• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
iam220 said:
not saying any of this NEEDS to be done, but maybe something to consider for next year to help smooth things along.

We're still getting all that data... I just looked at the results from the parser. It's just a lot easier to manage if people can just use the semicolon, as we're compiling people's thoughts on the games as well and we're hoping to keep those separate.

The name differences are still being picked up, but keeping with the format just helps with compatibility. But I'm not nearly as concerned about that, and though it helps if people use the correct names, it's not a massive issue.

jarosh

timetokill said:
Calm down, I included AC2 for PC in the games list, (listed as "Assassin's Creed 2 (PC)") at least for now, and will be clarifying this rule going forward.

Edit: that list looks much more manageable, ICallItFutile :D I'll just start sending out PMs about it, probably starting tomorrow.
thanks, hun. all i have to do is type up a self-righteous rant and i'll get my way. excellent. :p

Mr Jared

1. Bayonetta
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Super Street Fighter IV
4. Halo: Reach
5. Alan Wake
6. Dance Central
7. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
8. Alpha Protocol
9. DJ Hero 2
10. Limbo

iam220

timetokill said:
We're still getting all that data... I just looked at the results from the parser. It's just a lot easier to manage if people can just use the semicolon, aswe're compiling people's thoughts on the games as well and we're hoping to keep those separate.

ah, makes sense.

jarosh said:
thanks, hun. all i have to do is type up a self-righteous rant and i'll get my way. excellent. :p

Ha, well, it's at least making me add a rule or make that particular situation clearer.
But don't push it :p

Haunted

jarosh said:
I clarified this stuff with timetokill via PM before you even posted that rant, don't get so full of yourself. ;)

Feorax

GOTY 2010

1. Halo Reach: Did everything I wanted it to and more. Noble Map Pack only sweetens the deal.
2. Mass Effect 2: Only just finished this, so im still on a bit of a high. Awesome game, shame a couple of the DLC packs were a little lackluster.
3. Heavy Rain: Most unique experience I had with a game all year, lots of fun
4. Blazblue Continuum Shift: Just when I thought SF would consume my soul, this series put its claws into me. Although...
5. Super SF IV: Is still amazing
6. Demons souls (EU release): Not very far in, but still love it. think I have my "long haul" game sorted
7. Deadly Premonition: I should hate this game by all accounts, but it just works for me...
8. Pac Man CE DX: Pure oldschool fun. Love it.
9. NFS Hot Pursuit: <3 Criterion, they didnt let me down. Cant wait to see how their experiences from this move into Burnout
10. Civilization V: Love Civ, love Civ V. Need to spend more time with this over Christmas.

Honorables
x. Final Fantasy XIII: Circumstance and bad luck burnt me out on this one, but one day I do hope to give it another go. Also, feels wrong not having an FF game on here.
x. COD: Black Ops: My Patience with the series is wearing thin, but I can still recognize that Treyarch did a pretty good job with this one.

oktarb

1. Red Dead Redemption ; An emotionally invoking game that kept me glued to the controller. By far one of the most immersive games out this year. Few to no flaws, numerous achievements in excellence.

2. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; Shows us that being a bad ass can be done with style. And if you don't agree the Left Bumper on you.

3. Demon's Souls (PAL) ; Yes mistress. Whatever you command. I am your bitch and I love you.

4. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 – Chaos Rising ; Blood For The Blood God! Pick you battles, hear the heavy bolter peeling off thunderous rounds and then upgrade your units. Warhammer at its best.

5. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; Polished to a godly sheen. Great story, proven controls and excellent graphically. My only let down was the last of multiple races.

6. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ; Ashamed to list it but I had too much fun not too. The new content is fun and refreshing and had me glued to my desk every day after work for 2 weeks.

7. Halo: Reach ; The pinnacle of the Halo series. Too much to done right to quibble about any flaws. If you want a serious FPS then you must be playing this.

8. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; Where Halo shines with polish, bad company tosses dirt in your face and crotch kicks you. Between these two game I have my shooty, blow you up fix covered.

9. Heavy Rain ; I want my thumb back. I can feel the ghostly itch to this day.

10. Darksiders ; No other game made to hopeful for a sequel as much as this one. Fun, clean and addictive - all the right elements for a game being just that - a game.

x. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; Some much done right and for a decent price. Just drop the timed challenges.

x. Transformers: War for Cybertron ; A really fun game with a unique look at multiplayer. Some really devs put in some real thought and it shows.

Biff

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; Never played SC1. Decided to try SC2 out of shear hype from all my friends. Mind. Blown. I can't believe I missed out on SC1...
2. Gran Turismo 5 ; In terms of content/bang-for-buck, GT5 is unmatched. Karting simulator is awesome. Why isn't this my #1 game? Because I continue to play SC2 over it despite GT5's freshness.
3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; Hands down the best FPS this year. The sound is so so so so so so so so good. Dice has some serious talent over there. Retain them for Battlefield 3, please. It will be my GOTY when it comes out
in 2013.
4. Heavy Rain ; Big props for the creativity. Gameplay worked, and it worked well. I'm not sure if it gains or loses a rank for the 'Press X to JAA-SSONN!' scene.
5. Infinity Blade ; Unbelievable achievement. For the first time, I am convinced that cell phone gaming has arrived. And at $6? I said gawtdamn!
6. Dead Nation ; Another solid PSN game from the brilliant minds at Housemarque. While not as good as Super Stardust HD, it's still pretty damn good.
7. God of War 3 ; Polished, fun game with ZOMG graphics. Unfortunately, just a bit too familiar from the previous entries for my taste.
8. Game Dev Story ; Addictive and fun. Great bang for buck.
9. Bayonetta ; Loved what they tried to do here, but since I played it on PS3, my experience was severely gimped. The fact that it's still on my GOTY list despite the technical issues really shows how amazing the gameplay is.

x. Call of Duty: Black Ops ; Only on my honourable mentions list because, despite the disgrace that is Treyarch, I have to admit I'm having fun playing with friends. But the other 50% of the time, I'm slamming my controller into the wall because the netcode is pure shit and makes the game largely unplayable. Fuck you Treyarch - you're not getting a vote from me.

1. Halo: Reach
2. Super Meat Boy
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Kinect Sports
5. Limbo
6. Dance Central
7. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
8. Alan Wake
9. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
10. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Beernf

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Final Fantasy 13
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
5. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
6. Just Cause 2
7. Red Dead Redemption
8. Shank
9. Valkyria Chronicles 2
10. Darksiders

ManeKast

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Fresher than anything in 2010.
2. Mass Effect 2 ; Stunning.
3. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit ; Turbo arcade perfection.
4. Halo: Reach ; The perfect console FPS.
5. Limbo ; Thinking out of the box full of creep.
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; Gorgeous return to 2D platforming form.
7. Just Cause 2 ; Just awesome fun.
8. Sonic Colours ; Most fun I have had with Sonic since the 90s.
9. Darksiders ; Please make a sequel.
10. God of War III ; Glorious.
x. Deadly Premonition ; Best horror game of 2010.
x. Two Worlds II ; Actually a pretty good RPG, hilarious to boot.

botticus

I... only played 11 games released in 2010 this year. Easy listing!

1. Monster Hunter 3: Tri
2. Etrian Odyssey 3: The Drowned City
3. Trauma Team
4. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
5. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
6. Infinite Space
7. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
8. The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces

keuja

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. Heavy Rain
4. God of War 3
5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
6. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
7. Vanquish
8. MAG
9. Yakuza 3
10. Just Cause 2

I haven't played RDR sadly, I'm still hoping for a PC version. I was quite disappointed by ME2.

Seems like this year's vote is going to be a little bit more dramatic than last year. I'm seeing AC, RDR, Halo, Starcraft, GT and other games at #1.

Last year, it was UNCHARTED UNCHARTED UNCHARTED SOMETHINGRANDOM UNCHARTED UNCHARTED RAWR etc.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
1. Bayonetta
2. Darksiders
3. Just Cause 2
4. Vanquish
5. Alan Wake
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Game Dev Story
8. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor
9. Heavy Rain
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Tain

I was going to order, write up reasons, and post my GOTY list in here tonight, but I forgot that a contender is coming out on the 24th!

THE FOURTH IS THE FORCE

Majora

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Alan Wake
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (PAL)
5. Super Meat Boy
6. Dead Rising 2
7. Bioshock 2
8. The Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom
9. Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light
10. Dance Central

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Persona 3 Portable
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
6. Super Meat Boy
7. Super Street Fighter IV
8. Vanquish
9. Transformers: War for Cybertron
10. NHL 11

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Just gonna put descriptions for a few where a commentary strikes me:

Games of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2

2. Dead Rising 2 ; A rarity in game development, the devs looked at complaints with the first and were able to actually discern which a) were made by people with legitimate complaints and whose resolution would benefit the franchise, and which b) were made by crying babies who wanted their hands held at the expense of everything that gives the franchise an identity. (The #1 pick on this list could have been a lot better were similar distinctions better employed, ironically)

3. Persona 3 Portable
4. Bayonetta
5. Battlefield Bad Company 2
6. Super Street Fighter 4

7. Transformers: War for Cybertron ; The campaign was good fun for any TF geek (especially in co-op with 2 other TF geeks), but the star of this package was, surprisingly, the online multiplayer. Really great class-based TPS. Conquest mode in particular is a barrel of fun, the breakneck pace of whizzing around the map alternating between robot and vehicle to take/defend points like they were spinning plates is something entirely unique to this game; It's somewhat like what Battlefield would be if the crucial flaw of people camping for vehicles and then promptly driving them off a cliff was taken out of the equation. Only faster, much faster.

8. Super Meat Boy
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2

10. Pinball FX2 ; Zen's table design has come a long way since the original, and the improved community integration really makes for some heated score battles. The a la carte platform model is an inspired direction to take.

Honorable Mentions:

x. Monday Night Combat ; I can't get enough of this game and it definitely would have made the list by virtue of 'hours played', but the broken nature of Juice keeps it from greatness. Just taking the stations where you can buy Juice out altogether would make it so, so much better, outplaying the other team all match only to have them 'Juice Rush' your base in overtime is so shitty.

x. Darksiders ; Does Zelda better than Zelda has in a while, or at least more attention-grabbingly. The design of War is unquestionably generic, but I thought pretty much everything else was well-realized; not exactly unique in theme, but at least stylistically fun to look at. Everyone dug Battle Chasers and Mad's PSM covers back in the day, put yourself back in that time and stop acting like such prissy little art bitches.

x. Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip
x. Patchwork Heroes
x. Pac-Man CE DX
x. Just Cause 2
x. Cave Story WiiWare
x. Picross 3D

Dishonorable Mentions:

Red Dead Redemption ; I'll give this props for an amazing-looking world, much-improved-over-GTA gunplay, a great main character, and good writing dialogue-wise (NOT STORY-WISE; there is a huge distinction to be made there), but man, so so overrated. Any threat I had of liking any of the characters past Armadillo was extinguished by making me do missions for the same couple people a dozen times in a row to progress (to unlock the next two people I'd have to do a dozen missions for to progress, etc., etc.). Calling R* games "open world" is such a joke, the progression is linear as fuck.

Nier ; I fully appreciate the amazing soundtrack and I love a lot of the world design, but structurally I don't see how anyone can be so enamored with it unless your dream videogame has always been Fetch Quest: The Game.

Halo Reach, CODBLOPS, God of War III ; Eh, they're decent and they're steps up relative to previous entries in some ways, but I've just seen what these games are offering me one too many times.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; Mm, let's make the bosses have the exact same HP in solo mode that they do in 4p co-op. Pelting things with rockets for 45 minutes at a time should be great fun for the player. FUCK YOU

Didn't play, might be contenders when I do: Sin & Punishment 2 (it's on its way), Fallout New Vegas, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Valkyria Chronicles II, Ys VII/ Oath, Resonance of Fate

Budr

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Final Fantasy 13
3. God of War 3
4. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
5. Heavy Rain
6. Singularity
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops
8. Aliens vs. Predator
9. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
10. Costume Quest

1. Super Meat Boy ; The most fun I've had with a platformer since the original Super Mario World. It takes everything I loved about N+ (tough-as-nails difficulty. bite-sized levels, innumerable stages, perfect learning curve, free DLC, etc.) and adds an amazing soundtrack, a darling aesthetic, a wonderful sense of humor, and -- most of all -- pitch-perfect controls. Unlocking some of my favorite indie characters to play as was just the cherry on top. Getting 100% in this game stands as one my favorite gaming experiences and achievements, and I loved every masochistic minute. It's my No. 1 with a bullet.

2. Red Dead Redemption ; I've soured on this game in recent months, but I attribute this to just PLAYING THE LIVING HELL OUT OF THIS GAME for a solid month or two, which, certainly, can only be a compliment. I consider this to be the perfection of the Rockstar's GTA formula: The rock-solid storytelling we know and love is finally paired with an era and environment that fit the technology and gameplay mechanics. From the moment you unknowingly shoot your first rabbit and begin the hunting challenges, to stopping to pick up your jaw and simply soak in a breathtaking thunderstorm, there was no more immersive experience in 2010.

3. Mass Effect 2 ; Yes, many of the RPG hooks that I loved about the first Mass Effect are missing, but what Bioware added to the formula more than made up for that loss. The squad-based combat was more fluid than ever before, the quests were almost across-the-board epic to the point that even the tertiary ones could stand in as the set pieces for many other games, and the team-building storyline struck a surprising chord. Carrying over your character was done beautifully and thrust you immediately back into the world -- something I've never experienced in a video game. Here's hoping Bioware can carry this momentum into ME3 ...

4. Rock Band 3 ; Music games, run for the hills -- aside from completely reinventing the wheel, Harmonix perfected them with this most recent (and final?) installment. You want improved presentation, navigation, and sorting options? Easy. You want a free-form career mode that doesn't block off content and integrates seamlessly with DLC? Done. In-game achievements and challenges that have real rewards and will keep you coming back for months? BAM. Or (and this is the where Harmonix really overdid it) maybe you're tired of music games and are looking for a bigger challenge or a way to transition to actual instruments? Try Pro mode, biotch. I still haven't even tried the keyboard peripheral yet, but with the continuing (and increasingly awesome) stream of DLC and RBN songs, this is a game that will forever be rotating in and out of my console.

5. Darksiders ; "Boo-hoo, it's just Zelda with a different skin on it!" Maybe so, but how many game companies have ever gotten that formula down correctly -- and on their first try, no less? Hell, if this game HAD the Zelda name attached to it, fanboys everywhere would've been slobbering over themselves to name this The Second Coming. As it stands, it's what I've been waiting for since I played Ocarina of Time: a re-invigoration of the formula and with a theme that doesn't make me wretch from the level of cute involved. Sure, being a big fan of Joe Madeuria's art doesn't hurt, and seeing his artistic vision brought to life certainly helps to explain my adoration of the game, but the interesting story, solid combat and weapon/ability progression, along with a knack for awesome set-piece action seals the deal, as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps the most underrated game of the year and one everyone who's ever enjoyed a Zelda game (and isn't still wearing diapers) should try out.

6. Blur ; Bizarre took a winning formula, made it relevant to a new generation, and dressed it up with an amazing presentation with all the features and gameplay options you could ask for. This was the first game since Geometry Wars 2 that the built-in friend challenges and leaderboards kept me endlessly chasing times and scores. And while I don't typically play multiplayer games online, a CoD-type progression and perk system, solid party system, and a good selection of modes meant I was hooked from the moment I tried the demo. Its financial failings mean we're unlikely to see a continuation of the series, which makes this another strong candidate for underrated game of the year.

7. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; I was one of the many who expected this AC entry to be solely a multiplayer addition to the series; what a wonderful surprise to discover how wrong I was (and how horrible of a job Ubisoft marketing did to dispell this misconception). While at first I was worried about the game being limited to "just" Rome, I quickly realized that not only was the environment perfectly crafted, but that they'd actually been able to improve upon everything AC2 did so well -- and in only a year's time. Now, everything Ezio does has a purpose, from collecting flags and treasures to purchasing shops and re-building landmarks. Much has been made, too, of the contracts/assassin's guild additions, and for good reason: Aside from introducing a welcome (if not required) level of micromanaging, you're rewarded with an extra layer of badassery that, while perhaps overpowered, provides you many more options when confronted with a mission. On top of all this, while I don't play multiplayer games much, I look forward to seeing the fresh and original modes created here implemented in other games in the future.

8. Carcassonne ; It's the Carcassonne we all have played to death, but with one critical update: It's now on your iPhone, with you wherever you go, and with the best online multiplayer yet seen on the platform. Without exaggeration, this simple game became not only a crippling addiction for my friends and family, but also our de facto method of communication for months. If GOTY were determined by time spent, this would win, hands-down. If all board games took their cues from Carcassonne when building out their iPhone translations, my productivity would come to a standstill.

9. VVVVVV ; Take old-school graphics, solid platforming, a (unbelievably) new and simple mechanic, forgiving-yet-brutal difficulty, Metroidvania-style exploration and a to-die-for soundtrack and you've got yourself a formula for an amazing game. Pull it off flawlessly and sell it for dirt cheap? You're destined for many a top 10.

10. Limbo ; Beautiful, understated, inventive, haunting, and challenging; Limbo is all of these. Blending storytelling and gameplay, as well as pushing the 2D platformer beyond its simple trappings, Limbo's only real flaw is that it came out after Braid. Many will remember the game for its enthralling aesthetic, but the mental aerobics it requires and the clever mechanics it throws at players are worth an equal mention. An abrupt ending holds Limbo back from being higher on my list, but it will be a game I return to regularly.

Honorable mention:
Alan Wake
Bioshock 2
FIFA 11
Heavy Rain
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
Super Scribblenauts

Biggest Disappointment (tie):
Final Fantasy XIII
Crackdown 2

Yet to play, but may eventually make the cut:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Bayonetta
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
Vanquish

Shig, please don't post dishonorable mentions with XX., as we won't be tracking them and others have used that to list honorable mentions.

As far as the title variations and comment delimeter go, I'm a bit surprised there's been so much failure to read, or plain non-compliance. That said, the parser is a work in progress and I'll try some things like regular expressions. For now, the prescribed format is still requested.

TwiztidElf

1. Starcraft 2
2. Bayonetta
3. Dead Rising 2
4. Pinball FX2
5. Blur
6. God of War 3
7. Super Street Fighter IV
8. Demon's Souls
9. Mass Effect 2
10. Gran Turismo 5

HM's: Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy XIII, Dragon Quest 9, Pokemon Heart Gold, Risk Factions, Sonic Colours, Vanquish.

WOW. What a year.

Boney

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Shig, please don't post dishonorable mentions with XX., as we won't be tracking them and others have used that to list honorable mentions.

As far as the title variations and comment delimeter go, I'm a bit surprised there's been so much failure to read, or plain non-compliance. That said, the parser is a work in progress and I'll try some things like regular expressions. For now, the prescribed format is still requested.
So honorable mentions are tracked?

What's the point of a top 10 then. That's big enough.

Boney said:
So honorable mentions are tracked?

What's the point of a top 10 then. That's big enough.

The top 10 all get points that apply to the comprehensive ranking. Honorable mentions get no points, but some people like listing them and it might be interesting to see which titles get the most mentions.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Heavy Rain
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns
4. Final Fantasy 13
5. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
6. Fable 3
7. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
8. God of War 3
9. Bioshock 2
10. Alan Wake

I wasn't going to make a list for this year since there are way too many great games this year. Some are in my backlog (Fallout: NV and Dead Rising 2 for example), some are on my pricedrop list (like Enslaved, Prof. Layton 3 and AC: Brotherhood) and some games simply didn't make the list this year but would have in previous years (like Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions and Halo Reach). What an awesome year for consoles...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess I'm the only one who voted for Star Ocean 4 International. :(

swoon

1. Vanquish
2. Heavy Rain
3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
4. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes
7. Yakuza 3
8. Professor Layton & the Unwound Future
9. Patchwork Heroes
10. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

x. Flotilla: Orbital Battleship Maneuvers
x. God of War 3

Zomba13

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; The best 3D platformer ever and reason enough to own a Wii.
2. Mass Effect 2 ; A fantastic sequel that may not have had the greatest plot but had awesome characters, streamlined and improved gameplay and some awesome DLC missions.
3. Bayonetta ; Best action/DMC style game I've played. Even better than DMC3:SE. So much fun and dripping with style.
4. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep ; Best KH gameplay. I'm a huge KH fan and this did not disappoint. So many cool moments, story and gameplay. As always it's a bit cheesy but that's part of the KH's charm.
5. Assassin's Creed 2 (PC) ; If I had played Brotherhood it'd probably be here instead but I'm waiting on the PC version (again). AC2 does everything AC1 did but bigger and better, and I loved AC1.
6. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; Mostly for the multiplayer. Great fun playing with a friend
7. Metro 2033 ; Bought this in the Steam Treasure hunt sale and finished it earlier. The most recent completion of this list but that hasn't clouded my judgement. It was so atmospheric and creepy in parts, looked and sounded great too. Part of the reason for being on this list was the ability it had to make me really creeped out alone, but brave enough to face the monsters of the metro when I had an NPC partner around. I really want to check out the book now (maybe because of the blatant in game advertising) and I'm looking forward to Metro 2034.
8. Alpha Protocol ; A very under-rated game. Most seem to think this was a buggy, horrible mess and that is just not the case, at least if you played the PC version. It's like Mass Effect but set on Earth with a cast of spies. It would have been a lot better with a bit more time spent on it and some more polish but it was a very enjoyable game that let you play through in a variety of different ways (I prefer stealthy with an attitude like Bond)
9. Demon's Souls (PAL) ; I'm cheating with this. I imported the NA version of this earlier this year. A great, atmospheric and challenging action RPG that was amazing fun to play through.
10. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ; Kinda cheating with this as my first (proper) experience with WoW was this year so I'm grouping all of WoW with this., shortly before the shattering and cataclysm. A great MMO with lots of things to see and do.
*. Vanquish ; Would have made the list but I felt WoW deserved the last spot due to being my new addiction. Vanquish has just as much style as Bayonetta and it's so much fun powersliding around on rocket legs in slow motion blasting Russian robots.
*. Halo: Reach ; I had quite a bit of fun with this. Good campaign and good multiplayer but I just lost steam on it and even though they tried to build up the players feelings for Noble team I still felt nothing for them, except Jorge but that was mostly because I liked his voice and he was big.
*. Cut the Rope ; a stupidly addicting iPhone game. Forget Angry Birds (silly catapult games) this is where the quick iPhone fun is.
*. Game Dev Story ; And this is where the long iPhone fun is. You can sink hours into it and not even notice. I spent so long trying to get ZombaTech's first console built by making my own hardware engineer (Mister X). It was worth it though. The Zombox is the best selling console at the moment with classic games like Daemon Solus 8, Dungeon Sword 7 and CaSIMnova x2 online.
*. Super Meat Boy ; This also would have made my list but I feel the other games were just more deserving because I spent longer on them. Fantastic game though and one of the best 2D platformers this year.
*. Dead Rising 2 ; DR1 was the reason I got a 360 but I never made it through (stupid Bomb mission =/) DR2 was just so much fun though and I think the crafting system was a good trade for the photography. Would have been nice to have them both though.
*. Sonic Colors ; Best 3D Sonic game yet. Not good enough for my top 10 but deserves a mention due to just how much Sonic has improved.

Worst/Most dissapointing
Final Fantasy 14. Just urgh =/ Was my most anticipated title this year, a sequel to FFXI he best MMO ever (imo). Sadly it was a rushed mess witth too many problems to list. At least they made it free to play until they get their shit together.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow. I got it because it was cheap and I kinda like games that i's trying to be (I mean I liked Dante's Inferno and that was a GoW rip off). I didn't like this though. I just got bored. Robert Carlyle and Patrick Stewart were good though, mainly because I like them.

adversesolutions said:
7. Deathsmiles 2X; 360 CAVE

(Screenshot via Cave-STG)

Another CAVE game that met with a lukewarm reception, Deathsmiles IIX is actually one of the most accessible and fun shooters in the company's catalog. Basically clearable by anyone even of beginner skill, the game also offers a decently deep scoring challenge that is a lot of fun.

No better review of this game is available than top player EOJ's to-the-point defense of it here:
http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=227

I enjoyed X mode more than anything else, myself.

This is the reason I haven't posted my list yet. I'll be getting DS2X for Christmas (how festive!) and I'm almost certain it will make my top 10, since I love the original game. The scoring system sounds like it's been improved nicely in the sequel.
too bad the same can't be said about the art and graphics ;)

PS. No love for the Ketsui port? :(

Bento

1. Etrian Odyssey 3 ;
2. Shin Megami Tensei : Strange Journey ;
3. Fallout : New Vegas ;
4. Final Fantasy : Four Warriors of Light ;
5. Starcraft II ;
6. Dragon Quest 9 ;
7. Mass Effect 2 ;
8. Cladun : This is an RPG ;
9. World of Warcraft : Cataclysm ;
10. Z.H.P : The Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman ;

Will add comments later on.

Tain

iconoclast said:
This is the reason I haven't posted my list yet. I'll be getting DS2X for Christmas (how festive!) and I'm almost certain it will make my top 10, since I love the original game. The scoring system sounds like it's been improved nicely in the sequel.
too bad the same can't be said about the art and graphics ;)

PS. No love for the Ketsui port? :(

Ketsui will be very, very high on my list, I think.

just waiting on VO:Force to post it omg

I wish I had played Super Mario Galaxy 2 so I could vote for it and help it in the rankings... oh well, the games I did vote for need votes, too.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - more awesome gameplay than the first.
2. Deadly Premonition - awesome characters and story, nothing like it.
3.Nier - haven't played a lot yet, but so far it's really good, and I hear it gets 10x better.
4. God of War 3 - still fun, never gets old.
5. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - enjoyable in 2 player, cool puzzles, long game.
6. BioShock 2 + Minerva's Den - I enjoyed this just as much as part 1, and the DLC was awesome.
7. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - addicting.
8. Split Second: Velocity - fun racing.
9. Donkey Kong Country Returns - this would be a lot higher if it didn't have waggle as pound move -so annoying and not as responsive as the spin was in NSMB.
10. Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City - not as good as i expected.

Honorable mention- Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain

Still need to play, but will likely end up in my top 10 -
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Minecraft
Sonic Colors

jvm

Gamasutra.
1. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX ; Beautiful, engrossing arcade action and puzzle. Brilliant.
2. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; Lara re-imagined as pure action game. Wonderful.
3. God of War 3 ; Everything the final game should have been, except for the fiddly ending.
4. God of War: Ghost of Sparta ; If not for the bugs, as perfect as God of War in a handheld can be.
5. Sports Champions ; Disc golf and bocce are great relaxation games. Swordfighting needs more now!
6. Vector TD (PSP) ; Deep, extremely challenging TD with nifty visual.
7. Space Invaders Infinity Gene ; Not up to the PMCEDX standard, but still fun.
8. BioShock 2 ; BioShock with better mechanics. Still finishing, but worth it.
9. Joe Danger ; Very cute platformer/cycle game. My kids have had hours of fun.
10. Coconut Dodge ; Sweet game with adorable graphics and music.
x. Dead Nation ; Feels like it could have been much more.
x. Cubixx ; A great demonstration of what a PSP mini can be.
x. Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess ; Cute concept, flawed execution.
x. Age of Zombies ; Good for one play through, but then it's basically dead. Or undead. Something.

1. Darksiders
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Bayonetta
4. Enslaved
5. Assassins Creed Brotherhood
6. Dragon Quest IX
7. Costume Quest
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. Vanquish
10. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Ryn

1. Mass Effect 2; The best action rpg game I have played this year, hands down. I almost completely passed playing this game because the first time I played the first Mass Effect I hated it. Then after seeing a bunch of my room mates playing this game, I decided to give the first one another shot. Ended up loving it, and beasted this game after I finished the first one. Now I absolutely cannot wait for the 3rd one to come out.

2. Super Street Fighter IV; Poured a lot of hours in to this, addicting online play. Cammy <3

3. Bayonetta; Definitely loved the Devil May Cry feel of it.

4. 3D Dot Game Heroes; Absolutely adorable game, definitely brings me back to the old 2D Zelda-esque feel I love so much.

5. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors; This game brought me back to using my ds after so long of it being cold and lonely. Once I started this game I couldn't stop! I had to get all the endings and see the true story of what happened here. Amazing story telling, fun puzzles and interesting characters, all on a DS! Definitely deserves its place on the top ten.

6. Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu ver 1.5; Really addicting. Been playing a good handful of cave 360 ports recently. Basically because my boyfriend bought a japanese 360 this year and have been picking them up left and right. Though I think I like this one more than the other ones that came out this year...mainly because I think I can 1CC it way before the others. (Ketsui and Deathsmiles IIX are still awesome, though).

7. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty; I never really liked RTS'. I wasn't even crazy about StarCraft 2 coming out. Then my room mate gave me one of his guest passes. Tried the game and loved it despite being crushed online and had no idea what I was doing for quite a while. As soon as the time ran out on the guest pass I immediately bought it, played a good amount of it, and enjoyed every second of it.

8. Dance Central; Soo much entertainment playing with friends, and ESPECIALLY with drunk family members. Technology! Also the dance moves are really fun especially getting into the harder routines.

9. Call of Duty: Black Ops; Multiplayer in this is SOOO good. I just am not a fan of having to prestige/lose all your equiment just to continue the "leveling-up" part of the game, which unfortunately I have to admit I really enjoy.

10. Final Fantasy XIII; Started out not liking it that much. But as pretty much every other person has said, it gets really good about 20 hours in the game.

Honorable mention:
Kirby's Epic Yarn: Adorable game, very unique art, I just wish the game was a bit more difficult.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
Completed only 4 games of which 2 are for this year.

1) God of War 3 ; Good gameplay and amazing graphics, which is probably the best on consoles. At some levels, lighting is so good that you can hardly believe you are playing a game.
2) Heavy Rain ; Love the idea of playable movie with different endings which you can control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom