me know :D

Looks like a guy from Arlington is going to drive to the Con and swap my copy of Heroquest for Arkham Horror as well. So I'm going to have a big upgrade to my collection at the Con.

I still have a few more games I need to part ways with either at or before the Con to make room for the new additions.

StoOgE

Ok, so in addition to all of the stuff I will be buying at the Con I am going to bring:

Roborally (so we can combine with the BGG copy for 16 players)
Monsterpocalypse

Thinking of bringing:
Carcassonne (since my copy will have the good expansions mixed in)
Race for the Galaxy (again, my copy has TGS, not sure what their copy will have)
Small World (again, all the expansions mixed in)
Bang! - again - I have an expansion already in there.

Is there anything else anyone wants me to bring/games people for sure want to play? It's pretty easy to throw a couple more in my truck if there is something that just has to be played. Here is my list of games:

StoOgE's games

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
stooge btw what monpoc factions are you bringing? i'm going to bring whichever two you're not bringing

dogbert

StoOgE said:
I did and am pretty happy.

I'm quite happy too - a number of small deals & a couple of "big" trades. I ended up deciding to trade away Cyclades, which I love but didn't gel with my regular game group, because it'll be easy to pickup again in the future. I'm getting Waterloo from Treefrog for it, which is not going to get to teh table often but I love the look of it, and it /will/ be hard to get. Definitely a trade up.

Otherwise, I'm getting Arkham Horror, Hannibal Rome vs Carthage, a German Mare Nostrum, Manifest Destiny, Descent Journeys In The Dark (yes!) & a couple of small games.

Giving up Cyclades, Dominion, Medal of Honor PS3, Toledo, Tsuro, Aquaretto & a couple of small games.

And in the flea market thread, I'm getting Castle (finally!), Dragon Parade, Caylus Magna Carta (steal at $10), Galaxy's Edge & Bus Depot diner. Couple of those are fodder for playing with my daughter. I'm down $15 net, before finding out if I'm going to win that copy of A Game Of Thrones today... I can handle that.

Oh & I'm getting my copy of High Frontier + expansion that a buddy is distributing at BGG.Con - if you want a hardcore science fiction game that looks insane (30 years in the making) but is really cool, get in touch with MWChapel at the Con - he's got copies direct from the designer & can beat Funagain's price easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom