• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Books of The Year - 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
3145bhw.jpg

2v2gq4p.jpg

Posting Format
Post the book cover and review for your overall book of the year. Feel free to have runner up references as well. Since this is the first "Books of The Year" thread
we have done it would also be beneficial to post what your 2009 book of the year would have been. This can serve as a touchstone for members who are looking
for a new book based on other books they really liked.

-Book does not need to have been released this year.
-Feel free to add several books based on genre.

2ist7vs.png

63yvsn.jpg

The Name of The Wind
Author: Patrick Rothfuss

Review:
"We have all the groundwork now. A foundation of story to build upon." The Name of The Wind does exactly that. It establishes such a rich mythology through characters and its settings that I was drawn in from the very first page to the last. Fantasy is in my opinion a very difficult genre to do well. After Tolkien most attempts feel like blatant copies or stay within a relatively limited scope. The Name of The Wind not only feels fresh and original but also has a amazing wealth of detail painted into the world. Most books introduce you to the rich history of a society through boring expositions. The Tale of The Wind expertly avoids this by having things naturally referenced through conversations or interactions with the characters. The whole time I felt like I was eavesdropping on this world that would go on fine without me. Its really impressive when you consider this is Patrick Rothfuss's first book since it seems so effortlessly done. I gave the book 5 stars but as part of a trilogy I feel those can only be truly deserved once the second and third book have been released and hopefully continue this wonderful tale. As a first book It certainly has laid a foundation for them to be amazing.

Runner Up:
The Terror
Author: Dan Simmons

////If you want to copy the styling I did just take out the dashes in the reference below////

[IMG-]http://i52.tinypic.com/2ist7vs.png[/IMG-]
[highlight-]Book Title[/highlight-]
Author: Author

Xater

So can I vote for every category I see in the OP picture or can I just pick a single book overall?

Also the book does not have to be released in 2010 right?

Xater said:
So can I vote for every category I see in the OP picture or can I just pick a single book overall?

Also the book does not have to be released in 2010 right?

Yes on both accounts. If you have read enough to cover several genre's go for it.

Shanadeus

Banned
2ist7vs.png

n288571.jpg

Twisted Metal
Author: Tony Ballantyne

Review:
As the start of a new sci-fi trilogy Twisted Metal does an amazing job laying down the necessary foundation and background while taking us along a gripping tale with such human themes that it's easy to forget that the story revolves around robots. His writing style is surprisingly simple and clear, quite devoid of the superfluous or "poetic" that too many sci-fi writers mistakenly believe make their work legitimate, yet every sentence and paragraph is subtly infused with so much soul that you can't help but wonder if the author was on crack while writing.

I'm quite sure that his next books will live up to the standard set with Twisted Metal and I give it 5/5 golden stars.

Fireblend

Banned
Very nice thread, can't wait to see the results as GAF has been a great source of reading material over the last couple of years for me. But if I get a vote in every category it's going to take me a while to select and write something about them :lol you'll have to give me some time.

Fireblend said:
Very nice thread, can't wait to see the results as GAF has been a great source of reading material over the last couple of years for me. But if I get a vote in every category it's going to take me a while to select and write something about them :lol you'll have to give me some time.

Cant wait man get on it!

Shanadeus said:
Twisted Metal
Author: Tony Ballantyne

This sounds right up my alley Shanadeus. I'm getting this right now.

Dresden

2ist7vs.png

The+Judging+Eye2.jpg

The follow-up to the Prince of Nothing trilogy. Seems to follow the Lord of the Rings as inspiration--with all the twists we've come to expect out of the author--as opposed to the stuff the first trilogy took from the First Crusade.

The last third of The Judging Eye was some epic fucking shit. Those couple of chapters just mount up the tension, the horror, and the sheer badassery of the characters involved.

Xater

Fiction
51vU7xOvElL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Norwegian Wood
Author: Haruki Murakami

Comment: I just loved this book front to back cover. I wasn't able to put it down in the 2 days I finished it in. Somehow this story kinda coming of age story just grabbed me.

Fantasy
5197JSH0VYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A Game of Thrones
Author: George R.R. Martin

Comment: Well I made it pretty obvious that the first time I tried reading this it jsut did nothing for me and I quit about 100 pages in. I think it was my wrong expectations of the book. I gave it another shot and really enjoyed this tale of family, honor and intrigue. In fact I started the second book the moment I finished this one.

Science Fiction
512FCbmqUuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

World War Z
Author: Max Brooks

Comment: First I am not sure if it counts as sci-fi so if the OP diagrees I also have another choice. Otherwise I have to say that I did not go into this with much expectations and thought that it ended up really interesting. I am a big zombie fan and I have to say that telling it from the perspective of different survivors was unique and interesting. Especially since Brooks tried to give pretty realistic representation of what might happen, without falling into too many zombie movie tropes.

Non-Fiction
51d84G1QjOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Tokyo Vice
Author: Jake Adelstein

Comment:
This was a tough one for me. I also really enjoyed Freakonomics but in the end I think this was the better book overall. Adelstein is a great writer, sometimes funny, sometimes serious but always spot on no matter the situation he is describing. It also is just something you don't read about every day. Getting this perspective of crime in Japan was just fascinating.

Sorry I was a bit lazy with the pictures.

2ist7vs.png

abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter.jpg

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Author: Seth Grahame-Smith

Review:
This book was really pleasant to read, and I could not stop reading. Let me say these vampires are the vicious types, almost like animals. And good o'l Abe kills them the the best possible, vicious, fashion. His character is remarkably likeable, and this book tells it like his biography. Most events in the book are historically correct, and this formula of placing a new story in history is very clever. This books reviews are mixed, but I think you should give it a chance. 5/5

DieH@rd

Banned
For me, best book that I've read in 2010 is:

2ist7vs.png

Lies-of-Locke-Lamora.jpg

The Lies of Locke Lamora
Author: Scott Lynch

Fantastic book, set in the fantasy themed midle-aged cariant of city of Venice in witch young thief Locke Lamora and his band of "gentleman thieves" live their life robbing wealthy nobles. During the course of the book Locke steps in the middle of the power struggle between city's ruling class and new and mysterious crime boss "Grey King". Fantastic setting, tons of lore, excellent writing and characters. Its a must! [sequel is also good, and third book will be released on the spring].

Llyranor

I don't think I've actually read a book that came out in 2010 :lol

Non-fiction:

market_garden_boxset_thumb.png

Operation Market-Garden: Then and Now, vol. 1 & 2, by Karel Margry. These are massive massive books (pricey, too), basically comprising the absolute most detailed representation of Market-Garden available. Thousands of photographs (and comparisons to present-day), lots and lots of maps, endless tables on OOBs, details on supply drops for every single area on every single day of the operation, good perspective on both sides of the battle.This was the de-facto reference material I used for my trip to Holland to visit the battlefields this Fall. The pricepoint and amount of detail (it is heavy reading) won't make this a good read for everyone, but if you enjoy reading military history and have a particular interest in Market-Garden, this comes with my top recommendation.

Runner-up:
51rW2f9jCFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Longest Day, by Cornelius Ryan. I really like the author (A Bridge Too Far is probably my favorite book read in 2008), and this book made for pretty easy reading, but it only covers D-Day. I would have liked if it expanded into the whole Normandy campaign, but alas.

Fantasy:
41lJ6VWBW1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The last fantasy book I read was A Storm of Swords, book 3 of GRR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, but that was for 2009. I guess I'm overdue on reading A Feast for Crows. Since it's my favorite fantasy series, this is the obvious pick anyway.

Non-fiction:
51iol3FR8lL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A Time for Trumpets, by Charles B. Macdonald. A completely enthralling narrative of the Battle of the Bulge which does an excellent job of portraying the human aspect and atmosphere of the battle, while still being a historian and remaining objective (despite being a company commander involved in the battle), and having pretty good detail on the military/tactical aspect of it. Good maps, too; made it easy to keep up with what was going on. Very rich in detail.

Fireblend

Banned
Alright here we go :lol I'm considering doing another post for the 2009 selection, but damn, it was a great year for books and I wouldn't be able to choose a favorite, not even partitioning into categories :lol .

Edit: By the way, I really, really want to read The Shadow of the Wind.

--FANTASY--
2ist7vs.png

small

The Sandman: The Doll's House
Author: Neil Gaiman

Review:
Hopefully this counts as a book; if not consider the runner up as my submission. Anyway, I started reading The Sandman's volumes this year and although I can't complain about any of them (by far Gaiman's best works) The Doll's House and its plot stand above the ones I've read so far. A consistent storyline that's bound together by individual subplots that stand well on their own. The fantasy background never overwhelms the reader and the character development throughout the volume is very appreciated.

Runner Up: Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders
Author: Neil Gaiman

--FICTION--
2ist7vs.png

unbearable_kundera_book_cover.jpg

The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Author: Milan Kundera

Review:
At times a love story, at times nostalgic and at times a philosophical manifesto, it's a novel that does an amazing job of keeping the reader entertained with a plot that seems to only be there in order for the narrator to represent the philosophical theme of the novel, all in the backdrop of soviet-occupied Prague. From Wikipedia: Challenging Friedrich Nietzsche’s concept of eternal recurrence (the idea that the universe and its events have already occurred and will recur ad infinitum), the story’s thematic meditations posit the alternative; that each person has only one life to live, and that which occurs in life occurs only once and never again — thus the “lightness” of being.

Runner Up: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

--SCI-FI--
2ist7vs.png

a-canticle-for-leibowitz.jpg

A Canticle for Leibowitz
Author: Walter M. Miller Jr.

Review:
In my opinion a forgotten gem of classic science fiction; and one of GAF's finest recommendations in recent memory. A story that spans centuries from a post apocalyptic world where science has been almost completely forgotten and the remains of the catholic church is the sole and very unlikely guardian of what little remains of it, until civilization is ready for it again.

Runner Up: Rendezvous with Rama
Author: Arthur C. Clarke

--NON-FICTION--
2ist7vs.png

Book-CFI-Dawkins-Greatest-Show-On-Earth.jpg

The Greatest Show On Earth
Author: Richard Dawkins

Review:
After reading books such as Godel, Escher, Bach (Jeff Hofstadter) and Cosmos (Carl Sagan) last year, I was really itching for another non-fiction author that could keep me glued to each page as well as those two did. At the beginning of the year a friend lent me The Selfish Gene and I enjoyed it very much; apparently noticeably enough for me to get this as a birthday present. It's a great book, a joy to read that brilliantly celebrates the workings and wonders of evolution and the human achievements that have made its understanding possible. Every paragraph is as clear as it could be and it leaves no detail out. A great book.

Runner Up: The Double Helix
Author: James D. Watson

Kraftwerk

2ist7vs.png

200px-Hyperion_cover.jpg

HYPERION
Author: Dan Simmons

Hyperion, a true masterwork by Dan Simmons. Set far into humanities future, Hyperion is a tale of 7 people who are chosen to go on a pilgrimage. This journey will take you through many different worlds and time periods, as each individual shares their story. Soon you realize that they are all connected, and this pilgrimage isn't just about them, but its about the fate of the whole universe and the human race. From the Legendary creature The Shrike to time travel, this story has everything. I was just amazed at the sheer detail Dan Simmons goes into when describing each world and individuals tale.
Hyperion is the first of a 4 book series by Dan Simmons. I won't reveal the name of the other 3 as the names are somewhat of spoilers IMO. I'm currently reading the second one which is just as good.

Danielsan

2ist7vs.png

D6tvH.jpg

The Windup Bird Chronicle

Review:
My second Murakami novel, the first being Kafka on the Shore. I recently finished and loved Norwegian Wood as well, but The Windup Bird Chronicle truly solidified Murakami as my favourite living author. His style of writing resonates with me like no other. His characters, their manor-isms, how true their relationships feel and the realism and surrealism of his worlds. It's just something else and it sucks me in completely. The Windup Bird Chronicle seems like the perfect blend of his styles. The relationship issues of the protagonist and his interactions with other characters, combined with the surreal story which slowly goes deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole, easing the reader in as it were. Love it!

Fireblend

Banned
Danielsan said:
The Windup Bird Chronicle
I read this in 2009 and that's why it's not my choice for this year's best, but it's easily among my favorite books, and I agree that Murakami's probably my favorite living author as well. I'm reading Kafka in the Shore right now, and it's just brilliant :D definitely read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World, this man's books are worth every second.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Man, do people on GAF read anything outside of fantasy/Sci-Fi? :lol

Anyways, the best book I read this year was "The Private Life of Chairman Mao".

--OVERALL--
2ist7vs.png

21b6ffd.jpg

A Canticle for Leibowitz
Author: Walter M. Miller Jr.

Review:
One of, if not, the best book I've ever read in the post apocalypse genre. A statement that doesn't come lightly from a P.A. fanatic. Interesting, unique, humorous and thought provoking are just some of the words that can be used to describe this book about how the world carries on after an apocalyptic event. Also, fans of Fallout New Vegas will be able to identify certain references and nods to this science fiction classic.

Runner Ups:
World Made by Hand
The Long Ships

(2009 Book of the Year - The Postman)

--FANTASY--

2u4ps35.jpg

A Game of Thrones
Author: George R.R. Martin

Review:
I went in to this book with my only prior Fantasy genre experience being Lord of the Rings. In my opinion this far surpasses LotR for two reasons - there are several multiple story lines, each as interesting as the rest. Before any one story line gets a chance to stagnate, the focus is switched to another subplot. This keeps the book fresh and fast paced. Also, the intricacies of the politics and power struggles within the kingdom are endlessly entertaining and its a facet that a person in a democratic based government doesn't have time to think of quite often.

Runner Ups:
A Clash of Kings

--FICTION--

10h7uhe.jpg

The Long Ships
Author: Frans Gunnar Bengtsson

Review:
An epic historical adventure to rival The Odyssey. The story of a viking child who joins a plundering raid and through a series of events finds himself rising in ranks in viking society while traveling the world of the late 10th century.

Runner Ups:
The Help

--NON-FICTION--

23wa7th.jpg

A Walk Across America
Author: Peter Jenkins

Review:
A poignant story of a young man trying to find himself as he walks from New England to New Orleans with his dog. Heart warming, touching, and at times makes you wish you could be there at Jenkins side to experience the lesser seen side of rural United States.

Runner Ups:
I Drink For a Reason

--CLUNKERS--

The Glass Castle
Feed
American Gods

Ratrat

D3BUs.png

The City and the City
China Mieville

Reignited my hornyness for China after a boring book called The Iron Council nearly killed me halfway in.
A crime novel with a 1984 degree metaphorical plot about an Inspector Borlus murder investigation in two very strange cities.

Salazar

2ist7vs.png

3Mukh.jpg

The Mortdecai Trilogy
Author: Kyril Bonfiglioli

A collection of three comic crime novels, written by an alcoholic Oxford art-dealer and raconteur (and possibly a spy), in the style of Wodehouse, Chandler, G.M. Fraser, goodness knows who else. The anti-hero, Charlie Mortdecai, is a louche, slightly fat, exceptionally endearing bastard with a manservant thug called Jock. Awful things happen to him. The books are, from sentence to sentence, some of the most stylish and humorous and learned prose of the 20th century. Utterly fucking hilarious. I have reread this collection several times and it keeps getting better.

BruceLeeRoy said:
That's a fantastic list. I have been curious about Long Ships for a while now. Definitely going to pick that up.
Thank you. And I highly recommend picking up The Long Ships. When I was finished I gave it to my dad - a guy that has little to no patience for books and gives up on them rather easily - and even he loved it. He still talks about it and occasionally asks me if I've been reading anything else thats as good as it.

And props to the fella right above me (Salazar) for being the person to clue me in on it. :D

Maklershed said:
Thank you. And I highly recommend picking up The Long Ships. When I was finished I gave it to my dad - a guy that has little to no patience for books and gives up on them rather easily - and even he loved it. He still talks about it and occasionally asks me if I've been reading anything else thats as good as it.

And props to the fella right above me (Salazar) for being the person to clue me in on it. :D

It sounds right up my alley. I was going to start reading some of the Halo novels(I know I know dont judge me) but I feel like jumping on this.

Xater

SoulPlaya said:
Man, do people on GAF read anything outside of fantasy/Sci-Fi? :lol

Absolutely. It's just that those probably are the favorite genres. I also read the whole Millenium trilogy this year among other things. If it wasn't for Norwegian Wood I think one of those books would have made the list. Brilliant thrillers.

And I know you ar enot supposed to know this stuff, but I am getting the Long Ships for Christmas. :lol

Erasus

I´ll check some of those book out, maybe make a list of my own. Hope I can get some in Sweden, hopefully not translated or with good translation.

2ist7vs.png
2ist7vs.png

2010: The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes
2009: 2666 by Roberto Bolano

0684813785.jpg

"The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes can put a lot of people off before they even pick up the book. And then, once they start reading it, can easily dissuade them to ever scan its pages again. I should admit that this is my second time reading it, but that nothing else I read this year compared to it. 900+ pages provide a narrative that combines these focal points: the history surrounding the atom from its conceptual stage to its manipulation, the histories and personalities of everyone involved, and the world's dynamic as its borders and governments shifted around them. If you like history, science, dramas, the themes of human progress, change, invention, and want an understanding of a technology that forever changed lives and time, you should do yourself the favor and read this book. And yes, it won a Pulitzer. I'm going to steal one of the quotes of praise from the six listed Nobel Laureates; it really does justice to the book:

"The great figures of the age, scientific, military, and political, come to life when confronted with the fateful and awesome decisions which face them in this agonizing century. This great book dealing with the most profound problems of the 20th century can help us to apprehend the opportunities and pitfalls that face the world in the 21st" - I. I. Rabi

Recommended for
: those who enjoy history, a much more technical novel than "Devil in the White City" but with the same idea of multiple narratives centered around the same themes.

bolano-2666-novel-194x300.jpg

"2666" by Roberto Bolano also disenchants casual readers. Not only its style (another 900 pages of prose that focuses on every detail under the sun pertaining to is characters, split up across five sections, referencing each other in the minute-est of ways) but is content is... divisive. Imagine five different sets of stories that draw closer and closer to a fictional town in southern Mexico, where some three-hundred women between the ages of 14 and 30 have been raped and killed, with what appears little to no effort. And the section in the middle (aptly named "The One about the Crimes) is that town's story. Each one has its meaning I believe, but at their core (in my opinion) it's an observation of this world's unforgiving effects on the lives of individuals. A novel that depicts the times we've lived and live in with a mirror, and how Bolano's fictional observers respond, if at all. A very dark and calculating novel. But of course, he shows the pleasures and pains of it.

Recommended for: People who read Cormac McCarthy, and wish he was more like Borges sometimes.

Fiction
2010: The Sandman by Niel Gaiman and *
2009: The Ugly American by Eugene Burdick

sandman_morpheus.jpg

The Sandman Volumes 1-10 by Neil Gaiman and others was ignored by me for a long time. It's a graphic novel. But Gaiman's talents as a writer are apparent in plenty of mediums, and I decided to read it. To be totally honest, it reminded me how much I love stories and what they mean. If you like David Lynch's obsessions with dreams and love fables from all centuries, just read it. Or I don't know how to describe it. The series encompasses a lot of themes (pretty much all of them) and it's overall arc of.... acknowledging the role that choice plays in life is perfect. Figuratively, anyways. But I think it's perfect.

the-ugly-american-book-cover.jpg

The Ugly American is a collection of short stories based in quasi-fiction. Here's its description from the publisher, since it's so succinct: "The multi-million-copy bestseller that coined the phrase for tragic American blunders abroad. First published in 1958, The Ugly American became a runaway national bestseller for its slashing expos of American arrogance, incompetence, and corruption in Southeast Asia. Based on fact, the book's eye-opening stories and sketches drew a devastating picture of how the United States was losing the struggle with Communism in Asia." It's a great view into what a "hearts and minds" campaign breeds. Cough.

Non-Fiction
2010: -----
2009: Gomorrah by Roberto Saviano

0312427794_Gomorrah.jpg

Gomorrah by Roberto Saviano shows how the mafia evolved, and how corruption and greed never change. In particular, it describes the tactics used to generate and maintain so much power. Lots of torture, lots of indiscriminate killing, lots of inhumanity. City of God in Italy.

Empty

2ist7vs.png

ficciones.jpg

ficciones is a collection of seventeen short stories written by 20th century argentinian writer jorge luis borges. borges has great range, in both genre and style, and a wonderful imagination. the latter being the most impressive part of the stories, with his magical realism works being my favourites. each of those creating this very alluring, mystical atmosphere that is a joy to get a taste of and stirs up wonder in the reader at every turn. the collection runs the gamut from borges reveling in his own love of literature by inventing fake books and fiction writers that he fake reviews; to quick bursts of these very inventive fantastical worlds or concepts with real meaning behind them (symbolic, or philosophical); to a very simple legend style story with a clever twist and great execution; to a spin on the classic detective story mocking the genre a bit while still being great fun to read; there is a lot of different stuff to chew on in it. the (translation of the) prose is mostly quite economical and unflashy, a little surprisingly i guess given the amazing mileage he gets out of it, but it means the stories progress at a steady canter; mostly it's functional and allows the stories to speak loudest, which is fine. the most impressive part of the form is not the style of the writing, but the way he gets so much out of an idea or ideas whether in a new world, narrative concept, style or magical device; all things that could easily be made into a full novel, yet with great restraint he manages to finish mining the idea at the perfect moment, meaning nearly each one feels artfully crafted and perfectly formed, yet never too long nor too short; just right. then you are on to the next brilliant piece. he just gets the short story so well.

2009 book of the year: slaugherhouse v by kurt vonnegut.

2ist7vs.png

24dq3nk.jpg

Title: Under The Dome
Author: Stephen King
Review: Sorry I have to keep my review short, but I want to put in my two cents. I was never a big fan of Stephen King, but this has made me a believer. Mysterious dome mysteriously falls over a small town in Maine. No one can get out. Crazy shit happens. A whole host of awesome characters. This book will inevitably will be made into a movie or TV series.

Runner Up:

Title: Shadow of the Wind
Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafon

2j1ws1s.jpg

ultron87

2ist7vs.png

Anathem.png

Anathem
Author: Neal Stephenson

Review: Anathem is set on an alternate earth where scientists, philosophers, and logicians withdraw from the world into monastery like sanctuaries where they are separated from the rest of the world for many years at a time. The world building on display here is simply astounding. Throughout the novel, Stephenson slowly introduces the reader to the intellectual history of an entire world.

With this backdrop in place, the author tells a tale of a young intellectual returning to the world after 10 years of isolation from it. But that is only the start, as situations slowly escalate until the fate of worlds is being decided.

If you disliked the long seemingly tangential discussions of Sumerian linguistics and other such minutia in Stephenson's novel Snow Crash, this probably isn't the book for you. If you find such discussions quite interesting and have an interest in logic, philosophy, or parallel universes, I'd highly suggest Anathem.

BruceLeeRoy said:
What's the deal withthe Shadow of the Wind?
Awesome suspense novel. Set in Spain. Guy works in bookstore for his father. Discovers novel by an author of the name of Carax and gets attached to the writer's works. Guy soon he gets wrapped up in a mystery surrounding this author's death years ago. All the while there is a disfigured man who has been burning every copy he can find of Carax's novels while the bookstore's son tries to figure out what happened to the author.

This is an awesome idea. I will likely be grabbing my next read from this thread. Gaf has only led me astray once
Best Served Cold, just couldn't get into it.
Every thing else has been really enjoyable.

Captain Blood said:
This is an awesome idea. I will likely be grabbing my next read from this thread. Gaf has only led me astray once
Best Served Cold, just couldn't get into it.
Every thing else has been really enjoyable.

You read the the trilogy 1st, right?

Cerebral Assassin said:
You read the the trilogy 1st, right?
I actually did not.... was that a mistake? lol I was under the impression aside from the appearence of minor characters there wasn't a lot of correlation.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I don't normally read fantasy

Sci Fi, I have been reading the culture novels, and Use of Weapons really resonated with me.

In general fiction, I would like to nominate "Dark Property" by Brian Evenson

Captain Blood said:
I actually did not.... was that a mistake? lol I was under the impression aside from the appearence of minor characters there wasn't a lot of correlation.

I've only read the trilogy, so I can't really say :lol , I just couldn't see how he would have changed his style so much.

2ist7vs.png

140006640901LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Super Sad True Love Story
Author: Gary Shteyngart

Review:
A great, near-future literary SF novel that deals with a man's struggle with his mortality and waning importance in the world. The protagonist, Leonard Abramov, is part of a dying breed: people who own books, who talk face to face, and who can remember a time when the world wasn't so insane. Fair warning: a good chunk of the narrative comes from the perspective of (specifically the IM logs of) a teenage girl, part of the new generation that our hero is rapidly losing relevance to. But it works. And it's not as horrible as it might sound. Shteyngart pulls it off exceptionally well, and those chapters thematically mesh perfectly with the rest of the narrative. Those chapters are never a chore.

A lot of it really was super sad, and it had the effect at times of making me feel like an old man at 21 ("those damn kids and their cell phones and their internets!", that kind of thing). But I'm pretty sure that was the desired effect. And, certainly, as a book lover it pains me to think of a world where only a few rare souls own or even read books, instead opting to scan texts for relevant data. Throughout, I found myself sympathizing whole-heartedly with poor Lenny Abramov.

Runners Up:
Machine of Death
Author: Ryan North, David Malki !, many others

Dead Beat
Author: Jim Butcher

- FICTION -
2ist7vs.png

The Long Ships
Author: Frans Gunnar Bengtsson

9781590173466.jpg

The Long Ships tells the life story of Viking chieftain Red Orm - from being captured by slavers as a young boy, to serving as a mercenary in distant lands and eventually returning home as a chieftain in his own right, only to face more tribulations, The Long Ships is a masterful work of adventure, intrigue and compelling characters. While the story jumps forward between the important events in Orm's life, it's the depth of Bengtsson's characters and the world he so vividly describes that kept this reader intrigued throughout. A wonderful novel that I will undoubtedly return to again and again, and I probably would never have discovered if not for Salazar's recommendation (thanks dude).

Runner Up;
Under Heaven
Author: Guy Gavriel Kay
A deep and absorbing historical novel set in 9th century China.

- FANTASY -
2ist7vs.png

I Shall Wear Midnight
Author: Terry Pratchett

i-shall-wear-midnight.jpg

Despite being written for a young adult audience, the 'Tiffany Aching' arc of Terry Pratchett's Discworld universe has always been as compelling, hilarious and enjoyable as any other Discworld novel, and I'm pleased to say that 'I Shall Wear Midnight' is no exception. The four books released in this arc so far can be regarded as the coming of age of fledgling witch Tiffany, and that is one of the themes most present in 'I Shall Wear Midnight' as young Ms. Aching struggles to cope with the realities and responsibilities of her station. Things start off rather slowly, but in true Pratchett fashion the story is soon moving at a page-turning pace and I personally couldn't put this book down until I'd finished it. Pratchett is a true master of storytelling and, as evidenced well in this latest entry to the Discworld series, is a master of character also.

- SCIENCE FICTION -
2ist7vs.png

The Black Lung Captain: A Tale of the Ketty Jay
Author: Chris Wooding

TheBlackLungCaptain.jpg

Last years 'Retribution Falls' was a surprise hit for me - it harked back to the gritty sci-fi and fantasy I read as a child in the 80's, in that it tells a great adventure, without getting bogged down in the semantics of the genre. The second novel in a series is always the most telling in regards to a series overall longevity, and thankfully 'The Black Lung Captain' does not disappoint, offering the same blend of action and character that made the original such an enjoyable read. Wonderfully paced, Wooding makes time for every one of his rag-tag assemble of characters, while keeping the action and intrigue thundering along through his unique and expertly crafted sci-fi/fantasy world of airships, pirates and the living dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom