• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

oroboros

1. Super Street Fighter 4
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
4. Dead Rising 2
5. Super Meat Boy
6. VVVVVV
7. Just Cause 2
8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
9. Valkyria Chronicles 2
10. Civilization 5

x. Bayonetta
x. Minecraft
x. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

revolverjgw said:
I've read almost every post with comments, so NYEH
This.

And hey, you never know, some of the people who worked on these games might be taking a look and I'd like them to have an idea of how GAF sees those games in this context of "best of the year".

Boney

Banned
revolverjgw said:
I've read almost every post with comments, so NYEH
Same here, I don't care if you list your arbitriary list, but if you give me reasons why, I'm gonna read it. We're trying to build a community, not a pissing contest.

KajunW

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Street Fighter 4
3. Metroid Other M
4. Final Fantasy 13
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns
6. Kirby's Epic Yarn
7. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor
8. Epic Mickey
9. Monster Hunter 3: Tri
10. NBA Jam

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Limbo
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Heavy Rain
5. Alan Wake
6. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
7. Costume Quest
8. NBA 2K11
9. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
10. Fable 3

Honorable Mentions: Pacman DX & Lara Croft. Havent played enough to place them on my list, but really enjoy what Ive played of them.

roxya

ICallItFutile said:
roxya (no Roman numerals)

I know the rule is in the OP, but it seems silly. Final Fantasy XIII is the proper name. Look at the box art -_-

I 'fixed' it anyway.

iam220

1. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty ; I'm not even a huge rts fan, I mean I was one back in the day of the original starcraft and age of empires. The RTS that came out after that didn't really appeal to me so I see this as a return to form. The game feels incredibly deep and very balanced considering there are 3 completely distinct races. It just a blast to play, managing micro and macro to come out on top is very satisfying and watching pro gamers play this game is not only helpful in bettering your own game but also incredibly entertaining. I see myself playing this game for a very long, long time.

2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; People always talk about "WOW" moments in video games, most of the moments they will mention come from a scripted single player experience, (games like uncharted 2 are a perfect example). BC2 is full of those moments but they come in a completely unscripted multiplayer setting, and each time its something different. Some of the moments I've experienced with this game were so incredibly intense that afterwards I felt like sitting back and lighting up a cigarette. Combine all that with great graphics, AMAZING sounds, fun gunplay and balanced multi-player and you've got a winner.

3. Gran Turismo 5 ; I'm a bit of a car sim nut so despite all of the problems this game has, like grinding, lack of features on launch (still no real time trial leader-boards PD!) , shitty career mode; it's able to win me over by sheer brute force. Soo many beautifully rendered cars, so many tracks and the addition competent physics is what made me love this game despite it's many many flaws. This is a game I see myself coming back to again and again to run time trials with exotic and not-so exotic cars and have 1 on 1 battles with my friend. A must buy for anyone with a ps3 who's even slightly interested in driving games.

x. Call of Duty: Black Ops ; Same old COD gameplay with new weapons and guns, which to me is actually a good thing as I enjoy COD mp quite a bit. The really poor state of the game upon release (pc version) left a bitter taste in my mouth, and while the very recent patch seems to have cleared up most of the problems; the buggy release is what makes this an honorable mention and not my #4.

x. Civilization 5 : I haven't played this game too much, in fact only 12 hours which is nothing when it comes to a civ game. I know it has its problems especially with AI but I feel like fraxis moved in the right direction with the series. The new combat system is fantastic and I prefer the new civics system as well. I know that many people are very disappointed in 5 but I'm sure that after some patches and expansions they too will come around.

1. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
2. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
3. God of War 3
4. Gran Turismo 5
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Medal of Honour
7. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
8. Angry Birds

Grisby

Here we go:

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Bayonetta
3. Alan Wake
4. Halo Reach
5. Bioshock 2
6. Splinter Cell Conviction
7. Heavy Rain
8. Castlevania Lords of Shadow
9. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
10. Red Dead Redemption

Such a bad year for me, my PS3 broke so I practically played no new games this year.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Bayonetta
3. God of War 3
4. Final Fantasy 13
5. Sonic Colors

Sealda

Banned
1. Heavy Rain
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. Meal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
4. God Of War 3
5. World Of Warcraft: Cataclysm
6. MAG
7. Call Of Duty: Black Ops
8. Super Street Fighter 4
9. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
10. Final Fantasy 13

1. Gran Turismo 5 ; Far from perfect game but a near perfect driving experience
2. Mass Effect 2 ; Best character and art direction this gen makes up for meh gameplay
3. Heavy Rain ; Amazing emotional response despite the story and voice acting
4. Final Fantasy 13 ; Stupid and linear, beautiful and addictive
5. God of War 3 ; Perhaps my least favorite of the trilogy, but still delivered epic moments

A year of flawed but awesome games. Still need to get to Reach, Vanquish, Enslaved, AC:B and Castlevania.

wedge55

1. Deadly Premonition
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Minecraft
4. Halo: Reach
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Fallout: New Vegas
7. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
8. Limbo
9. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 – Chaos Rising
10. Costume Quest

Saul

Banned
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns
4. Metroid: Other M
5. Arcania: Gothic 4

Tain

adverse just ganked, like, my entire list.

nah, Cave ports just dominated the shit out of the year by this poll's selection criteria!

h3ro

1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Final Fantasy 13
3. Super Street Fighter 4
4. Super Meat Boy
5. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
6. Heavy Rain
7. NBA 2K11

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
roxya said:
I know the rule is in the OP, but it seems silly. Final Fantasy XIII is the proper name. Look at the box art -_-

I 'fixed' it anyway.

Not my rules, man.

Here's an updated list to page 6 (100 posts per page) of people who need to add a semi-colon in:

Page 1

nelsonroyale

Page 2

Chriswok
CozMick
shahkur
Sadist

Page 3

riceandbeans
Rated-Rsuperstar
hxa155
Blue Ninja
Anth0ny

Page 5

Helmholtz
marc^o^
Roxas
UnluckyKate

Page 6

The Praiseworthy
alr1ghtstart
Danny-Boy
BobsRevenge
paskowitz

Page 7

Feorax
Mr. E. Yis

Page 8

Neon_Icarus
eXistor
gokieks
u_neek
Elixist
Click

EDIT: Narrowed the list down as requested.

CrushDance said:
1. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

WXnwM.gif

iam220

I think it be easier if the author of the script can update it so that it can handle some variance instead of expecting people to fallow a very strict (although simple) guideline.

Haunted

iam220 said:
I think it be easier if the author of the script can update it so that it can handle some variance instead of expecting people to fallow a very strict (although simple) guideline.
Either that or have icallitfutile PM the people affected instead of repeating the same hundred names on every page. :p

Pein

Banned
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Final Fantasy 13
3. Halo: Reach
4. Pokemon Heart Gold
5. Bayonetta
6. Naruto Ultimate ninja storm 2
7. Call of duty Black ops
8. God of war 3
9. Vanquish
10. Bioshock 2

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Haunted said:
Either that or have icallitfutile PM the people affected instead of repeating the same hundred names on every page. :p

PMing people is a last resort. That would take so much time. Even more than just making the list. :lol

It's up to Cheesemeister.

Nert

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
3. Super Meat Boy
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
6. VVVVVV
7. Sonic Colors
8. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
9. Bayonetta
10: Persona 3 Portable
x. Limbo
x. Halo Reach
x. Super Street Fighter 4

List of Shame/Haven't Played Yet: Red Dead Redemption, Fallout: New Vegas, Just Cause 2, Bit.Trip Runner

I spent a lot of this year catching up on games from previous years, so writing this list was a strange process for me. Games like Assassin's Creed 2, Batman: Arkhum Asylum, Mirror's Edge, and Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time kept popping into my head :0

Haunted

ICallItFutile said:
PMing people is a last resort. That would take so much time. Even more than just making the list. :lol

Yeah...

Maybe update your first post and just link to that in future posts? :)

Nert said:
I spent a lot of this year catching up on games from previous years, so writing this list was a strange process for me. Games like Assassin's Creed 2, Batman: Arkhum Asylum, Mirror's Edge, and Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time kept popping into my head :0
The PC version came out this year! You could potentially list that. ;)

iam220 said:

The main one is the semicolon... that one is really pretty crucial. The others are really for simplicity's sake... we're still picking them up, it just makes it easier on us when people use the correct formatting.

ICallItFutile, I really appreciate what you're doing, but if you could limit those lists to just the people not using the semicolon it would make it a lot easier (and a shorter, more directed list). I'll be going through later and sending PMs to the main offenders.

Or yeah, just update the one list and link back to it :) The updates on people not using semicolons is helpful though. Maybe just update with the last page's worth of people not using semicolons.

ICallItFutile said:
Here's an updated list to page 6 (100 posts per page):
Thank god you guys are using an automated parser to keep manual work to a minimum. Jesus.

Next time the thinking should be a little more Apple and little less Unix.

iam220

ICallItFutile said:

If he's enough of a script guru he can probably have his script automatically PM the people whos posts have parsing errors .. but that might be getting too elaborate :lol

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
timetokill said:
The main one is the semicolon... that one is really pretty crucial. The others are really for simplicity's sake... we're still picking them up, it just makes it easier on us when people use the correct formatting.

ICallItFutile, I really appreciate what you're doing, but if you could limit those lists to just the people not using the semicolon it would make it a lot easier (and a shorter, more directed list). I'll be going through later and sending PMs to the main offenders.

Or yeah, just update the one list and link back to it :) The updates on people not using semicolons is helpful though. Maybe just update with the last page's worth of people not using semicolons.

Gottcha. The only reason I was posting the whole list on each page was because I thought some people might gloss over the link.

Just throwing this out there-- but is it possible that changing the thread title to something like this would help:

READ THE RULES! GAF Games of the Year 2010 Voting Thread

I don't know that it would help but it may help diminish incorrect formats.

ithorien

Games of the Year 2010
1. Mass Effect 2 ; Improvement and streamline of the original. Fantastic story, music, and most of all one of the best endings to a game ever.
2. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; Phenomenal expansion to an already great game.
3. Darksiders ; As cliche as it is, the best Zelda game since Link to the Past.
4. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; Perhaps a little biased, but I was always more into that old RTS formula.
5. God of War 3 ; Improved on gameplay, same slash mechanic.
6. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West ; The gamplay and camera might be a little rough, but the style is fantastic. Love all the facial animations.
7. Skate 3 ; Big step up from Skate 2/1, world is brighter, more fun to play in.
8. Just Cause 2 ; One of the best/fun open world games I've ever played. GTA be damned.
9. Rock Band 3 ; Good improvements on an already fantastic formula.
10. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit ; Haven't had this much fun with NFS since Porshe Unleashed.

Honorables
x. Super Meat Boy ; Too overly difficult for my taste, but I respect what it is.
x. Dante's Inferno ; Great God of War clone, it just doesn't quite get there.

BeeDog

1. Fallout: New Vegas ; Buggy and ugly as sin. Despite that, this game manages to sink its claws into you and won't let go. A major improvement over Fallout 3, this game reignited my passion for Obsidian RPG's, and I'm eager to see how they'll expand this game.
2. Red Dead Redemption ; A fantastic and memorable game, with a main character that's easy to like. One blemish is that the game is filled with too many lowlifes and degenerates which is fatiguing, but other than that, it's a top-notch game and much better than GTA4.
3. God of War 3 ; Despite some weak parts in the latter half of the game, this amazingly good-looking game revitalized the GoW franchise in my eyes and is simply pure fun. At its strongest, no game this year could even come close to it.
4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; A solid improvement over the second game, which was already really good. Despite a stupid story, the additional elements in this part helps to flesh out the game very well.
5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; The best multi-player game I've played in a while. Fast, frenetic and thunderous, the game really manages to paint a war scenario.
6. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; Even though I don't play this game online at all, I really liked the meaty single-player campaign, and liked the story that was presented despite being aware that the long-time fans found it disappointing. The best pure RTS game ever, I'd say.
7. Gran Turismo 5 ; Full of minor faults, this game can easily drain you of your patience. But when it works, it WORKS. A fantastic driving model easily overshadows many of the smaller blemishes, and with PD's efficient patching as of late, the game has a promising future.
8. Mass Effect 2 ; I would have never expected such an improvement over the first game, which was a mediocre game at best. The game dropped many of the underdeveloped and cumbersome RPG-lite elements and focused on what it does best, character interaction and providing great scenarios for you to thunder through.
9. Vanquish ; At first, I didn't find this game to appealing. But after playing through it 3 times, I can definitely say it's one of the best 3rd person shooters ever. The frenetic action the game is doing well is undoubtedly unique in the gaming world, and I hope they find ways to expand on this in the future.
10. Yakuza 3 ; At times very cumbersome and old-school (lack of voices, WTF), it still provides a shitton to do, and the storyline is engaging enough to sustain your interest for ~40 hours. A unique addition to the current console gaming world.
x. Heavy Rain ; While I was very down on the ending, in hindsight, I still had some genuine fun with this game. A bold attempt to do something new in the gaming world, it might not have succeeded in many's eyes, but it still provided an experience I didn't regret.
x. BioShock 2 ; I thought this game would be a lackluster cash-in sequel, but lo and behold, I liked it a lot more than the first game.
x. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit ; A very fun car game that becomes exponentially better when you hit the online mode. Too bad the extreme rubberbanding in the single-player mode sucks much of the fun out of the game.
x. 3D Dot Game Heroes ; A very fun and charming game that thrives on its nostalgic effect. The game provides a ton of content should you decide to sink your teeth into it.
x. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat ; There aren't many games that do atmosphere better than the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. A great sequel, but unfortunately many small annoyances piled up and made me quit this game. It was great while it lasted though.

siarraweb

1 - heavy rain
2 - god of war 3
3 - red dead redemption
4 - dead nation
5 - bad company 2
6 - final fantasy 13
7 - gran turismo 5
8 - black ops
9 - lara croft guardian of light
10 - pro evolution soccer 2011

jarosh

you can stop listing me, ICallItFutile. i won't edit my post or change my vote. the pc version of assassin's creed 2 is on my goty list, it came out this year, i played it this year. none of the idiotic, braindead rules or their stubborn interpretation will make me change my vote.

assassin's creed 2 on pc falls under (according to the op):

- New games released to your region this year (can be retail only or downloadable).

even if you want to count it as a port or upgrade or whatever it counts:

- Remakes and visible upgrades count too.

if you wanna look at it that way, assassin's creed 2 is WITHOUTH A DOUBT a visible upgrade over the console version. if you want proof, just look at the screenshots evilore posted a couple of weeks ago.

- Revisions released for the first time on a console or handheld this year (must be a retail version and not downloadable).

i don't know what the hell "revisions" are supposed to be and why the pc as a platform has curiously been omitted from this point, but clearly, if it hadn't been so obviously FORGOTTEN, and this would read:

- Revisions released for the first time on a console or handheld or the pc this year (must be a retail version and not downloadable).

assassin's creed 2 would HAVE to count too.

- Ports that amount to "ROM dumps", i.e., ports with no additional content or significant changes, are not allowed.

if you know anything about pc gaming and assassin's creed 2 in particular, you'd realize that this isn't anywhere close to a "rom dump".

assassin's creed 2 hasn't been released ANYWHERE else in this form. the console versions aren't in the same league visually. much higher resolution textures, better shaders and improved visuals overall should be enough for the game to qualify. unlike something like portal on the mac, which is a straight port of a 3 year old game, that was released in the same exact form on pc already.

Man

1. MineCraft ; a
2. StarCraft 2 Wings of Liberty ; b
3. Gran Turismo 5 ; c
4. MAG ; d
5. World of WarCraft Cataclysm ; e
6. God of War 3 ; f
7. Tumble ; g
8. Hacker Evolution ; h
9. Civilization 5 ; i
10. Red Dead Redemption ; j

iam220

timetokill said:
The main one is the semicolon... that one is really pretty crucial.

You don't even need that, if everyone copy+pastes (as they seem to be doing) the game name than you can run a regular expression on each newline against every game name, see if there is a match and if there is record the location of that match. Then for every match, check for the earliest occurrence of the matched string and that becomes the game the user voted for. You don't even need to number the lines as the script should know the position of each line of text.

so even something like :

"Battlefield: Bad Company 2 : IT'S much better than Call of Duty: Black Ops"

will parse

not saying any of this NEEDS to be done, but maybe something to consider for next year to help smooth things along.

Haunted

jarosh said:
assassin's creed 2 hasn't been released ANYWHERE else in this form. the console versions aren't in the same league visually. much higher resolution textures, better shaders and improved visuals overall should be enough for the game to qualify. unlike something like portal on the mac, which is a straight port of a 3 year old game, that was released in the same exact form on pc already.
werd

I'm sure it not being included in the list of games has just been an oversight.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
for some reason reading Jarosh's post there makes me feel like I just saw an army cadet get blasted by an old veteran. It's scary, confusing but so damn... patriotic?

Calm down, I included AC2 for PC in the games list, (listed as "Assassin's Creed 2 (PC)") at least for now, and will be clarifying this rule going forward.

Edit: that list looks much more manageable, ICallItFutile :D I'll just start sending out PMs about it, probably starting tomorrow.

1. Assassins Creed Brotherhood
2. Mass Effect 2
3. NBA 2K11
4. Bayonetta
5. Bad Company 2
6. Starcraft 2
7. Halo Reach
8. Yakuza 3
9. Civilization 5
10. Heavy Rain

1. Red Dead Redemption ; The best gaming experience this year
2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; Most time spent playing
3. God of War 3 ; Best visual presentation EVER in a game
4. Yakuza 3 ; Awesome game and the fact that we could finally play it was too good
5. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; 33 hours logged, amazing PSP game
6. Gran Turismo 5 ; Love it or hate it, it's GT and it is glorious
7. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; They finally got a 3Dvania right
8. Heavy Rain ; The second best pure gaming experience this year
9. Dead Nation ; Best co-op game this year
10. Super Meat Boy ; Best indie title, so much fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom