• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 | Review Thread

SCB3

Bought and played through Arcade battles a few times, Tekken is my main fighting game, and Jin will always be my main(Though I will never ever forgive them for changing him in Tekken 4 onwards!)

I am still so bad, I always forget how to bloody block and get out of juggles

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I tested all the upscalers and here's how I rank them in terms of image sharpness (least amount of ghosting), this is at my native res and "100" for the upscaler:
TSR
XeSS, FSR2 (I believe FSR2 introduces some input lag though)
NIS, TAAU, Catmull
FSR1

There's a bit of an inverse property going on with specular/reflective surfaces like water, the extra ghosting of some of the upscalers actually make those look smoother.
TSR is the best option if you can run it, since it's the most demanding, but it seems XeSS is the best overall performance/quality wise.
This game is fantastic but how the F do you add your friends in game?
I think you can only add people if you play against them.

The "exciting replay" feature is so cool. I can eat lunch while watching random matches. I like how it shows when people use the "special" controls.

There should be some sort of placement matches. Every match are "beginners", but then they each perform 10 hit air combos and such. I'm afraid to go online until all you veterans rank up.

Klosshufvud

I tested all the upscalers and here's how I rank them in terms of image sharpness (least amount of ghosting), this is at my native res and "100" for the upscaler:
TSR
XeSS, FSR2 (I believe FSR2 introduces some input lag though)
NIS, TAAU, Catmull
FSR1

There's a bit of an inverse property going on with specular/reflective surfaces like water, the extra ghosting of some of the upscalers actually make those look smoother.
TSR is the best option if you can run it, since it's the most demanding, but it seems XeSS is the best overall performance/quality wise.

I think you can only add people if you play against them.
Yup, in the DF video, they also say TSR is the absolute best upscaler. I can confirm that, both on stationary and also on handheld. TSR does the job best.

//DEVIL//

Just finished the game. I kinda put Tekken 3 somehow by mistake as music for the game. Not sure how this works yet but man. Listening to Tekken 3 sound track during one of the final battels was Oh My god .

Man this whole game is epic . The story is epic. The graphics are out of this world. Just stunning gsme.

SkylineRKR

Matches are kinda laggy on average, I guess its server load. The beta was better.

I still have to find my main, I wasn't too sold on the lineup at first because I mained Fakh and Lydia and they've been axed. Reina is fun though, Azucena too. And I try Zafina for a bit since the Azazel powers are pretty cool idea.

I changed the character select BGM to TTT1. Gonna change more, the OST is among the lower tiers i'm afraid. I need some nostalgia in there.

Klosshufvud

Matches are kinda laggy on average, I guess its server load. The beta was better.

I still have to find my main, I wasn't too sold on the lineup at first because I mained Fakh and Lydia and they've been axed. Reina is fun though, Azucena too. And I try Zafina for a bit since the Azazel powers are pretty cool idea.

I changed the character select BGM to TTT1. Gonna change more, the OST is among the lower tiers i'm afraid. I need some nostalgia in there.
We need a list of all the stages with wubwub music so I can instantly replace those.
Edit: I'm actually going through and replacing the songs with the best from T7, T5 and TTT. Some true bangers in there. T8 has some decent ones but some are just bad. Luckily you can preview the stage music in the jukebox.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It's funny how you can instantly tell when the game switches from FMV to real time because the image gets so much sharper lol.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
QNNR.gif

Talk about spending crazy amount of money on marketing.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No it didnt. It was PS5 running the game in HDR container but the full version has HDR and looks much better
So the Demo was tricking the PS5 in thinking it has HDR but it didn't
I can't tell as my copy as been delayed till Monday.
Fucking DPD

Last edited:

Luipadre

So the Demo was tricking the PS5 in thinking it has HDR but it didn't

If you set HDR always on in PS settings everything runs in "hdr" even SDR content, but that doesnt mean its real HDR support. Final game has HDR settings too

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you set HDR always on in PS settings everything runs in "hdr" even SDR content, but that doesnt mean its real HDR support. Final game has HDR settings too
Mine is not on always on thou.
qUllCT7.jpg

So if it's outputting HDR, The game is doing it

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
finished the story, was pretty cool, and the easy controls make it less about learning the moves and just fighting, so it keeps up the pace.
The end battle I feel wasn't as epic as T7, composite Jin was cool, but Heihachi's refusal to quit will never be topped I guess.
Was hoping to see more of Reina, but seems they are saving that for T9 lol.

Klosshufvud

finished the story, was pretty cool, and the easy controls make it less about learning the moves and just fighting, so it keeps up the pace.
The end battle I feel wasn't as epic as T7, composite Jin was cool, but Heihachi's refusal to quit will never be topped I guess.
Was hoping to see more of Reina, but seems they are saving that for T9 lol.
I feel like this story was basically completely redundant with zero sense of closure. Atleast T7 went somewhere. And Akuma kept things fresh and mysterious.

Klosshufvud

It kinda feels like it ends at the second act, and Reina was going to be the third act.
Yes that's true now that you say it.

The part with Kazuya getting hit by Claudio's arrow also went nowhere. Kazuya seemed in total control of Azazel and they forgot all about Azazel's spirit leaking.

Oh well, it's just a fighting game but I feel like they missed some easy home runs.

EruditeHobo

Bought and played through Arcade battles a few times, Tekken is my main fighting game, and Jin will always be my main(Though I will never ever forgive them for changing him in Tekken 4 onwards!)

I am still so bad, I always forget how to bloody block and get out of juggles

Last Tekkens I really played extensively were 3, Tag, and I guess some of 5, so I'm in a similar boat.
Heat and Rage stuff is basically all new to me, and my defense is for shit... can't avoid getting juggled, yet.

Looks great and it's fun to re-learn King though. Looking forward to checking out my other characters more in-depth.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Yes that's true now that you say it.

The part with Kazuya getting hit by Claudio's arrow also went nowhere. Kazuya seemed in total control of Azazel and they forgot all about Azazel's spirit leaking.

Oh well, it's just a fighting game but I feel like they missed some easy home runs.
Yeah they just fast forwarded through kazuya's recovery there lol.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The fact that none of the stages have heat haze shadow is an atrocity, but it's great that you can just change the songs to whatever you want and there's an ass ton of them from all the game.

SkylineRKR

The story is rather shitty, but I liked

Devil is gone from both Kazuya and Jin moving on. I was getting bored by this narrative.

Namco sort of ruined Jin in T6 by starting a war. He did it to lure out and defeat Azazel to erase the devil gene but that obviously didn't work. And then in 8 he begs his Devil persona to help him out anyway.

But then Reina has devil gene too.. so she is a daughter of Kazumi or something? Because otherwise it wouldn't be possible for her to have it. Kazumi's bloodline had it, which is why Kaz had it which was her son. And Jin inherited it from Kazuya. Lars don't have it and he's from Hei and another woman.

The sequel will continue with Reina obviously. Then Jun. So she lured Ogre to the sacred ground and drove him off, and then stayed hidden from some time before T3 until now? She seems to approach Kazuya at the very end.

Claudio and Zafina were useless. Zafina essentially made Kazuya god tier and Claudio's arrow did... stall him for a while? This went nowhere basically

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The story is rather shitty, but I liked

Devil is gone from both Kazuya and Jin moving on. I was getting bored by this narrative.

Namco sort of ruined Jin in T6 by starting a war. He did it to lure out and defeat Azazel to erase the devil gene but that obviously didn't work. And then in 8 he begs his Devil persona to help him out anyway.

But then Reina has devil gene too.. so she is a daughter of Kazumi or something? Because otherwise it wouldn't be possible for her to have it. Kazumi's bloodline had it, which is why Kaz had it which was her son. And Jin inherited it from Kazuya. Lars don't have it and he's from Hei and another woman.

The sequel will continue with Reina obviously. Then Jun. So she lured Ogre to the sacred ground and drove him off, and then stayed hidden from some time before T3 until now? She seems to approach Kazuya at the very end.

Claudio and Zafina were useless. Zafina essentially made Kazuya god tier and Claudio's arrow did... stall him for a while? This went nowhere basically
Reina is either kazuya's full sister or she succeeded where heihachi failed in taking the devil power for himself.

Tekken 8 customize sucks. That and the characters roster are my only complain for the game.
It's a real double edged sword. At long last the pieces fit (damn, that song will be in my head all day), but therefore they are so damn few. I loved the editor in TTT2 but damn, all those balloon shirts puffer pants...

SCB3

Last Tekkens I really played extensively were 3, Tag, and I guess some of 5, so I'm in a similar boat.
Heat and Rage stuff is basically all new to me, and my defense is for shit... can't avoid getting juggled, yet.

Looks great and it's fun to re-learn King though. Looking forward to checking out my other characters more in-depth.
Yea I always press back as thats how to block in SF and nope, you have to be neutral/ducking neutral, I doi wish it was a button like MK, but I get it

Top Bottom