• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 BGG-Con GAF meet up/planning thread of Ameritrash, victory points and chits

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
AstroLad said:
stooge btw what monpoc factions are you bringing? i'm going to bring whichever two you're not bringing

I have Terrasaurs and Martian Menace.

How many factions did you buy :lol?

StoOgE

Speaking of kids. If I don't sell my copy of Black Sheep before the Con and any of you want it it's yours.

I thrifted it for 2 dollars and tried to play it and it is clearly a child's game, Knizia or not. It's complete with a split corner and plays like a very simplified version of battle line but with a large luck component and without the tactics cards.

You have 3 fields that you populate with an animal and then you play cards similar to a poker hand (the cards are all just pictures of one of the animals). Whoever wins that field gets the animal on it which has a number that tells you how many points it is worth on the bottom (thus the luck component since you could be playing for a 1 or 3 point animal). Kicker being that black sheep are worth negative points.

Fucking Knizia has to have some tricky scoring mechanism even in childrens games :lol

Depending on age, I do have to warn you the game has very small plastic animals that are bite sized and could be a choking hazard.

I'm trying to clear up space and can't ever see a situation in which I want to bring it to the table.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have two starter boxes so I'll bring Shadow Sun and GUARD I think. Definitely Shadow Sun either way. I have Martian Menace too so I won't bring those. I'll try to bring all my buildings too I have like a katrillion.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
I have two starter boxes so I'll bring Shadow Sun and GUARD I think. Definitely Shadow Sun either way. I have Martian Menace too so I won't bring those. I'll try to bring all my buildings too I have like a katrillion.

Did you wind up with a duplicate faction from your second box? That is my fear that is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

StoOgE

dogbert said:
Arkham Horror
Hannibal Rome vs Carthage
Descent Journeys In The Dark
A Game Of Thrones

I will happily play any of these with you. Not to jinx your 13 dollar copy of Game of Thrones (seller is going to regret not setting a reserve on that one).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
Did you wind up with a duplicate faction from your second box? That is my fear that is keeping me from pulling the trigger.
Yeah I think it might be risky. I didn't though; four different factions. One thing I'm uncertain of is how the 4p game works. People say you need an extra base map yadda yadda but the rules don't really talk about that; they just talk about multi-monster games.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Yeah I think it might be risky. I didn't though; four different factions. One thing I'm uncertain of is how the 4p game works. People say you need an extra base map yadda yadda but the rules don't really talk about that; they just talk about multi-monster games.

I think it is probably a dice thing. Maybe you play the game on a single map but need the dice/spawn pools printed on the second one. I'm not honestly sure how the die management would work with two monsters because a single dice pool for both would be a disaster.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think you just lay em out side to side and each player has his own dice pool. Then you can use those combo attacks like double headbutt and the like. I'm getting way ahead of myself though with this 4p talk.

dogbert

StoOgE said:
I will happily play any of these with you. Not to jinx your 13 dollar copy of Game of Thrones (seller is going to regret not setting a reserve on that one).

I won that Game of Thrones for $13 in the end ;) Turns out, the seller is someone local to me here in Round Rock that I've played War of the Ring with. I should pay more attention.

AstroLad said:

From what I recall there is no official multiplayer rules for Monpoc, it's a 2 player game. For some tournies I know they have done it just using the basic tag team rules with players controlling/bringing their own figs to share resources with another player.

StoOgE

the amount of buyers that are flaking in the virtual flea market is really pissing me off.

I bought a copy of Blue Moon from a guy and then went ahead and bought expansions for the game pending getting the base game at the con. Now he isn't going. Out 35 bucks in useless expansions I'm trying to unload.

Guy who is buying Star Wars: Epic Duels for 60 bucks just got back to me that he isn't going to the Con either. Of course, I bid on several other items based upon the 60 dollars I was getting for that. He offered to buy it if I pay shipping. He is in Canada.. shipping would eat up nearly 50% of my sale price.

Vegas Showdown - After I got it for 10 dollars in an auction the guy claims that the game was completely destroyed when he moved. The other game I am buying for him at 80% of MSRP is perfectly fine though.

Ugg. Most of the transactions are going smoothly.. but really people. Don't list stuff if you aren't 100% sure you are going to be there to buy or sell stuff.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Player aids is actually something I just thought of. I printed out several MonPoc ones that I think will be really handy (talk about a game in desperate need of player aids) and I'm also bringing some LNOE ones and maybe a few others (Gric).

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Player aids is actually something I just thought of. I printed out several MonPoc ones that I think will be really handy (talk about a game in desperate need of player aids) and I'm also bringing some LNOE ones and maybe a few others (Gric).

That's a good call.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
stooge i'm going to pm you my contact info since email/phone will probably be the easiest way to communicate on the fly (e.g., "we need [1-4] more for [x game] wanna play?"). flynn i think you already have my info. if anyone else wants to get together spontaneously we can exchange info via pm too, just pm me

AstroLad said:

Printing out the latest ability sheets from the official site is the best thing. When I ran tournaments for the game, everyone played with the latest printout on hand, it's almost impossible to remember what all those symbols mean, and each expansion added new symbols/powers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So here's what I'm going to be bringing. Making it small since we're flying and I want to leave some room for stuff I may pick up at the con:

-MonPoc two armies & buildings.
-Small quick games for play on plane, in room, etc.: San Juan, Battle Line, RFTG, Citadels.
-Player aids for MonPoc, LNOE, Agricola, Citadels, Galaxy Trucker.

Don't think I'll be bringing any of my five or so holy-grail games as I'm sure they'll be at the Con and I don't want to damage them in transit. May add one or two more games but I'll definitely be relying almost completely on the library and whatever Stooge brings I suppose.

fenners

AstroLad said:
So here's what I'm going to be bringing. Making it small since we're flying and I want to leave some room for stuff I may pick up at the con:

-MonPoc two armies & buildings.
-Small quick games for play on plane, in room, etc.: San Juan, Battle Line, RFTG, Citadels.
-Player aids for MonPoc, LNOE, Agricola, Citadels, Galaxy Trucker.

Don't think I'll be bringing any of my five or so holy-grail games as I'm sure they'll be at the Con and I don't want to damage them in transit. May add one or two more games but I'll definitely be relying almost completely on the library and whatever Stooge brings I suppose.

What's your holy grail games, AstroLad?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fenners said:
What's your holy grail games, AstroLad?
To varying degrees:
Up Front
Antiquity
RoboRally+All Expansions
Union Pacific
Alien Frontiers (hey it should count! :lol)
Survive! (probably not anymore, and in any case irrelevant with the widely available reprint)
Space Hulk (not that I would bring this beast anyway)

fenners

AstroLad said:
To varying degrees:
Up Front
Antiquity
RoboRally+All Expansions
Union Pacific
Alien Frontiers (hey it should count! :lol)
Survive! (probably not anymore, and in any case irrelevant with the widely available reprint)
Space Hulk (not that I would bring this beast anyway)

Yeah, they'll all be in the library, I'm sure of it :) Last year, there was a fully painted copy of the new Space Hulk set up for play in the lobby.

StoOgE

Outside of the stuff I am buying I am going to bring:

Roborally (for 16 player combo game)
Bang!
Citadels
MonPoc
Carcassonne

I will be getting at various points in the week:

Shadows over Camelot
Hera and Zeus
Intrigue
Last Night on Earth
BattleStar Galactica
Bridges over Shangri-la
Kingdoms
Saint Petersberg
Perikles
Modern Art
Wits and Wagers
Liar's Dice

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think LNOE will be really fun to play if we get six of us together. Four hero players, two zombie players it's pretty much the perfect semi-meaty 6P game. For Sale being the perfect light 6P game although there is a bit of kingmaking there if one of your friends is just going to fuck with you and keep bidding you up. I guess I'd put Citadels in between those two as another awesome 6P.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hey fenners the official schedule says library is open til 1 AM but gaming goes on til well past that right? do they make you check in all your games at 1 or something?

fenners

AstroLad said:
hey fenners the official schedule says library is open til 1 AM but gaming goes on til well past that right? do they make you check in all your games at 1 or something?

You're allowed to have a game checked out overnight (technically a game + its expansion, I believe). There's a new wrinkle with the forced time limit for certain new Essen releases, but they're still allowed to be checked out overnight.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:

There is talk of the Library shutting down early on several nights as well.

I could always bring a couple of meatier games in case we have sessions going over night. Granted if we all checked out one game over night we wouldn't get bored in all likelyhood... but again, me bringing extra games isn't an issue at all. I'll just leave them in my room when not in use.

Maybe Carson City, Brass and Le Havre? Seems like we will have enough light and medium games there, maybe I should bring something a bit heavier?

I'm going to try and grab as many of my games I'm picking up as I can on Wed night, but some of them may not be in my possession until mid-day saturday.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fenners said:
You're allowed to have a game checked out overnight (technically a game + its expansion, I believe). There's a new wrinkle with the forced time limit for certain new Essen releases, but they're still allowed to be checked out overnight.
Thanks, where is the list of games again? I'm going to print that out to bring along too.

There is talk of the Library shutting down early on several nights as well.

I could always bring a couple of meatier games in case we have sessions going over night. Granted if we all checked out one game over night we wouldn't get bored in all likelyhood... but again, me bringing extra games isn't an issue at all. I'll just leave them in my room when not in use.

Maybe Carson City, Brass and Le Havre? Seems like we will have enough light and medium games there, maybe I should bring something a bit heavier?

I'm going to try and grab as many of my games I'm picking up as I can on Wed night, but some of them may not be in my possession until mid-day saturday.
Totally be up for learning Carson City, and maybe Le Havre (or you could teach us Carson City and we could teach you Gric). Brass might be a bit too heavyweight, at least for my non boardgaming friend who's accompanying us.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Totally be up for learning Carson City, and maybe Le Havre (or you could teach us Carson City and we could teach you Gric). Brass might be a bit too heavyweight, at least for my non boardgaming friend who's accompanying us.

I for sure need to get a game of Agricola in.

Maybe Power Grid instead of Le Havre or Brass. Le Havre is a blast, but the 5p game is supposed to be exceptionally difficult if you don't already know what you are doing. And Brass is a Martin Wallace game. So yeah.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
I for sure need to get a game of Agricola in.

Maybe Power Grid instead of Le Havre or Brass. Le Havre is a blast, but the 5p game is supposed to be exceptionally difficult if you don't already know what you are doing. And Brass is a Martin Wallace game. So yeah.
That is the tough thing about Gric too. 5P game takes easily 2.5+ hours especially with new people but meh I love Gric and Flynn taught it to us at Pax East so maybe we can make it a tradition.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
That is the tough thing about Gric too. 5P game takes easily 2.5+ hours especially with new people but meh I love Gric and Flynn taught it to us at Pax East so maybe we can make it a tradition.

Le Havre can make it very hard to do anything at all with 5p, I'm still down for teaching it though. Carson City is really easy game to teach and a lot of fun, so that one is a no brainer. With the combative nature of the game you wind up with a better game with more players as there is more resource scarcity which leads to more duels.

I don't know how Agricola works, but with Le Havre there are 7 actions a round and at the end you have to feed your crew. These 7 actions are taken sequentially by the players so this essentially works out two 2 players getting 2 actions and 3 players getting a single action that round and then needing to pony up money or take a loan to feed your family.

A 3 player game everyone gets at least 2 moves and a 2 player game everyone gets at least 3 moves a round.

The imbalanced rounds work out in the end because of the number of rounds the game has makes sure everyone gets the same amount of actions, but the game forces you to take loans out early in the game to feed your crew because it is nearly impossible to feed your crew with a single action unless there are a ton of fish in the offer pile.

Flynn

AstroLad said:

I'd be glad to teach Agricola. Apart from Race For The Galaxy its one of the games I'm most comfortable teaching.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dun dun dun . . . and here we are.

Hope to see you dudes there tomorrow. We're getting in around 9 PM tonight, going to grab a bite, then probably head down to the Con at 9 AM tomorrow to soak it all in (not to mention we have lots of good portable gaming with us so hanging out for an hour or so actually sounds kind of fun).

They're running Intro to Werewolf sessions I think tomorrow and Thursday night. Might check one of those out as I've never actually played. Seems to be quite a popular activity in the late night.

StoOgE

I have to run my dog out to my parents house in driftwood then I'm going to drive up in the morning.

I'm planning on being there no later than 3-4PM. I want to get in before Dallas traffic kicks up.

fenners

StoOgE said:
I have to run my dog out to my parents house in driftwood then I'm going to drive up in the morning.

I'm planning on being there no later than 3-4PM. I want to get in before Dallas traffic kicks up.

I'll be there from around midday/1pm tomorrow. If you see a baldy chubby guy, that's likely me. Yeah, that narrows it down, lol.

StoOgE

fenners said:
I'll be there from around midday/1pm tomorrow. If you see a baldy chubby guy, that's likely me. Yeah, that narrows it down, lol.

I'll be the hipster that looks like a younger ginger Elvis Costello.

StoOgE

Flynn said:
Layover in SLC. Be there tonight. I look like fat John Lennon.

we could totally start a band.

If only I could play an instrument that didn't connect to my 360.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Whoop just touched down. Played some 3p RFTG and carc on the plane. :D Now to go grab a bite to eat....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
whoooo board games!11

pretty much gaming from 10 AM-1:30 AM for us (be later but by friends and stooge are wusses) so big success.
-was really impressed with the games they gave away. really really impressed. we didn't even wait in line and just registered at 11 AM and we walked out with stuff like telestrations and seafarers and there was a ton of other stuff in that room that was really high quality.

-mostly games with our group since we taught a lot of stuff to our non-gaming friend, most notably galaxy trucker but also lighter stuff like citadels and jaipur (<3)

-tried out just a ton of games that were new to all of us. rather than hunt down specific stuff we really just browsed and plucked from the shelves in the amazing library. nothing even remotely heavy but it was great to just plow through so many new games in so short a time. also loopin louie is awesome; never got a chance to play that before. should have had this around instead of hungry hungry hippos when i was a kid.

-saw flynn but didn't get a chance to play w/ any gaffers. maybe tomorrow! i wanna check out the stores and maybe some of the demos during the day but afternoon on it's all gaming once again.

everyone's had a blast so far

StoOgE

Yeah, I checked out the stores yesterday.

Most of the games being demoed are not new for some reason (probably trying to demo games they can actually sell). The Funagain store is pretty bad. They sold out of most new games already.

Haven't checked out Thoughthammer or Troll and Toad's store yet.

Anyway, hit up my cell. I'm headed over there in about 15 minutes and am basically up for playing whatever game I can weasel into. It isn't too hard now that I realize someone walking around carrying a box with the top of the box facing outwards is looking for players :lol

I am also planning on staying out really late tonight (but eating earlier). I think my staying up till 4:00 AM Tuesday plus 4 hour drive all hit me. I ordered a pizza to the room and by the time you texted me I was asleep. I did one of those "I'll just rest my eyes until he texts then I'll get up" things. I don't think in the history of mankind that plan has ever ended in anything other than falling asleep.

Flynn

Astrolad, do you have a new mobile #? I've been texting you.

Have a couple hours to kill and a copy of 51st State from the library.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Flynn said:
Astrolad, do you have a new mobile #? I've been texting you.

Have a couple hours to kill and a copy of 51st State from the library.
hmmm that's really weird same one, but i'll send you a text so you have it

me stooge, my friend, and someone new all just played a round of gric. it was really good and fun.

about to grab some lunch (hahah) but we'll be back at it in an hour or so

StoOgE

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my first game of 'Gric.

I came in 2nd but got walloped by Astrolad. I think he had right at double my score in the high 40s.

I think the next time I play I need to not ignore the improvement and job cards and develop a better strategy. My basic move was to not get negative points from anything other than the fields. Seems like boosting up vegetables would have been better than getting a few of a couple others.

StoOgE said:
My basic move was to not get negative points from anything other than the fields.

This isn't a terrible basic move really, since you go straight from -1 to 1 in each subcategory, there's no 0. So being fairly diversified is pretty good.

That said, I rarely ever manage to get points from all three types of animal.

Flynn

Me and my buddy are heading to dinner. Will try to connect with you later. Can teach Le Havre if you want to keep the harvest action going.

StoOgE

Played another 5p game of gric. Decided to specialize a bit more and did better. Came in 3rd so pretty happy.

Taught and played a game of shadows over Camelot. Astrolad and I both died but picked up a postumus victory for the king. Had a blast.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
Played another 5p game of gric. Decided to specialize a bit more and did better. Came in 3rd so pretty happy.

Taught and played a game of shadows over Camelot. Astrolad and I both died but picked up a postumus victory for the king. Had a blast.
That was awesome. Didn't realize how different Agricola played with 4 and 5 people. Shadows was great too -- pretty much everything you'd want from a mediumweight co-op.

StoOgE

So to make up for my early to bed from last night.. I just got done playing a game of Fire and Axe with some of the people from my normal gaming night.

Fun game, but the dice were not kind to me at all. My vikings inability to raid a town because a running gag throughout the game. I made some stupid tactical decisions as well, like risking following people into battle to clean up their leftovers.. and then watching them win leaving me with two wasted turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom